Melbourne Football

We've signed Nuno Reis

kingofhearts

3 year deal for a visa player seems a little risky, but apart from that can't really fault the signing, has expirience, has good credentials, has leadership expirience and qualities. There isnt many poor players who have full senior cap for a country like Portugal. Very happy with this, hopefully he settles quickly and becomes one of the better CB in the league, which I have no doubt he could be

On 05/01/2021 at 3:58 PM, Tommykins said:

Quick and the dead around here.

Nuno Reis

Ricardo Machado 

Are my two guesses. 

PS. I say guesses like I know who either of these players are and that I didn't just look up Free Agent Portugese Centre Halves in Transfermarkt.

I'm getting a 1800 number and will be giving out advice.

9 minutes ago, rass said:

Interesting the article mentions he was at Panathinaikos. Irony is given the timings, Schenkeveld may have been his replacement there...

I'm a bit skeptical of him given he never lasted too long at one club and seemed to be the 3rd choice cb where he went a lot of the time, but you dont have to look too hard to see how highly rated he was as a junior and the lofty expectations that they had for him.
Could be an inspired diamond in the rough signing, but could also be a flop too. 3 year deal is unprecedented for a foreigner for our club so they clearly think he'll do well. Will be interesting to watch.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

I'm a bit skeptical of him given he never lasted too long at one club and seemed to be the 3rd choice cb where he went a lot of the time, but you dont have to look too hard to see how highly rated he was as a junior and the lofty expectations that they had for him.
Could be an inspired diamond in the rough signing, but could also be a flop too. 3 year deal is unprecedented for a foreigner for our club so they clearly think he'll do well. Will be interesting to watch.

That but the club may also be hoping to make $$$ by selling him to an Asian club after 2 years too.

3 hours ago, neio said:

3 year deal for a visa player seems a little risky, but apart from that can't really fault the signing, has expirience, has good credentials, has leadership expirience and qualities. There isnt many poor players who have full senior cap for a country like Portugal. Very happy with this, hopefully he settles quickly and becomes one of the better CB in the league, which I have no doubt he could be

Well he never did play for Portugal but he did play for every junior side. Had a lot of potential but never quite ‘made’ it. Still a solid career and he might be the right pick for us. 

21 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Well he never did play for Portugal but he did play for every junior side. Had a lot of potential but never quite ‘made’ it. Still a solid career and he might be the right pick for us. 

Fuck, your right. I've looked at so many Portuguese centre backs who have played 1 or 2 games for national team,they all rolled into the same person for me 

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Plenty of players have played for their national junior sides but never really made it thereafter. Just think Rutger Worm and Kristian Sarkies. Wormy ended up playing in the Sunday League (now retired) while Sarkies plays for Beaumaris.

19 hours ago, bt50 said:

Glover for two years, Good for three, now (if information is correct), Reis for three. Do you think this signals a change in direction for the club?

Are we shutting out our youth players?

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Glover for two years, Good for three, now (if information is correct), Reis for three. Do you think this signals a change in direction for the club?

Are we shutting out our youth players?

I think it suggests a couple of things;

1) that the club thinks the salary cap is on the way out in the next 18 months and longer terms wont be as stifling with respect to moving players on in a cap situation

and 2) that we are trying to bed stability into our squad going forward particularly in the more senior players. I definitely don't think anything has changed with regards to youth and our policy there, but they are more likely to go abroad if theyre any good by the very nature of Australian football so it makes sense to nail down the more senior players first if you want stability in the squad.

With Glover in particular we want him contracted in case any foreign clubs come for him in order to nab a transfer fee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

I think it suggests a couple of things;

1) that the club thinks the salary cap is on the way out in the next 18 months and longer terms wont be as stifling with respect to moving players on in a cap situation

and 2) that we are trying to bed stability into our squad going forward particularly in the more senior players. I definitely don't think anything has changed with regards to youth and our policy there, but they are more likely to go abroad if theyre any good by the very nature of Australian football so it makes sense to nail down the more senior players first if you want stability in the squad.

With Glover in particular we want him contracted in case any foreign clubs come for him in order to nab a transfer fee.

And in Glover's case, he pretty much is youth. He's certainly pretty youthful for a first team keeper. 

• Like 1

On 16/01/2021 at 6:27 PM, rass said:

Just asking, has this actually been confirmed yet?

Not by City so far. If a player was already in the country and simply awaiting release from quarantine I don't see why it would not have been.

Perhaps it's falling through because he can't get here?

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not by City so far. If a player was already in the country and simply awaiting release from quarantine I don't see why it would not have been.

With Griffiths injured now, it’s becoming important we get this backline reinforcement in.

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Petrillo discussed him again on Sat night in the pre-game so i'd suggest visa issues or similar are the likely reason behind not announcing officially.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Petrillo discussed him again on Sat night in the pre-game so i'd suggest visa issues or similar are the likely reason behind not announcing officially.

Wouldn't it also depend on just where he is at the present time and available flights? According to media reports there are still many thousands of Australians "stranded" overseas, and Emirates have very recently cancelled all their flights into Australia.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Wouldn't it also depend on just where he is at the present time and available flights? According to media reports there are still many thousands of Australians "stranded" overseas, and Emirates have very recently cancelled all their flights into Australia.

I am assuming club would have paid business class at minimum so good chance he will be on the next flight as a lot of the stranded people have economy tickets and they keep getting bumped off for first class/business people as more $$$ due to limited passenger numbers 

56 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Just depends on how much of his wage we have to pay. Would say wouldn’t be paying Tsubaki a lot of his contract. 

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you here but we can’t just pay only partial wages, well we can pay partial but his full wage will be allocated to the cap. The lampard rule.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1