Melbourne Football

Matchday Thread 20-21

Tommykins

Football's back for only 17 minutes before VAR reminds me that it's been ruined. 
I've said it before, but if the decision takes more than a minute than benefit of the doubt should be given to the ref's original call.

This little bit of Magic from 442 Forums Tard Mod.

McDonald was nearly a metre onside, but it shouldn't be a goal because it took too long for VAR to get their digital measuring stick out.

• Like 1

Tards ran out of legs after 45 minutes, they have to back up in Brisbane in the humidity next week before travelling to Adelaide. Rojas looks like he'll miss a few weeks, Gestede looks like a glorified bollard and they don't have Lawrence Thomas in goal to cover their terrible defenders.

How long until they start calling for Muscat to return? I'm guessing as soon as their club page posts the result on social media.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Tards ran out of legs after 45 minutes, they have to back up in Brisbane in the humidity next week before travelling to Adelaide. Rojas looks like he'll miss a few weeks, Gestede looks like a glorified bollard and they don't have Lawrence Thomas in goal to cover their terrible defenders.

How long until they start calling for Muscat to return? I'm guessing as soon as their club page posts the result on social media.

I only saw the second half.

Brissy put them to the sword. Tards didn’t offer a lot for mine.

9 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

I don't disagree but that decision did take ludicrously long. That review should have taken at most 20 seconds, not the minutes it actually took.

Someone explain to me why McDonald was not offside? To me it looks as if he is.

image.png.4bb098875ca9c1eda263abb6d0696b5d.png

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Western United have started very poorly vs. the Tards.

Be interesting to see if Rudan has a way to get more out of this side.

didnt see the first 20 min so cant comment

but by God the tards got lucky.  two marginal VAR offsides (yes, i know they were technically offside by the smallest margins but FFS - where is the benefit of the doubt going the attackers way???), Diamanti belted the cross bar twice, i dont think the tards could have been more lucky other than some bullshit own goal by Western United against the run of play.  then again, KIrdar (i think) forced a good save from Kurto at the death so .....................

i do wonder on how long it will take the tards board to turn on Brebner.  shit appointment in the first place, serves them right

Edited by mattyh001

Who ever thought watching the Mariners would be quite enjoyable. It's nice to see a team playing 2 up front instead of the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 that every club in the world seems to be playing at the moment. Nice and direct, no pissing about passing across the backline for 5 minutes before attempting to venture over half way, just get the ball forward quick, whip crosses in and press like madmen from the front.

11 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Gonna be hilarious to see who is shitter come derby day against Tards 🤣🤣

As shite as some of our results have been, we've been in most games (only the Glory game was bad and even then we had our chances) 

They on the other hand have been a complete rabble, and got lucky when they won (funnily enough against the Glory) 

Of course, the Heart of old would find a way to lose the derby so..... 

I'm not surprised that the bottom four are the bottom four. Wellington are away from New Zealand and their home(s) for the whole season it seems, and it has been Victoria that has born the brunt of isolations and lock-downs. There's hardly anyone to whom I've spoken who has not said that the biggest impact on them during the lockdown was their loss of motivation. Add to that I don't resile from my view that City has a poor squad this season, and a novice coach, and that we have sold ourselves short on both visa and marquee players. I think the issues in the club run deeper than PK's coaching.

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not surprised that the bottom four are the bottom four. Wellington are away from New Zealand and their home(s) for the whole season it seems, and it has been Victoria that has born the brunt of isolations and lock-downs. There's hardly anyone to whom I've spoken who has not said that the biggest impact on them during the lockdown was their loss of motivation. Add to that I don't resile from my view that City has a poor squad this season, and a novice coach, and that we have sold ourselves short on both visa and marquee players. I think the issues in the club run deeper than PK's coaching.

I'm actually ok with our squad. 

• Like 1

Australian Professional Leagues MUST sort out what the role of the VAR is. IMO it is to adjudicate on certain decisions that the field ref. is uncertain about. It must NOT be adjudicating on every second of play via video screen. Pulling the game back to the other end of the field to give a penalty that the field ref. didn't even see or question must not be part of the game. 

I don't see why we have to use it in our domestic league - is it a FIFA regulation? IMO the game was far better without it. Players make mistakes, referees make mistakes, linesmen make mistakes - mistakes are part of the game. It can be a dull game without them.

If you have to review the play for anything exceeding 10 seconds then it means that the original sequence was too close to call one way or the other so you are better off letting the field officials call it as they saw it. VAR just adds another layer of controversy on top of the occasional on-field decision.

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

If that goal by Thurgate isn't offside by O'Donovan then I think I'd like to restart the grand final at 1-0 up please, VAR.

Im comfortable that he made zero impact on the goal keeper tbh. Wales was more of a tight ran thing imo, but still dont think Redders is getting to it either way.

• Like 1