Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

7 minutes ago, haz said:

I guess thats a good point. There must be a reason why no sports have entered TAS, but if done correctly you have a whole (tiny) state backing a team.

Apparently the North/South thing is pretty big in Tassie : the Northerners hate the Southerners and vice-versa and wouldnt support a team based in the other. You could split home games between Hobart and Launceston to try to alleviate that, but tbh i don't reckon that shared city teams are ever a good idea in professional sport. FWIW about 220,000 live in Hobart, and i think about 450,000 total.
Also worth noting they'd be competing with Hobart Hurricanes in the summer.

21 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Apparently the North/South thing is pretty big in Tassie : the Northerners hate the Southerners and vice-versa and wouldnt support a team based in the other. You could split home games between Hobart and Launceston to try to alleviate that, but tbh i don't reckon that shared city teams are ever a good idea in professional sport. FWIW about 220,000 live in Hobart, and i think about 450,000 total.
Also worth noting they'd be competing with Hobart Hurricanes in the summer.

Confirm N/S antipathy. Tasmania 515,000. Greater Hobart 220,000, Greater Launceston 107,000.

Lived Hobart nearly 15 years. Attendances at local football matches were woeful. Take away the WAGs and there were more people on the pitch than in the stands.

Forget it.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

If the bid is relying on government backing for anything other than building a stadium, it shouldnt even be considered tbh.

Errr, I seem to recall that the reason the A-League exist is because the Federal Government commissioned a report and then provided seed money to get the comp off the ground. Then there was the World Cup bid where the Feds kicked in $42M. I don't recall anyone complaining about that...

On 29/06/2018 at 4:49 PM, haz said:

I guess thats a good point. There must be a reason why no sports have entered TAS, but if done correctly you have a whole (tiny) state backing a team.

The main problem seems to be 200km between the 2 main population centres and the Hobart/Launceston rivalry. It'd take supreme dedication to do a 5 hour round trip to watch an A-League match on a fortnightly basis. And with Hobart only having a population of 200,000 you'd really need to get a decent percentage of support in what is an AFL dominated state.

2 hours ago, haz said:

TTIM: What a dog act for a whole team to jump and stomp a guy when he's on the ground

(2:05)

A few observations:

1. None of them can fight

2. Why is it that security are trying to fend us, whilst retreating, and let the phillipines players continue to advance

3. Dog acts all through out the fight; attacking players from behind, attacking players on the ground.

4. Based on how quickly it turned to pandamonium, the Phillipines were somewhat itching for it.

8 hours ago, malloy said:

A few observations:

1. None of them can fight

2. Why is it that security are trying to fend us, whilst retreating, and let the phillipines players continue to advance

3. Dog acts all through out the fight; attacking players from behind, attacking players on the ground.

4. Based on how quickly it turned to pandamonium, the Phillipines were somewhat itching for it.

Bunch of handbags. Neymar would fit in well.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Bunch of handbags. Neymar would fit in well.

Most of it yes, but stomping Goulding whilst on ground defenceless is a dog act, furthermore with the way security acted it wouldn't have taken much more for it to turn very serious quickly.

TTIM - the amount of fuckheads backing Lucy zelic retarded pronunciation is doing my fucking head in, what's worse is, it's not just for sport, she even does it on her instagram. Massive fuckwit 

Also the circle jerk over Rioli retiring, HE WASN'T THAT FUCKING GOOD, only kicked 40+ in 2 seasons and has been completely irrelevant in the last 2, fuck off peasant 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrillhouse said:

TTIM - the amount of fuckheads backing Lucy zelic retarded pronunciation is doing my fucking head in, what's worse is, it's not just for sport, she even does it on her instagram. Massive fuckwit 

Also the circle jerk over Rioli retiring, HE WASN'T THAT FUCKING GOOD, only kicked 40+ in 2 seasons and has been completely irrelevant in the last 2, fuck off peasant 

I'm afraid it's all this instant media shit that characterises today's society. Opinion prevails over actual news. 

5 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

You should hear me try and pronounce German names, I wish I had people cheering me on

TTIM: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-06/boys-only-scholarship-furore/9948458

Fmd, the amount of woman only scholarships at uni (especially in engineering is absurd). Why the fuck are they complaining about a 'boys' only one. There were 3 girls in my engineering degree, and all 3 had 'woman' only scholarships, my grades were better then all of them. What do I get? Null

Edited by haz

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Sometimes I think that the world has been too forgiving of the people who authorised, permitted or perpetrated these monstrous crimes. And others like them.

I don't think that the world has been too forgiving - it was political expediency at the time. No matter how disgusting, Unit 731 did research that the USA wanted for all sorts of reasons (including benign medical research) hence their immunity. I don't think that the Chinese people would ever forgive them and nor should anyone else. However there is a brain cell that keeps reminding me that I am a beneficiary (through medicine) of their brutality.

As an aside I recall reading that the Japanese Emperor's younger brother was so horrified by Unit 731's methods that he tried to shut it down, prompting the Emperor to hold him under house arrest until McArthur released him.

TTIM: The "I'm a sickcunt and richer than you" flogs at clubs such as Alumbra, Fashion, CQ. 

19 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

The two are very different ends of the spectrum. Agree they both suck though. Shocked rats is still a thing given the amount of better clubs I've seen come and go. 

All about Levelssssss

Edited by Baka1
Would still beat the fuck outta them

10 hours ago, haz said:

Get that ASMR into my veins!

You sicken me. 

6 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Anything by Phil Collins sens me into deep sleep. And sometimes you need that kind of deep, near comatose, sleep.

Fair enough I guess. Don't get why people do it when a bunch of other people are in the same room though. That's just rude.

On 8/15/2018 at 0:00 AM, GreenSeater said:

TTIM: People who listen to music in order to fall asleep. Fucking savages.

Yeah, they should podcasts - If they really wanna sleep a Historic Podcasts are the way to go..

Like for example: One explaining in fine detail the Economic Conditions of France prior to Revolution, that one should do the trick.

8 hours ago, cadete said:

TTIM: Bring on bloody Spring...

I actually hate it when its hot but this Winter has been as cold as fuck and Geelong are as inconsistent and shit as City these days, its time for the Carnival.

Really? I work at the Docklands and I don't think the winds have been as cold as last year. As for Geelong, well you are right.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 10:47 PM, NewConvert said:

Really? I work at the Docklands and I don't think the winds have been as cold as last year. As for Geelong, well you are right.

I live and work in East Melbourne where its also Windy (Not as bad as Docklands of course) and its been way worse this winter... to the point that if I put on Channel Seven and hear that type of wind outside my house I can actually transport myself to when I lived in East Fremantle in 2003.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, cadete said:

I live and work in East Melbourne where its also Windy (Not as bad as Docklands of course) and its been way worse this winter... to the point that if I put on Channel Seven and hear that type of wind outside my house I can actually transport myself to when I lived in East Fremantle in 2003.

Bloody windy down here in Bayside. Certainly the worst in recent years.

• Like 1

Some good front runners at Caulfield on Saturday also had a hell of a time with the wind... This is a something you usually only see in Melbourne at Flemington due to its size, long straight and location. There was also an Eight Goal Wind going one way at Williamstown - usually its a Four Goal Wind.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1