Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, haz said:

Yea this is how it seems to be. Very interesting how our starting XI looks. Mooy's Pasty Belgium Cousin hasn't played as a CB for a full season in a few years. So it looks like Atkinson is going to be dropped to the bench this year, unless we play Atkinson--DeLaet--Bort--Jamieson just as a regular back four and Delbridge gets dropped.

I just wonder that if we do go for 3-ATB in attack and 5-ATB in defence, if our players are smart enough to stay concentrated on this during games

To be fair, Bart was a RB that adapted incredibly well here so perhaps the same logic has been used re De Laet.

Either way flexibility all round.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

To be fair, Bart was a RB that adapted incredibly well here so perhaps the same logic has been used re De Laet.

When you think about it, our defenders, midfielders and attackers can all rotate across their lines.

We are going to mindfuck teams this season

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

To be accurate Bart is a Centre Back...

Check games played in each position.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/bart-schenkeveld/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/124895

Edit: I believe when we signed him the press release described him as a right sided defender and I recall there was some confusion as to where he was to play.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, malloy said:

To be accurate Bart is a Centre Back...

Check games played in each position.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/bart-schenkeveld/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/124895

Edit: I believe when we signed him the press release described him as a right sided defender and I recall there was some confusion as to where he was to play.

As you can see on his stats, the last season he played in Holland, he was mainly at RB.

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if De Laet was on our radar. He would have been under Joyce for united reserves. My first thought is he wouldn't be a great improvement, but Joyce knows him better and maybe he will be a good fit for the club.

Good point. I knew he was part of the United reserves (even won player of the year). But my brain never made the connection

Edited by haz
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Was on 25,000 pounds a week at Villa 

~$2.35m AUD per year

Doesn't matter if he is marquee. (Assuming a loan) Villa can pay 100% of his wages or  0%. Cap won't matter.

If we are paying a certain %, I doubt it would be more then  $1.0-$1.3m.

It is good to learn that his contract is expiring at the end of the season. If he's a gun and enjoys the life (I hope he brings over his family since he seems really passionate about them on social media). Then we would be in a good negotiating position to sign him permanently. 

Edited by haz

2 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Marquee type ❌ not a marquee player 

Better CB than Malik ✅

I will be angry if Joyce starts De Laet over Atkinson 

On paper, he is marquee quality for the HAL. Were you expecting a big name?

Hype and social media clicks dont win you trophies

Edited by haz
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, haz said:

~$2.35m AUD per year

Doesn't matter if he is marquee. (Assuming a loan) Villa can pay 100% of his wages or  0%. Cap won't matter.

If we are paying a certain %, I doubt it would be more then  $1.0-$1.3m.

It is good to learn that his contract is expiring at the end of the season. If he's a gun and enjoys the life (I hope he brings over his family since he seems really passionate about them on social media). Then we would be in a good negotiating position to sign him permanently. 

Remember they only play 27 rounds here so its at least 25% less than that. Realistically something closer to 600k is more likely, esp as most transfer windows are now closed.

• Thanks 1

He's under contract at Villa until 30th June 2019, so this is most likely to be a loan. He's played two EFL matches for Villa so far this season - last on 28th August.

I can't see any reason why he would not qualify as a marquee. City would not be negotiating with him if they had not already cleared that with FFA. The concept of "marquee" has been diluted in recent seasons.

If he follows the previous route I assume that he is still in the UK and would not come all the way here if he had not already passed a medical in Manchester - bloody waste of time otherwise.

The risk is that some other bloody club steps in at the last minute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He's under contract at Villa until 30th June 2019, so this is most likely to be a loan. He's played two EFL matches for Villa so far this season - last on 28th August.

I can't see any reason why he would not qualify as a marquee. City would not be negotiating with him if they had not already cleared that with FFA. The concept of "marquee" has been diluted in recent seasons.

If he follows the previous route I assume that he is still in the UK and would not come all the way here if he had not already passed a medical in Manchester - bloody waste of time otherwise.

The risk is that some other bloody club steps in at the last minute.

If he has a medical in Manchester I'm sure he would sign the 'real contract' there. Then do all the photo stuff with Petrillo's big head for the 'media contract' signing

3 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Getting help from FFA fund for this 

Martins would not even come close to qualifying for the fund

Edited by haz

https://www.edenmagnet.com.au/story/5645217/phoenix-want-obafemi-martins-as-marquee/?cs=4783

Wellington Phoenix are hoping to use the A-League's marquee fund to help mount a bid for former Inter Milan and Newcastle United star Obafemi Martins.

AAP understands the Phoenix have received the green light from Football Federation Australia to pursue Martins, who is currently contracted to Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua.

FFA has categorised Martins as a 'class B' marquee player, meaning they would contribute only a modest sum from the remainder of their $3 million marquee fund should the Phoenix agree to terms with him.

It's understood any deal would still come inside Wellington's salary cap.

Meanwhile, Brisbane Roar is still waiting on a final answer from ex-Arsenal midfielder Mathieu Flamini as to whether he will take up their marquee offer.

Flamini had indicated a desire to come to the Roar but negotiations have dragged on for several weeks and the longer they take, the less hopeful those involved are of a deal being completed.

All up, there have been 12 applications from clubs to use FFA's marquee fund since it was established but only one successful signing - Keisuke Honda to Melbourne Victory.

However, FFA is believed to be monitoring a number of other players who could become available in the next transfer window and potentially provide the A-League with a mid-season boost.

Edited by CityBoyz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

https://www.edenmagnet.com.au/story/5645217/phoenix-want-obafemi-martins-as-marquee/?cs=4783

Wellington Phoenix are hoping to use the A-League's marquee fund to help mount a bid for former Inter Milan and Newcastle United star Obafemi Martins.

AAP understands the Phoenix have received the green light from Football Federation Australia to pursue Martins, who is currently contracted to Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua.

FFA has categorised Martins as a 'class B' marquee player, meaning they would contribute only a modest sum from the remainder of their $3 million marquee fund should the Phoenix agree to terms with him.

It's understood any deal would still come inside Wellington's salary cap.

Meanwhile, Brisbane Roar is still waiting on a final answer from ex-Arsenal midfielder Mathieu Flamini as to whether he will take up their marquee offer.

Flamini had indicated a desire to come to the Roar but negotiations have dragged on for several weeks and the longer they take, the less hopeful those involved are of a deal being completed.

All up, there have been 12 applications from clubs to use FFA's marquee fund since it was established but only one successful signing - Keisuke Honda to Melbourne Victory.

However, FFA is believed to be monitoring a number of other players who could become available in the next transfer window and potentially provide the A-League with a mid-season boost.

Ah I stand corrected.

Don't know how he still qualifies for the fund though. He would be unknown to any football fans. And I could guarantee that around 33% of HAL fans have never heard of him. Imsurprised FFA are even helping the NIX

If he qualifies for the fund, then Ross would have too. (Not that I'm saying I want him)

21 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

What are the chances of signing Curtis good now?

Well, firstly De Laet actually needs to sign rather than be a rumour.

If we do also sign Good (I doubt it since its only based off one tweet), then its bad news for Atkinson or Delbridge/La Rocca

1 hour ago, haz said:

If he has a medical in Manchester I'm sure he would sign the 'real contract' there. Then do all the photo stuff with Petrillo's big head for the 'media contract' signing

Martins would not even come close to qualifying for the fund

Really?

Probably over the hill now, but a real big name if you ask me, not that you did, but understand, if you did, that’s what I’d say, unless I changed my mind of course, which is unlikely, because I always felt the Guy was a gun.

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Really?

Probably over the hill now, but a real big name if you ask me, not that you did, but understand, if you did, that’s what I’d say, unless I changed my mind of course, which is unlikely, because I always felt the Guy was a gun.

The whole point of this stupid fund is for metrics. If a player won't help market the league, then they won't qualify for it.  He is/was a good player, but he isn't going to improve the league metrics.

Yes, I want players like him in the league, but this FFA fund frustrates me. Its very subjective and could also allow favouritism 

3 minutes ago, haz said:

The whole point of this stupid fund is for metrics. If a player won't help market the league, then they won't qualify for it.  He is/was a good player, but he isn't going to improve the league metrics.

Yes, I want players like him in the league, but this FFA fund frustrates me. Its very subjective and could also allow favouritism 

Could allow favouritism? I'd say that's almost entirely what it's intended for. Now CFG have criticised the FFA we're getting nowt. 

• Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic