Melbourne Football

Life after uni/tafe

citypool

Well, I don't know anything about event management but I would imagine that it's the same problem that's happening in a lot of other fields. Too many people sitting around waiting for someone to offer them a job.

My advice would be to organize, fund and host your own events.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

With the IT industry you pretty much have to start in a call centre to get your foot in, from there you can use your uni degree to then apply for relevant jobs after a few years. 

Maybe try get a call centre job with Ticketmaster or some other shit kicker job in the industry. 

Yeh i would actually like to work with ticketmaster but it's hard to get in there.

I'm finding a lot of people can't get a job

Can't speak for event management but I just went out and got the first job I could in an unrelated field. Just couldn't manage sitting on my ass at my parents and working a crap casual job. Back at uni now but it was a good decision at the time.

So was the job you got good? Kind of the same as me but i don't want to study anymore just work

Well, I don't know anything about event management but I would imagine that it's the same problem that's happening in a lot of other fields. Too many people sitting around waiting for someone to offer them a job.

this. Do it well and you'll make significantly more money than you ever would working any job in the field.

You've just got to have the balls to take the punt.

Yeh i would actually like to work with ticketmaster but it's hard to get in there.

I'm finding a lot of people can't get a job

Can't speak for event management but I just went out and got the first job I could in an unrelated field. Just couldn't manage sitting on my ass at my parents and working a crap casual job. Back at uni now but it was a good decision at the time.

So was the job you got good? Kind of the same as me but i don't want to study anymore just work

I work for a big insurer. Has its ups and downs but it pays well enough and has a lot of channels to progress as its a big organisation.

this. Do it well and you'll make significantly more money than you ever would working any job in the field.

You've just got to have the balls to take the punt.

Due to my work I serve millionaires almost exclusively, and can confirm that other than the odd retired CEO of a massive organisation, I'd say 90% have reached their wealth due to starting their own business and doing it well.

Of course you can work your way up to a solid wage, and of course small businesses collapse quite commonly, but if it's high wealth that you are after, start thinking of your business plan. If you have a decent backing of wealth, not getting the work you want and are young with few responsibilities (Family, Mortgage, etc.) then the perfect time to give something a crack is now.

• Like 1

The average small business owner doesn't make significantly more than they could working an average job. Working with small to medium size businesses regularly, you get a good idea how much people are making. Even a decent sized businesses turning over 8 figures can often have a margin that's small as fuck and I doubt the owners pay themselves any more than 70k max. Of course, they get the benefit of claiming a bunch of shit on tax though.

Of course, your potential income is unlimited with a business, so there are cases of people making big money, but they are the minority. Most small businesses fail. Many others are run for more than just financial reasons, eg people prefer to work for themselves. Basically I'm just saying be realistic.

By all means, this is a great time for young people to try their hand at running their own business, because unfortunately it's an era of very few opportunities for young people. Before the GFC there were plenty of jobs for graduates, now they're hard to come by. So it does make sense to take a risk like that, or to continue studying and hope the economy is better when you're done with the additional study.

With everything, you get out what you put in. There is money to be made in almost every career path, if you work hard. Whether it's running your own business or working for someone else.

• Like 1

Many others are run for more than just financial reasons, eg people prefer to work for themselves. Basically I'm just saying be realistic.

With everything, you get out what you put in. There is money to be made in almost every career path, if you work hard. Whether it's running your own business or working for someone else.

Spot on Tesla. Especially the two above points.

If you are in this purely to make a lot of money you are probably in the wrong industry. That's not to say you can't make a lot of money but it's highly unlikely unless you are particularly cut throat.

I assume you didn't get into event management for the mega bucks. I am assuming it's because you enjoy it (presumably the live music element).

The reason I recommend you do things yourself is because you have nothing to lose. You can't find work in that industry so you may as well do it for the love. Keep your overheads low, aim to break even or make a small profit at the start. Then do it again only aiming a bit higher. Put any money you make back into the business and you will soon learn if you can make it on your own or not. If you do, that's awesome! If not you are in the same position you started only you will have some interesting stories and memories.

Edited by KSK_47

I'd probably negligent in not adding something to my above post though.

The fact of the matter is, we've been indoctrinated in a paradigm that revolves around the pursuit of materialistic things above everything else. You have to have the latest smarthphone, latest tablet, a nice car, expensive clothes, whatever the fuck. If you don't your a shit cunt poverty loser. You won't be cool. You won't get any likes on social media. And no 10/10 bitches will fuck you. At least that's what the media, popular culture, music, etc. tell you. There is no longer a such thing as 'rich', unless you're a multi billionaire. Apart from that, there is only 'comfortable', because there is always some new shit to spend your money on. If your average person goes from making $50k to $70k, the don't end up saving an extra $20k a year, they just end up spending an extra $20k a year, and get accustomed to a new lifestyle whereby they can never go back to $50k. It's the same whether you make $50k, $100k, $500k, or $50m.

That's why everyone is thirsty for money. So they can buy some new shit, post a photo of it on social media, and get some likes to temporarily satisfy their narcissistic needs. Seriously, everyone is thirsty as fuck for that money. You want a job when you graduate? Be prepared to compete against cunts who studied more than you, who did unpaid internships and volunteer work. Who dedicated their lives to getting that graduate position. Once you get that job though, I'm sure you'll want to get a promotion and more money, just like everyone else. So don't even think about going home at 5pm. Work 10, 12, shit why not even 16 hours a day if you really want to get a bit more of that money so you can use it to further perpetuate this materialistic paradigm. You run your own business? Get ready to compete against cunts who will undercut you and work for less per hour as long as they get more money overall. Shit, plenty of people are even working multiple jobs for a bit more of that money.

It's interesting. Do you know what the end result of all that is? The supply of labour is higher. Basic economics dictates that therefore the price of labour will be lower. If the price of labour is lower, than more money goes to the owner of the capital. Some would say the owners of that capital are also likely to be in the positions where they can influence, and create this materialistic society. That's probably not inaccurate. Some would therefore say it's a conspiracy. I don't know about that, probably not TBH. But what I do know is it's a bit retarded. Having said that, it's like that Churchill quote about democracy, the same thing applies to capitalism. It's the worst economic system apart from all the others that have been tried.

I don't have the solution. And if I did, fuck you, I'm not letting anyone know, don't need cunts competing for that too and fucking it up. So for now I'll continue perpetuating the system too :up:

So what point am I making? Basically, if you want the money, be prepared to compete. You have to work hard, but you also have to be smart. Just working hard won't get you anywhere. Neither will being smart without working hard. Be prepared to give up a lot for it too, including a large part of your youth. And you could be rich as fuck. I'm just saying it's not easy, because everyone else wants it too.

Or you could just say fuck the system, earn just enough to get by, and find some other pursuits to add value to your life. That's cool too.

Or you could find the balance between both of those extremes. Balance is good, and it's usually the right answer to any problem.

Like everything, the grass is always greener on the other side. Some rich cunt will be like, "fuck I gave up a lot to get here, I'm not sure it was worth it". While some other cunt would be like, "yeah I fucking enjoyed myself when I was younger, but I wish I focused on improving my financial position more".

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

Again tesla with a bullseye.

The solution (sorry to give it away) is to earn enough to pay the bills and spend as little time as possible working (as in doing shit you don't want to do purely for money).

For me time spent doing things i love is a much more valuable currency than dollars

• Like 1

Well my advice is the same- be proactive and start projects in fields that's interest you. And as Yelawolf says, contacts are extremely important so try to meet people too.

Even if there's no money in it when you do eventually get an interview and they ask you what you've been up to, being able to answer with "I've been DOING X,Y and Z" will always be a much better answer than "I've been sitting around waiting for a job to come up"

Edited by KSK_47

This is one of the main reasons I did health care. International recognition of your qualification and good job prospects post uni.

