Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Have Newcastle got anymore kids they think are no good?

I hope we don't bring in any old dudes for the short term, as I only see that as worthwhile if you are a genuine title chance and whilst our season is looking up "contenders" seems a long bow.

If we are to bring in new players then a longer term view is required. The Perth lads seem interesting and I'd hope we'd also consider Devere

Wouldn't surprise me if Melbourne City has effectively approached every goalkeeper in the league. It's a different question though which specific goalkeeper will the club next sign.

Good to hear a suggestion though that Melbourne City seems to be in the hunt for a new goalkeeper.

There's only two keepers in the league worse than Redders and that's Jamie Young and Ben Kennedy. 

I will cry if we get Kennedy

Agree, its the 'World Game' people.. surely we can find another better goalie in other parts of the world.. It shows how short sighted we are if we went on and signed Ben Kennedy!

• Like 1

Mike Cockerill said during commentary yesterday that:

JVS will be perhaps casting his eye over a couple of reinforcements during that [uAE] camp. He's hoping to get a couple of players in on trial.

Good to hear. The team has 4 or so weeks break during January with the Asian Cup on, so it makes sense to trial players, as they'll both settle into the team and only be signed if they are good enough.

Edited by Murfy1

Thought Duncan looked absolutely hopeless during the warm up last week. Was slow to get down to low shots and his footwork was non existent.

Our youth keeping stocks have really fizzled out in the past few years compared to years prior. Birraz, Izzo, etc were all highly regarded but never looked like anything special IMO.

Dean Bouzanis has looked good when in goals at the Wanderers.

Birighetti is also very solid.

Did you see 22 year old Tyler Boyd's finishing in the 2 goals he scored for Wellington against Adelaide last night? Better quality than what we're used to seeing most times from Williams, Ramsay, Dugandzic .....

Dean Bouzanis has looked good when in goals at the Wanderers.

Birighetti is also very solid.

Did you see 22 year old Tyler Boyd's finishing in the 2 goals he scored for Wellington against Adelaide last night? Better quality than what we're used to seeing most times from Williams, Ramsay, Dugandzic .....

Birighetti was on the bench the last few games for Newcastle so I'd say he's fallen out of favour.

Has proven to be very decent. Would much rather him than Bouzanis given Birighetti has a good number of a league games under his belt. Given how many issues we have had at the back, we can't just go a young player because he looks ok in the few games he's played. yes Bouzanis has played a bit at the lower english levels (League 1 iirc) but would think he has a little yet still to prove

Edited by mattyh001

We've got four GKs in our youth squad, plus Alistair Bray available from last year (he seemed to get a fair amount of praise while he was with us).

Other players in our youth squad who've been there for multiple seasons are Phil Petreski and Andrew Mullet, and we went to the trouble of bringing Tom King all the way from England to join the squad. Plus we have Ross Archibald who is on the fringe of senior selection from time to time.

I'd be interested to know what our plans are for these promising players in our youth squad.

....I'd be interested to know what our plans are for these promising players in our youth squad.

Once most talented players are too old for the Youth squad due to FFA mandated small senior squad sizes A League clubs have to release the players.

So stuffed up because of FFA restrictions.

• Like 2

....I'd be interested to know what our plans are for these promising players in our youth squad.

Once most talented players are too old for the Youth squad due to FFA mandated small senior squad sizes A League clubs have to release the players.

So stuffed up because of FFA restrictions.

You don't want club's hoarding players tho. Doesn't do the player any good. Take a look at all the young players Chelsea and Manchester City after both clubs started buying up players.

The likes of Carlton Cole (whose had a very serviceable EPL career) never got much of a chance at Chelsea given the players ahead of him when he came out of the youth team

Clubs need to be able to develop and hold on to players. As I have said in the past, a reserves competition would go a long way to achieving this.

At the moment players move from one club to another rewarding squad players for being just above the required standard whilst not improving the overall standard. This also prevents youngsters at clubs stepping up and playing against a higher calibre of player which would happen if players stayed at one club longer and had little option but to fight their way into the first team.

The salary cap also hinders as clubs struggle to attract better quality visa players compared to other leagues.

I'd be interested to know what our plans are for these promising players in our youth squad.

To watch from afar as they play in the state leagues and/or find a new career path. Maybe one or two will be lucky enough to have a European passport and can go play in Conference South.

Only a couple from each year's youth squad will go on to play A-League football, if that.

Edited by Tesla

Clubs need to be able to develop and hold on to players. As I have said in the past, a reserves competition would go a long way to achieving this.

At the moment players move from one club to another rewarding squad players for being just above the required standard whilst not improving the overall standard. This also prevents youngsters at clubs stepping up and playing against a higher calibre of player which would happen if players stayed at one club longer and had little option but to fight their way into the first team.

The salary cap also hinders as clubs struggle to attract better quality visa players compared to other leagues.

A reserves competition isn't going to happen anytime soon. As a cost/benefit thing its not viable.

You would need entire squads of players not good enough to start in the A-League and that weren't tied to NPL clubs. So you would either need to pay them more than the NPL clubs, which isn't viable, or get the players the NPL clubs don't want, which means they're shite, or give young players an opportunity, which makes it another NYL.

Ontop of this all the A-League reserve sides would have to play eachother because it's out of season for the rest of the country, so you would have a whole new league which would need to be flown and put in hotels all around the country, which would cost a lot.

You would also need to have additional staff, find new grounds to play at, provide them all with the appropriate gear, insurance, training during the week etc. Basically it would be a massive expense and logistical nightmare for the chance of developing the small handful of players that don't currently get developed either in senior squads, in the NYL or through the state leagues. 

The NYL is atm the best compromise, a reserve league that has a heavy emphasis on youth. It allows senior players to regain form and fitness while giving young players an opportunity to develop.

The bigger question regarding the development of the youth players that don't get senior contracts when they graduate should be why aren't we seeing them come through the state leagues?

Every season there should be a heap of players that were in youth systems, got cut, were developed into starting players in the state leagues and then A-League clubs actually looked at and picked these players up. Hopefully the new setup with the NPL changes this, but atm the reason they aren't getting picked up is something to do with either the way the state leagues clubs develop them or that the A-League clubs simply aren't looking at them, not that the reserve competition is inadequate.

Alex Cisak from Burnley as keeper anyone?

A good suggestion.

Cisak is 25, he was Oldham's no 1 in 2011/12, and then seemed to become their no 2 in 2012/13. then Cisak was signed by Championship side Burnley in 2013/13, where he was the no 2 all season. Burnley got promoted to the Premier League and then signed another GK, which has made Cisak the no 3. But Burnley still rate Cisak and signed him for 2 more seasons just before this Premier League season started. In search of game-time Cisak agreed to join League Two side York City for the month of November, and York City liked him enough to further the loan until the 4th of January 2015. The only issue is that Cisak is contracted to Burnley until 2016. However, since he's the no 3 you never know, and Cisak might be able to leave Burnley before then.

I also think there's 4 Australian goalkeepers out of contract at the end of the season that are pretty interesting options:

* Adam Federici - He's 29, a sometime Socceroo, and pretty well regarded at Reading FC, where he's been the no 1 keeper for a while. IMO he's a pretty impressive keeper overall and can come up with some match-saving saves. If he has a weakness, it's maybe him having the ball at his feet, and playing short passes (his long passes are good though)

* Caleb Patterson-Sewell - He's 27, Australian-American, he played for the youth/reserve sides of Anderlecht, Sheffield Wednesday and Liverpool. Patterson-Sewell then joined New York Red Bulls in 2008 (where he played against Barcelona in a friendly). He then went in search of game-time and joined Miami FC in the USA 2nd division (below the MLS), where he played as the no 1 for the whole season. On the back of that season Patterson-Sewell got a contract with Portuguese 2nd division side Atletico Clube de Portugal, where he played the whole season as the no 1. He clearly impressed, as he got signed by a Portuguese 1st division side Vitoria Setubal, where he was the no 2, and for last season and this season Patterson-Sewell has been the no 2 at Portuguese 1st division side Gil Vicente, and he comes out of the contract at the end of this season. So IMO Patterson-Sewell could be a shrewd signing, as whenever he's been the no 1 he's impressed, and it's just the case that he hasn't been able to get the no 1 spot in a top European division (Portugal's Primeira Liga). Given our not too impressive goalkeeping stocks, I think he's worth a look at.

* Mark Schwarzer - Doesn't really need to be described. Possibly Australia's greatest ever goalkeeper. Known as an ultimate professional, Schwarzer is still playing even though he's 42. He got re-signed to Mourinho's super Chelsea squad (probably the best EPL side this season) on June 30 2014 for the 2014/15 season. And even though Schwarzer isn't playing much, as he's the no 3 behind Courtois and Cech, Mourinho said late in December that "if he [schwarzer] has to play tomorrow he would because he’s ready. He’s trained very well". Given the very high level Schwarzer is currently at, I can't help but think that Schwarzer could handle at least 1 full season in the A-League after this season, and I reckon Schwarzer, even at his advanced years would likely out-perform Redmayne and Velaphi. Also, there's the added bonus that Schwarzer's ultra-professionalism could rub off on our other goalkeepers, and could possibly make Redmayne or Velaphi a decent enough A-League no 1 after Schwarzer himself can't play anymore. 

* Brad Jones - 32. I believe he's out of contract at the end of the season, although I haven't been able to find out a lot of info about him. He's been a no 2 at Liverpool for about the past 5 years. He's seemingly been a no 2 most of his career.

So there's interesting options out there, and I believe by next season Melbourne City should be able to secure a new and superior goalkeeper who can ensure the likes of Velaphi and/or Redmayne spend most of the season on the bench.

Id still like more defenders so my heart doesnt end up in my mouth everytime a team goes past out halfway line

I am in the same boat. The fact that we didn't sign any proper fullbacks before the beginning of the season still baffles me.

In reality, the entire back four apart from Connor Chapman is very suspect - and Chaps himself is young and still learning. When you add in two ordinary GKs the situation is astonishing.

A good suggestion.

Cisak is 25, he was Oldham's no 1 in 2011/12, and then seemed to become their no 2 in 2012/13. then Cisak was signed by Championship side Burnley in 2013/13, where he was the no 2 all season. Burnley got promoted to the Premier League and then signed another GK, which has made Cisak the no 3. But Burnley still rate Cisak and signed him for 2 more seasons just before this Premier League season started. In search of game-time Cisak agreed to join League Two side York City for the month of November, and York City liked him enough to further the loan until the 4th of January 2015. The only issue is that Cisak is contracted to Burnley until 2016. However, since he's the no 3 you never know, and Cisak might be able to leave Burnley before then.

I also think there's 4 Australian goalkeepers out of contract at the end of the season that are pretty interesting options:

* Adam Federici - He's 29, a sometime Socceroo, and pretty well regarded at Reading FC, where he's been the no 1 keeper for a while. IMO he's a pretty impressive keeper overall and can come up with some match-saving saves. If he has a weakness, it's maybe him having the ball at his feet, and playing short passes (his long passes are good though)

* Caleb Patterson-Sewell - He's 27, Australian-American, he played for the youth/reserve sides of Anderlecht, Sheffield Wednesday and Liverpool. Patterson-Sewell then joined New York Red Bulls in 2008 (where he played against Barcelona in a friendly). He then went in search of game-time and joined Miami FC in the USA 2nd division (below the MLS), where he played as the no 1 for the whole season. On the back of that season Patterson-Sewell got a contract with Portuguese 2nd division side Atletico Clube de Portugal, where he played the whole season as the no 1. He clearly impressed, as he got signed by a Portuguese 1st division side Vitoria Setubal, where he was the no 2, and for last season and this season Patterson-Sewell has been the no 2 at Portuguese 1st division side Gil Vicente, and he comes out of the contract at the end of this season. So IMO Patterson-Sewell could be a shrewd signing, as whenever he's been the no 1 he's impressed, and it's just the case that he hasn't been able to get the no 1 spot in a top European division (Portugal's Primeira Liga). Given our not too impressive goalkeeping stocks, I think he's worth a look at.

* Mark Schwarzer - Doesn't really need to be described. Possibly Australia's greatest ever goalkeeper. Known as an ultimate professional, Schwarzer is still playing even though he's 42. He got re-signed to Mourinho's super Chelsea squad (probably the best EPL side this season) on June 30 2014 for the 2014/15 season. And even though Schwarzer isn't playing much, as he's the no 3 behind Courtois and Cech, Mourinho said late in December that "if he [schwarzer] has to play tomorrow he would because he’s ready. He’s trained very well". Given the very high level Schwarzer is currently at, I can't help but think that Schwarzer could handle at least 1 full season in the A-League after this season, and I reckon Schwarzer, even at his advanced years would likely out-perform Redmayne and Velaphi. Also, there's the added bonus that Schwarzer's ultra-professionalism could rub off on our other goalkeepers, and could possibly make Redmayne or Velaphi a decent enough A-League no 1 after Schwarzer himself can't play anymore. 

* Brad Jones - 32. I believe he's out of contract at the end of the season, although I haven't been able to find out a lot of info about him. He's been a no 2 at Liverpool for about the past 5 years. He's seemingly been a no 2 most of his career.

So there's interesting options out there, and I believe by next season Melbourne City should be able to secure a new and superior goalkeeper who can ensure the likes of Velaphi and/or Redmayne spend most of the season on the bench.

Federici - won't come here, I'm sure he could continue to play in the Championship at the very least.

Patterson - I've said previously that he is worth giving a trial to, but I don't really have high hopes. Probably not anything special.

Schwarzer - don't see him playing A-League, will just retire once he is done in Europe.

Jones - seems he has always been happy to be a number 2 at a bigger club then to seek a 1st team opportunity at a lesser league/club. Also seems to be the kind of guy who'll stay in England no matter what and won't have any interest in coming back to Aus.

A good suggestion.

To be honest Murfy I don't rate Jones at all. Whenever I have seen him he has shown glaring weaknesses in positional sense, shot stopping and commanding his area.

For me I would be happy with Federici or Schwartzer. I don't know naything about Patterson.

I guess the GK situation at Melbourne City is that the team simply needs a better goalkeeper (or two) than Tando Velaphi and Andrew Redmayne.

The above 5 keepers might well all be better than Velaphi and Redmayne, if only because the bar isn't set very high with Melbourne City's current 2 GKs. The 5 above keepers probably all have real weaknesses:

- Cisak hasn't played that much football

- Ditto Patterson-Sewell hasn't played a huge amount of football, and it's fairly difficult to judge just how good Patterson-Sewell is given the competitions he has played in

- Schwarzer is much older than is ideal, and he's talked down the idea of him playing in the A-League, and he will probably retire at season's end

- Brad Jones is such a no 2 goalkeeper, and I'm really unsure how he'd go if he had to play week in, week out. I haven't been impressed with what I've seen from Jones either, but still he could well be better than Velaphi and Redmayne. At least on paper, his CV certainly suggests that he should be better than both of them

- If Federici leaves Reading, I think there's a chance that he might come to play in the A-League. However, I agree that he is much more likely to remain in Europe and probably England, and it would be a coup signing if Melbourne City could sign him up

So all of the above 5 could well be improvements on Velaphi and Redmayne, but they may not be big improvements on our current GKs. And if they aren't much better it could be argued that none of them should be signed.

I'm keen to see how Velaphi goes, for hopefully the remainder of the season. Velaphi might turn out to be 'good enough' to play in the A-League (and if our defence significantly improves in the future, it arguably doesn't matter that much that we don't have a super GK).

Anyway it's interesting to brainstorm what could be done with regards to Melbourne City's goalkeepers. There is no really obvious way to improve our GK stocks. Get a Visa goalkeeper perhaps, or would that be a waste of a Visa spot? Perhaps the best idea after all is to keep playing Tando, as perhaps he'll turn out to be good enough.

Edited by Murfy1

Shit rule that the Nux can have as many Australian and NZ players as they want but all other A-League teams NZ players are counted as foreigners. Wellington should be all Kiwis with 5 Visa players including Australians

Would prefer it to be the other way personally: that NZ players are treated the same as Australians for all A-League clubs and don't count as visas.

A good suggestion.

Federici - won't come here, I'm sure he could continue to play in the Championship at the very least.

Patterson - I've said previously that he is worth giving a trial to, but I don't really have high hopes. Probably not anything special.

Schwarzer - don't see him playing A-League, will just retire once he is done in Europe.

Jones - seems he has always been happy to be a number 2 at a bigger club then to seek a 1st team opportunity at a lesser league/club. Also seems to be the kind of guy who'll stay in England no matter what and won't have any interest in coming back to Aus.

Apparently Jone's misses is a scouser and one of his main reasons for staying at Liverpool.

Not to mention he's supported Liverpool all his life. Fuck me i'd probably do the same being a Liverpool supporter 

• jw1739 pinned this topic