Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Exactly. Sydney got lucky, even though its not pure luck, with Mierziejewski and Ninko and theyve reaped the rewards.

Honestly my take of watching the A League for 10 years is that by far the most important position in A League teams is not the striker, its the 10. Other than Mooy and Fred we've never had an adequate one.
You can get away with a 6/10 striker with a 9/10 CAM, but the other way around usually means you'll be pretty good, but not quite there. The star 10 means that you can play counter, or through a team that sits on you and be dangerous. We've been a good case over the past few years that we play decent when the game is on our terms, but as soon as a team sits on us and we have to play through we dont have the creativity and end up getting sucked up the park trying to create a number overload, which leaves us vulnerable on the counter.

Not just those two. They’ve had a decent ‘spine’ for a while now. We tend to look at it in terms of foreigners and locals but just look at their spine over the last few years. Vukovic/Redmayne, Wilkinson, O’Neill/Brillante, Ninkovic/Adrian and Brosque/Bobo/Le Fondre. 

All are experienced, talented central players and built a solid foundation for their sides. It’s not really something we’ve ever achieved. 

58 minutes ago, Harrison said:

In the City style of play that’s only half the job though. That position isn’t just about defensive duties. They’re critical to almost everything. Griffiths can’t do it as well as Brillante, it’s that simple. In fact I just don’t think he’s suited to being a single pivot at all. 

Where we agree is the painful lack of decent midfielders, because it means Josh has to push up and we lose all of his qualities in a vital position. But I will say this: Berenguer gets slaughtered on here because he’s not Ninkovic (I wish he was) but he’s what we need at the moment. As soon as he’s fit he comes back in. I’m very confident that he will help us win matches. Not necessarily because he’s going to dominate, but it’s because he will better balance the midfield and help us control the middle areas. The ball will spend more time in the oppo half. 

Yes I mentioned they use a type of 4-2-2-2. It suits their players. They used Retre next to Bratts last match. If we had another decent striker we could actually attempt something like that by using Berenguer and perhaps Genreau, Metcalfe or Najjarine as the attacking midfielders. But we have Noone, Cabrera, Luna and Wales who are more suited to wide positions from what I’ve seen. If Wales could finish he could be used up top but as we know, his finishing is ordinary. So we go back to a 4-3-3 which shapes, like you said, sometimes as a 4-1-4-1 or in certain phases as a 3-4-3. 

I think this is our biggest area of disagreement in this debate.

Although he's an excellent 6, I think Josh is ultimately wasted there in this side. He's our best midfielder by some distance, not just for his work off the ball but his work on it too. His passing range is absolutely exceptional and he has the engine to be the all action number 8 that we'd otherwise have no alternative to with him out of the side, you lose more further up the pitch by moving him back into the 6 and replacing Griffiths with Florin for Luna.

I also tend to think Rostyn is getting scapegoated a little here. Sure, he's a bit of a lumbering beast, but his passing range isn't anywhere near as bad as what's being made out, in fact he's the only other midfielder we really have who's capable of hitting those long diagonals.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Bruno's CV was very ordinary before he came to us. Quite a few people questioned his signing at first - even the great Murf did so. 

My take on this is that it is actually better for the club to sign visa players on a one-season contract only. If a player wants to be loyal to a club he will be. If he wants to chase more money he will do, and I don't think that there's much evidence that too many players will be held to a contract when they want away - Bruno certainly was one, but most seem to leave as soon as they wish to. Likewise so will the fans be loyal if they want to be. The club can make fans loyal to it in many other ways, and IMO length of player contracts isn't a big factor. 

Personally I’ve questioned the signings of Berenguer, Budzinski, Luna and Cabrera more than Bruno. 

31 minutes ago, Embee said:

I think this is our biggest area of disagreement in this debate.

Although he's an excellent 6, I think Josh is ultimately wasted there in this side. He's our best midfielder by some distance, not just for his work off the ball but his work on it too. His passing range is absolutely exceptional and he has the engine to be the all action number 8 that we'd otherwise have no alternative to with him out of the side, you lose more further up the pitch by moving him back into the 6 and replacing Griffiths with Florin for Luna.

I also tend to think Rostyn is getting scapegoated a little here. Sure, he's a bit of a lumbering beast, but his passing range isn't anywhere near as bad as what's being made out, in fact he's the only other midfielder we really have who's capable of hitting those long diagonals.

Fair enough. Brillante suits a 6 perfectly in this particular system and is the best one we’ve got, and like I said it’s a vital position which starts most offensive phases and requires a lot of mobility to cover gaps and retrieve balls. It’s the most important position I’d say, so I don’t think he’s as wasted as it seems. He’s not quite got the range of short, quick, intricate passing and dribbling needed for the 8 especially given our wingers are not producing. Don’t get me wrong, he’s able to create and has got assists because of it, but his skillset isn’t quite right for that role. He’s still probably our best player though.

At any rate, Berenguer will get his chance and we really need him to fire. He’s shown enough for me to think he can help out in there. 

On 12/12/2019 at 12:58 PM, jw1739 said:

Insistence on just one, same, approach to each match is just a death-wish in terms of results. CFG reminds me of the death of various industries and businesses who "stuck to their strategic knitting" and didn't move with the movement of the world around them - in the end they went under.

