Melbourne Football

Matchday Thread 20-21

Tommykins

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Certainly in the "old days" that would have been ruled offside by a mile. Just shows how football has changed over the years.

Attackers now stand in an offside position to basically get an advantage (confuse the defenders, basically), as they know it won’t be called unless they touch the ball.

Ironically this is in direct contradiction to the actual law, which says you can’t gain an advantage, but must be seen as too hard to adjudicate on at every occasion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Western United have been bungled from the start. Pretty hard to get some consistent attendance when you have a different home ground every two weeks.

Yeah.

I wonder what that’s about. 
I thought they were after the western demographic. Very strange. 

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Western United have been bungled from the start. Pretty hard to get some consistent attendance when you have a different home ground every two weeks.

Yes. Also, I used to think a Sunday 5.00 p.m. KO was the graveyard shift, but a wet Sunday at 6.40 p.m. tops that, especially when you factor in the time taken to get to the ground and therefore when you have to leave home.

I know that the television contract means every match is to be broadcast live, but IMO it would be better to play the matches on Friday evenings and Saturdays, and IMO the fixturing is a major issue for APL to look at. I think a more regular fixture encourages people to develop the habit of attending, especially as we go into winter.

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes. Also, I used to think a Sunday 5.00 p.m. KO was the graveyard shift, but a wet Sunday at 6.40 p.m. tops that, especially when you factor in the time taken to get to the ground and therefore when you have to leave home.

I know that the television contract means every match is to be broadcast live, but IMO it would be better to play the matches on Friday evenings and Saturdays, and IMO the fixturing is a major issue for APL to look at. I think a more regular fixture encourages people to develop the habit of attending, especially as we go into winter.

Would be nice. Look at our blockbuster match against CCM...buried on a Monday night. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Baka1 said:

Watching the visitors vs sydney.... I really haven’t seen a more hopeless side. Bring on the derby

Just thinking the same thing. Can they get their shit together in two weeks? Because right now they are NPL standard at best, so the sooner we play them the better. Frankly Sydney winning 0-3 was a below par result.

Peak A League?

at the 89th minute last night (Scum vs Perth, Kogarah Oval) quite a few lights went out.  Game awarded to Sydney who were ahead 1-0. 

Im kind of thinking this is up there with when Roar had their numbers coming off? Just shouldn’t happen.

PS I didn’t watch it just the FA app mini match package, which bizarrely showed virtually no Perth highlights. 

Edited by Shahanga

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nate said:

Victory up 5-1 against WSW at the 73rd minute and almost bottled it, finishing 5-4 lol.

Wanderers honestly could have won it, let alone drawn if Kamau actually knew how to shoot (don't miss him).

Both teams are trash.

Honestly who loses to that rabble? 
Wanderers have fallen a long way since inventing football back in 2012.

As to Brucey, not his night. He’s scored 5 goals this season though, and he’s just a winger who hasn’t even started every week.
Not saying he’d make our starting XI, but he’s having a decent season.

Got at least one assist tonight too.

13 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Honestly who loses to that rabble? 
Wanderers have fallen a long way since inventing football back in 2012.

As to Brucey, not his night. He’s scored 5 goals this season though, and he’s just a winger who hasn’t even started every week.
Not saying he’d make our starting XI, but he’s having a decent season.

Got at least one assist tonight too.

The Championship beckons...

Bet on WSW last night and Victory decide to show up. Plonkers.