Melbourne Football

kalmar done and dusted

drewmelbcity

Saw Mate Dugandzic and Rys Williams at Baroq house on the weekend. Mate said that Nick had a run in with JVS

any detail? No detail. Didn't bother asking either. Baroq seems to be a common place for MCFC players. That's where l saw David Williams and the notorious Mifsud while Patrick Gerhardt was every week at Merrywell, Edited by Tony999

Strange, he's still training.

Also seen on which ever 6pm news I had on this evening.

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/news-photo/city-players-run-during-a-melbourne-city-fc-a-league-news-photo/460535862

Why is it strange? He's still a contracted and registered player.

LOL - I was thinking the same thing..

City are hardly going to pay him to ditch training each day and hit up the Eagle Bar for some Pool and Banter with the Chicks who live on Campus.

Good authority (club sponsor) last night had it that Kalmar is refusing to leave City until his contract expires. A place at Newcastle was negotiated on the same terms he's on at City, but he refuses to leave Melbourne.

He'd be an idiot beyond compare if this is true. A chance to put himself in the shop window and potentially earn himself another A-League  contract in 2015/16 or stay in Melbourne and set himself up for a move to the NPLV for the rest of his career.

Good authority (club sponsor) last night had it that Kalmar is refusing to leave City until his contract expires. A place at Newcastle was negotiated on the same terms he's on at City, but he refuses to leave Melbourne.

He'd be an idiot beyond compare if this is true. A chance to put himself in the shop window and potentially earn himself another A-League  contract in 2015/16 or stay in Melbourne and set himself up for a move to the NPLV for the rest of his career.

Well without being too unkind, he wouldn't be the first idiot on planet earth if he was, would he?

When you are in a transition period in your life and under pressure, making clear, positive and unemotional decisions about your future can be difficult.  Moving would be best for his career and probably good for him as a person too (from experience these moves out of your comfort zone can be the best moves you ever make, on top of that he can come back to Melbourne (the town) in a few months if it doesn't work out, better for the experience if nothing else).  

Right now he might not see that, but hopefully if he has the right people in his life, he can see that its really an opportunity for him and not a setback.

Edited by Shahanga

So, if the sheiks brother employs Kalmar (and others that need imminent delisting) down there at the family airline company on the unspoken and unwritten proviso that they bugger off so we can sign some new cattle to properly fill out our roster and not have salary cap issues, would that be a problem?

I mean - if these guys want to leave the club they need to get a job somewhere, the FFA can't begrudge them that.

If accurate, it's probably the most bloody-minded player career choice, since Latrell Sprewell turned down a 3 year/$21 million contract because he 'had a family to feed' (yes, that's actually what he said publicly). And that didn't exactly work out well for Sprewell.

I think he sees the writing on the wall and thinks he wont go any further at another a league club and is probably continuing in the vpl so if i were him id do the same frankly. Im assuming that we cant transferre an a league contract to a vpl team? Which might be the only way around it

This bloke is rubbish.

The sooner he realises it the better it is for him.

Its an analogy similar to his girlfriend dumping him - and he still wants to stay in her life to annoy her .............. rather than trying to find a new girl and move on with his life.

Sounds like a pathetic looser.

Sad Sad Sad

Maybe he will realise that if he plays in the NPL he will struggle.

This bloke is rubbish.

The sooner he realises it the better it is for him.

Its an analogy similar to his girlfriend dumping him - and he still wants to stay in her life to annoy her .............. rather than trying to find a new girl and move on with his life.

Sounds like a pathetic looser.

Sad Sad Sad

Maybe he will realise that if he plays in the NPL he will struggle.

I have never seen the point of having this guy on the list since Season One either but I think you are being a bit harsh.

For one: Kalmar will no doubt be a star in the NPL... he is that type of player.

And secondly: There are more than a few players who have turned down contracts interstate in the A-League to stay close to their families and pick up the same/if not usually better money in the NPL by working a full time job (often provided by the NPL club) alongside collecting a Semi-Pro wage.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Probably already got a deal in place with the Knights or someone so he just wants to collect his salary until the City contract ends.

If that's his mentality his not a footballer.

This is your one shot - you either try and take it, or you can dream about what could have been.

