Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

31 minutes ago, playmaker said:

It's funny but true.

Interestingly Marwood said in April that Arzani was staying another season for his own good. Oh how that changed when $$$$$ could be made after the world cup.

'Marwood has also committed Australian wonderkind Daniel Arzani to staying in the A-League for another season, declaring it the best place for his development.'

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/warren-joyce-backed-to-continue-at-city

nothing to see here, move along.

I think Daniels ambitions have a lot to do with why he isn’t in Melbourne anymore!

imagine the price they would’ve got for him if he dominated a full season 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rass said:

Exactly.... But hey, why let logic interfere with an opportunity to have a dig at the club...

In a business sense also the  return on investment would've been pretty good if Daniel had of stayed in my opinion.

Pay him $100,000 a season compared to whatever Manchester are now paying him. would get no one of any comparable quality for $100,000 and would have been our poster boy for the season!  

On 8/27/2018 at 5:27 PM, IssySG said:

Warren Joyce: "There's still plenty of time between now and October, obviously we've got other places left on the roster to add to the overall strength of the squad..."

Again, I understand and trust the club to be doing their due diligence to make sure we get the right fit and the right player at the right price, it's just so hard to practice patience during an offseason.

This is what we do every season. "Don't panic there's plenty of time left"...we finalise the squad a few weeks out from the season start, then it takes a couple of months for the team to gel and to learnt to play together and by that stage we've given the other teams a head start.

18 minutes ago, Deeming said:

This is what we do every season. "Don't panic there's plenty of time left"...we finalise the squad a few weeks out from the season start, then it takes a couple of months for the team to gel and to learnt to play together and by that stage we've given the other teams a head start.

What are you talking about?

Last season we won our first 4 games and the season before that we were excellent until the FFA Cup final and then we started to fall apart. If anything we've started our last two seasons very well before experiencing slumps about 30% of the way through

Edited by Embee
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Embee said:

What are you talking about?

Last season we won our first 4 games and the season before that we were excellent until the FFA Cup final and then we started to fall apart. If anything we've started our last two seasons very well before experiencing slumps about 30% of the way through

giphy.gif

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Embee You seem across most of what's happening at the club - any comment on how we will use Michael O'Halloran? I was a bit surprised he didn't come on last night when Wales was subbed. 

My guess is as good as yours tbh. I wouldn't be too worried at this point though, there's still plenty of pre-season left and Joyce has typically made players who come into the squad after others (Wales was here before Michael this pre-season) work pretty hard to force their way into the team.

Edited by Embee

Id dare say we will have our marquee and visa done around next FFA cup game. People seem to forget that most other leagues have a 5-6 week preseason so mid sep'ish makes sense. 

Oh and just because I like seeing the forum explode.

Seems like the players are on a small break atm

3 hours ago, Embee said:

My guess is as good as yours tbh. I wouldn't be too worried at this point though, there's still plenty of pre-season left and Joyce has typically made players who come into the squad after others (Wales was here before Michael this pre-season) work pretty hard to force their way into the team.

Do not have a problem with Wales starting. The problem MOH has is that Joyce thinks that Atkinson is a better winger. As it put him on the wing when he took Wales off

Just now, Inchcolm said:

Do not have a problem with Wales starting. The problem MOH has is that Joyce thinks that Atkinson is a better winger. As it put him on the wing when he took Wales off

You're basing this off one game, still deep into the Australia pre-season? You'll fit in brilliantly around here with knee jerk reactions like that ;)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dconder13 said:

Where tf did that come from

Proves the point that despite all our panic on this forum, no one truly knows WTF is going behind closed doors at the club.

Well done to City for keeping it quiet, let's hope he does great here.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

As I said in the other thread Delbridge was playing well and Wales was done fitness wise. It was the most logical decision that could be made. 

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Embee You seem across most of what's happening at the club - any comment on how we will use Michael O'Halloran? I was a bit surprised he didn't come on last night when Wales was subbed. 

This is a massive concern AFAIAC O'Halloran not coming on in his dedicated RW position is poor form from Joyce. Atkinson did not put one cross in in his time at RW. O'Halloran will be pissed off i am sure. 