I think that the players are realising that. Against Perth, once Perth got the second, they knew they were beaten and they looked like it. A good team and a good strong club would have fought to get back on level terms and get at least a point.

It seems we rarely, if ever, adapt to out smart opposition teams. Teams know what to expect from us now. What about a 4222 and play Najaar with JMac. Griffo and Brilliante 2DMs. Give Noone a spell with Najarine and someone else out wide. 

5 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

It seems we rarely, if ever, adapt to out smart opposition teams. Teams know what to expect from us now. What about a 4222 and play Najaar with JMac. Griffo and Brilliante 2DMs. Give Noone a spell with Najarine and someone else out wide. 

C'mon now. As said before, a 4_2_2_2 works well but relies heavily on the the two FBs getting forward. You're going to expect Najjarine to play that role as a FB? And who else?

My current view is that Genreau is a better #10 then Berenguer who is better than Luna.

Luna is too lazy and isn’t good enough to make up for it in attack. Florin has too many poor games and the gulf between his best and his worst is too large.

i like that Genreau offers quality in attack and works in defence.

i do rate Griffiths but I want to play Metcalfe too, so something has to give.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rass said:

C'mon now. As said before, a 4_2_2_2 works well but relies heavily on the the two FBs getting forward. You're going to expect Najjarine to play that role as a FB? And who else?

No Jamo and Galloway at FB. Just trying to think of a solution to stop improve our defence. Teams have us figured and stupidity is doing the same thing expecting different outcomes. 

3 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

No Jamo and Galloway at FB. Just trying to think of a solution to stop improve our defence. Teams have us figured and stupidity is doing the same thing expecting different outcomes. 

I hear you.

Said it a hundred times but we need that creative player. Not just for the obvious attacking benefits, but also because it will make teams more accountable against us too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rass said:

I hear you.

Said it a hundred times but we need that creative player. Not just for the obvious attacking benefits, but also because it will make teams more accountable against us too.

It’s the same story really every season. It’s becoming repetitive, are we ever going to see this gun marquee or visa signing who can play that creative role! 

On 14/12/2019 at 3:56 PM, rass said:

I hear you.

It’s the same story really every season. It’s becoming repetitive, are we ever going to see this gun marquee or visa signing who can play that creative role! 

• Haha 1

Zlatan is no longer the only free agent on the market that could get this club sell out crowds and put us on the world football map. Lord Bendtner has just been released by FC Copenhagen. 7 years younger and has scored 30 more goals for the Danish National team than Zlatan ever will. Bendtner/MacLaren could be the modern day Quinn/Phillips for those old enough to remember when Sunderland weren't shit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Berenguer rumoured to be out of the door in January! (Talking City gossip). 

Does the club finally look into their mistake, let’s get our shopping list ready!

Would be an interesting one for sure. He's a marquee apparently so we could pay his salary outside the Cap. No issues there, apart from the cost.

I'm keen to see what he does over the next few weeks before the window opens. 

Plenty of half-decent free agents knocking around though...

9 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Zlatan is no longer the only free agent on the market that could get this club sell out crowds and put us on the world football map. Lord Bendtner has just been released by FC Copenhagen. 7 years younger and has scored 30 more goals for the Danish National team than Zlatan ever will. Bendtner/MacLaren could be the modern day Quinn/Phillips for those old enough to remember when Sunderland weren't shit.

I know, just think of all the Danes who will flock back to the club since Jakobsen left 😉

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Would be an interesting one for sure. He's a marquee apparently so we could pay his salary outside the Cap. No issues there, apart from the cost.

I'm keen to see what he does over the next few weeks before the window opens. 

Plenty of half-decent free agents knocking around though...

What position would you go for?

If and that is a big if, Berenguer gets axed we would need get a player capable across the front third. 

I think we are covered deeper midfield with Brillante and Griffiths and possibly Windboiler. 

At CB we are adequate with 3 decent options (when they are in form)

Fullback is a maybe. Galloway is quality and at this stage unremovable but possibly Jamieson but would we get a Marquee in at Fullbacks,  oh wait.

So really for me either a winger or #10, and if we could get a bloke that could do both that would solve alot of questions. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

If and that is a big if, Berenguer gets axed we would need get a player capable across the front third. 

I think we are covered deeper midfield with Brillante and Griffiths and possibly Windboiler. 

At CB we are adequate with 3 decent options (when they are in form)

Fullback is a maybe. Galloway is quality and at this stage unremovable but possibly Jamieson but would we get a Marquee in at Fullbacks,  oh wait.

So really for me either a winger or #10, and if we could get a bloke that could do both that would solve alot of questions. 

Not sure we need more wingers. Stacked with them and Cabrera might end up a good player here, so the rest can fight it out for the other side. I have faith in Noone.

Will be like for like I imagine in terms of position. Central midfielder who is creative and good on the ball, with a decent work rate off the ball if possible. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, citymad said:
Both off contract this season - 

H60yBp50_bigger.jpg

Macarthur FC have flagged their interest in young Melbourne City pair Denis Genreau and Nathaniel Atkinson. The A-League newcomers plan to get a closer look at the two Young Socceroos in Sunday's match between Melbourne City and Sydney FC at Jubilee Stadium.

They're a new club and will be linked with every single player who is off contract.

• Like 4

• jw1739 pinned this topic