Goodwin was told he was no good for Adelaide, so he tried his luck and Heart gave him a go.

He has gone on to represent Australia.

Kalmar doesn't have it because he doesn't want it!

If i got a second chance i would take it.

• Like 2

I think he sees the writing on the wall and thinks he wont go any further at another a league club and is probably continuing in the vpl so if i were him id do the same frankly. Im assuming that we cant transferre an a league contract to a vpl team? Which might be the only way around it

He's never been a favourite of mine, but  I'd be staggered if someone in Kalmar's position was thinking that way. You never know what could happen with him at Newcastle (and presumably they think he might be able to fill a role, if they're happy to take him), but you do know what will happen with him at Melbourne: that he won't play unless there is a ridiculous amount of injuries and even then he's unlikely, considering how overstocked we are with midfielders.

He might have a really good reason as to why he doesn't want to leave Melbourne, none of us know.

That makes more sense to me and would be fair enough. Football isn't everything.

Probably already got a deal in place with the Knights or someone so he just wants to collect his salary until the City contract ends.

This is your one shot - you either try and take it, or you can dream about what could have been.

Goodwin was told he was no good for Adelaide, so he tried his luck and Heart gave him a go.

Actually you are forgetting that like anybody else the bloke is a person before he is a footballer and like myself you really know nothing about Nick Kalmar the person.

He might have a sick family member in Melbourne or a partner who has a promising career in Melbourne... and so his put his football career into perspective with such things at the back of his mind.

He may have simply decided that perhaps $85k for a Part Time Job plus two nights of training and a game in Melbourne is a better option than $50k for having to constantly train and travel out of Newcastle.

I am also sure he also has a Manger who has a much better read of the Professional Footballer value of Nick Kalmar than we have advising him on what his options are ATM.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Actually you are forgetting that like anybody else the bloke is a person before he is a footballer and like myself you really know nothing about Nick Kalmar the person.

He might have a sick family member in Melbourne or a partner who has a promising career in Melbourne... and so his put his football career into perspective with such things at the back of his mind.

He may have simply decided that perhaps $85k for a Part Time Job plus two nights of training and a game in Melbourne is a better option than $50k for having to constantly train and travel out of Newcastle.

I am also sure he also has a Manger who has a much better read of the Professional Footballer value of Nick Kalmar than we have advising him on what his options are ATM.

Blah Blah Blah

As kids we wish to be professional footballs.

A small select few make it, some get a chance, while most will never make it.

If he doesn't take up the opportunity to revive his professional football dream - then he will get to his 40's and regret it.

Players move clubs - even when they have a family.  How many EPL players play for a club while their family live elsewhere?????? 

Some players even play abroad while their family live elsewhere.

I believe we were close to signing a marque last season (before orlando) that was playing for one team while his family resided elsewhere.

Professional players do what they have to.

He just doesn't want it!

......Which is better for Newcastle as they can now get a player that actually wants to play A-League.

While Nick can rot here at a club that even their supporters would be glad he left.

Blah Blah Blah

If he doesn't take up the opportunity to revive his professional football dream - then he will get to his 40's and regret it.

Players move clubs - even when they have a family.  How many EPL players play for a club while their family live elsewhere?????? 

I believe we were close to signing a marque last season (before orlando) that was playing for one team while his family resided elsewhere.

He just doesn't want it!

......Which is better for Newcastle as they can now get a player that actually wants to play A-League.

While Nick can rot here at a club that even their supporters would be glad he left.

How are your examples of EPL players and A-League International Marquees at all relevant??? :droy:

This is situation where a bloke does not want to live in bloody Newcastle away from his family and friends to train his arse off for only limited game time and a wage that is not only less than what the $57k that the average aussie earns but a fair bit less than what he would earn doing less work as a Semi Pro in Melbourne with a Part Time Job.

Like I said before he is a Person entitled to better his life and wage as well as a bloody Footballer FFS.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Blah Blah Blah

Maybe it's no longer his dream...

Plus who the fuck wants to live in Newcastle?

A mate of mine fucked a chick from Newy and got chlamydia. Never trust newy 

Edited by kingofhearts

Guys he's not facing emigration - it's for something like 4 months!

Perhaps he has a family crisis he is dealing with but if not it's a strange one, most would jump at the pro lifeline and as I said earlier even if it doesn't work out the challenge would help him grow as a person and probably a footballer too.

Anyway whatever it's his career and life to bugger up if he wants.

• Like 1

Blah Blah Blah

Players move clubs - even when they have a family. How many EPL players play for a club while their family live elsewhere??????

He just doesn't want it!

While Nick can rot here at a club that even their supporters would be glad he left. Agree with Cadete on this. Think you may have watched Goal a few too many times. Not every pro footballer grows up dreaming of playing in a world cup. A lot of them probably do it because they're good enough at it to get payed for kicking a ball around a paddock. You don't have to be a football romantic to be a pro, you just need enough talent to land a spot at a club, and sometimes that means just earning a decent wage and living comfortably in Melbourne rather than "chasing the dream" earning less money in Newcastle.

Edited by GreenSeater

How are your examples of EPL players and A-League International Marquees at all relevant??? :droy:

This is situation where a bloke does not want to live in bloody Newcastle away from his family and friends to train his arse off for only limited game time and a wage that is not only less than what the $57k that the average aussie earns but a fair bit less than what he would earn doing less work as a Semi Pro in Melbourne with a Part Time Job.

Like I said before he is a Person entitled to better his life and wage as well as a bloody Footballer FFS.

Did you even read my post?

What are you talking about a .............. "How are your examples of EPL players and A-League International Marquees at all relevant???"

If you read it, my post focuses on players who are playing for clubs while their families reside in another area. 

Of interest Josh Kennedy was playing in Japan while his wife and kids were here in Australia.  Players all over the world have to leave their family in one town/city/country to play elsewhere.

Even Posh Spice didn't move to Paris.

Is Newcastle a bad club?  It must have been after it gave Mark Milligan his first taste, and of late Brilliante, Tagart, Goodwin ..................

Bad Club?????? - Maybe a bad Post.

You can always look back on a life that was - but you can never look back on a life that could-have been.

To me, he will only be remembers for that one goal against Newcastle on a suburban football pitch.

If he chose family over a revived a-league career then he will regret this decision for the rest of his life.

What are you talking about a .............. "How are your examples of EPL players and A-League International Marquees at all relevant???"

If you read it, my post focuses on players who are playing for clubs while their families reside in another area.

Of interest Josh Kennedy was playing in Japan while his wife and kids were here in Australia. Players all over the world have to leave their family in one town/city/country to play elsewhere.

Is Newcastle a bad club? It must have been after it gave Mark Milligan his first taste, and of late Brilliante, Tagart, Goodwin ..................

You can always look back on a life that was - but you can never look back on a life that could-have been.

To me, he will only be remembers for that one goal against Newcastle on a suburban football pitch.

If he chose family over a revived a-league career then he will regret this decision for the rest of his life.

That's only your opinion mate.

Different people will have different priorities...

Of interest Josh Kennedy was playing in Japan while his wife and kids were here in Australia.  Players all over the world have to leave their family in one town/city/country to play elsewhere.

Is Newcastle a bad club?  It must have been after it gave Mark Milligan his first taste, and of late Brilliante, Tagart, Goodwin ..................

or maybe he lives with no regrets

not everyone can regret a what would have been in life

some people accept life for what it is, he may just accept that his happy to see out his contract and go back to suburban football

some people accept life for what it is, he may just accept that his happy to see out his contract and go back to suburban football

You don't live with regret today - you live with regret tomorrow.

If he is happy to see out his contract and play NPL - then do the club, supporters ......and most importantly himself........... a favour and leave now.

Go and start pre-season with your new NPL club.

He is not being picked to play senior or youth football - so what is he actually doing with his time at the club??????????

You don't live with regret today - you live with regret tomorrow.

If he is happy to see out his contract and play NPL - then do the club, supporters ......and most importantly himself........... a favour and leave now.

Go and start pre-season with your new NPL club.

He is not being picked to play senior or youth football - so what is he actually doing with his time at the club??????????

Polishing boots

and filling the wheelie bins up with ice

also when he has some EXTRA spare time putting seats back together at Etihad ;)