My wife is the healthcare industry. While I a have a lot of respect for what you guys do, it's sounds fucking horrible. I would rather beg. But that's me

• Like 2

This is one of the main reasons I did health care. International recognition of your qualification and good job prospects post uni.

My wife is the healthcare industry. While I a have a lot of respect for what you guys do, it's sounds fucking horrible. I would rather beg. But that's me

Yeh I can see why it doesn't suit a lot of people. I'm glad I chose a double degree (paramedics and nursing) so at least I have options and not just limited to wiping arses (which I hate).

Now with the paramedics pay dispute at an end and London Ambulance recruiting aussies, it's a good time to be finishing my course.

And if I choose nursing there are a fair few grad years going in the city.

Edited by carlings
  • Like 1

Is that how being a paramedic works, you need a degree?

Makes sense, dunno why I thought they just did like a 1 year course or something.

I wouldn't even be a doctor, which at least has the advantages of high pay and a certain level of prestige. People who are nurses and paramedics are crazy if you ask me, but to each their own.

Yeh you need a bit more than a first aid certificate to be a paramedic. 3 year straight degree, or 4 year double degree with nursing.

No way I'd be a doctor spending 8+ years at uni. I guess at the end of the day you just got to try and do what you enjoy the most. When I was younger I thought it would be cool to drive fast and get discount fastfood, but the job holds a level of respect within the community. Plus the feeling of sometimes making a difference in someone's life is pretty special.   

Yeh you need a bit more than a first aid certificate to be a paramedic. 3 year straight degree, or 4 year double degree with nursing.

No way I'd be a doctor spending 8+ years at uni. I guess at the end of the day you just got to try and do what you enjoy the most. When I was younger I thought it would be cool to drive fast and get discount fastfood, but the job holds a level of respect within the community. Plus the feeling of sometimes making a difference in someone's life is pretty special.

My point was I wouldn't be in that field even for a good amount of money or prestige, wasn't trying to put down nurses/paramedics.

Edited by Tesla

My point was I wouldn't be in that field even for a good amount of money or prestige, wasn't trying to put down nurses/paramedics.

That's fair, guess I just wanted to get my point across of why I chose it and what it takes to get there as it seems a lot of guys on here are in the corporate side of things.

Here is my tip. 

If you want a job you need to cut out the competition. 

This is easy to do - don't apply for advertised jobs , you might have a 1-300 chance of getting looked at. 

If you ring around or walk up in person you have more like a 1-10 chance of getting a job. *

( * do some research on said company before you ask) 

(** Ask for the person that will employee you - Try and bypass HR) 

90% of jobs aren't advertised. Many employers are to busy to advertise or more than likely take the keen eager person that approached them first. 

Ask friends for any opportunites they know of  

Decide what you want to do.    Custom write yourself a resume to fit that job .   Tell them what they want to hear . 

Then when you get the job, learn as much as you can when your there. 

Once you are in the know then you can decide if you want to work for yourself or climb the corperate tree or use the experience to get a better job..

You don't have to have your own business to be rich (although it helps if your the lucky few % that make it work)

Just spend less than you earn , doesn't matter how much that may be.

• Like 1

Don't know about you guys but I'd rather make 60k working for myself on my own terms than making 100k working for some dipshit fat cunt in an office chair. That extra 40k can shove it, you can't put a price on a sense of personal achievement.

Edit: nevermind probably gonna end up being the dipshit fat cunt

Edited by strider
  • Like 1

Can't argue with what's been said here. If you're not already, get yourself on LinkedIn and make it complete and relevant. If you're aren't working for yourself, a vast majority of corporations/companies are looking toward it as a recruiting tool.

On that note, get in tight with recruitment agencies. Be it temp, part time or full time, the more people that know you and know you're willing to work the more they'll go straight to you when a shitkicker job opens up (I did the opposite in my early employment and took HR/recruitment places for granted/became selective on what I'd do meaning I didn't get the calls/callbacks I could have)