Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

27 minutes ago, rass said:

I really think Honda is a significant risk. He even came out and said he was about to retire and that he will still continue in a coaching role in Vietnam.

Could just imagine the uproar on this forum if he said that and joined us.

Thoughtful Victory fan in my office (I know, non sequitur but allowed by exception) also isn't convinced. Doesn't think he'll fit, or live up to billing. Bear in mind what they've lost too... 

Really would rather have our roster, and the promise of the next Arzani. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Sydney FC have added some attacking firepower to their squad for the Hyundai A-League 2018/19 Season with the signing of former Premier League striker Adam Le Fondre.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/sydney-fc-sign-prolific-english-striker

Not marquee though. Seems they are doing their usual where the squad salary is quite split between players on alot, and players on minimum

Edited by haz

46 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/the-covert-agent-chris-ikonomidis-nearing-a-league-return/1up7vn8f5htjt1hoplryq4df7u

Chris Ikonomidis rumoured to City wonder where we use our marquee spot if we get Ikonomidis?

Yes would take him as our Winger. If we end up signing a marquee as winger too I would be dissapointed that Ikon would take a Youth's potential spot.

Tbh this is so similar to the situation we signed Mcgree in

But if we did sign him and no winger marquee........ Vermaelen CB Marquee rumors will be a little more possible

----------------------------------------------------------------------
On a different note, any takers? Yay or nay?

http://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12961/11474568/juventus-agree-to-cancel-claudio-marchisios-contract

Edited by haz

Just now, haz said:

Yes would take him as our Winger. If we end up signing a marquee as winger too I would be dissapointed that Ikon would take a Youth's potential spot.

But if we did sign him........ Vermaelen CB Marquee rumors will be a little more possible

----------------------------------------------------------------------
On a different note, any takers? Yay or nay?

http://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12961/11474568/juventus-agree-to-cancel-claudio-marchisios-contract

Would take Vermaelen any day of the week and Marchisio as well as marquee. Would boss the league.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

It's a Forum assumption that we will have a marquee. Nothing more than that.

Yea im sitting on the fence atm about that opinion. For all our past marquees we have had some sort of news article (English or non-english) leak. But there still is a few months to go so heaps of time. Just wish we could sign one for once earlier in pre-season.

3 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Now this trumps Honda any day of the week get this done City ! 

50320440-7A08-46A2-933B-6161D1A532E3.jpeg

I pulled that SkySports link out my arse with no connection. I wonder if Mr Walker jumped on here saw it and then posted that tweet.

Edited by haz

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Has had a lot of injury problems in the past two seasons.

His transfermarkt picture is of him injured

7 minutes ago, n i k o said:

There's something oddly satisfying about CFG not getting us a big name marquee. Maybe it's in the satisfaction that producing talented youth players is a priority instead. 

Id rather watch a 18 year old grow and play their hardest over two seasons then some 30+ year old walking around (Asking not to defend.... Honda) for a season getting soft tissue injuries while picking up a salary twice as much as the next guy.

Tbh I just want someone who can win the league for us.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, playmaker said:

Marwood has made it quite clear that we won't be getting any big signing

CFG have been happy to promote their New York franchise -operating in the independent Major League Soccer - by spending on big names. Even though a single A-League high-profile marquee salary would account to little more than 1 per-cent of the reported $361 million annual wage bill of the Manchester City first team, CFG are unconvinced of any benefit in the current Australian market.

"Did the Villa experiment work? Nope, because he wasn’t here long enough. We’ve accepted the criticism, we’ve dealt with the criticism and moved on. Did the Timmy [Cahill] experiment work? Yes and no…. There were some very special Tim Cahill moments, but also people have to trust us that we kind have run clubs quite successfully." Marwood said. "We have to treat it as a business. We’ve done it in Manchester, we did it in New York and we’ll do it here."

It means CFG will adjust their spending to the market. Instead of exciting names, their investment will be directed towards areas within its own control. The academy, coaching development and training facility will be the priority of the club who've found its biggest triumphs in Australia through the pathway for player progression. Notably, that of Socceroo Aaron Mooy. His road from Melbourne City to English Premier League club Huddersfield has only grown CFG's appetite for young Australian talent. Highly-rated youngsters Daniel Arzani and Nathaniel Atkinson appear the next two on the production line directed towards the top European leagues and it won't be long before others are introduced to CFG's global network.

@playmaker I'd like the reference to that Marwood quote if you could send it to me.

IMO CFG have made it very clear the direction Melbourne City will be taking, at least while the current restrictions around the A-League are maintained. Their focus on the players they do recruit for us is going to be the undervalued player, to which we can add value. Perfect examples are Bruno and Bort. They're looking for these players in their twenties - I doubt that we're going to see the over-30s brigade with us. I would think Ikonimidis would be a very good fit with their thinking - 23 and not quite making it at Lazio, while still clearly a talented player. IMO we're more likely to sign him that we are Marchisio. We're going to have some misses with this strategy, but we're also going to have some hits.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@playmaker I'd like the reference to that Marwood quote if you could send it to me.

IMO CFG have made it very clear the direction Melbourne City will be taking, at least while the current restrictions around the A-League are maintained. Their focus on the players they do recruit for us is going to be the undervalued player, to which we can add value. Perfect examples are Bruno and Bort. They're looking for these players in their twenties - I doubt that we're going to see the over-30s brigade with us. I would think Ikonimidis would be a very good fit with their thinking - 23 and not quite making it at Lazio, while still clearly a talented player. IMO we're more likely to sign him that we are Marchisio. We're going to have some misses with this strategy, but we're also going to have some hits.

Add Mcgree to that too

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

playmaker I'd like the reference to that Marwood quote if you could send it to me.

Oh and I have more if you like:

I just hope people don't have a hissy fit when the blatant lies are revealed.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/warren-joyce-backed-to-continue-at-city

Melbourne City's supremos have given Warren Joyce the tick after his first A-League season, endorsing the Englishman to continue in his role irrespective of City's finals fate.

But whether he'll be given a superstar name to work with in year two remains up in the air, as City Football Group (CFG) ponder the pros and cons of investing.

Joyce will get his first taste of finals football on Friday night when City host Brisbane in an elimination final.

Visiting CFG heavyweight Brian Marwood said Joyce was "absolutely" the man to continue the job after leading City to a club record third-placed finish.

"He came in to work with a lot of players and staff he didn't know and that takes some time to adapt and work out where everybody fits," Marwood said.

"As we saw for the first four, five months, there were some ups and downs. It wasn't a smooth transition.

"I look now and I see a manager who's really managing in the way that we wanted him to manage.

"The players have really responded well ... everybody's really positive and I see an energy and desire.

"I see a really happy environment. We're very comfortable."

Melbourne City determined to keep Arzani

The biggest challenge came in December, when Socceroos legend Tim Cahill left the club acrimoniously after failing to get a guarantee over match minutes.

It was a major turning point for the club, which backed Joyce over Australia's biggest-name player.

Marwood said the Cahill experience wouldn't deter City from pursuing another heavyweight as they chase improved crowds and a bigger footprint in the Australian game.

The key criterion on bringing an international-quality player to Bundoora will be simple: will they improve the team?

"With big stars there is a price for that and we have to treat all of our businesses like a business," he said. "The important thing is the credibility on the field.

"Would we consider a big name player? Of course we would, if we felt it was right for the football side which is the most important thing.

"Are we going to move the dial by doing something exciting?

"We tried it with Tim. We tried it with Robi Koren. We've seen varying degrees of success in terms of a bigger fan base.

"Ultimately the bigger fan base will come by winning."

Presently, City's marquee slots are taken by Bruno Fornaroli and Marcin Budzinski.

While Fornaroli is untouchable, it would be no shock to see the Pole move on after struggling with form and fitness to make just eight starts during his first season in Australia.

Marwood has also committed Australian wonderkind Daniel Arzani to staying in the A-League for another season, declaring it the best place for his development.

6 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Im not sure any or MrWalkers announcements have been wrong. Its hard to say with this one as its not categoric

If you could provide some evidence/history of this I would be ever so pleased

1 minute ago, haz said:

If you could provide some evidence/history of this I would be ever so pleased

I cant be bothered going back through time but most of what he puts on twitter turns out to be spot on. Theres only one i can think of were he said that the deal was all but done and it ended in the player doing a last minute dash to another club

22 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Oh and I have more if you like:

I just hope people don't have a hissy fit when the blatant lies are revealed.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/warren-joyce-backed-to-continue-at-city

Melbourne City's supremos have given Warren Joyce the tick after his first A-League season, endorsing the Englishman to continue in his role irrespective of City's finals fate.

But whether he'll be given a superstar name to work with in year two remains up in the air, as City Football Group (CFG) ponder the pros and cons of investing.

Joyce will get his first taste of finals football on Friday night when City host Brisbane in an elimination final.

Visiting CFG heavyweight Brian Marwood said Joyce was "absolutely" the man to continue the job after leading City to a club record third-placed finish.

"He came in to work with a lot of players and staff he didn't know and that takes some time to adapt and work out where everybody fits," Marwood said.

"As we saw for the first four, five months, there were some ups and downs. It wasn't a smooth transition.

"I look now and I see a manager who's really managing in the way that we wanted him to manage.

"The players have really responded well ... everybody's really positive and I see an energy and desire.

"I see a really happy environment. We're very comfortable."

Melbourne City determined to keep Arzani

The biggest challenge came in December, when Socceroos legend Tim Cahill left the club acrimoniously after failing to get a guarantee over match minutes.

It was a major turning point for the club, which backed Joyce over Australia's biggest-name player.

Marwood said the Cahill experience wouldn't deter City from pursuing another heavyweight as they chase improved crowds and a bigger footprint in the Australian game.

The key criterion on bringing an international-quality player to Bundoora will be simple: will they improve the team?

"With big stars there is a price for that and we have to treat all of our businesses like a business," he said. "The important thing is the credibility on the field.

"Would we consider a big name player? Of course we would, if we felt it was right for the football side which is the most important thing.

"Are we going to move the dial by doing something exciting?

"We tried it with Tim. We tried it with Robi Koren. We've seen varying degrees of success in terms of a bigger fan base.

"Ultimately the bigger fan base will come by winning."

Presently, City's marquee slots are taken by Bruno Fornaroli and Marcin Budzinski.

While Fornaroli is untouchable, it would be no shock to see the Pole move on after struggling with form and fitness to make just eight starts during his first season in Australia.

Marwood has also committed Australian wonderkind Daniel Arzani to staying in the A-League for another season, declaring it the best place for his development.

I'm just curious, what lies are you speaking of? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

I cant be bothered going back through time but most of what he puts on twitter turns out to be spot on. Theres only one i can think of were he said that the deal was all but done and it ended in the player doing a last minute dash to another club

Yea I know it would be alot of work but It would be good to see if maybe someone did last season for example

13 minutes ago, haz said:

Yea I know it would be alot of work but It would be good to see if maybe someone did last season for example

This is Mr Walker  track record

This season he’s got the Spiranovic, Halloran, O’Doherty, Stefan Mauk, Goodwin, Nigro, Elrich, Corey Brown

Last season got the Bozanic to City , Fabio Ferreira to Sydney, Tim Cahill to Millwall, Mark Milligan to UAE, Peter Skapetis joining CCM, Antonis to Victory, Vidosic to City, Fernando Brandan leaving city,  Valkanis leaving, Carrusca to City, Xavi Torres to Perth, Adrian to Sydney, Luke Wilkshire to Sydney, Milligan to Victory, Jamo to City, De Silva to CCM, Williams to Victory, 

Theres some pretty reliable but will have to wait and see

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On paper this should easily be a top 2 team (with 1 VISA spot still spare). But making these signings and them playing well together is another question...
lineup.png.9462da34081e69e08ce64ace0fc6f331.png

SUB: Bouzanis/Galekovic, Caceres, Vidosic, Wales, Malik

RES: Delianov, Delbridge, Pierias, Najjar, Najjarine

RES2: Youth GK, La Rocca, Graham, Iannucci, Lesiotis, Metcalfe, Cavallo

Some Points:

• This is assuming the recent rumors are true (excluding Marchisio).
  • I have no idea if Bouzanis or Galekovic will leave if Birighitti is signed.
  • Very pacy wingers who can beat a player and put in a cross. Mcgree has the vision to make the passes and also contribute some goals.
  • Last season we had the 2nd best defense in the league (4th best attack thanks to Ross). With this team above, our defense would be even stronger. So where will the goals come from? Sydney had 64 Newcastle 57, Victory 43 and we had 41. In my opinion we should be aiming for 50 minimum. In this case, Bruno would need 15, Mcgree 8, O'Halloran 6, Ikon 6,  Vidosic 5, Brattan 3, Defense 3, Caceras 2, Wales 1, Youth 1
  • Caceres and Visosic are first choice subs. Both can replace CAM, LW, RW. Vidosic can also play ST. Of course many youth coming through are also wingers.
  • Malik is our defensive sub. He can rotate with Griffiths for CDM or CB.
  • Due to injuries I can see Pierias, Najjar, Najjarine and Iannuci getting runs this season.
  • La Rocca to not make a single appearance 
Edited by haz
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, n i k o said:

There's something oddly satisfying about CFG not getting us a big name marquee. Maybe it's in the satisfaction that producing talented youth players is a priority instead. 

Yeah it's so satisfying finish 4th every year and going out in the first week of the finals #draintheswamp

• Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic