Melbourne Football

Matchday Thread 20-21

Tommykins

28 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Pulsating game at Gosford yesterday. I’m thinking this is the best season of the A League in quite a while. 
Not sure precisely why but Covid financial issues may have led to better quality imports in general.

What do the A League connoisseurs think? , including @bt50 and @Embee

Can you be a connoisseur of the A-League? Or are you an aficionado?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Pulsating game at Gosford yesterday. I’m thinking this is the best season of the A League in quite a while. 
Not sure precisely why but Covid financial issues may have led to better quality imports in general.

Whilst I think we've definitely got a good crop of VISAs down here at the moment (Victory and Newcastle excluded), I honestly think the 5 sub rule has made as much of a difference as anything else tbh.

More fresh players on the park and coaches having more opportunities to adjust and react during games.

Agree wholeheartedly that it's the best A-League season we've seen for some time though, possibly the best ever. Another incredible finish having just gone by in Wollongong too!

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Embee said:

Whilst I think we've definitely got a good crop of VISAs down here at the moment (Victory and Newcastle excluded), I honestly think the 5 sub rule has made as much of a difference as anything else tbh.

More fresh players on the park and coaches having more opportunities to adjust and react during games.

Agree wholeheartedly that it's the best A-League seen we've seen for some time though, possibly the best ever. Another incredible finish having just gone by in Wollongong too!

Given this some more thought.

I wonder if all the Aussie coaches have helped. Either due to culture or perhaps inexperience, they want to win and aren’t that interested in cynical draws. Look at Wollongong vs Pissants just now. Both trying to win the game at the death.

20 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Totally agree that this is the best A League season for a while, perhaps ever.

I'm probably of the school of thought that the standard, or at least the calibre of player, has actually dropped ever so slightly, but the style and entertainment value is up through the roof.

My initial reasoning is that at the start of the season a lot of the clubs lost a lot of quality in terms of Aussies particularly, and so with a bulk of the coaches being Australian many clubs saw it as a window to blood youth and effectively had nothing to lose. I reckon that lent itself to free-flowing football and perhaps now that the wider football community has had a chance to see what that looks like, the coaches have erred on the side of keeping it that way rather than the defensive win at all costs approach.

I reckon the other key factor is that the table is so compressed in the middle, and had been all season; clubs understand how a point is going backwards and a win is vital in terms of jockeying for positions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Only 990 people at AAMI last night to see Western United and Newcastle (2-0).

Another goal to Pierias.

It certainly looked like 2 men and their dog.

The latest expansion clubs have really struggled for patrons. Not having a home ground wouldn’t be helping WUN and neither does Monday night games.

I know the heart team coped a bit of shit but Munn and his team worked their tails off to build a fan base. Their achievements look a lot better now compared to these newer arrivals.

• Like 1

Western United absolutely botched their marketing prior to their inaugural 2019-20 season, not to mention the awful nomadic experience they're making their supporter base suffer through. 

Imagine having Alessandro fucking Diamanti and not being able to draw a crowd, honestly.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Nate said:

Western United absolutely botched their marketing prior to their inaugural 2019-20 season, not to mention the awful nomadic experience they're making their supporter base suffer through. 

Imagine having Alessandro fucking Diamanti and not being able to draw a crowd, honestly.

Pretty much this.

I have greater hopes for MacArthur as they at least have a home ground to play at, as well as being attached to a local area. Who and what the fuck are western United? What do they stand for? What the actual fuck are they? What "western" area are they attached to? It goes back to a point that I believe hasn't been raised enough when talking about them:

Was there really a need/market to bring in a third Victorian team?

Can we just admit it was a disaster and move the licence to a better more sustainable area? Or better yet, why was the team not permanently left in Geelong last season after gaining some support down there?

Just a shitshow all round

Just now, kingofhearts said:

Pretty much this.

I have greater hopes for MacArthur as they at least have a home ground to play at, as well as being attached to a local area. Who and what the fuck are western United? What do they stand for? What the actual fuck are they? What "western" area are they attached to? It goes back to a point that I believe hasn't been raised enough when talking about them:

Was there really a need/market to bring in a third Victorian team?

It was not like have exactly been killing attendances in our short history as it is. Why bring in another team when the interest just simply wasn't there?

Can we just admit it was a disaster and move the licence to a better more sustainable area? Or better yet, why was the team not permanently left in Geelong last season after gaining some support down there?

Just a shitshow all round

On 26/04/2021 at 7:29 AM, bt50 said:

Totally agree that this is the best A League season for a while, perhaps ever.

I'm probably of the school of thought that the standard, or at least the calibre of player, has actually dropped ever so slightly, but the style and entertainment value is up through the roof.

My initial reasoning is that at the start of the season a lot of the clubs lost a lot of quality in terms of Aussies particularly, and so with a bulk of the coaches being Australian many clubs saw it as a window to blood youth and effectively had nothing to lose. I reckon that lent itself to free-flowing football and perhaps now that the wider football community has had a chance to see what that looks like, the coaches have erred on the side of keeping it that way rather than the defensive win at all costs approach.

I reckon the other key factor is that the table is so compressed in the middle, and had been all season; clubs understand how a point is going backwards and a win is vital in terms of jockeying for positions.

All previous points are bang on and for this has been easily the most watchable season, I've mentioned somewhere before unless City are playing I would rarely watch, but this season I've watched most games.

For me the major factor is the temperature. Having played quite a bit over 25 degrees is just hard.

Downside is obviously the other codes and fan comfort but if they game is a better quality/spectacle it will be way more beneficial long term, in particular as TV product off shore.

Very interested in the next 2 seasons as a full move to winter looks likely and personally I'm bullish on the idea.

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Adelaide vs WU -10 yellows and 2 reds. Chris Beath in action. Scoreless draw.

Chris Beath is consistently one of the worst referees in the league, perhaps only trumped in awfulness by Kurt Ams. 

I don't understand how he's received the adulation he has over the years and I think his lack of ability has only been compounded as the refereeing quality has generally improved across the league a fair stretch this season (VAR not-permitting).

3 minutes ago, haz said:

Just need to beat Perth to lock in a great round for us.

These "rounds" are all jumbled up for me...I just look at the number of matches played by each club. We're in the box seat but I still fear Sydney most of all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

These "rounds" are all jumbled up for me...I just look at the number of matches played by each club. We're in the box seat but I still fear Sydney most of all.

Bobo and Le Fondre are washed up.

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

What kind of fucking show they running at that horse and buggy outfit?

Things aren’t flash when a state league 5 side is flogging you.

will WU be around next year?

I'm astonished to see that Diamanti hadn't scored a goal until this match.

Victory up to 6 - they're threatening our record goal hauls for the season!

Edited by jw1739

• 2 weeks later...