Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

11 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Don't we have a bunch of promising youth ? 

Probably, but it's more about filling the squad.

Plus you get a proven, strong and experienced goal scorer (who can forget him destroying us in that SF a few years back), who can come off the bench and cause havoc later in games or start when Bruno is unavailable.

From that point of view, it's not a bad idea. Also follows a proven formula that Sydney used with that fuckwit Simon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rass said:

Plus you get a proven, strong and experienced goal scorer (who can forget him destroying us in that SF a few years back), who can come off the bench and cause havoc later in games or start when Bruno is unavailable.

From that point of view, it's not a bad idea. Also follows a proven formula that Sydney used with that fuckwit Simon.

Exactly. We still have to sign two further players to the seniors to reach the minimum number of 20.

1 hour ago, rass said:

Completely agree with this.

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

Don't we have a bunch of promising youth ? 

We have, but no centre forward to act as a back up striker.

1 minute ago, jeffplz said:

We now have both. De Laet and Bort as CBs is a fucking insane duo. We have like 5 different midfield formations we can choose from and they're all quality.

Eh tbh after this signing, I think it's more likely that De Laet is our RB, or Waz is looking a formation that involves 3ATB

23 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Normally defend the club.

But now we’ve signed Good not really a big fan of Richie as our Marquee should’ve used it on a winger or a player that can play anywhere across the front 3! 

For all we know De Laet might only be getting paid $400k. The marquee position these days is just to help with accounting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Still feel as though wasting money on a RB (unless Good is a squad CB) when Atkinson played well at RB last season! 

I just want to win trophies.

We will have to wait a few games to see where we are at....

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Still feel as though wasting money on a RB (unless Good is a squad CB) when Atkinson played well at RB last season! 

Just wait and see what this bloke can do in the A league i guess.. he could tear it a new one.. Good is made of paper and will most likely get injured again anyway

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Normally defend the club.

But now we’ve signed Good not really a big fan of Richie as our Marquee should’ve used it on a winger or a player that can play anywhere across the front 3! 

Jesus mate, how many versatile attackers do you want? we're absolutely stocked with this type of player. cannot understand this school of thought. 

1 hour ago, AXIOM said:

Squad looking strong. As for the youth they might as well pack there bags no chance of any of them getting a run this year. Sad really. 

Nonsense. Unless they are absolutely outstanding talents they need to learn their trade/profession like everyone else does. And they're in the best environment for football in Australia for doing just that.

Quality on paper signings in De Laet and Good. Especially if La Rocca can get fit that's the back four looking very strong. And Griffiths can play at centreback, perhaps?

Joyce in the pre-match interview video (here): "There's no more spaces, that's done"

So it seems that's it for recruitment at the moment

4 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Quality on paper signings in De Laet and Good. Especially if La Rocca can get fit that's the back four looking very strong. And Griffiths can play at centreback, perhaps?

Joyce in the pre-match interview video (here): "There's no more spaces, that's done"

I'm hoping for Djite still!

9 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

By my calculations that's only 19 players signed to the seniors. Unless one of the Scholarship boys has been elevated without a formal announcement.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

By my calculations that's only 19 players signed to the seniors. Unless one of the Scholarship boys has been elevated without a formal announcement.

I'd be happy with Djite (or similar) as a back-up, although in a perfect world I would like to see Najjar or Najjarine making the bench.

I think Joyce has a little bit of history with being cagey with the truth about our signings, so it wouldn't surprise me if we made one more signing (however, it'd be an Australian and probably not too expensive signing).

But I'd say the starting 11 and probably the bench is settled at this point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Nonsense. Unless they are absolutely outstanding talents they need to learn their trade/profession like everyone else does. And they're in the best environment for football in Australia for doing just that.

Nonsense. Unless our 18-19 year old's are playing games at the highest level they will become like so many others we see......just HAL players. Hence the quicker they get out of this country the better. I agree that they might be in the best environment in Aust but thats just it "in aust". As one Graham Arnold put it "the HAL is not a development leauge"  

2 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Nonsense. Unless our 18-19 year old's are playing games at the highest level they will become like so many others we see......just HAL players. Hence the quicker they get out of this country the better. I agree that they might be in the best environment in Aust but thats just it "in aust". As one Graham Arnold put it "the HAL is not a development leauge"  

So straight into the Slovenian First Division, German 3rd Divison or the reserves of some middle tier Austrian club?

24 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Remind me over the past 5 seasons or so which Australian-18-19 year-olds have gone overseas and straight into "...playing games at the highest level...."

34 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Remind me over the past 5 seasons or so which Australian-18-19 year-olds have gone overseas and straight into "...playing games at the highest level...."

I meant the highest level possible ie u23 German English etc second division German Italian Spain England  etc clearly the opportunities  here are almost non existent  

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Anything further on the rumour that we were about to sign "...a former Adelaide player...?" There was speculation that this might be Bruce Djite.

By my count we're still one short of the minimum of 20 players on senior contracts.

Pretty sure that was a joke.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic