Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

• 2 weeks later...

TTIM... iiNet must be the worst internet provider in the country by a mile. So much hassle to transfer an existing account from one house to another. FMD, after they say that the job is complete I still have to wait for 24-48 hours for my email service to resume. I still have internet and VOIP but no email. It shouldn't be so hard.

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM... iiNet must be the worst internet provider in the country by a mile. So much hassle to transfer an existing account from one house to another. FMD, after they say that the job is complete I still have to wait for 24-48 hours for my email service to resume. I still have internet and VOIP but no email. It shouldn't be so hard.

"Best customer service in the country" 

(It all went downhill when TPG bought them out) 

Edited by haz

• 1 month later...

TTIM... ...on a permanent basis - Australia Post. Three times in three weeks I have had items sent to me from metropolitan Melbourne to me here in Moorabbin that have first been sent to Melbourne Airport and then on two occasions sent to Sydney before being returned and ultimate (late) delivery. One "express post" item took two weeks to arrive after being posted in Reservoir! The latest item didn't make it to Sydney but from Thursday at the Airport it still hasn't made it to me here.

Most of AP's increased load of items must be a circulating load going backwards and forwards to various airports around the country. Its "system" just doesn't work efficiently. An absolute bloody disgrace. And if you raise an issue with AP it tells you that the investigation will only start when your item is 15 days overdue!

FMD, Cobb & Co. was faster than this mob.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM... ...on a permanent basis - Australia Post. Three times in three weeks I have had items sent to me from metropolitan Melbourne to me here in Moorabbin that have first been sent to Melbourne Airport and then on two occasions sent to Sydney before being returned and ultimate (late) delivery. One "express post" item took two weeks to arrive after being posted in Reservoir! The latest item didn't make it to Sydney but from Thursday at the Airport it still hasn't made it to me here.

Most of AP's increased load of items must be a circulating load going backwards and forwards to various airports around the country. Its "system" just doesn't work efficiently. An absolute bloody disgrace. And if you raise an issue with AP it tells you that the investigation will only start when your item is 15 days overdue!

FMD, Cobb & Co. was faster than this mob.

My brother use to work for them, can confirm they're the most useless cunts out there.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Mate, when I was a kid not even the milk bars were open.

When I lived in Tassie there was the "petrol station rostering" system. Don't know whether they still have it. FMD, we need to jerk Australia into the 21st century. The simplest of things. Today trying to book a CT scan at the hospital up the road - 15 minutes listening to "All our operators are busy just now. One of our team will be with you shortly." The inefficiencies are staggering.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

When I lived in Tassie there was the "petrol station rostering" system. Don't know whether they still have it. FMD, we need to jerk Australia into the 21st century. The simplest of things. Today trying to book a CT scan at the hospital up the road - 15 minutes listening to "All our operators are busy just now. One of our team will be with you shortly." The inefficiencies are staggering.

Don't forget that trading during PH was the norm due to religious reasons. In Victoria the laws were passed in 1905 when some local religious zealots got elected and pushed it through. Bringing it into the 21st century would require to run counter to the evangelicals now that the Catholic Church is busy fending off the ped lawsuits.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TTIM...the absence of a simple, responsible and convenient way to deal with recyclable items in Australia. If I follow the guidelines issued by my local council on dealing with all the recyclables that my life produces I would, every month, spend hours and hours and no little money on going here, there and everywhere in Melbourne to be "responsible." So, like most people, I don't. We're only scratching the surface with what we do now.

It irks me too that stores that are so keen on eliminating single-use plastic bags continue to sell many items, especially imported ones, that are in non-recyclable packaging.

TTIM....Myki. Truly, this system is stuffed. Twice I've gone on-line to set up an auto top-top for two cards, in both cases have received a "receipt" and reference number for the transaction, only for nothing to happen at all and when I call the Help line they can't even find the reference number that I received for the transactions.

This "system" is so clunky it's unbelievable.

On 15/06/2022 at 12:53 PM, jw1739 said:

TTIM...the absence of a simple, responsible and convenient way to deal with recyclable items in Australia. If I follow the guidelines issued by my local council on dealing with all the recyclables that my life produces I would, every month, spend hours and hours and no little money on going here, there and everywhere in Melbourne to be "responsible." So, like most people, I don't. We're only scratching the surface with what we do now.

It irks me too that stores that are so keen on eliminating single-use plastic bags continue to sell many items, especially imported ones, that are in non-recyclable packaging.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/60-minutes-plastic-australian-recycling-malaysia-china/e1a06745-9b35-4b15-85cb-32168ef9b440

majority just ends up in a tip somewhere here or overseas, no need to waste all your energy sorting through it in your free time

Edited by Young Polak

On 22/06/2022 at 12:32 PM, Young Polak said:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/60-minutes-plastic-australian-recycling-malaysia-china/e1a06745-9b35-4b15-85cb-32168ef9b440

majority just ends up in a tip somewhere here or overseas, no need to waste all your energy sorting through it in your free time

I read that at the time. It also shits me that supermarket chains make a big deal of banning one type of plastic bag whilst at the same time selling a big chunk of their items in non-recyclable containers, especially imported items. Likewise councils making a big deal of "saving" a few tons of food waste (all biodegradeable) by putting it in our "green bins" - which most people don't do because after waiting a fortnight for collection it stinks to high heaven.

These token programs don't address the real issue.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I read that at the time. It also shits me that supermarket chains make a big deal of banning one type of plastic bag whilst at the same time selling a big chunk of their items in non-recyclable containers, especially imported items. Likewise councils making a big deal of "saving" a few tons of food waste (all biodegradeable) by putting it in our "green bins" - which most people don't do because after waiting a fortnight for collection it stinks to high heaven.

These token programs don't address the real issue.

https://www.3aw.com.au/more-businesses-bombarded-with-fridges-they-didnt-ask-for/

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, haz said:

TTIM: Hawthorne Football Club. 

Hawthorne is in Qld; Hawthorn is in Vic.

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Shameful though the allegations are if they are substantiated, IMO it is quite wrong that individuals at the club are named publicly by the media. This is trial by public opinion.

Agreed. Although I don't know how it should be handled - if everyone is kept anonymous then speculation runs rampant and everyone gets the finger pointed at them - this is what happened with the Robert Hughes sexual abuse case and innocent actors/staff were suddenly being speculated on. At a minimum, the club and AFL need top move with haste to ensure that everyone gets a response.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

TTIM...

We're hear a lot of shit about  unnecessary personal data being collected and then databases not being protected.

I just tried to have my late mother-in-law's data deleted from the database held by Ambulance Victoria. The response? Legislation requires the information to be held for 7 years after the death of a member.

WTF for I have no idea.

I'm trying to find out which particular legislation is involved.

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM...

We're hear a lot of shit about  unnecessary personal data being collected and then databases not being protected.

I just tried to have my late mother-in-law's data deleted from the database held by Ambulance Victoria. The response? Legislation requires the information to be held for 7 years after the death of a member.

WTF for I have no idea.

I'm trying to find out which particular legislation is involved.

I imagine it is Section 284 of the Corporations Act requiring all businesses to keep financial information for seven years. Your mother-in-laws invoices and receipts would come under this

4 hours ago, Le Hack said:

I imagine it is Section 284 of the Corporations Act requiring all businesses to keep financial information for seven years. Your mother-in-laws invoices and receipts would come under this

I've just had an answer. I quote:

"Victorian Government agencies engaged in emergency services are subject to the Public Records Act 1973 and the Public Record Office Victoria Record keeping Standards.

The Public Record Office of Victoria’s (PROV) PROS 17/02 Emergency Services Function RDA sets the minimum period that AV are required to keep member data which is seven (7) years after the last date of cover or contact with the member, whichever is later. You can review this on the PROV website."

Of course, all this predates the widespread use of computers and the internet. Needs complete overhaul IMO.

4 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Even if that were the case, surely all that needs to be kept is to identify members by their TFN/Medicare number? There is no need to keep personal details, because those are held by government departments/agencies already.

Edited by jw1739

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Even if that were the case, surely all that needs to be kept is to identify members by their TFN/Medicare number? There is no need to keep personal details, because those are held by government departments/agencies already.

No - way back in 1987 the public made it very clear that all government departments require specific legislation for data sharing. We think of it as the government but in practice they are different departments and the sharing of data between departments (let alone state government agencies and their interstate/federal colleagues) can only occur through specific legislation. Hence the crap.

My thoughts are that on a voluntary scheme, the government can create a unique number that can be referenced by agencies to cross correlate data. The person would need to approve access by agencies. And of course the data can be maintained safe with the latest security feature.

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

No - way back in 1987 the public made it very clear that all government departments require specific legislation for data sharing. We think of it as the government but in practice they are different departments and the sharing of data between departments (let alone state government agencies and their interstate/federal colleagues) can only occur through specific legislation. Hence the crap.

My thoughts are that on a voluntary scheme, the government can create a unique number that can be referenced by agencies to cross correlate data. The person would need to approve access by agencies. And of course the data can be maintained safe with the latest security feature.

Fair enough. But again, I'd suggest that the situation in 1987 was very different to that in 2022. My main point that "record keeping standards" that were appropriate in 1973 or even 1987 are not appropriate any longer. And even if they have to be kept for some purpose that I cannot think of, then you can do better than just have them in the most readable form.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Fair enough. But again, I'd suggest that the situation in 1987 was very different to that in 2022. My main point that "record keeping standards" that were appropriate in 1973 or even 1987 are not appropriate any longer. And even if they have to be kept for some purpose that I cannot think of, then you can do better than just have them in the most readable form.

Fully agree with you but I have not heard any public suggestion that we need to revisit the concept of a single secure repository or as is my preference split data centres.

• 1 month later...

Time for my latest irk (not a new one)...

Recycling, or the lack of it, in Australia. The "new labelling" is confusing. Just decided to look in detail at what the label on my empty tub of yoghurt actually says.

The top is unconditionally recyclable. The inside sealing foil is conditionally recyclable.
The label says it is conditionally recyclable if I peel it off.  The tub should be put in the rubbish for landfill. There is no mention of the padding underneath the tub, and when you remove that padding the logo on the bottom of the tub says that the tub is recyclable after all.

Who's going to bother with all this especially after the negative publicity surrounding the collapse of Victoria's recycling industry? Don't these people understand the KISS principle?

Likewise household batteries. Who's going to bother to to make a special trip to to the Council Depot to deposit a small container of batteries when the obvious answer is to have the collection point at the hardware store where you buy new ones?

Likewise all this self-congratulation by councils who are directing miniscule amounts of food waste into the green waste stream. The bloody bin stinks to high heaven and is swarming with flies and maggots after waiting two weeks for the next collection. At the same time as farmers are throwing away huge volumes of fresh produce because it doesn't meet "cosmetic and visual expectations."

FMD. It's all to hard. And what happens? We take the easy way and it all goes in the household rubbish for landfill.

And anything that seriously shouldn't be going to landfill you put in a neighbour's bin up the road after everyone has gone to sleep for the night. As some bastard did in mine a week ago...but I don't blame them!

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Time for my latest irk (not a new one)...

Recycling, or the lack of it, in Australia. The "new labelling" is confusing. Just decided to look in detail at what the label on my empty tub of yoghurt actually says.

The top is unconditionally recyclable. The inside sealing foil is conditionally recyclable.
The label says it is conditionally recyclable if I peel it off.  The tub should be put in the rubbish for landfill. There is no mention of the padding underneath the tub, and when you remove that padding the logo on the bottom of the tub says that the tub is recyclable after all.

Who's going to bother with all this especially after the negative publicity surrounding the collapse of Victoria's recycling industry? Don't these people understand the KISS principle?

Likewise household batteries. Who's going to bother to to make a special trip to to the Council Depot to deposit a small container of batteries when the obvious answer is to have the collection point at the hardware store where you buy new ones?

Likewise all this self-congratulation by councils who are directing miniscule amounts of food waste into the green waste stream. The bloody bin stinks to high heaven and is swarming with flies and maggots after waiting two weeks for the next collection. At the same time as farmers are throwing away huge volumes of fresh produce because it doesn't meet "cosmetic and visual expectations."

FMD. It's all to hard. And what happens? We take the easy way and it all goes in the household rubbish for landfill.

And anything that seriously shouldn't be going to landfill you put in a neighbour's bin up the road after everyone has gone to sleep for the night. As some bastard did in mine a week ago...but I don't blame them!

My local bunnings and officeworks take batteries. Officeworks also take mobile phones, computers and ink toners.

But I agree that our recycling is way too hard. In Japan one symbol meant that all the packaging could be recycled.

• 3 weeks later...

TTIM....electricity feed-in tariffs are too low. Last month I fed into the grid from my solar panels almost as much electricity as I drew from the grid. I receive a measly 5.2 cents per kWh for the feed-in, which AGL resells somewhere else at between 17 and 29 cents per kWh.

Daylight robbery (hahaha).

• 2 weeks later...

TTIM... Does any fuckwit from Metro HQ ever travel on a train? Do they ever hear those unintelligible messages over the train PA? Or see that the "Now arriving at...." display gets stuck on one station for the rest of the journey? What with the continual service disruptions we must run one of the worst public transport systems in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Gross over-use of the words "racist" and "racism." Now "fusion food" is "racist" and "colonialist" when I thought that it was just someone coming up with a nice recipe.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I'm personally hurt and offended be being generalised and included in group known as "white people." It's "proud Romano-British man" if you don't mind.

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Gross over-use of the words "racist" and "racism." Now "fusion food" is "racist" and "colonialist" when I thought that it was just someone coming up with a nice recipe.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I'm personally hurt and offended be being generalised and included in group known as "white people." It's "proud Romano-British man" if you don't mind.

Don't dish your heritage - you would also have Celt, Anglo, Saxon, Jute, Pict, Scandinavian (could be Swedish, Norwegian, or Dane), Frank, Scot, and even perhaps Hun (via the Roman/Frank).

• 2 months later...

TTIM... these so-called "enquiries" looking into allegations made against individuals, such allegations being repeated over and over again by the media. Current examples are Messrs Lehrmann and Clarkson. This is trial by media. Disgraceful.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM... these so-called "enquiries" looking into allegations made against individuals, such allegations being repeated over and over again by the media. Current examples are Messrs Lehrmann and Clarkson. This is trial by media. Disgraceful.

Two different things but I do get the point of repetition by the media.

The Hawthorn allegations are meant to be under mediation conducted by a senior KC but it has stalled. This leads me to think that I should never submit myself to anything like that - either they call me to court or they go away. A court case has a beginning and an end. Let the dice roll.

The Lerhmann case is more complicated and concerning. First the DPP was out of their depth; secondly the cops were biased. Third the juror that broke the law is not being punished (I am assuming that the ACT has laws covering juror behaviour). This has led me to change my mind on one fundamental aspect of the law - that cases involving high profile individuals or are of public significance should go straight to trial. After all the position of the DPP was created to ensure that there was a reasonable probability of obtaining a conviction thus reducing the loads on the courts and the police. So the DPP is a filter. The principle that everyone is to be treated the same by the law can be bent by saying that by fronting in the courts, the principle has not been violated. Why have I changed my mind? because this way there can be no political pressure on either the DPP or the police as it would go straight to court. It does not resolve biases or incompetence but I haven't figured a way to resolve that.

13 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Two different things but I do get the point of repetition by the media.

The Hawthorn allegations are meant to be under mediation conducted by a senior KC but it has stalled. This leads me to think that I should never submit myself to anything like that - either they call me to court or they go away. A court case has a beginning and an end. Let the dice roll.

The Lerhmann case is more complicated and concerning. First the DPP was out of their depth; secondly the cops were biased. Third the juror that broke the law is not being punished (I am assuming that the ACT has laws covering juror behaviour). This has led me to change my mind on one fundamental aspect of the law - that cases involving high profile individuals or are of public significance should go straight to trial. After all the position of the DPP was created to ensure that there was a reasonable probability of obtaining a conviction thus reducing the loads on the courts and the police. So the DPP is a filter. The principle that everyone is to be treated the same by the law can be bent by saying that by fronting in the courts, the principle has not been violated. Why have I changed my mind? because this way there can be no political pressure on either the DPP or the police as it would go straight to court. It does not resolve biases or incompetence but I haven't figured a way to resolve that.

@NewConvert I completely agree with you. And while the principle of "beyond reasonable doubt" remains firmly in place I cannot see anything wrong with what you put forward.

TTIM...FMD I thought Telehealth is supposed to take costs out of medical care. My doctors are charging $100 for a phone call simply to report back the results of a pathology test.
OK I know that there is a Medicare rebate but you have to have the money there to pay in the first place.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM...FMD I thought Telehealth is supposed to take costs out of medical care. My doctors are charging $100 for a phone call simply to report back the results of a pathology test.
OK I know that there is a Medicare rebate but you have to have the money there to pay in the first place.

It is ridiculous.

On 20/05/2023 at 11:05 AM, jw1739 said:

Really? My GP and specialists do not charge me a thing for letting me know the results over the phone. In person they charge the minimum amount on Medicare.