Melbourne Football

Round 9 City v Roar 5pm Sunday

Baka1

What a difference Connor Chapman makes. A bit of mobility. Also Garrucio into the defence and also a half competent keeper. Who can command the six yard box at least.

Ordinary game though.

Shit game. I didn't want to see Ramsay again so soon. Manager can piss off with Ramsay, Brown. Brown is shocking.

What a difference Connor Chapman makes. A bit of mobility. Also Garrucio into the defence and also a half competent keeper. Who can command the six yard box at least.

Ordinary game though.

Shit game. I didn't want to see Ramsay again so soon. Manager can piss off with Ramsay, Brown. Brown is shocking.

Brown was good today?

• Like 2

Ordinary game though.

Brown was good today?

No

• Like 1

With so many changes to the line up, I am happy to give them another chance.

We were very inexperienced today and these guys havn't really played a lot together. Let's give the younger guys a chance because we know they have room for improvement.

Add Koren and Kennedy next year and we got ourselves a nice looking team. We finally have a genuine striker and Williams will be a better player as a result of it. The aim is to be in the top 6 before the Asian Cup break but having said that we have two certain losses coming up.

Meh. Too many defensive changes at once made our defence disjointed and we were carved up by Roar in the first half. Luckily they are even worse than us at finishing as they could have been up 3-0 at HT.

Positives:

Velaphi looked more assured and made no major mistakes although was caught off his line once.

Chapman looked good, as he did in the youth derby. I hope that he keeps playing 90

No drop off in intensity during the second half for once, in fact first time for a long long time.

We were playing Roar who have as much trouble scoring as us.

Melburnians were good tonight.

Negatives:

Too cautious in the first half. I can understand why JVS didn't want to concede early but no way this team could have responded if we had gone behind in the first half. The gamble paid off this time but disappointing nevertheless.

Poor pass completion with too many turnovers

Terrible finishing as usual, nothing special there

Duff injured.

I've seen no progression in this team in 8 games, in fact we've gone backwards. It's hard to justify that we are a top 6 team.

I'm still emotionally disengaged. I was pleased we scored but that's all. I was expecting us to concede until the final seconds. I wasn't angry at the end of a home game for the first time since March so I decided not to go to the 'meet the team' event as I know that I would have left that angry. Interesting to see when Melburnians were chanting "if you love City stand up" virtually nobody stood up. Its a hard franchise to love at the moment. CFG you have a lot of work to do on and off the pitch. I don't even want to hear your bullshit excuses.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 6

At times we kept the ball well (though I seem to be the only one at the ground who likes to see it) but we don't move it forward fast enough to break teams down.

We passed it sideways and backwards for what felt like a full 10 minutes in the first half

Wasn't that long, but I didn't care, in fact I was pleased to see it.  We had the ball and were looking for openings.  You don't play 1 touch back there.  Holding the ball like that was better than bombing it long.  Its when we play like that higher up the park that i get concerned. 

All year I've been saying we need to play garuccio instead of Ramsey and velaphi instead of redmayne. Look what happened. And chapman can stay

Congrats - you're the only one who has said that this year...........

I'd wait till Garuccio comes up against some serious speed like Mabil, Ibini or Barbarouses before we say he is the answer.

But yeah, he went ok today. Chapman was far more pleasing though.

• Like 1

At times we kept the ball well (though I seem to be the only one at the ground who likes to see it) but we don't move it forward fast enough to break teams down.

We passed it sideways and backwards for what felt like a full 10 minutes in the first half

Wasn't that long, but I didn't care, in fact I was pleased to see it.  We had the ball and were looking for openings.  You don't play 1 touch back there.  Holding the ball like that was better than bombing it long.  Its when we play like that higher up the park that i get concerned. 

The only problem with that passage of play was that we were getting pushed deeper and deeper with every one of those passes. In the end Kisnorbo hit a long ball out from deep in defence to clear it that fortunately Duga was able to win a free from.

we keep passing it sideways because movement off the ball, or lack of it, leaves little opportunity to pass the ball forward. Everyone is just so static!

Out of likes.  Yes this is a significant problem.  I thought Paartalu was a bit better today in that regard.  Even with that though our guys mostly still take an age to choose an option, by which time the best one is normally gone.    

• Like 1

Nice to see the team grind out a win for once. This is only the club's 3rd 1-0 win since December 2012, with the last 1-0 win coming in February this year, and the last one before that December 2012. The team doesn't get enough of these 'business-like' wins.

Very welcome to see the team get shaken up. A real plus.

All the defensive changes put in respectable performances. Chapman is an assuring presence in defence, who's capable on the ball, and he can actually tackle and win the ball off opponents (compared with too many of our other defenders, who always drop off). Garuccio was solid but not spectacular (a real improvement on his showing against Adelaide, but I'd like to see even more from him). And Tando avoided making serious errors, which is a tick for him given our poor defensive run lately.

Brown IMO showed good intensity, and IMO he's a bit better on the ball, and a better passer, than Williams, so he adds a bit to our attack in those capacities. However, Brown is not a proper striker and it shows, and the team will be so so much better when a real striker like Kennedy enters the team.

I'm a big Melling fan. His intensity and application is top class. He keeps things ticking in midfield, and when he starts getting his powerful shots on goal he'll be one of the best up and coming midfielders in the league IMO.

Mooy was a bit selfish at the start of the match, but for the majority of it he was quality as usual, and he coolly took he penalty (something players at this club haven't always done).

Dugandzic was maybe my MOTM. He's starting to look like the 7 goals, 7 assists Mate of 2011/12 IMO. He did well to beat and outsmart Bowles and win the pen (okay, whilst it was a pen that registered down the softer end of the scale, it's the sort of pen we get called against us all the time and never get ourselves. And IMO a defender like Bowles deserves to get punished for such dreadful positioning). Also, Mate did very well to put the ball on a platter for Williams inside the box, who tragically continues to butcher good opportunities. Finally, Dugandzic runs all game and applies a respectable amount of defensive pressure.

It wasn't a high skill performance, but I'd say there was good intensity and running from the team throughout this game. Defensively the team was well organised, and Brisbane only created 2 real chances that came in the 1st half (whereas City created at least 3: Paartalu 1st half, Williams and Melling 2nd half).

And what a difference a cleansheet makes. It was probably the most pleasing aspect of this game for me, no more real stupid defensive mistakes. Being able to win a game with 1 goal, instead of needing 3, is a big advantage, so hopefully this is the start of respectable defending at Melbourne City.

Sometimes teams just need to scrap a win, or 'win ugly' if you prefer. The team minimized mistakes, played with good intensity and were organised, and kept a good cleansheet. And especially when a team is in a rut, results like this are often the required medicine to turn things around.

The real test will come with the next games, and whether the team can build upon this win. But today credit where credit is due, for the team bucking recent form and grinding out the 1-0 win.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 5

we just need to keep digging in for results like today and wait until kennedy and koren are playing. come home with a wet sail, finish 4th and then beat victory etc in the finals to lift the crown. too easy

Don't be too distracted by the result, we are playing so poorly that we were never going to play beautiful football today, however a competent team with a good finisher would have carved us up again today.

Great for a win, was still nervous at 95 mins. Reason we won was basically less errors across the board, much safer and yes boring style, but can't recall any major brain fades we've seen recently. Good balanced team tonight. I think Kisnorbo and Weilart can't play again together too similar, having Chapman pairing with either two is much better (so far). Still way behind were we want to be, but a win is a win is win.

• Like 1

Changes made to lift Melbourne City's spirit, says John van 't Schip

Michael Lynch

7 December 2014

A 1-0 win from a lucky penalty is hardly a resounding way to break your home duck for the season, but for a team that was on the end of a 5-1 mauling a week earlier, any win will do.

For Melbourne City's beleaguered coach John van't Schip the three points are welcome, but he certainly doesn't see the victory over Brisbane Roar as the start of any recovery.

"It's too early to say," was the Dutchman's guarded reaction to a game that will have eased the pressure, temporarily at least, from a club which has so far come in well below expectations this season.

Van 't Schip's decision to drop several regulars and give a number of youngsters their opportunity – particularly in defence – paid dividends, as it was the first clean sheet his team had kept all season.

He admitted that the heavy loss in Wellington last week had forced his hand.

"We gave all the players a lot of confidence in the games before, but there's a moment when something has to be done, and that was this game," he said.

"We needed to do something. We wanted to change and see if we could do things that could lift the team spirit, to give other players a chance.

"In this phase of the competition we need players that work hard and have a good spirit. That was one of the reasons we made the change."

City looked nervous in the first half, perhaps as a result of so many alterations: captain Paddy Kisnorbo aside, the entire defence and goalkeeper were different to the five that started against Wellington.

But they got more space in the second period when Brisbane had to open up more following Aaron Mooy's penalty, and they did have the opportunities to put the game away with a second goal

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/changes-made-to-lift-melbourne-citys-spirit-says-john-van-t-schip-20141207-12256m.html

Edited by Murfy1

Meh. Will take the 1-0 win but that was an ordinary match. Thought Chapman was a good inclusion and the defence generally didn't look as shaky- mind you I don't think Brisbane offered much going forward so this may have helped...

We are lucky to have gotten that penalty or I doubt we would have scored, our forwards are not flash. Williams couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo and not convinced with Brown playing there at all, our mids never seem to really want to shoot either (Melling excluded)... Hoping Koren and Kennedy bring a bit more to the table as personally I have very little faith in our attacking play at the moment