Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, rayv36 said:

Covert agent reckons McGree to Perth next season due to his stagnation under old mate Joyce. 

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/the-covert-agent-perth-glory-hunting-riley-mcgree-for-asian/f29ju3rsl9411q0z1ycig709u

I loved to see him stay with us and being played as a number 8 under a different coach. Total fuck up from us if he decides a loan term somewhere else, so much for our player development ideology.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rayv36 said:

Covert agent reckons McGree to Perth next season due to his stagnation under old mate Joyce. 

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/the-covert-agent-perth-glory-hunting-riley-mcgree-for-asian/f29ju3rsl9411q0z1ycig709u

Perth know there's a salary cap yea?

EDIT: just remembered they have Pignata now. That would explain it.

Edited by haz

4 hours ago, rayv36 said:

He's certainly stagnated. Whether that's because of Joyce or not is a moot point. Showed very little yesterday against Perth - put clean through and didn't even get a shot away. A goal then would have put us 3-0 up.

Wales is another one. Given every chance  but the final touch just isn't there.

Both of them have become "head down and run like shit but it all comes to nothing" players.

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

McGree hasn’t been given every chance, he’s not a winger or wide midfielder - Joyce is destroying this kid. Pivotal player if played right and motivated.

I think the injury he got earlier in the season certainly didnt help his confidence either. Whatever the case, he has to put it behind him and improve sharply.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

He's certainly stagnated. Whether that's because of Joyce or not is a moot point. Showed very little yesterday against Perth - put clean through and didn't even get a shot away. A goal then would have put us 3-0 up.

Wales is another one. Given every chance  but the final touch just isn't there.

Both of them have become "head down and run like shit but it all comes to nothing" players.

All of which we had before with Kamau .

3 hours ago, citypool said:

I read a list of players the ffa is looking for next season Ryan babbel was one of the names. If they won’t get us a del piero or a Honda then someone like Babel would be perfect 

Never heard of him. Del Piero certainly made a difference to attendances, as did David Villa,, but I doubt that there's anything to show that Honda has made any significant difference to either actual attendances or viewer numbers.

I don't believe this "FFA/Fox marquee" idea works.

If FFA really wants the league to progress, then remove the cap or at the very least increase it by a substantial amount. Also remove the "minimum spend" that clubs must make, and then those clubs who wish to spend more can do so, and those who do not don't have to.

Otherwise we're just farting around the edges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

If FFA really wants the league to progress, then remove the cap or at the very least increase it by a substantial amount.

Won't matter. The demographics in Australia won't support local investment in an uncapped model , so therefore multinationals will bully themselves in then after a few years when they realise they aren't getting ROI, they will pull back their spending and we will be back where we were with a capped league but totally run by foreign entities.

Personally, I don't want to see that.

21 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Won't matter. The demographics in Australia won't support local investment in an uncapped model , so therefore multinationals will bully themselves in then after a few years when they realise they aren't getting ROI, they will pull back their spending and we will be back where we were with a capped league but totally run by foreign entities.

Personally, I don't want to see that.

Why wouldnt they get a ROI?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Never heard of him. Del Piero certainly made a difference to attendances, as did David Villa,, but I doubt that there's anything to show that Honda has made any significant difference to either actual attendances or viewer numbers.

I don't believe this "FFA/Fox marquee" idea works.

If FFA really wants the league to progress, then remove the cap or at the very least increase it by a substantial amount. Also remove the "minimum spend" that clubs must make, and then those clubs who wish to spend more can do so, and those who do not don't have to.

Otherwise we're just farting around the edges.

I’ve always argued that if they want to start with an initial compromise for both sides then it should be the 5 visa players are outside the cap. Basically what MLS does. That frees up a lot of cap money for paying domestic players more etc.

then later on the whole cap goes.

13 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

yep, babbel with the backing and the resources to bring in his own men would be a great combination.  Clear issues at WSW.

Don't think the OP was referring to Markus Babbel...he referred, I think, to a Dutch player Babel?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Don't think the OP was referring to Markus Babbel...he referred, I think, to a Dutch player Babel?

Ah yes, a Fulham player that no one appears to have heard of.

He may well be a good player at this level, but he hardly seems like the sort of player to excite the attentions of those not already rusted on to sokkah. TBH, if Timmy can't do it, and Honda can't do it, I'm not sure a marquee strategy can genuinely put more backsides on plastic seats. Which I think is what you said above @jw1739

41 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Ah yes, a Fulham player that no one appears to have heard of.

He may well be a good player at this level, but he hardly seems like the sort of player to excite the attentions of those not already rusted on to sokkah. TBH, if Timmy can't do it, and Honda can't do it, I'm not sure a marquee strategy can genuinely put more backsides on plastic seats. Which I think is what you said above @jw1739

I known him, bit of traveller, got lost after Liverpool but recently got his career back on track with stints in Turkey, Spain and England. He’s back in the Dutch squad too after missing out several years. He would be an asset for the league and a better player than Leroy George.

Personally for me, a marquee is not about putting bums in the stands but to lift the level of the game and team.

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I known him, bit of traveller, got lost after Liverpool but recently got his career back on track with stints in Turkey, Spain and England. He’s back in the Dutch squad too after missing out several years. He would be an asset for the league and a better player than Leroy George.

Personally for me, a marquee is not about putting bums in the stands but to lift the level of the game and team.

And I'd agree with you. Though whether I'd encourage the poor bugger to come to City right now, I'm not sure... 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Club marquees are about improving the club and its results. The OP referred to FFA looking at this Babel fellow - and my understanding is that these FFA/Fox marquees are about bums on seats and eyes on TV screens. That's what Cahill was about too.

In terms of City, according to reports we've already allocated Maclaren one of the allowed marquee places for next season, leaving just one more. Who knows WTF CFG will do with the latter - if anything.

Between now and October we'll be linked to just about every player under the sun, and we will see names on the Forum that range from the unknown to the far-fetched.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Club marquees are about improving the club and its results. The OP referred to FFA looking at this Babel fellow - and my understanding is that these FFA/Fox marquees are about bums on seats and eyes on TV screens. That's what Cahill was about too.

In terms of City, according to reports we've already allocated Maclaren one of the allowed marquee places for next season, leaving just one more. Who knows WTF CFG will do with the latter - if anything.

Between now and October we'll be linked to just about every player under the sun, and we will see names on the Forum that range from the unknown to the far-fetched.

Cahill wasn’t marquee I thought?

Apologies I see what you mean now. We are talking about 2 different marquees, the club and the fox marquee.

Edited by Mr MO

1 minute ago, HughJass said:

Joey lynch reporting Dylan pieras off to Western united.... Don't blame him 

These things are annoying, but there's not a lot we can do about it. He's a Scholarship player, out of contract at the end of this season. You would have hoped that we were organised and already building our squad for next season, but he's had FA game time this season and we can't blame him for taking what's probably a sound offer from WU.

I do hope that we not going to let the changes at Bundoora stuff up our recruiting for next season...

6 hours ago, HughJass said:

Saw him and Delianov at crown after the derby, made the comment "its western united's new number 2 keeper and number 2 right back", Delainov smirked at me and said "Mate you know to much"

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, HughJass said:

This truly sucks. If we’d jettisoned Voldemort the kid might have got game time and a new contract.

i can imagine his file. “Plays too fancy, doesn’t kick enough people”, “should pass back more”

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

This truly sucks. If we’d jettisoned Voldemort the kid might have got game time and a new contract.

i can imagine his file. “Plays too fancy, doesn’t kick enough people”, “should pass back more”

As I understand it, it's Petrillo's job to look after "talent management", and I would have thought that this would encompass plotting a pathway for our youth players - and there are a lot of them coming though the Academy. But there is never going to be room for them all in the City seniors.

If we are really pissed off that talent such as Delianov and Pierias is leaving us and going to play with WU, then it makes a mockery of the opinion that there isn't enough Australian talent around to feed an expanded A-League.

So there are two sides to this.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

As I understand it, it's Petrillo's job to look after "talent management", and I would have thought that this would encompass plotting a pathway for our youth players - and there are a lot of them coming though the Academy. But there is never going to be room for them all in the City seniors.

If we are really pissed off that talent such as Delianov and Pierias is leaving us and going to play with WU, then it makes a mockery of the opinion that there isn't enough Australian talent around to feed an expanded A-League.

Good luck to both of them if we are not going to give these young talented players a go then someone else will. I have no doubt that if the others don't get a decent go they will leave too once contacts are up. 

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

No problems with Delianov. Wish him well of course.

its not petrillo who decides who plays. Since wazza arrived Pierias has hardly had a look in, very disappointing to see him leave. 

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic