Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Tbf he probably is working harder than he ever has before

And ironically a vast number are working less than they ever have before. 

My personal TTIM, 1000 peice jigsaw puzzle. 

The handbrake ripped it out thinking it would be a good idea for everyone. 

Guess who the only Muppet thats spending hours determined to finish it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My personal TTIM: The hula hoop. While "she" can just sort of stand there hardly moving and the thing keeps going until she gets fed up with it - 15 minutes is the longest I've witnessed - for me I twitch frantically only for it to relentlessly obey the law of gravity within a few seconds.

Driving me crazy.

On 06/04/2020 at 9:55 AM, jw1739 said:

My personal TTIM: The hula hoop. While "she" can just sort of stand there hardly moving and the thing keeps going until she gets fed up with it - 15 minutes is the longest I've witnessed - for me I twitch frantically only for it to relentlessly obey the law of gravity within a few seconds.

Driving me crazy.

Aren’t you about 70 years too old for one of those?

On 07/04/2020 at 8:06 PM, Shahanga said:

Aren’t you about 70 years too old for one of those?

Actually it's helping me with exercise during the lock-down. And it's a relief from endless odd jobs of home maintenance and clearing out accumulated "stuff."

It's not as easy as those YouTube videos would have you believe.

TTIM: Whilst it's good news about increased testing in Victoria, State politicians trying to score points on their handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-14/victoria-expands-coronavirus-testing-criteria/12146166

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel Andrews has signed a contract with the Chinese government to fund road works, all workers will come from China to build it.

I never understood why people voted for him, I work in the construction industry and he is corrupt as, but this takes the cake, especially in the current environment.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM: Banks that issue statements that do not correspond to the halves of the EOFY - i.e. 31st December and 30th June each year.

This drives me insane.

Can also add to the list, banks that don't provide a summary statement of term deposits at 30 June.  SMSF auditors typically want to see some sort of confirmation from the bank about balances. If they don't get a FY summary then they want the rollover notice or redemption notice (which may only be generated 6+ months after EOFY).

3 hours ago, malloy said:

This drives me insane.

Can also add to the list, banks that don't provide a summary statement of term deposits at 30 June.  SMSF auditors typically want to see some sort of confirmation from the bank about balances. If they don't get a FY summary then they want the rollover notice or redemption notice (which may only be generated 6+ months after EOFY).

@malloy Pretty much my situation - running an SMSF. Just makes preparing the annual documentation so much more time consuming.

Edited by jw1739

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

The AFL can take all their staff and family to Queensland to escape the dictators home detention, crew from some shit tv show can do the same and famous actors as well; but if you want to go from a virus free zone to see dying family it’s too fucking bad.

We are in fact under a version of house arrest.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

The AFL can take all their staff and family to Queensland to escape the dictators home detention, crew from some shit tv show can do the same and famous actors as well; but if you want to go from a virus free zone to see dying family it’s too fucking bad.

You seem to have forgotten that NZ did allow on compassionate grounds two women the ability to go to a funeral (their father IIRC) and drove through the North Island whilst infected. Of course they were not aware that they were infected.

Can I presume that you are one of many Melbournians that want nail salons open because they are a necessity?

13 hours ago, NewConvert said:

You seem to have forgotten that NZ did allow on compassionate grounds two women the ability to go to a funeral (their father IIRC) and drove through the North Island whilst infected. Of course they were not aware that they were infected.

Can I presume that you are one of many Melbournians that want nail salons open because they are a necessity?

Honestly. Comparing a parents funeral toa nail salon? Mate draw a breath and consider what you typed.

16 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Even the words "Nail salon" seem to come from the 1930s. Make me think of an Agatha Christie whodunnit. I had always thought that someone  somewhere in government or the civil service had an interest in a "nail salon." I could never work out why podiatrists were closed but "nail salons" were open. Haven't these people heard of nail clippers?

Anyway, I think we need to get this all into perspective. The situation in Melbourne is difficult, I agree, but spare a thought for people in other countries such as the U.S., the U.K., Brazil, Spain, Italy, France - the list is virtually endless. I think that they are suffering much more than we are overall. And probably even more so in countries that we don't hear about - such as on the African continent. And then let's not forget the millions of refugees all over the world, and the children born in make-shift camps that have never known any other life - and some of these refugees are there because of the foreign policy of powers that we, Australia, support. Those people in Victoria cooped-up in their apartment, missing a hug, or their morning latte, or their one-year-old's birthday party - really, get a grip.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

A few points for @jw1739 and @NewConvert. Interested in your thoughts on them. 

Countries like France, Spain and Italy are going through their second wave now. It's bigger than the first wave. Deaths are almost  negligible though during the second wave. 

Secondly, the number of people dying is minimal in Victoria. Majority are those are already with conditions that made them more vulnerable. No one dying is good. But death is inevitable. People will die for one reason or another.  

Thirdly, is the destroying of our economy, people's livelihoods and people's lives worth sacrificing for this? Bare in mind it's proven with a multitude of countries that keeping active cases down is near impossible. In all likelihood it will not be achieved. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, n i k o said:

A few points for @jw1739 and @NewConvert. Interested in your thoughts on them. 

Countries like France, Spain and Italy are going through their second wave now. It's bigger than the first wave. Deaths are almost  negligible though during the second wave. 

Secondly, the number of people dying is minimal in Victoria. Majority are those are already with conditions that made them more vulnerable. No one dying is good. But death is inevitable. People will die for one reason or another.  

Thirdly, is the destroying of our economy, people's livelihoods and people's lives worth sacrificing for this? Bare in mind it's proven with a multitude of countries that keeping active cases down is near impossible. In all likelihood it will not be achieved. 

What is informing my thinking:

1. The virus is like terrorists. It only has to get lucky once with a super spreader that is asymptomatic for it to spread once again. Society on the other hand has to get lucky 100% of the time. The latest outbreak was from a family of four in quarantine who most likely passed it on through surface contact to  hotel management and somehow got to the security guard who chose not to self isolate, and there is your super spreader (as per what the inquiry has been told).

2. When I was still studying I was involved in a project that took me to the old Prince Henry's road trauma unit. At the time the annual road toll was about 600 deaths per year. But what shocked me was that every year between 8 and 12 thousand people would be left with permanent disability. The suicide rate amongst tradies who lost partial use of their active arm (right handed/left handed) was staggering (back then we could use words like suicide and not talk in euphemisms). Which brings me to the COVID-19. We know from overseas experience that some children experience something like Kawasaki disease which left untreated  is a painful debilitating condition for children. We also know that people who do recover may be affected for a prolonged period of time both health and financial wise. Given that humanities experience with COVID-19 is rather limited, I would rather take a cautious approach thinking that the consequences for people under the age of 60 can be grave and prolonged.

3. History is replete with pandemics. The social and economic consequences are brutal: from extinction through to revolutions. And the world is in a pandemic but as a society we are handling it a whole lot better than in the past. Should we have done better? ABSOLUTELY. But society made a decision not to.

4. To re-iterate an earlier post: History teaches us that new diseases kills off the elderly, the sickly and the infants (so far two out of three). Subsequent waves kill off the survivors over a few decades. Immunity is developed over generations unless a vaccine is produced but that was a 20th century thing. And for some things we have never developed natural immunity: smallpox, syphilis, etc. The idea that humanity will develop natural immunity to COVID-19 is unproven.

And now to your specifics:

1. Yes Western Europe is having a massive resurgence specially amongst the under 60s and their daily toll is substantially lower than in April. Refer to my points above. But what I like about your statement is that it echoes Stalin's quote "One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."

2. I agree with this statement as a generic. Otherwise refer to my points above.

3. If you could guarantee that the only effects are the deaths of the elderly and sickly and we are comfortable sitting at the table with Stalin and Mao then the statement about sacrificing people for the sake of the economy , then I guess it could be possible. However my point 2 would caution this because if the health toll of under 60s begins to rise (we will have Europe as an experimental lab) then that means the cost of treating people over a prolonged period of time we will be hit with a double whammy: health budget and reduced economic activity.

This is not to say that I am not concerned about the local costs to my local businesses that I frequent. I can't see how we are going to get back to where we were in January 2019. The lack of international travel will doom multitudes of hotels, tourism and businesses that cater for this. To give you an example about three weeks ago we commissioned an infrastructure system in NZ remotely from our homes. Normally a team of people would be sent over to do the installation, testing and hand over with a reduced team staying back for an extra few days for support. The costs include airfares, car hire, hotel accommodation, cafes/restaurants/take away, etc. Those businesses lost our custom. Instead we engaged a local company provided some resources as well as the customer (who are gold). We are gearing up to the same later next month with another customer. And corporate management has noticed. The world has changed and this means that many businesses will close as a result of this shift.

Could this have been handled better? Yes. Kevin Rudd had instigated a pandemic action plan which was cut by Gillard and never resuscitated by the Coalition. Most likely this was done as part of budget cutting - after all we have become accustomed to thinking that all taxation is theft by lazy fat cats in the public service when it could be done better and cheaper by the private sector. Nature is showing us what a stupid shallow concept that is. Here in Victoria we are out of step with the rest of the country, why? and now we learn that the pandemic plan was ditched by the DHHS at the first attempt to be used. Why? Did they not have confidence in Sutton? or was it that it was such a crap plan that it was never going to work? Although in the latter case how would they have known that it was crap without testing it?

But society also has to come to terms with the way we deal with end of life. The aged care sector was just a transfer of money to the pockets of the few. Why do we expect to have expensive medical treatment when our days are done? I can say that because of a rare medical illness all it means that I can misbehave once and gently go in my sleep.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

TTIM: Getting a refund of the unused money on an expiring Myki card when you don't want to have a replacement card - e.g. when someone dies. What a fucking complicated procedure for a few dollars. Public Transport needs to make it quick and simple.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HeartFc said:

If its lower back, glute stretches.

Saved my life.

I've been doing some stretches, just have to try and keep myself moving.

My job usually invovles a lot of moving around, but because of the lockdown I've become more sedenary working from home. Just killing my back unfortuantly

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

My job usually invovles a lot of moving around, but because of the lockdown I've become more sedenary working from home. Just killing my back unfortuantly

Yep, thats what did it for me. Lack of movement made my muscles tight and weak. Glutes and hip flexors tilted my hips which pinched my sciatic nerve. 

Went to Chirco who did nothing but try and grift me over 10 session, saying my spine was degenerated. Went to Physio instead, he laughed at that and found my issue in literally 15 seconds. Had 2 sessions and a daily stretch plan given to me, worked wonders. 

Set yourself a 1 hour alarm and force yourself to do 5 laps of the back yard and stretch. Good luck with it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Yep, thats what did it for me. Lack of movement made my muscles tight and weak. Glutes and hip flexors tilted my hips which pinched my sciatic nerve. 

Went to Chirco who did nothing but try and grift me over 10 session, saying my spine was degenerated. Went to Physio instead, he laughed at that and found my issue in literally 15 seconds. Had 2 sessions and a daily stretch plan given to me, worked wonders. 

Set yourself a 1 hour alarm and force yourself to do 5 laps of the back yard and stretch. Good luck with it.

After 25 minutes at the computer, 5 minutes walking. Absolutely have to do it, even in the regular office environment. It's modern life unfortunately. Walking and cycling were much more a part of life in days past.

Yeah, desk sitting is a fkn killer to not only your back but your mental health. Its like sitting in traffic, drives me nuts and I can feel my soul dying. 

Its the main reason I moved from Melbourne. Desk job. Never again. 1+ hour commute to work. Never again. Not saying its doom and gloom for everyone, its just not for me anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2020 at 8:30 PM, kingofhearts said:

Strengthening your core might help as well - or at least doing enough to activate the muscles (as well as your glutes). I developed an issue with my SI Joint from garbage office chairs and that was always the recommendation from the Physio/Myo I saw to get it treated. 

On 07/10/2020 at 10:12 PM, HeartFc said:

Also, TTIM: Chiropractors. Had a very similar experience to this. 

• Like 2

I've learned to be very wary of physios too. I had to have total knee replacements in both legs, 2015 and 2016 I think it was. With the experience of the first operation, for the second I managed my own pre-operative and post-operative physiotherapy, including improvising on any equipment I needed, and the knee is (almost) as good as new. With the first, my self-managed pre-op was fine but a month into the post-op the physio pushed me too hard, damaged something inside the knee, I lost all the progress I'd made and I'm left with a knee that is serviceable but weak compared to the other.

The lesson? Do it yourself. Learn from other people who have the same problem, download standard exercises from the www, build your regime slowly and don't push yourself too hard too quickly. It's a better outcome, you don't waste time going to the physio, and it's a damned sight cheaper.

Edited by jw1739

Very quickly: I have no problem with the Cartier watches. Senior business executives have high salaries. If those 4 execs really were high performing then the cost to Australia Post of replacing even one of them would be considerable (much higher than the 4 watches cost). The Board sets the culture and delegation authority of the CEO. If the execs deserved it and the CEO is good at her job, no problem for me. 

If the Government believe that is not appropriate then they should be speaking to the Board about the culture of the organisation they head and what is appropriate. 

It may look bad from the outside, and play badly with the public, but I can't believe the party of business (the Liberals) have got the knickers in a knot.

Personally, i think the $30m for $3m worth of land in Western Sydney is a much bigger deal - particularly given it was bought off a Liberal donor.     

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

Very quickly: I have no problem with the Cartier watches. Senior business executives have high salaries. If those 4 execs really were high performing then the cost to Australia Post of replacing even one of them would be considerable (much higher than the 4 watches cost). The Board sets the culture and delegation authority of the CEO. If the execs deserved it and the CEO is good at her job, no problem for me. 

If the Government believe that is not appropriate then they should be speaking to the Board about the culture of the organisation they head and what is appropriate. 

It may look bad from the outside, and play badly with the public, but I can't believe the party of business (the Liberals) have got the knickers in a knot.

Personally, i think the $30m for $3m worth of land in Western Sydney is a much bigger deal - particularly given it was bought off a Liberal donor.     

The issue is as much about transparency and example as it is about the amounts involved. For me the fact that the CEO of Australia Post couldn't say how the watches were paid for, and lied about having Board approval, are far more important than the $20,000.

We have to remember that ordinary workers get fired for borrowing from the office petty cash box.

FMD, these senior people are already on astronomic salaries - they get more in a year than many people have in superannuation after a lifetime of work.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

The issue is as much about transparency and example as it is about the amounts involved. For me the fact that the CEO of Australia Post couldn't say how the watches were paid for, and lied about having Board approval, are far more important than the $20,000.

We have to remember that ordinary workers get fired for borrowing from the office petty cash box.

FMD, these senior people are already on astronomic salaries - they get more in a year than many people have in superannuation after a lifetime of work.

Lets not forget that a royal commission recently highlighted "remuneration" based on performance KPIs measured in monetary terms was pointed out as being a factor in encouraging immoral and illegal behaviour. 

Granted these weren't part of an agreed remuneration package, but the message/effect to other employees is still somewhat the same.