Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

As to whether it's a good idea, not sure. I think1 marquee is enough. It's original purpose was to bring in a Dwight Yorke, not have 2 Koren's.. Better off keeping the one and just raising the salary cap.

Have to differ from you, because IMO it's an excellent idea and will help move the league forward. It would be completely optional whether you had even one marquee, and so it's not as if it's proposed to be compulsory. As for the quality of the marquees, in theory they all have to be approved by FFA, so perhaps it's time that FFA put the theory into practice and did indeed set and apply criteria for proposed marquees rather than leave it to individual clubs as a way of manipulating their compliance with the salary cap.

• Like 2

I reckon at least one thing, and maybe two things, has impacted on Melbourne City's recruitment plans, and quite possibly the club had to jettison its old recruitment plans and targets to pursue new target signings. Hence recruitment has currently slowed down.

That the FFA is  quite possibly going to announce a 2nd international marquee spot is one thing that could have shaken up the club's recruitment. Club board member Simon Pierce thinking it's "a great idea" suggests that Melbourne City might pursue a new signing, perhaps instead of one of the players that has been linked with Melbourne City.

Also Aaron Mooy's situation could be complicating recruitment. It was suggested that he might be moved onto a better contract, and possibly onto a marquee contract. Finding an agreement with Mooy would inevitably effect what other signings the club could make, so that's another thing that could explain the lack of announcements lately.

Overall, the recruitment, as well as the moving on of deadwood, has been A grade IMO. As long as the club continues to sign quality players, I can live with the slow recruitment. There is still 10 weeks until the season starts. And thankfully we're playing against an NPL club in the FFA Cup next week, so the current squad should be more than capable. Also, to have a glass-half-full-perspective, maybe fringe players like Retre and Dekker will make use of the opportunity to show they deserve a significant amount of game time next season, and a little good could come about from not having the entirety of next season's starting XI assembled at this point.

Edited by Murfy1

Goalkeeper preferably better and more consistent than Tando.

Central striker.

Right wing.

We still have room for six more players in the 23+3 squad including Australian marquee (unless the rule is changed) and two visa players.

This.

We get these 3 spots and quality we will go deep in the finals.

I would pursue the keeper spot last, but if we can get a 15+ goal striker, a genuine wide player that can provide 8+ assists and a couple goals then we will have a serious side. 

Weather we can, not sure. Our season will be decided  on who plays at #9. 

• Like 1

This.

We get these 3 spots and quality we will go deep in the finals.

I would pursue the keeper spot last, but if we can get a 15+ goal striker, a genuine wide player that can provide 8+ assists and a couple goals then we will have a serious side. 

Weather we can, not sure. Our season will be decided  on who plays at #9. 

I definitely agree with you, but with Gameiro and Novillo, I believe they can contribute at least 8 goals each, so I reckon a 10+ goal striker should be the objective, and if he can score more that would be a bonus.

For RW i agree as well but he also needs to score goals and I think Fabio Ferriera would be great.

With the gk, I'd like to see us approach Brad Jones if he isnt at a club and would expect marquee status wether he's back up or not. 

With that kind of squad, we could go all the way!

Goalkeeper preferably better and more consistent than Tando.

Central striker.

Right wing.

We still have room for six more players in the 23+3 squad including Australian marquee (unless the rule is changed) and two visa players.

Fully agree that the club needs to strengthen those 3 positions. And with the club reportedly targeting a goalkeeper, Thomas Sorensen, and a striker, Bruno Fornaroli, it looks like the club is pretty aware that it needs to strengthen in those positions as well.

RW is interesting. Gameiro and Kuzmanovski may not be regular starters if we get a new right winger. That would give us awesome depth, but it would seem like something of a waste IMO if those good players weren't playing often.

Also, it was very interesting to see Koren start as a right winger in our last match against Man City. He was largely given a free role to roam about, and in defence Koren played as the deeper-lying player in a front two in a 4-4-2. Effectively he played as a nine and a half. IMO this is where he plays best for us, where he has a free role in attack and plays in positions where he can provide a killer pass, instead of in midfield where players have to provide a lot of legwork and defending (neither of which Koren can do at his age IMO).

I'm pretty confident Melbourne City will strengthen the striker, goalkeeper and attacker/winger positions. However this will push multiple good players out of the starting XI, giving us awesome depth and lots of flexibility, but it'll be interesting to see which players get cut from the starting line-up. I guess this is one of the best 'problems' a team can have in football, and I'm keen to see how the team goes with such depth.

Isn't Gameiro our striker? Would've thought he's better suited there than as a winger

I think Gamiero is a winger that can also play as a striker, pretty much like Novillo. In regards to Gamiero though Murf is having a laugh, no one is pushing him out of the starting XI.

A quality striker is desperately needed though and personally I think we need another midfielder, as we cant rely on Koren and mellings injury leaves us short. In addition a young defender wouldn't go astray 

as to wingers well we already have 6, which is surely enough/ too many, unless we plan to offload Brown & Williams, which is unlikely given they are both injured right now.

• Like 1

Isn't Gameiro our striker? Would've thought he's better suited there than as a winger

He's one of the limited number of Australian attackers who are genuinely capable as both a  striker and a winger (for example the cracking goal he scored against us last season was from the wing). Although he is more suited to the striker position (and I do hope he plays a lot there), it might sometimes be worthwhile to play Gameiro on the wing rather than have him on the bench and have another player on the wing (like Koren, Kuzmanovski or Williams). This is assuming that the club signs a high quality number 9, and Gameiro isn't our main striker.

The team, and especially the attack, is shaping up to have heaps of flexibility. So often players who start games won't finish games (or won't finish them in the same position), and thankfully the team is going to have both enough quality and flexibility to deal with these changes (whether tactical or forced) and be highly competitive.

• Like 2

He's one of the limited number of Australian attackers who are genuinely capable as both a  striker and a winger (for example the cracking goal he scored against us last season was from the wing). Although he is more suited to the striker position (and I do hope he plays a lot there), it might sometimes be worthwhile to play Gameiro on the wing rather than have him on the bench and have another player on the wing (like Koren, Kuzmanovski or Williams). This is assuming that the club signs a high quality number 9, and Gameiro isn't our main striker.

The team, and especially the attack, is shaping up to have heaps of flexibility. So often players who start games won't finish games (or won't finish them in the same position), and thankfully the team is going to have both enough quality and flexibility to deal with these changes (whether tactical or forced) and be highly competitive.

All too often I've been at AAMI Park and seen opposition teams have vastly superior benches to ours and be able to bring on substitutes without weakening the team on the pitch - while we've been the opposite. This season with our signings so far at long last it looks as though we will be able to have plenty of options up front who can create and take chances.

• Like 1

M. Lujic with another 2 goals today.

Seriously hope we are looking at him.

After watching him play last in the FFA Cup match last Wednesday I think I would pass.

Work rate was pedestrian and should have out a few of those chances away at that level if he wants to step up into a HAL team.

As I have said previously, I think there must be other reasons why he hasn't got a HAL deal, even after scoring goals for fun in the NPL. That match seemed to potentially show just why WP didn't play him when he was there on a short term deal and Sydney FC didn't sign him after his trial.

• Like 1

After watching him play last in the FFA Cup match last Wednesday I think I would pass.

Work rate was pedestrian and should have out a few of those chances away at that level if he wants to step up into a HAL team.

As I have said previously, I think there must be other reasons why he hasn't got a HAL deal, even after scoring goals for fun in the NPL. That match seemed to potentially show just why WP didn't play him when he was there on a short term deal and Sydney FC didn't sign him after his trial.

I think someone posted earlier as to why that may be, could be regarding salary, something along the lines of him earning 60k+ as a teacher and 20k from south, if were to sign him I dont think it would be anything over a minimum wage contract which is what? Like 45-50k

Mooy to Australian marquee.

If he signs for two years aswell.

If we're going to use the spot for him we should take the opportunity to extend his contact beyond this season. Then there is something in it for mooy and the club.  And he should be happy he has the opportunity to stay another year at the illustrious club we are becoming. 

Edited by Jake

• jw1739 pinned this topic