Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

19 minutes ago, haz said:

No way Ikon would even be close to marquee wages.

Well if that’s the case then the marquee will be a CB and what Joyce said about two spots and it’s an attacker was misinterpreted or he was telling fibs (which he has form for)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, morphine said:

what did he say out of interest?

Oh just around the time when Ross was dropped for a couple of games last year. Like why he was dropped etc etc

The thing is all coaches lie and spin. I don’t really have a problem with it, just needs to be kept in mind. In fact I hope Joyce wassnt telling the complete truth in this case, I agree with @haz there is a big Jackobsen shaped hole in the defense.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, haz said:

=========================

Time for some detective work:

1. His last location was "Ristorante La Nepitella". 17 hours ago

2. This is at Lago di Bracciano, about 45mins from Rome International Airport

3. From the attendant in the red hat on his tv, I assume that's Emirates.

4. He posted that story 40 minutes ago, although it looks like it wasn't taken directly on Instagram (not sure how Instagram works)

5. Let's assume, that he did take the image and posted it immediately.  I also assume that he posted this while boarding, not in the air.

6. Therefore, what Emirates flights took off from Rome international airport between 3pm and 4pm CEST.

7. At 3:25pm CEST, Emirates EK 98 departed for Dubai. If he was flying elsewhere in Europe he wouldn't be going through Dubai

8. That flight arrives in Dubai around 11:30pm Dubai time.

9. Since Dubai is the flight hub for Emirates, I doubt he would be changing carriers (ie. Etihad), hence now we look for Emirates flights from Dubai.

10. A further Assumption is that the average transfer time is between 2-4 hours. So what Emirates flights take off (there will be heaps) during between 2am and 4am Dubai time.

11. Flights of interest are, EK408 Melbourne - 02:40am and EK420 Perth - 02:45.

...... I really have no life. But my conclusion is that if he is indeed coming to us, the announcment will be Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning.

Good detective work! If he was heading to us wouldn’t we put him on a Etihad flight?

• Like 2

On 10/09/2018 at 12:11 AM, haz said:

Time for some detective work:

1. His last location was "Ristorante La Nepitella". 17 hours ago

2. This is at Lago di Bracciano, about 45mins from Rome International Airport

3. From the attendant in the red hat on his tv, I assume that's Emirates.

4. He posted that story 40 minutes ago, although it looks like it wasn't taken directly on Instagram (not sure how Instagram works)

5. Let's assume, that he did take the image and posted it immediately.  I also assume that he posted this while boarding, not in the air.

6. Therefore, what Emirates flights took off from Rome international airport between 3pm and 4pm CEST.

7. At 3:25pm CEST, Emirates EK 98 departed for Dubai. If he was flying elsewhere in Europe he wouldn't be going through Dubai

8. That flight arrives in Dubai around 11:30pm Dubai time.

9. Since Dubai is the flight hub for Emirates, I doubt he would be changing carriers (ie. Etihad), hence now we look for Emirates flights from Dubai.

10. A further Assumption is that the average transfer time is between 2-4 hours. So what Emirates flights take off (there will be heaps) during between 2am and 4am Dubai time.

11. Flights of interest are, EK408 Melbourne - 02:40am and EK420 Perth - 02:45.

...... I really have no life. But my conclusion is that if he is indeed coming to us, the announcment will be Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning.

Looks like Business Class on an A380 Emirates.

EK098 from Rome to Dubai is the one that uses an A380. Pre-take-off drink at Rome I would say.

Dubai to Melbourne and Perth use an A388 which has different cabin fit-out.

Images deleted.

Edited by jw1739
Images deleted.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Good detective work! If he was heading to us wouldn’t we put him on a Etihad flight?

Either simply costs, or that since he wouldn't have signed a contract why chuck him on an Etihad flight when he could do a Troisi and do a U-turn

57 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Curtis Good reportatly returning as well as a marquee foreign forward having a medical  and Birighitti to be made official 

All 3 would sound awesome let’s see if it eventuates 

EB65DF85-4916-41F2-ACC1-A09883684D59.jpeg

Ugh. Good hasn't played in years and is always injured. I would only sign him on minimum wage but we won't want that since he's been sitting on his arse receiving EPL level salary (even if it's the lower bracket).

WE NEED A DECENT CB! NOT A MARQUEE FORWARD

18 minutes ago, haz said:

Either simply costs, or that since he wouldn't have signed a contract why chuck him on an Etihad flight when he could do a Troisi and do a U-turn

Ugh. Good hasn't played in years and is always injured. I would only sign him on minimum wage but we won't want that since he's been sitting on his arse receiving EPL level salary (even if it's the lower bracket).

WE NEED A DECENT CB! NOT A MARQUEE FORWARD

Marquee forwards are fun though hey !!

Being hypothetical, let's assume we don't sign an overseas or marquee centre back, especially given Wazza's known preference for defence first. Does it mean:

1. Wazza thinks he already has what he needs and/or can develop youngsters to come through in this position

2. He thinks we were too defensive, or insufficiently creative going forward, last season? 

Sure, Curtis Good is a risk. But I've seen plenty of players who didn't thrive in one place do well elsewhere. He was successful with us seven years ago, there's a good chance he will be again. And there is cover of sorts, perhaps even a good youngster coming through (there was a young lad who played in India and looked OK?). A marquee forward is genuinely exciting... 

• Like 1

Going off transfermarkt free agents... Nasri would be the big fish. What's he up to these days? 

Would love Agbonlahor, Bent, Anichebe. 

Berbatov and Keane probably too old. Landon Donovan in the same basket. 

Tonev would be epic, as would Simon Dawkins. 

No one else of much interest. Could bring Jeronimo back to Aus?

1 hour ago, dconder13 said:

I’d rather a solid aussie CB, we already have a VISA CB. I think the VISA/Marquee should be filled by a more creative player that can really nfluence a game & can provide for Bruno and score goals himself, i think that’s what the side is lacking at the moment. 

For once I would like a season where we have 5 Visas (assuming they are all decent) all on the pitch regularly. If we sign another VISA attacker, someone is going to leave unhappy in January.

36 minutes ago, morphine said:

Going off transfermarkt free agents... Nasri would be the big fish. What's he up to these days? 

Would love Agbonlahor, Bent, Anichebe. 

Berbatov and Keane probably too old. Landon Donovan in the same basket. 

Tonev would be epic, as would Simon Dawkins. 

No one else of much interest. Could bring Jeronimo back to Aus?

Remember it can be a loan player too,

Sako would be the only free agent attacker I would take. My heart still is for a CB.

Curtis Good only had 7 appearances in 5 years. I understand he was injured for a while but still...7 ap in 5 years is not good. We need a defender who we know will be fit and play well. I understand he played with us and was decent but a lot can change it that time period. 

Should either sign a marquee defender or sign a good defender who does start under our budget and ROSS

51 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Curtis Good only had 7 appearances in 5 years. I understand he was injured for a while but still...7 ap in 5 years is not good. We need a defender who we know will be fit and play well. I understand he played with us and was decent but a lot can change it that time period. 

Should either sign a marquee defender or sign a good defender who does start under our budget and ROSS

Not quite true. In the 6 years in the U.K. he played in 63 matches, including 2 for Newcastle United, 5 for Dundee United and 9 for Bradford City. The problem was that he suffered a serious hip problem, and most of his matches were for the Newcastle U-23 side.

The last I read was that he has overcome that injury. https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/aussie-defender-curtis-good-chases-new-challenge-as-time-at-epl-side-newcastle-comes-to-an-end/news-story/64cb3bf8bd924f2011fc7907cc9d1a0b

He's still only 25. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Not quite true. In the 6 years in the U.K. he played in 63 matches, including 2 for Newcastle United, 5 for Dundee United and 9 for Bradford City. The problem was that he suffered a serious hip problem, and most of his matches were for the Newcastle U-23 side.

The last I read was that he has overcome that injury. https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/aussie-defender-curtis-good-chases-new-challenge-as-time-at-epl-side-newcastle-comes-to-an-end/news-story/64cb3bf8bd924f2011fc7907cc9d1a0b

He's still only 25. 

I guess La Rocca needed a friend in the Germano Treatment Centre

Don’t bash me but admittedly, I haven’t had the chance to witness Good’s performance in the Heart days + there seems to be none on YouTube ...was pretty surprised to see the positive comments on the rumour so he must be something special? Anyone ever seen him perform back then? 

16 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Don’t bash me but admittedly, I haven’t had the chance to witness Good’s performance in the Heart days + there seems to be none on YouTube ...was pretty surprised to see the positive comments on the rumour so he must be something special? Anyone ever seen him perform back then? 

Yes, very accomplished player.

• Like 2

Without being a party pooper, I think you need to look at his performances in context of a few factors.

Firstly and probably most importantly matchday results.

Who else was in the squad at the time and whether he was keeping any quality out of the starting lineup. 

Comparison to same like for like players in opposition teams.

From my memory he was decent but still raw but he was no way a leading player in the league. 

If he can play injury free I think alongside Bart he will be dependable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Without being a party pooper, I think you need to look at his performances in context of a few factors.

Firstly and probably most importantly matchday results.

Who else was in the squad at the time and whether he was keeping any quality out of the starting lineup. 

Comparison to same like for like players in opposition teams.

From my memory he was decent but still raw but he was no way a leading player in the league. 

If he can play injury free I think alongside Bart he will be dependable. 

Newcastle United thought enough of him to give him a 6-year contract at the age of 19.

His hip injury first occurred in an international vs. Ecuador in March 2014, - still aged 20 at the time - and despite that injury he was named in the provisional squad for the 2014 World Cup Finals. (Later withdrawn because of the injury).

Pretty impressive record for a young player.

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Newcastle United thought enough of him to give him a 6-year contract at the age of 19.

His hip injury first occurred in an international vs. Ecuador in March 2014, - still aged 20 at the time - and despite that injury he was named in the provisional squad for the 2014 World Cup Finals. (Later withdrawn because of the injury).

Pretty impressive record for a young player.

Live in the present JW, not in the past!

I'm all for giving him a chance. As long as he's under $150k

11 hours ago, haz said:

Live in the present JW, not in the past!

I'm all for giving him a chance. As long as he's under $150k

I wouldn't go that far even. $75k absolute maximum and one season only. I note that no-one in the UK is so far prepared to take him on - not even a non-league club.

so Birighitti is official!

wondering if he is the key to taking control of the back 4 structurally? 

22 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Curtis Good reportatly returning as well as a marquee foreign forward having a medical  and Birighitti to be made official 

All 3 would sound awesome let’s see if it eventuates 

EB65DF85-4916-41F2-ACC1-A09883684D59.jpeg

so 1/3 confirmed now. 

if the foreign forward is already here, surprised it hasn't leaked already so the announcement would be imminent you'd think.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic