Melbourne Football

Round 11: Melbourne Derby, Sat 20th Dec 7:30pm

Murfy1

When I read articles like this which say stuff like "Tunisian Fahid Ben Khalfallah, who has been outstanding in the past month" could be forced to the bench for Victory http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/gui-finkler-set-to-return-for-victorys-melbourne-derby-clash-with-city/story-e6frf4gl-1227155768285 it makes me squirm.

WHO is responsible for our abysmal recruiting? WHO is prepared to put up their hands and admit to stuffing up with our overseas recruiting and our local recruiting so we have a pathetically unbalanced squad with lack of depth, lack of competition for positions and quite a few players so far below A League standard it is not funny.

It's embarrassing when you compare to Victory.

Yep , true words there

you have to ask the question

but as mentioned so many times before, we are constrained by the salary cap, plus the fact that many players were signed to longer contracts by previous ownership

the player isn't going to say, "sure I'll walk away, without my pay, cos I'm shit and not up to the standard the club needs"

they will stay and collect the pay etc, as it's there livelyhood

I've resigned my self to the fact that we have to look at the end of next season before we can legitimately look at a complete overhaul of this playing list

IMO if you go through the current list the words I have highlighted are not strictly true.

The carry-over contracted players at the start of 2014/15 players were:

Redmayne;

Wielaert;

Murdocca:

Ramsay;

Kalmar;

Mauk;

Garuccio;

Germano;

Dugandzic.

That's 9 out of a possible senior squad of 23+3.

IMO there was a huge opportunity for a rebuild of over half the senior squad. Didulica and van 't Schip didn't take it. So how can we have any faith that they will take the opportunities that will present at the end of the present season?

True, but the important questions are:

How much room did the salaries of the contracted players leave under the cap?

What is the franchise's recruiting strategy?

Mate, David Williams and Wielaert and Murdocca all would be on decent wages, the rest less so,it may not have left enough room under the cap to recruit the players that they wanted. If this was the case the options are to recruit the best you can with the money available or to stick with the cattle you have until their contracts expire, replace them with better quality and meanwhile use the money to recruit better key players. I believe that this is what the football department has done, in which case we won't see a truly competitive team until next season, or a team with true depth until the season after. That's not to say that we can't have a degree of success before then but we won't be a top 4 team. 

What really worries me about this team and the current coaching staff is the lack of progress in the team over the first third of the season, in fact arguably we played better in the first 2 rounds. In particular we still haven't developed a winning culture.

Edited by jw1739

When I read articles like this which say stuff like "Tunisian Fahid Ben Khalfallah, who has been outstanding in the past month" could be forced to the bench for Victory http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/gui-finkler-set-to-return-for-victorys-melbourne-derby-clash-with-city/story-e6frf4gl-1227155768285 it makes me squirm.

WHO is responsible for our abysmal recruiting? WHO is prepared to put up their hands and admit to stuffing up with our overseas recruiting and our local recruiting so we have a pathetically unbalanced squad with lack of depth, lack of competition for positions and quite a few players so far below A League standard it is not funny.

It's embarrassing when you compare to Victory.

Yep , true words there

you have to ask the question

but as mentioned so many times before, we are constrained by the salary cap, plus the fact that many players were signed to longer contracts by previous ownership

the player isn't going to say, "sure I'll walk away, without my pay, cos I'm shit and not up to the standard the club needs"

they will stay and collect the pay etc, as it's there livelyhood

I've resigned my self to the fact that we have to look at the end of next season before we can legitimately look at a complete overhaul of this playing list

IMO if you go through the current list the words I have highlighted are not strictly true.

The carry-over contracted players at the start of 2014/15 players were:

Redmayne;

Wielaert;

Murdocca:

Ramsay;

Kalmar;

Mauk;

Garuccio;

Germano;

Dugandzic.

That's 9 out of a possible senior squad of 23+3.

IMO there was a huge opportunity for a rebuild of over half the senior squad. Didulica and van 't Schip didn't take it. So how can we have any faith that they will take the opportunities that will present at the end of the present season?

True, but the important questions are:

How much room did the salaries of the contracted players leave under the cap?

What is the franchise's recruiting strategy?

Mate, David Williams and Wielaert and Murdocca all would be on decent wages, the rest less so,it may not have left enough room under the cap to recruit the players that they wanted. If this was the case the options are to recruit the best you can with the money available or to stick with the cattle you have until their contracts expire, replace them with better quality and meanwhile use the money to recruit better key players. I believe that this is what the football department has done, in which case we won't see a truly competitive team until next season, or a team with true depth until the season after. That's not to say that we can't have a degree of success before then but we won't be a top 4 team. 

What really worries me about this team and the current coaching staff is the lack of progress in the team over the first third of the season, in fact arguably we played better in the first 2 rounds. In particular we still haven't developed a winning culture.

Apologies for the mistake about Williams. Willo's contract expired at the end of last season, so he was not a carry-over. He was re-signed by van 't Schip for a further two years in March 2014. http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2014/03/21/4698586/melbourne-heart-re-sign-david-williams-under-the-salary-cap

But but but the Schiplievers say that we'll be unstoppable when we get Germano and Koren and Kennedy and Skoko and Sibon and...oh.

Really? Who's been saying that as of late?

Well done, you've passed the test. I can only find kingofhearts saying that Koren will make us better than Wellington (unfortunately no mention of any increased superpowers this might give JVS) and that's been it for at least 2 weeks now... Maybe the JVS faithful are dwindling in numbers?

I think there's little doubt that Koren and Kennedy will improve our performances, whether that makes us better than Wellington I don't know. I guess there are other factors to consider as well like Chapmans impact on our defense and Garruccio being played regularly at left back. So kingofhearts may be right but only time will tell. Secondly regarding JVS I think there were many unanswered questions prior to the last month to be definite about the role he has played in us being in our current situation. So you can forgive some for wanting more proof. For me I found out the answers I was after so I beleive JVS isn't the man for the job.

• Like 1

I think that there are 2 reasons for our lack of progression, firstly we have very patchy depth across the team and even without injuries to key players this will have a detrimental impact on the team. Secondly our lack of consistent intensity, patchy concentration, and inability to tactically create enough pressure on opponents throughout the game and to recover from adversity are coaching issues, I can't see signs that they have been addressed either.

• Like 1

But but but the Schiplievers say that we'll be unstoppable when we get Germano and Koren and Kennedy and Skoko and Sibon and...oh.

Really? Who's been saying that as of late?

Well done, you've passed the test. I can only find kingofhearts saying that Koren and Kennedy will make us as good if not better than Wellington (unfortunately no mention of any increased superpowers this might give JVS) and that's been it for at least 2 weeks now... Maybe the JVS faithful are dwindling in numbers?

Edited for accuracy :up:

People think our list is a lot further off from being a championship contender than what it is. I'm not saying we're going to win the league when these two players come back, but with these two additions we are at least a middle of the run team. And how good do people think Wellington are anyway? If they were really in the top echelon of the league they would've got a result against the CCM last week like Adelaide and the Mungs have previously. I just don't think Wellington will go any higher then 4th this season IMO.

Also look at the effect Orlando had when he came back last season, this season we will be adding game changing players to our line-up. JVS won't even have to coach them ffs, just play Kennedy and Koren in their preferred positions and their will be enough experience on the field that the players will be able to look after themselves!

I'm not assuming Koren and Kennedy will remain injury free if/when they play for us.

1. They're both in their 30s.

2. Koren has been out all season with a significant soft tissue injury. He will lack match sharpness and is an above average injury risk imo.

3. Kennedy has been injured and hasn't played for months. He will also lack match sharpness and is also an above average injury risk imo

It won't be bad luck if one or both get injured again. It will be poor list management as far as I am concerned. 

Edited by Parrot

Milligan 3 game ban

A prediction or a report?

If its a prediction, well you never know with the A League.  That Chilean hack they had last year (Contrary?) would have got 10-15 weeks for his off the ball stiff arm on Duga if he was playing Rugby League (which I naively thought was a harder game) but he got about 2 weeks and every bastard thought he was hard done by!  Mind you get a red due to the ref being incompetent and its 1-2 weeks as well.

Milligan 3 game ban

A prediction or a report?

If its a prediction, well you never know with the A League.  That Chilean hack they had last year (Contrary?) would have got 10-15 weeks for his off the ball stiff arm on Duga if he was playing Rugby League (which I naively thought was a harder game) but he got about 2 weeks and every bastard thought he was hard done by!  Mind you get a red due to the ref being incompetent and its 1-2 weeks as well.

Confirmed.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/12/16/victorys-milligan-banned-three-matches

• Like 1

Oh and Koren may make the bench 

As predicted 4 weeks ago :up:

Robert Koren's calf injury

Round 1 Away: Named (Late Withdrawal)

Round 2 Home: Promoted (Did not play)

Round 3 Melb: 4-6 weeks

Round 4 Home: 3-5 weeks

Round 5 Away: 3-5 weeks

Round 6 Home: 2-4 weeks

Round 7 Home: 2-3 weeks

I'm expecting:

Round 8 Away: 1-3 weeks

Round 9 Home: 1-2 weeks

Round10 Away: 1 week (Not taking any risks this time)

Derby 2 Home: Substitute (with 20-30 mins to play)

Round12 Home: Start (Play 60 mins)

Going to be a good battle in the centre of the park- Paartalu, Melling & Mooy v Broxham, Valeri & Finkler. I think the midfielders match up pretty well on paper, it's just the wealth of attacking options available for the scum that look likely to do some damage.

Leijer is always good for a brain fade and Coe ain't much chop so I don't doubt we can score. However, Tando won't have an easy ride this week and Chapman + Kisnorbo will need to communicate well to negate the wife beater, Berisha etc.

Anyways there should be no excuses this week, after a week off our lads should be primed for this one. Can't think of a better (g rated) christmas present then beating the filth.

• Like 2

Koren to start, score a brace and thompson to have a career ending acl.

Leijer to get sent off in the 27th

Broxham to confirm he is the product of incest

fuck mate this is an absolutely brilliant post! 150% will lmfao if this happens and i'll buy everyone in the stadium a beer, except those scum vistard losers!

---------------------------------------Tando-------------------------------------------

Hoff--------------- Kisnorbo--------------Chapman---------------Gooch

--------------------------------------Paartalu----------------------------------------

----------------------Melling------------------------Mooy-------------------------

------------Duga ----------------Marino-------------------Willo-----------------

Marino doesn't exactly thrive on the physical side of the game but I feel like he offers something different, he looks like a natural no 9 as opposed to Willo & Brown who appear to be weighed down by expectation when they play centrally.

Starting #yoof in a derby has worked for us more than once during jvs' tenure so I'd roll the dice.