Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Is he consistent as good as the highlight video?

He has speed (Williams like), but!!  good with the ball, creative and can score (Mooy like). How is he defensively?

More importantly, why isn't he getting game time now? 

Seems to me he could easily replace Koren and play along side Mooy or replace him.

Great move, can't wait.

4 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Yeah Caseres definitely happening. Thought he was talking about Troisi.

Prefer this tbh

Just now, Pandev said:

Is he consistent as good as the highlight video?

He has speed (Williams like), but!!  good with the ball, creative and can score (Mooy like). How is he defensively?

More importantly, why isn't he getting game time now? 

Seems to me he could easily replace Koren and play along side Mooy or replace him.

Great move, can't wait.

Going to miss Williams taking a shot and hitting the roof :(

You're all going to have to wait...and wait until you see anything confirmed by the club. Us old hands from the Heart days know that. And historically they aren't in a hurry to confirm anything. After all, Callum Richardson is still shown as our player on the club web-site.

Caceres is a good player, but needs to improve his workrate if he's going to live up to the hype that surrounded him earlier in his career. Has good technique but goes missing in games which is probably his biggest downfall.

In our current team I'd rather Melling due to the freedom it gifts Mooy, Caceres would be a liability defensively and would require Mooy to spend more time behind the ball. If Mooy leaves he'd be a good replacement but I don't see them both playing to their potential in the same midfield.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You're all going to have to wait...and wait until you see anything confirmed by the club. Us old hands from the Heart days know that. And historically they aren't in a hurry to confirm anything. After all, Callum Richardson is still shown as our player on the club web-site.

Yeah they need to fix that he is with the mighty Ajax now. :)

by Michael Huguenin

15/01/2016 11:41:00

The first step for the Central Coast Mariners playmaker to join Melbourne City appears all but completed, according to the latter's Dutch coach

Melbourne City coach John van 't Schip expects parent-club Manchester City to sign Anthony Caceres but regardless of any potential loan deal, the attacking midfielder won't play against Perth Glory.

It has been reported Caceres' long-awaited transfer from Central Coast Mariners to Manchester City will be completed on Friday.

That deal is expected to lead to the 23-year-old moving to south to play for Melbourne City on loan but Van 't Schip would not confirm anything about his club.

"Manchester City is getting him [Caceres] in. More or less, that's it," the Dutchman said on Friday.

"We can't comment on [a potential loan move] but of course everybody knows he's a good player, he's one of the better players in the A-League. So we'll just have to see."

Van 't Schip added that even if a loan deal for Caceres could be completed on Friday, he will not rush the playmaker into his squad for Saturday night's clash in Perth.

City's coach also confirmed that the Bundoora-based club is in discussions with marquee Robi Koren and striker David Williams about potentially departures in the January transfer window.

Koren is injured again - a knock on the back of his thigh, according to Van 't Schip - with the 35-year-old having only played 26 of 43 matches since moving to City before last season.

Asked about the potential of ending Koren's contract early, Van 't Schip said: "There are talks, as we have already [read] in the paper, so I'm not going to hide that."

Regarding Williams, who was linked with Adelaide United but is now apparently keen on a move to Europe, Van 't Schip added: "David has expressed that he wants to leave and we also have said that we're open for that but again we're also having David in [the squad] because he's a contracted player."

With Corey Gameiro and Connor Chapman out with longer-term knee injuries, Van 't Schip could potentially add four more players in January - injury-replacement players to cover Gameiro and Chapman, plus replacements for Koren and Williams if they leave.

"We will try to bring players in that we think can immediately add value," Van 't Schip said.

City have already signed goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis in the current transfer window after letting Tando Velaphi leave.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4019/transfer-zone/2016/01/15/19353772/van-t-schip-expects-caceres-to-join-manchester-city

I heard Shane Cansdell-Sherriff who plays for Burton Albion who are top of the league in English league 1 is looking to leave and return to Australia. As a Brewers (Burton Albion) fan I can remember in an interview he talked about returning to Australia to finish his career in Melbourne where his wife is from and family now lives. Shane and the manager don't get along great, he's only getting a game at the moment because of injuries. But with us on on top of the league and players returning this week he'll be relegated back to the reserves. They reckon on the club's fan site he's been linked with Melbourne City, they reckon the deal could be done as soon as next Monday. He's a really reliable centre back who also plays a little left back when he's needed. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

could only see Cansdell-Sherriff coming here as an injury replacement or if Hughes goes early.  At 33, i'd be concerned that Cansdell-Sherriff isnt much of a long term prospect either.

Could work as a temporary injury replacement for Chapman though.

1 minute ago, mattyh001 said:

could only see Cansdell-Sherriff coming here as an injury replacement or if Hughes goes early.  At 33, i'd be concerned that Cansdell-Sherriff isnt much of a long term prospect either.

How the bloody hell does the club expect 1000 melburnians to say Cansdell-Sherriff in unison on cue when team sheets are being read out before home games? We struggle with kuzmanovski 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, neio said:

How the bloody hell does the club expect 1000 melburnians to say Cansdell-Sherriff in unison on cue when team sheets are being read out before home games? We struggle with kuzmanovski 

at least it would make for a fun chant somehow involving the song "i shot the sherriff" ;)

4 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Could work as a temporary injury replacement for Chapman though.

agree, would think that is the only way he'd join if he joins at all.  given Chapman is out for another 2 months or so an injury replacement might help given it brings more experience into the backline.  

i only threw Hughes in there as a side thought that maybe just maybe the club might think they could use the visa spot better

13 minutes ago, neio said:

We just call him The Sherriff. 

17 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Yeah probably be done at the end of next season, but he's an honest player who would get the job done. Ultimate professional from all accounts.

18 minutes ago, neio said:

" Shane Lewis Cansdell-Sherriff, also known simply as Shane Sherriff "

Now that Caceres has joined Man City, it looks like only a matter of time before he joins us.

It's unsurprising that Caceres hasn't been loaned out to us yet though. I'm sure there's a lot of paperwork for such a loan move, and the FFA might take a little time to green-light the move (and it wouldn't surprise me if some other A-League clubs raised a few token complaints to the FFA about Caceres being loaned to us). I believe it's just a matter of time before the loan move eventuates though.

Fox Sports reporting today that Nick "Fitzgerald will join City as an injury-replacement player for Corey Gameiro". Good get IMO. I'd say the question with Fitzgerald is: is he just an injury replacement for this season, or like Jack Clisby last season are we signing him on an 18 month deal? And what's preferable?

On an injury-replacement player for Connor Chapman, JVS said in the press conference today that "we are still looking". The last team list said Chapman is injured for 2 more months, so it's an interesting question what type of (Australian) player we could bring in in January to replace Chapman.

On David Williams, JVS said "has expressed that he wants to leave, and we also have said we are open for that", but that he's a contracted player and has a job to do as long as he's here at the club. But he's surely gone before the January transfer window closes.

On Koren, JVS confirmed that talks have taken place for his early release. He's surely gone. The question is how big a player to CFG bring in to replace our flop of an inaugural international marquee Robert Koren?

And finally there's the guest player spot. In exactly 2 weeks from today, the guest player can play in every remaining competitive match. So as long as the club can find a useful player that meets the FFA's criteria for a guest player, that spot is effectively a new spot that can be a Visa player and is outside the salary cap.

Also worth noting, JVS said "of course it's better" when players are signed on long term deals, and aren't just signed for a few months in the January transfer window, which suggests that the club might look sign a player or two for this season and beyond.

So all up that's 5 players that could possibly be signed this month (2 injury-replacement players, replacements for Koren and Williams and a guest player). A lot of promise to this month, so it'll be interesting to see what additions the club and CFG can make to our squad.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Now that Caceres has joined Man City, it looks like only a matter of time before he joins us.

It's unsurprising that Caceres hasn't been loaned out to us yet though. I'm sure there's a lot of paperwork for such a loan move, and the FFA might take a little time to green-light the move (and it wouldn't surprise me if some other A-League clubs raised a few token complaints to the FFA about Caceres being loaned to us). I believe it's just a matter of time before the loan move eventuates though.

Fox Sports reporting today that Nick "Fitzgerald will join City as an injury-replacement player for Corey Gameiro". Good get IMO. I'd say the question with Fitzgerald is: is he just an injury replacement for this season, or like Jack Clisby last season are we signing him on an 18 month deal? And what's preferable?

On an injury-replacement player for Connor Chapman, JVS said in the press conference today that "we are still looking". The last team list said Chapman is injured for 2 more months, so it's an interesting question what type of (Australian) player we could bring in in January to replace Chapman.

On David Williams, JVS said "has expressed that he wants to leave, and we also have said we are open for that", but that he's a contracted player and has a job to do as long as he's here at the club. But he's surely gone before the January transfer window closes.

On Koren, JVS confirmed that talks have taken place for his early release. He's surely gone. The question is how big a player to CFG bring in to replace our flop of an inaugural international marquee Robert Koren?

And finally there's the guest player spot. In exactly 2 weeks from today, the guest player can play in every remaining competitive match. So as long as the club can find a useful player that meets the FFA's criteria for a guest player, that spot is effectively a new spot that can be a Visa player and is outside the salary cap.

Also worth noting, JVS said "of course it's better" when players are signed on long term deals, and aren't just signed for a few months in the January transfer window, which suggests that the club might look sign a player or two for this season and beyond.

So all up that's 5 players that could possibly be signed this month (2 injury-replacement players, replacements for Koren and Williams and a guest player). A lot of promise to this month, so it'll be interesting to see what additions the club and CFG can make to our squad.

Nice summary Murf 

31 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

This transfer window is certainly going to make or break our season. Looking forward to how we shape up at the end of this month!

• jw1739 pinned this topic