So is our squad better? In my opinion

======================================

(I am guessing for our new signings, they could be duds)

image.png.86c251120ed0a8843e72917663817fa6.png

======================================

Some points:

• A quality marquee visa CB would be an improvement on Jakobsen.
  • Biggest hole so far is not replacing Arzani
  • O'Halloran & Berenguer could be duds. But on paper they are better players.
  • Caceras is better then Budzinski due to actually getting on the pitch, contributing in his last stint, and also not taking a marquee & visa spot.
  • Genreau and Tongyik never got game time, so they dont really count in this discussion
  • Although not a new signing, if Delbridge steps up this year. He will be a perfect replacement for Muscat in a ultility position.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

Marquee cb could transform our squad imo. We get a cb twice as good as Bart but who organises. Good luck scoring a goal against us.

whats William Gallas doing these days?

or a player who’s body can’t keep up with the demands of champions league and premier league football. Who had a mare this week. Who wants to stay within cfg

welcome Kompany

Edited by Dylan

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Marquee cb could transform our squad imo. We get a cb twice as good as Bart but who organises. Good luck scoring a goal against us.

whats William Gallas doing these days?

or a player who’s body can’t keep up with the demands of champions league and premier league football. Who had a mare this week. Who wants to stay within cfg

welcome Kompany

If we're looking at free agents....

(Does Bruno know that Polenta bloke? Theyve both played at the same clubs
image.png.1fe6caf9c8c115c2f2d2f9264aba47ec.png

Judging by Joyce's comments in the HUN article today, we still seem to be chasing a marquee 10/winger. IMO thats a better option than a marquee CB although i wouldnt be disappointed either way.

In fairness to Malik and Delbridge, the defence has looked solid af in the first couple games and we've not looked like conceding.

31 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Judging by Joyce's comments in the HUN article today, we still seem to be chasing a marquee 10/winger. IMO thats a better option than a marquee CB although i wouldnt be disappointed either way.

In fairness to Malik and Delbridge, the defence has looked solid af in the first couple games and we've not looked like conceding.

they look good until they make a catastrophic mistake and we all go back to hating them. Never have I ever been anxious with Bort...I am always sweating when it comes to Malik and Delbo

34 minutes ago, bt50 said:

The amount of balls Rostyn cut off might be the reason, outstanding pick up!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, rass said:

Proves the point that despite all our panic on this forum, no one truly knows WTF is going behind closed doors at the club.

Well done to City for keeping it quiet, let's hope he does great here.

Outside of the club and myself of course. 

5 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Taste of France 

I'll pay it

• Like 1

It seems we've recruited (and continue to recruit) a large group of midfielders all of a very similar quality, in that none is clearly better than the other. I can't really identify a clear 3 or 4 blokes who start out of: Brattan, McGree, Vidosic, Malik, Griffiths, Berenguer and Caceres. Plus the best of the young crop coming through seem to be mids/attacking mids and ALSO people still think we're going to sign a marquee CAM. Have we over done it a bit in the one category?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

It would be extremely dissapointing if we did not sign a visa marquee CB. Malik & dellbridge just cant be trusted unfortunantely. Its way too risky. Bart can only do so much. 

It has to be a CB. We would be crazy to sign another winger, it would only end in tears.

Our current wingers (Some do play multiple positions):

• O'Halloran
  • Florian
  • Wales
  • Vidosic
  • Caceres - rotation CAM
  • Atkinson - starting RB
  • McGree - starting CM
  • Najjarine - Youth

Our current centre backs (Some do play multiple positions):

• Bart
  • La Rocca - AWOL
  • Delbridge - Rotation Defender
  • Malik - Starting CDM
  • Griffiths - Starting CDM
  • Graham - Youth
  • Metcalfe - Youth

Currently we only have one out-n-out CB, that is Bart. In comparison, we have about 4 players who could (and have) started on the wing multiple games.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

It would be extremely dissapointing if we did not sign a visa marquee CB. Malik & dellbridge just cant be trusted unfortunantely. Its way too risky. Bart can only do so much. 

Thomas Vermaelen would fit the bill not playing at Barca and was linked to us 

Edited by CityBoyz

• jw1739 pinned this topic