Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I understand the FFAs motives at different times. They need Sydney and Melbourne teams to bring in big crowds so when they do expand its another Sydney or Melbourne team. Smaller locations ie Gold Coast and North Queensland just don't have the population base for an a-league franchise. Yes they have a Sydney bias and seemingly an anti City bias but they are aiming for big tv deals to keep the league sustainable. Are they doing a good job? Well that's another question.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

silva don't forget that we don't have clubs here, we have franchises, the franchiser always has the upper hand

I know they are franchises Bela. However, to most supporters they are their clubs.

I honestly don't see the league improving unless major changes are made. Somehow clubs need to find a way of retaning the best youth team players for longer periods. That way the interest in the country will increase. If you add a few quality visa players, then you begin to further increase interest. The FFA need to take a long term view of the game and implement the changes that is going to improve the league's chances of success.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I know they are franchises Bela. However, to most supporters they are their clubs.

I honestly don't see the league improving unless major changes are made. Somehow clubs need to find a way of retaing the best youth team players for longer periods. That way the interest in the country will increase. If you add a few quality visa players, then you begin to further increase interest. The FFA need to take a long term view of the game and implement the changes that is going to improve the league's chances of success.

My view is continued development of a higher quality of players will result in a better standard of older players in the league. This improvement helps the league overall. The a-league should still be aiming to export players to the top 6 leagues in Europe. But those players coming back will create better competition and improve the next gen. Let that repeat and things will improve markedly. Youth players sticking around in Aus does nothing for them or the league. No one would come out to see Tom rogic play for CCM if he stayed here another three years, until you prove yourself in Europe , Aussies don't take notice: the same will apply for mooy. I want him at the club forever but he needs to go to Europe.

Also the stupid part is that Mooys play for us the last year or two is above what he will do in Europe but Aussies come for the name not for the football they're actually watching.

Edited by perthheart
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, perthheart said:

My view is continued development of a higher quality of players will result in a better standard of older players in the league. This improving get the league overall. The a-league should still be aiming to export players to the top 6 leagues in Europe. But those players coming back will create better competition and improve the next gen. Let that repeat and things will improve markedly. Youth players sticking around in Aus does nothing for them or the league. No one would come out to see Tom rogic play for CCM if he stayed here another three years because he wasn't proving himself in Europe: the same will apply for mooy. I want him it the club forever but he needs to go to Europe.

I understand what you are saying, however, if we improved the overall coaching in Australia and facilities, then we could keep players here longer and then when they turn 24/25 may be better prepared to make a go of it in Europe.

Tom Rogic has been at Celtic for three years and in that time he has been blighted with injuries. It is very difficult to say he has improved as a player. The same happened to Aaron Mooy. You could say Mooy has improved since he went back to Australia.

The Australian players I remember from watching football over here are Kewell, Emerton, Cahil and Aloisi. It would be interesting to find out what percentage of  Australian players who went over to Europe as a young player have returned to play successfully in Australia.

The biggest factor that will increase the people's interest is the success of the national team.

I have mixed feelings about Cahill joining the club.

Of course the short term PR win that the FFA and City will gain will be significant, but where does that leave the focus for us on the park?

We are a club that has tried the guest player card before with Villa and look how that ended up. It destabilised the team in the end and made the club look like a joke in the process when it needed to get it right.

Then it comes down to how we fit Cahill into the system on the park. Bruno has to play up front and Cahill's best position is that same spot. It just doesn't seem like a situation that will bring great benefits.

Oh well, if we do keep Bruno, sign Cahill and a foreign playmaker it will certainly show that City have stepped up their investment in the club.

Just hope it's not another misguided attempt at trying to boost crowds wothout considering the risks on the park.

Edited by Heart_fan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

silva don't forget that we don't have clubs here, we have franchises, the franchiser always has the upper hand

Agreed. It's the same in MLS. MLS keeps making sudden, unnecessary rule changes trying to tweak situations to help certain clubs - usually in the name of supporting lesser teams in order to prevent bigger clubs from getting too powerful, though they have been accused of being in the pockets of the big-name brand.

Edited by Falastur

9 hours ago, Heart_fan said:

I have mixed feelings about Cahill joining the club.

Of course the short term PR win that the FFA and City will gain will be significant, but where does that leave the focus for us on the park?

We are a club that has tried the guest player card before with Villa and look how that ended up. It destabilised the team in the end and made the club look like a joke in the process when it needed to get it right.

Then it comes down to how we fit Cahill into the system on the park. Bruno has to play up front and Cahill's best position is that same spot. It just doesn't seem like a situation that will bring great benefits.

Oh well, if we do keep Bruno, sign Cahill and a foreign playmaker it will certainly show that City have stepped up their investment in the club.

Just hope it's not another misguided attempt at trying to boost crowds wothout considering the risks on the park.

My thoughts precisely, although mine are also tainted by the fact that I've never liked the bloke in the first place. The downside risk both for FFA and whatever A-League club he joins seems enormous to me. For us even more so, because if he isn't outstanding he merely joins a long list of high-profile/marquee disappointments for various reasons, be they injury or failure to perform, or both - Kewell, Engelaar, Koren, Kennedy, Grella, Villa etc.
If I were on the City executive considering the Cahill proposition - that's if it's real - I'd be voting "no." That is unless I was extracting a whole lot of concessions from FFA in return, such as freedom to choose colours, abolition of both "Lampard" and "Caceres", plus the "Junior Marquee" and a whole lot more.
If Cahill joins us and either he or the team is a failure then it will just drag us down even further in the eyes of the public.

10 hours ago, silva10 said:

I understand what you are saying, however, if we improved the overall coaching in Australia and facilities, then we could keep players here longer and then when they turn 24/25 may be better prepared to make a go of it in Europe.

Tom Rogic has been at Celtic for three years and in that time he has been blighted with injuries. It is very difficult to say he has improved as a player. The same happened to Aaron Mooy. You could say Mooy has improved since he went back to Australia.

The Australian players I remember from watching football over here are Kewell, Emerton, Cahil and Aloisi. It would be interesting to find out what percentage of  Australian players who went over to Europe as a young player have returned to play successfully in Australia.

The biggest factor that will increase the people's interest is the success of the national team.

Danny Allsopp actually had a fairly decent career with Victory after coming through Manchester City's academy...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billymumphrey said:

Danny Allsopp actually had a fairly decent career with Victory after coming through Manchester City's academy...

I remember watching  Danny at City. He didn't come through our academy. The academy has it is known now didn't exist. Just youth and the old reserve league.

My favourite Australian Player who played for City was Danny Tiatto. The City player I would liken him today would be Pablo Zabaleta. He gave everything for the team and wasn't a bad player either.

3 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I remember watching  Danny at City. He didn't come through our academy. The academy has it is known now didn't exist. Just youth and the old reserve league.

My favourite Australian Player who played for City was Danny Tiatto. The City player I would liken him today would be Pablo Zabaleta. He gave everything for the team and wasn't a bad player either.

Danny came back and played for Queensland Roar for his last few years. Was a good performer though you may be shocked to learn he did the occasional "brain snap".

He retired once Ange arrived in Brisbane and it was made clear he was yesterday's man.

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

Danny came back and played for Queensland Roar for his last few years. Was a good performer though you may be shocked to learn he did the occasional "brain snap".

He retired once Ange arrived in Brisbane and it was made clear he was yesterday's man.

.That was Danny alright lol

• Like 1

On 11/06/2016 at 7:32 PM, Murfy1 said:

Sky Blues chairman Scott Barlow and coach Graham Arnold mutually agreed they would rather pursue other options for their Australian marquee slot, vacated by captain Alex Brosque, who will move under the salary cap when he re-signs a one-year contract extension.

The one that doesn't exist anymore? Seb Hassett has no idea.

• Like 1

On 07/06/2016 at 4:01 PM, mjake1234 said:

Anyone saying they wouldn't Take Timmy is crazy.

He's still a great player at what, 36 years of age and as being currently the most recognisable socceroo. He would definitely lead to an increase in crowds and interest in the club.

However the club should look after firstly, making sure that bruno is staying and secondly, finding a replacement for Mooy. I see those two points more important for the team before getting cahill.

If those two aspects are looked after then sure, throw the bank at Timmy, why not :up:

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

Austin set to leave Mariners

Forward Mitch Austin has asked for a release from the Central Coast Mariners and is set to depart the A-League club.

FourFourTwo understands that there are up to five A-League clubs interested in signing the young attacker, who is still under contract to the Mariners next season. 

They include Melbourne City, Adelaide United, Newcastle Jets, Western Sydney and Melbourne Victory.

A player swap has been mooted with another A-League club to allow Austin to leave Central Coast Stadium.

The 25-year old, who joined the Mariners in 2015, scored five goals in 23 appearances last season.

The forward and his management were unavailable for comment when contacted by FourFourTwo.

Central Coast coach Tony Walmsley did not return calls.

It is understood Austin, who was a junior with Rotherham United in the UK, believes he has a better chance to develop as a player away from the Mariners.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/austin-set-leave-mariners#HLqP0f04hGsA1Yvh.99

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/austin-set-leave-mariners?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fourfourtwo_autopost#:acIY1BE7ChcQjA

Dont know if this was posted already

EDIT:  Didn't realize he was still only 25

Edited by haz

NOt sure if this was posted ...

Melbourne City sign Brattan amid flurry of transfer activity

(AAP)

Melbourne City have signed former Brisbane Roar midfielder Luke Brattan for next season while they are reportedly poised to re-sign Bruno Fornaroli and another big-name player as their marquees, as their attempts to snare Tim Cahill as a 'third' marquee continue.

Source: AAP, SBS
10 JUN 2016 - 12:34 PM  UPDATED 10 JUN 2016 - 12:35 PM

It's understood Brattan has agreed to a one-year loan back to the A-League from Manchester City, who signed the 26 year-old on a free transfer last year.

Meanwhile, Anthony Caceres is believed to have extended his loan deal from Manchester to Melbourne for another year, giving John van't Schip's side further depth in the middle of the park ahead of the imminent departure of Socceroos star Aaron Mooy.

Both moves are allowed because both players had signed for Manchester City prior to Football Federation Australia's closure of what has been dubbed the 'Caceres loophole'.

Caceres was released by Central Coast Mariners midway through last season before linking up with Manchester City.

Brattan still waiting for his chance to impress
With his loan spell at crisis club Bolton Wanderers yet to yield a senior debut, fringe Australia midfielder Luke Brattan will return to Manchester City next month hungry to make his mark in English football.
He then made a controversial loan switch to Melbourne, prompting calls from other clubs for the FFA to review their frameworks.

One-time Australia squad member Brattan is back in the country and was last week spotted in Melbourne after spending the majority of last season training with City's elite development squad in Manchester.

He spent a brief period on loan to Bolton Wanderers but never played a first-team game for them, and they were subsequently relegated to League One at the end of their campaign.

FFA set to close Caceres transfer loophole

Football Federation Australia has proposed an A-League transfer rule change to close the loophole that allowed Manchester City to sign Anthony Caceres from Central Coast Mariners and then loan him straight to sister club Melbourne City.
Brattan's last competitive match was Brisbane's 1-0 FFA Cup loss to Western Sydney Wanderers in August last year, before seeking a release from the Roar due to unpaid superannuation and then joining the English Premier League powerhouse.

Brattan and Caceres will likely become key figures in midfield for Melbourne City next season, with Mooy expected to announce a shift to a European club in the near future.

City have also announced the signings of Nick Fitzgerald and Daniel Arzani on permanent deals.

Melbourne City have confirmed five departures from their squad after failing to reach the A-League grand final.
Midfielder Fitzgerald, 24, who featured in 13 matches since arriving in January on a short-term deal, is now contracted to the Club until the conclusion of the 2017-2018 season.

Arzani, an Australia under-17 representative, arrives at the City Football Academy from the FFA Centre of Excellence and has also signed a two-year deal.

Brattan, Caceres, Fitzgerald and Arzani join Manny Muscat, Dean Bouzanis and Bruce Kamau in putting pen to paper for Melbourne City ahead of the 2016-2017 season.

Link from the World Game website

47 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

NOt sure if this was posted ...Link from the World Game website

That was posted a few days ago. Club has yet to confirm Brattan and Caceres, and has so far issued nothing about Fornaroli, Novillo or Mooy.

1 hour ago, haz said:

Perhaps we could offload Kuzmanowski?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Not a fan of Austin. Although he did score a cracker against us last year which made me fucking angry.

Don't know much about him. Prior to joining CCM he was with League 2 side Cambridge United, loaned out to various non-League clubs.  He might be a late developer and a bit of a hidden gem, but it's hard to see him as more than a useful squad player.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Don't know much about him. Prior to joining CCM he was with League 2 side Cambridge United, loaned out to various non-League clubs.  He might be a late developer and a bit of a hidden gem, but it's hard to see him as more than a useful squad player.

I'm sure "The CFG Scouts" would be able to make a decent call if he's close to hitting his peak.  But most likely we'll be linked to any player that becomes available from other a-league clubs.

19 minutes ago, haz said:

I'm sure "The CFG Scouts" would be able to make a decent call if he's close to hitting his peak.  But most likely we'll be linked to any player that becomes available from other a-league clubs.

Oh, agreed, but at this stage I'd rather we were being linked with some potential visa/marquee player signings...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Totally agree J W but we have heard absolutely ZIP about any visa or marque signings as per usual.

I'm hoping the silence is due to these "Visa signings" being in Euro or Copa America Squads

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, haz said:

I'm hoping the silence is due to these "Visa signings" being in Euro or Copa America Squads

Its probably just because the preseason hassnt started. Most signings occur end of July/Start of August. The only ones I can think of that were early were Mooy and Duff. 

19 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Its probably just because the preseason hassnt started. Most signings occur end of July/Start of August. The only ones I can think of that were early were Mooy and Duff. 

Don't crush my hopes, I'm still hanging onto some optimism about this off season.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Was dynamite on the wing last yeAr. A lot better than I thought he would be (ignore those old clubs, completely misleading) .For one he's the fastest player in the league and has a decent skill set. Right now he'd be the first winger picked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Was dynamite on the wing last yeAr. A lot better than I thought he would be (ignore those old clubs, completely misleading) .For one he's the fastest player in the league and has a decent skill set. Right now he'd be the first winger picked.

I don't think so, Mariners played mostly on the counter which suited his english hoofball style game. 

If city is going to dominate possession we need wingers that have technique and can unlock defences 

2 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

I'm going out on a limb here and saying it's Rosicky. No "inside source" just a guess. 35 and injury prone so perfect.

Guesses have never stopped anyone else claiming "an inside source"! you keep this weird behaviour up I can see a ban coming....

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic