Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

29 minutes ago, mulhollanddrive said:

Don't we say this every August, then some old guy comes along 3 weeks before season with an injury and JVS says he'll train and try to be fit for the first game.

And by Christmas we are all hoping he is fit and will carry the team on the annual unbeaten run.

On 19 August 2016 at 10:32 PM, mulhollanddrive said:

Martin Caceras is South American and injured so ticks all the boxes

1 hour ago, illeatyourheart said:

It's not like he'll get a look in anyway

Only chance he gets a look in is if both Bruno and Cahill were injured, or (more likely) Cahill is away on NT duty and Bruno is injured.

Even then, he's at least behind Gameiro, who looks like he'll be fit a few weeks into the season. 

37 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Only chance he gets a look in is if both Bruno and Cahill were injured, or (more likely) Cahill is away on NT duty and Bruno is injured.

Even then, he's at least behind Gameiro, who looks like he'll be fit a few weeks into the season. 

Gamerio said that he isn't going to rush it this time around and is looking to return in a much longer time frame. At the port game he was still thinking a few months from playing.

35 minutes ago, eric forman said:

Gamerio said that he isn't going to rush it this time around and is looking to return in a much longer time frame. At the port game he was still thinking a few months from playing.

I am afraid I have my doubts whether Corey will pull on a City match-day jersey again. Crowley is probably being signed as an injury replacement.

Edited by jw1739

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I am afraid I have my doubts whether Corey will pull on a City match-day jersey again. Crowley is probably being signed as an injury replacement.

Really.  I'm completely opposite. I have zero doubts. Just a matter of when not if. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but so far our levels of injuries have reduced massively. Last season we brought in several injured or recovering players and slowly got them right and since then the injuries have been minimal. 

Now impact injuries are expected but it's more the soft tissue Germano/Hughes/Koren  etc types we haven't had much off.

Now obviously posting this will prompt so injuries this week. But touch wood as far as I can tell injuries have been good.

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not quite sure why you think this? Every indication is that he's progressing nicely and is a required player.

If he does it again once he returns then that will probably be it for him, but he'll definitely be back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

Really.  I'm completely opposite. I have zero doubts. Just a matter of when not if. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but so far our levels of injuries have reduced massively. Last season we brought in several injured or recovering players and slowly got them right and since then the injuries have been minimal. 

Now impact injuries are expected but it's more the soft tissue Germano/Hughes/Koren  etc types we haven't had much off.

Now obviously posting this will prompt so injuries this week. But touch wood as far as I can tell injuries have been good.

We now have the Germano Centre, a SOTA treatment centre teaming with doctors, phsios, OTs, exercise physiologists

5 hours ago, JC22 said:

I'm not quite sure why you think this? Every indication is that he's progressing nicely and is a required player.

If he does it again once he returns then that will probably be it for him, but he'll definitely be back.

I admit I don't have the statistics, but my comment was based on the feeling that it cannot be easy to resume professional football after two ACL injuries to the same knee.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I admit I don't have the statistics, but my comment was based on the feeling that it cannot be easy to resume professional football after two ACL injuries to the same knee.

Daniel Menzel from Geelong has done three (or is it four?) ACLs and he still managed a few games this year. I have faith in the Germano Medical Centre.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Clay Smith for the Bulldogs also did his ACL twice with very similar timing to Gameiro - had a few games back and then did it again.

I had more or less written him off, now he's come back and playing better than he ever did before.

Scorey will be back.

58 minutes ago, InMyHeart said:

JvS: We're close (to completing our squad for the season). We still have a marquee spot available so we're looking around carefully.

I have no faith we will fill both Visa Spots... Continually doing business that will ultimately find us coming up short

Calm ya farm, we have seven weeks until the first ball is kicked. Seven weeks is an enternity in football.

59 minutes ago, InMyHeart said:

JvS: We're close (to completing our squad for the season). We still have a marquee spot available so we're looking around carefully.

I have no faith we will fill both Visa Spots... Continually doing business that will ultimately find us coming up short

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

Calm ya farm, we have seven weeks until the first ball is kicked. Seven weeks is an enternity in football.

Plus JVS is always going to sound coy on signings, every manager does and JVS is probably the worst. I don't believe what he said for a second. IMO the signings are just going through the final phases before being official. Like our two Visa spots in Manchester for medicals or something along those lines.

1 hour ago, InMyHeart said:

I agree. Cahill may have delayed us announcing any other players but the longer it goes on the greater the worry especially now that the Euro leagues have all started or are about to start. I wonder who would be left to take.

• Like 1

From the club website:

"The Head Coach also confirmed that Ivan Franjic and Corey Gameiro will not play a role in the match with Franjic still recovering from his virus and Gameiro only weeks away from full training. van’t Schip also confirmed the Club has two key spots to fill on its roster, including a marquee role, but gave no hints as to who or what position they are targeting. “We’re close but there are still a few things we are working on and hopefully we can get them done before the league starts,” he said. “We still have a marquee spot available and also another spot as well so we’re looking carefully and hopefully we can get them before the league starts because the earlier we get them in, the earlier you can work with them. “We want to get the right player in and it may take a bit more time but we are working very hard on it.”

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/vant-schip-confirms-cahill-could-make-ffa-cup-debut/1x38hcfv3euxd1u7mmdu1dgm3k

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Plus JVS is always going to sound coy on signings, every manager does and JVS is probably the worst. I don't believe what he said for a second. IMO the signings are just going through the final phases before being official. Like our two Visa spots in Manchester for medicals or something along those lines.

I also don't feel JVS has much of a say or plays much of a role on the players that come in.

19 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Not sure there's any truth to it, but a bloke who claims to be connected on big footy reckons our mystery CB is Gremio's Wallace Reis da Silva

very interesting if true, I dunno anything about him other than what I just googled but he seems to be a reasonably talented and very experienced centre back in a league which I'm pretty sure Tesla rates as one of the best 5-6 leagues in the world.

If true, it's going to be interesting to see whether he'll be a marquee or not because the A-League's only ever really attracted C-grade Brazilians or washed up A-graders, so I'm convinced a signing like this would be a competition first. 

• jw1739 pinned this topic