Melbourne Football

Adelaide Away Sunday 3/1/21

Baka1

1 minute ago, haz said:

There's no one in this team that I genuinely feel excited about.

Do we have anyone that can turn the game on its head? Nope.

Macca, Metcalf, Luna. Tilio didn't look to bad.

I think we play to defensive for a team pushing for a title tbh, look how CCM played, very determined, defended when they needed to but attacked as well and fast.

7 minutes ago, haz said:

There's no one in this team that I genuinely feel excited about.

Do we have anyone that can turn the game on its head? Nope.

We have easily the best squad in the league I keep hearing. Unfortunately the players you are referring too are real marquees we don’t do them.

We struggle if Jmac can’t get them on target too. 

6 minutes ago, moops said:

Macca, Metcalf, Luna. Tilio didn't look to bad.

I think we play to defensive for a team pushing for a title tbh, look how CCM played, very determined, defended when they needed to but attacked as well and fast.

But you need proper attacking players for that, even a player like Noone isn’t double covered anymore - there is nobody in the starting eleven who can take a man on.

2 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

We rely far too much on Maclaren. I don’t know where the goals are gonna come from when he inevitably and understandably has a few off days. 

Throw money at a second marque in January!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But you need proper attacking players for that, even a player like Noone isn’t double covered anymore - there is nobody in the starting eleven who can take a man on.

Throw money at a second marque in January!

I agree, we probably have the worst foreign players in the league.

• Like 1

Frustrating. 

Jamieson will have to stew over that for a weeks. Thanks to him we go down to 10 players, concede a goal and the match is done. Very poor from the captain. One of his biggest problems is his inability to keep his mouth shut. 

Maclaren didn’t have his shooting boots on and it’s a concern when he doesn’t. If he takes that earlier chance we’re looking pretty good. He won’t always be able to bury them but I was surprised he couldn’t convert, even on his left. 

Atkinson can’t come back soon enough. I can’t wait to see a proper footballer back in that position. Galloway isn’t anything special and Garuccio doesn’t impress me.

Words fail me in regards to Jamo.

It’s pretty unusual to see the captain of a side do something quite that stupid. Basically handed the game to Adelaide.
The rest of it, tight game, had our moments, O’Neill’s game disappointed me though. I thought he was poor.

Well from here we’ll see how good our coach is.

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

He was poor, Adelaide had him covered with 2 or 3 players and we kept playing the ball in the middle to him.

His passing has been very poor and his defensive work has been non existent unless he fouls.

Hopefully it is a bit of rust.

8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Thought so too but only saw it back once. Looks like he got a hand to it and wasn’t at full stretch? Probably saw it very late though. Tough one. 

It looked awkward, ball came rapidly through lots of legs, The ball was closer to his feet than his left hand, in that instance, it might be better to use your feet as takes it fraction longer to get there with your hand - the result was clear, that’s what happened.

Edited by Mr MO

42 minutes ago, moops said:

The thing that's shitty is seeing our young players playing so well for other teams. Genreau, Delianov, Piarias....

Add Dukuly, Najjarine, Najjar and even Ianucci at the ACL for Victory. Problem is they are treated like shit and can’t wait to get out.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, neio said:

As annoyed as I am at Jamo, I'm probably more annoyed that we really stuck together after the red and it took them all of 8 seconds to score 

It was planned, they studied our defensive line in those situations and realised we all dropped deep with nobody staying on the penalty spot. The replay shows it all, Metcalf looks so confused when Juric does a 360 turn away from goal.

12 minutes ago, moops said:

Moon with Brisbane changed the match v Tards, I'm not sur about paddy.

He brought Galloway on for Tilio at 0-0, whilst having exciting young attackers on the bench. Perhaps someone can explain please?

Edited by Mr MO

My opinion re: this game isn't worth much given I thought we'd roll Adelaide easily but boy, we looked really flat - even before the unforgivably braindead second yellow for Jamieson. There were a few patches in the first half which looked nice but we lacked a lot of creativity and pace moving forward and more often than not, we'd play a safe pass where somebody like a Brillante or Brattan of the past would have hit a sweet long ball to open up the pitch. 

I said pre-season that our squad looks too lean to be contending for the championship and I stand by it. Other teams have made surprisingly decent signings and we've been sitting on our hands for the most part. We need a game-breaking centre back to replace Rostyn, and we need something else in the forward half - either another winger or playmaker or somebody capable of attracting defenders, as Maclaren was constantly swamped.

Big game against WU coming up in 2 weeks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nate said:

There were a few patches in the first half which looked nice but we lacked a lot of creativity and pace moving forward and more often than not, we'd play a safe pass where somebody like a Brillante or Brattan of the past would have hit a sweet long ball to open up the pitch. 

Ie need something else in the forward half - either another winger or playmaker or somebody capable of attracting defenders, as Maclaren was constantly swamped.

On the first point i think the inclusion of Atkinson helps greatly. Atm we are trying to shoehorn Jamieson, Galloway and Garrucio into the lineup and so far they give us nothing in terms of creativity or drive. Add that to Noone moving like a geriatric means as soon as Galloway comes on both wings are basically ineffectual. When you consider both Galloway and Garrucio should at least theoretically be more influential if played in their preferred positions (Right and Left back respectively) and the only reason they haven't been has been so we can fit Jamieson in it's easy to see how the problem is made worse. 

On the second point Nabbout is that guy, with him in the lineup a bit like Novillo he is a goal scoring threat on the wing that the opposition cannot double team while still double teaming Maclaren. His loss hurts a lot. 

I also agree that the signings across the league thus far have been pretty positive, most sides have added at least 1-2 players that look like they can impact a game as well as everyone seems to be starting a young bloke that has something about him as well. I actually think the league has somehow gotten itself in a good position in terms of quality this year, it's a shame most people don't even realise it's back on. 

• Like 2

Only two pages. Regardless of pay tv, isn't everyone hungry of the game. 

Not a single player was good last night.  The red card changed everything, literally.  We should be up in the first half.  Jamo was asking for the card from the very first minute.  Noone has stayed one season too long, as it is not uncommon in the league for the visa players. Tilio was wobbly and rightly subbed. In general, we let go some better youth players.  

We need to poach more players from Adelaide, as usual. 

11 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Only two pages. Regardless of pay tv, isn't everyone hungry of the game. 

Not a single player was good last night.  The red card changed everything, literally.  We should be up in the first half.  Jamo was asking for the card from the very first minute.  Noone has stayed one season too long, as it is not uncommon in the league for the visa players. Tilio was wobbly and rightly subbed. In general, we let go some better youth players.  

We need to poach more players from Adelaide, as usual. 

Who have we poached from Adelaide who has gone on to be a regular starter for us? I would prefer us to have more faith in our own academy.