Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Chungy! Having seen an outlandishly high amount of this guy at Bolton I'd think he'd be a great signing, was supposed to come back to the Trotters in the off-season but couldn't get a work permit in the UK so he's definitely a possibility. He's kinda the opposite of O'Halloran in the sense that he's not an all pace winger, but rather a pretty tricky skilful type.

• Like 2

Would be a good replacement for arzani. Hopefully if we get him he would be played 😂. 

To go from epl to A-League will hopefully give us an advantage as he played in top league football clubs including an awesome run at Bolton 

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

He's kinda the opposite of O'Halloran in the sense that he's not an all pace winger, but rather a pretty tricky skilful type.

Thats the kind of player we need at City. Someone who can give the forwards service.

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Agree, he's just the sort of hard-working player that we need. He's not a 'big star' that might destabilise the team and his work ethic is likely to win him favour from Wazza (we don't want him sitting on the bench like Marcin)

Also doesn't have plans to become manager of a obscure footballing nation while playing in the A League.

Always a bonus 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, haz said:

Yea Newcastle would seem more likely. Is their owner Chinese or Korean?

Chinese and imo we would be more likely to sign him than they would. He'd cost somewhere in the vicinity of 1.5mil imo, given he refused a US1mil contract back to Korea in January.

13 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Newcastle aren't poor under their new ownership. Thats a myth 

Im not saying they are. I just dont think theyre going to sign another big money marquee, and esp a Korean one. I believe their owner actually came out and said theyd sign a Chinese player.

He'd be well on the CFG radar too having played for Bolton and Palace too.

IMO we are most likely because he pretty much exactly fits what we are looking for.

Edited by bt50

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Im not saying they are. I just dont think theyre going to sign another big money marquee, and esp a Korean one. I believe their owner actually came out and said theyd sign a Chinese player.

He'd be well on the CFG radar too having played for Bolton and Palace too.

I just think they would look for a Asian player as there in the ACL but they also need a replacement for O’Donovan as he will miss a majority of the season 

12 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

I just think they would look for a Asian player as there in the ACL but they also need a replacement for O’Donovan as he will miss a majority of the season 

You can get injury replacements, but can you get suspension replacements?

14 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Those inbred muppets will be in ACL for 5 minutes  now that they have to go through qualification rounds. so i dont think there is a point for them  to sign an Asian for that reason.

We'll have to have some action soon. Although there's an expectation that one or two Scholarship players will be offered senior contracts, we still have only 16 players signed to the senior squad, meaning that we have to sign 4 more players to get to the squad minimum. The squad maximum is 23, and 26 if we use the "23+3" rule.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We'll have to have some action soon. Although there's an expectation that one or two Scholarship players will be offered senior contracts, we still have only 16 players signed to the senior squad, meaning that we have to sign 4 more players to get to the squad minimum. The squad maximum is 23, and 26 if we use the "23+3" rule.

Isnt it 23 + 6 now?

Just now, Heart of oakleigh said:

I thought it was 20 + 6.

I could be wrong, but i think its 20 minimum, 23 maximum, however most clubs are going closer to the 20 so they can buy better quality players (ie 2 million divided by 20 is more than 2 million divided by 23)

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 I'd better check and report back. I take it that "23+6" is the squad maximum plus the 6 allowed Scholarship players?

Jeez it must be hard for the clubs to keep up with FFA's rule changes.

Are scholarship players included in the cap?

Well, what it says here https://www.a-league.com.au/salary-cap-system is:

"At all times during the Season, a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster must have:

• a minimum of 20 Players;
  • a maximum of 23 Players;
  • a minimum of 2 Goalkeepers;
  • a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 20 or under;
  • and a maximum of five foreign players.

Guest Players, Designated Players and Mature Age Rookie Players sit outside the Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster. Players on a Club’s Foxtel Y-League Player Roster, including Scholarship Players, are also eligible to participate in the Hyundai A-League."

Elsewhere (e.g. https://www.a-league.com.au/news/signing-news-talented-young-trio-link-city) I can find the following in several articles:
"The A-League Scholarship program allows clubs to sign up to six players from its Foxtel National Youth League roster on senior contracts."

So I would say that the squad size maximum is indeed 23+6. So we have a lot of room in which to move.

7 minutes ago, haz said:

Are scholarship players included in the cap?

No.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No.

Well in that case, im sure we have 3 youth players who are fringe 1st team quality.

Minimum wage is $55k right?

So we might as well have a squad of 20+3, and spend the extra $165k on signing a better quality VISA. Im sure most regular VISAs are on around $300k-$400k, being able to offer $565k could tempt a younger and higher calibre player.

For example

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2016/08/dutch-eredivisie-players-average-salary-hits-e266000-a-year/

(Yes I know its 2016)

The average salary for a player in the Dutch Eredivisie went up slightly to €266,000 ($418,000) a year in the 2014/15 season, according to website Voetbal International.

PSV’s Luuk de Jong is one of the biggest earners, with an annual salary of €2.55m ($4,000,000) plus bonuses. By contrast, a player at PEC Zwolle will earn no more than €200,000 ($314,000) a year, VI said.

So an extra $165k would be a approx ~40%-60% wage increase of a typical Eredivisie player, which could be the difference in signing a 26-28 year old 1st team regular, rather then a 32-35 year old bench warmer.

Imagine two Borts :wub:

Edited by haz

If teams are only allowed a maximum of 5 foreign players (Bart, Bruno, MOH and La Rocca) then we have only one more foreign place left in the squad. Big decision time which position should be filled as I have said before my priority would be a Centre Half

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

If teams are only allowed a maximum of 5 foreign players (Bart, Bruno, MOH and La Rocca) then we have only one more foreign place left in the squad. Big decision time which position should be filled as I have said before my priority would be a Centre Half

La Rocca is now an Aussie citizen, so we have two visa slots remaining. 

• Thanks 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic