Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

14 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Tbh if today taught us anything it's just how professionally trained our cops are. Massive kudos to vicpol from everything of it I've seen 

Incredible self-control from the those two officers he was trying to slash. If I'd been in that situation, had a gun and knew how to use a gun I would have shot the bastard immediately and kept shooting until I'd run out of ammunition.

Edited by jw1739

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Incredible self-control from the those two officers he was trying to slash. If I'd been in that situation, had a gun and knew how to use a gun I would have shot the bastard immediately and kept shooting until I'd run out of ammunition.

Let's be honest he deserved to be killed straight away. Bring back capital punishment.

TTIM: The GoFundMe raising $100k and counting for trolley man to do "whatever he deems necessary" to get his life back on track. If you're living on the streets you obviously haven't managed your life particularly well. Waiting for the inevitable negative news stories to come out about his past once the publics interest in him begins to die off.

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

TTIM: The GoFundMe raising $100k and counting for trolley man to do "whatever he deems necessary" to get his life back on track. If you're living on the streets you obviously haven't managed your life particularly well. Waiting for the inevitable negative news stories to come out about his past once the publics interest in him begins to die off.

Not a negative news story per se, but:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/feted-as-hero-after-life-of-crime-trolley-man-just-wanted-to-do-something-right-20181111-p50fef.html

11 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Jeez I need to pay off uni.

Anyone want to wave a knife around in the street so I can throw a hot dog or something at you so I can get paid $100k?

On 11/10/2018 at 2:01 PM, n i k o said:

Let's be honest he deserved to be killed straight away. Bring back capital punishment.

Why?

Then he gets what he wants, rather than going insane sitting a closely monitored cube in between being taken to the showers as the guards look the other way and he is repeatedly raped. Then after that he would go back to the cube and make constant futile attempt after futile attempt to take his own life.

I wished he lived TBH to the ripe age of 95...

Edited by cadete

34 minutes ago, cadete said:

Why?

Then he gets what he wants, rather than going insane sitting a closely monitored cube in between being taken to the showers as the guards look the other way and he is repeatedly raped. Then after that he would go back to the cube and make constant futile attempt after futile attempt to take his own life.

Whilst I'd like him to suffer as much as you I'd rather not one dollar of tax payers money should be used to keep someone like this alive. Fuck em off. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

Whilst I'd like him to suffer as much as you I'd rather not one dollar of tax payers money should be used to keep someone like this alive. Fuck em off. 

Random Officer: 'Whoops my gun discharged into his knee cap, whoops my gun discharged again into his other knee cap. Oh dang, seems the ambulance is delayed for a few hours'

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

100% agree. In the grand scheme of things if we just executed the lowest of the low (murderers, series rapists and pedo's) we'd end up with hundreds of millions of dollars within 10 years. That money can he spent in the form of a tax cut (I wish) for the people who work their assholes off every day. I couldn't give the slightest fuck as to why people commit horrible crimes. I'm almost semi in favour of eugenics in terms of not giving the worst people on the planet a chance to breed. Why in the last 60 years we decided to give rights to those who took away the most basic rights of others ill never know. Goes against the very fabric and nature of the universe. 

9 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

100% agree. In the grand scheme of things if we just executed the lowest of the low (murderers, series rapists and pedo's) we'd end up with hundreds of millions of dollars within 10 years. That money can he spent in the form of a tax cut (I wish) for the people who work their assholes off every day. I couldn't give the slightest fuck as to why people commit horrible crimes. I'm almost semi in favour of eugenics in terms of not giving the worst people on the planet a chance to breed. Why in the last 60 years we decided to give rights to those who took away the most basic rights of others ill never know. Goes against the very fabric and nature of the universe. 

IMO anyone who commits murder, torture, and certain other despicable acts forfeits any rights or entitlements that they might otherwise be granted by society, and it is, in the end, in the best interests of everyone that they no longer live. It's not as if we're going to commit executions on a whim - due legal process will always be followed (even though in some cases IMO the perpetrator does not even deserve that). I also think that certain legal defences should be disallowed.

11 hours ago, cadete said:

Why?

I agree with your general sentiment, but I also think you've been watching too many US prison shows.

On 11/13/2018 at 10:43 PM, Tesla said:

I agree with your general sentiment, but I also think you've been watching too many US prison shows.

My point is at the very least being stuck in a cube rather than getting his virgins... is not what he wants.

Anyway when some raises "tax payers money"... I usually cant be bothered persisting with a conversation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cadete said:

My point is at the very least being stuck in a cube rather than getting his virgins... is not what he wants.

Anyway when some raises "tax payers money"... I usually cant be bothered persisting with a conversation.

How much of 'tax payers' money' does it cost to house someone in high-security prison? Whenever I hear this argument I always think the yearly cost would only be like 0.00000001% of 'tax money' spent. Im sure there are other things that are actually a much bigger waste of money.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:33 PM, HeartFc said:

I have thought for a long time that anyone between the ages of 16 and 40 whose minimum sentence is greater than five years should be given the option of sterilisation for an 18 month discount.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM: It takes far too long to count the votes in our elections and declare the results. For example, Sandringham still shows exactly the same information as was posted 24 hours ago.

Easily solved with electronic voting.

So us Men cop shit for "manspreading", howevwe I have never seen women cop heat for sitting with crossed legs taking up more room than "manspreading"

Additionally, I am certain if I took a photo and put it on social media like people do to shame "manspreaders" then I would be the one copping heat for being sexist by those who would gladly rip into men for "manspreading".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baka1 said:

TTIM: The long waiting times in public hospitals.

Just last week, took my dad to the ER for a 2 week long migraine and extremely high blood pressure and ended up waiting 20 hours just waiting for a room, then waiting for scan results. It's fucked in the face. 

17 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Just last week, took my dad to the ER for a 2 week long migraine and extremely high blood pressure and ended up waiting 20 hours just waiting for a room, then waiting for scan results. It's fucked in the face. 

Sounds like you went to the Northern 

TTIM: Dual electrical wall sockets where you can't actually plug in two appliances at the same time because either the switches are in the wrong place or the appliance plugs are asymmetrical. Worst offenders are modern versions where the switch is directly above the socket.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM: Dual electrical wall sockets where you can't actually plug in two appliances at the same time because either the switches are in the wrong place or the appliance plugs are asymmetrical. Worst offenders are modern versions where the switch is directly above the socket.

Just to add to that, horizontally designed chargers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

At my office in Germany the sockets are placed opposite diagonal. In edition to that, German socket types have no ground pin meaning that they can be place upside down.

• 2 weeks later...

TTIM: Something that has pissed off for years that probably barely few of you will get.. is Lonhro being unable to run well at the Valley.

Beats Stablemate Viscount like a Absolute Champion in the Guineas the week before the Cox Plate. Then Viscount as a Three Year Old in the Cox Plate had Sunline beaten and should have almost been given dead heat honors with the winner Northerly.

Next year Lonhro beats Sunline in the Caulfield Stakes on Guineas Day, so his done Sunline so he should do her again two weeks later and if he is good enough beat Northerly as well for best in the land. Now I knew Northerly was the best in his time (It was fairly obvious) and I backed him when he won this second Cox Plate (After a Caulfield Cup as well). 

However, Lonhro ran an awful race and I think finished Third.. next year Sunline is gone and Northerly is gone and its only Lonhro and he wins easily fortnight after fortnight... come the Cox Plate he is such a hot favorite he is at under the odds yet still he puts in another bloody poor performance in the Cox Plate being a back-runner never helping his cause.

The next Autumn in his last campaign as a Racehorse and he pulls of a performance when blocked for a run three times to win the Australian Cup to be hailed a True Champion. Nobody loved that little Black Horse than me and thought he thinks he was a Champion more than me and I lead the chorus.

But my point is that STILL... TTIM: any dick can also say "He never won a Cox Plate - A Champion should win a Cox Plate". and I have to admit they have a point.

Edited by cadete

• 4 weeks later...

People who persist about protecting Western Values...

What are "Western Values" because the Values of 2000 or 1950 and completely different to the values of the West in 1900 or 1800 not to mention 1700, 1600 or 1500.

Some PPL try to draw a line from Western Values of the past 100 years back to Ancient Greece's version of democracy. However, since then around 800 - Western Values were Islamic Values. Whilst Western Values in 1300 AD were still that Christianity defined people's lives and that Kings were descended from God and 99% of people in Western Europe did and should not have right to own land.

The world constantly changes and therefore so do its different region's Values, whether it be due to advancement in technology, or because of Climate (In 300 AD most fertile land was the Middle East whilst some of most fertile places now inhabitable ), then there of course there is conquest. Of course history has shown sometimes religion or philosophy can come from nowhere to alter elements of societies values in a matter of a century like Christianity or Islam or decades in the case of Communism.

Of course another key factor I cannot deny is Migration and I know someone could say that the prevention of Migration of certain PPL to a place like a Australian could maintain these so called "Western Values" but these days the same effects that migration had on societies in the past are still felt by Globalization which can not be prevented unless you want to live in a place like North Korea.

Also its no surprise that the "Western Values" in place like Australia are are in my opinion "changing" or in other people's "eroding" and its not too do with people migrating from Australia with different Cultural Backgrounds. It because of the Victorian Values that founded Australia are philosophically deeply rooted in Christianity and as Christianity becomes less and less relevant for most Australians its no surprise that Australian's Values are changing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cadete said:

People who persist about protecting Western Values...

What are "Western Values" because the Values of 2000 or 1950 and completely different to the values of the West in 1900 or 1800 not to mention 1700, 1600 or 1500.

Some PPL try to draw a line from Western Values of the past 100 years back to Ancient Greece's version of democracy. However, since then around 800 - Western Values were Islamic Values. Whilst Western Values in 1300 AD were still that Christianity defined people's lives and that Kings were descended from God and 99% of people in Western Europe did and should not have right to own land.

The world constantly changes and therefore so do its different region's Values, whether it be due to advancement in technology, or because of Climate (In 300 AD most fertile land was the Middle East whilst some of most fertile places now inhabitable ), then there of course there is conquest. Of course history has shown sometimes religion or philosophy can come from nowhere to alter elements of societies values in a matter of a century like Christianity or Islam or decades in the case of Communism.

Of course another key factor I cannot deny is Migration and I know someone could say that the prevention of Migration of certain PPL to a place like a Australian could maintain these so called "Western Values" but these days the same effects that migration had on societies in the past are still felt by Globalization which can not be prevented unless you want to live in a place like North Korea.

Also its no surprise that the "Western Values" in place like Australia are are in my opinion "changing" or in other people's "eroding" and its not too do with people migrating from Australia with different Cultural Backgrounds. It because of the Victorian Values that founded Australia are philosophically deeply rooted in Christianity and as Christianity becomes less and less relevant for most Australians its no surprise that Australian's Values are changing.

Tbh i think the defence of 'western values' that people are preaching is really just a defence of the sovereignty of the individual rather than this collectivist mentality that is starting to creep back in again. Westerners (generally) dont want to slip into the way of life prominent in the Islamic countries, or that ruled the communist countries of the 20th century.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i think the defence of 'western values' that people are preaching is really just a defence of the sovereignty of the individual rather than this collectivist mentality that is starting to creep back in again. Westerners (generally) dont want to slip into the way of life prominent in the Islamic countries, or that ruled the communist countries of the 20th century.

What is this collectivist mentality you speak of?

The Greens Party is all I can think of as the most prominent Group it in Australian Society preaching such a message and as the Party has become more prominent and People have been able to observe it for what it is (Particularity its collectivist ideas once hidden behind environmental concerns) the whole Party has predictably began to quickly fallen apart.

The Chinese Population sits at 4% in Australian, but they hardly importing Communism with them being big advocates for Consumer Culture and Capitalism and 65% of Chinese Voters actually vote for the Coalition. In fact polls also show that they actually dont care about the issues which Conservative MP's feel are an attack on "Western Values" like Asylum Seekers, Same Sex Marriage and Climate Change.

Australia's Muslim population sits at 2% and Radical Islam is hardly converting people and the large bulk of Refugees let into Australian are Christians from the Middle East and not Muslim.

I think the wish to stop the emergence of new values and thoughts to try do the unpreventable of stalling the change of Society's values is more of a attack on Liberty myself TBH.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, cadete said:

What is this collectivist mentality you speak of?

The Greens Party is all I can think of as the most prominent Group it in Australian Society preaching such a message and as the Party has become more prominent and People have been able to observe it for what it is (Particularity its collectivist ideas once hidden behind environmental concerns) the whole Party has predictably began to quickly fallen apart.

The Chinese Population sits at 4% in Australian, but they hardly importing Communism with them being big advocates for Consumer Culture and Capitalism and 65% of Chinese Voters actually vote for the Coalition. In fact polls also show that they actually dont care about the issues which Conservative MP's feel are an attack on "Western Values" like Asylum Seekers, Same Sex Marriage and Climate Change.

Australia's Muslim population sits at 2% and Radical Islam is hardly converting people and the large bulk of Refugees let into Australian are Christians from the Middle East and not Muslim.

I think the wish to stop the emergence of new values and thoughts to try do the unpreventable of stalling the change of Society's values is more of a attack on Liberty myself TBH.

Tbh i dont think any of those three issues are particularly related to attacks on 'western values'. The issues that are more relevant are immigration and to some degree, the rise of identity politics. Immigration is only relevant purely on the imported ideologies that may be collectivist based, or totalitarian. I reckon youre spot on re the converting of radical islam, but people view the worry as the imported radicals.
IMO the populist thinkers dont care about your skin colour, they care about your beliefs.

Identity politics is the real one, and the numbers might not actually bear out in the general populations, but it sure as hell consumes the media and makes the far left and their ideology seem far more prominent than they perhaps are. Still, the media rhetoric seems indicate that its ok to be far left, but awful to be far right, when it reality, they're both as despicable and murderous as each other.

Ultimately i think most people would somewhat agree with the last statement you make there; they just dont want it to happen at the expense of individual sovereignty.

28 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i dont think any of those three issues are particularly related to attacks on 'western values'. The issues that are more relevant are immigration and to some degree, the rise of identity politics. Immigration is only relevant purely on the imported ideologies that may be collectivist based, or totalitarian. I reckon youre spot on re the converting of radical islam, but people view the worry as the imported radicals.
IMO the populist thinkers dont care about your skin colour, they care about your beliefs.

Identity politics is the real one, and the numbers might not actually bear out in the general populations, but it sure as hell consumes the media and makes the far left and their ideology seem far more prominent than they perhaps are. Still, the media rhetoric seems indicate that its ok to be far left, but awful to be far right, when it reality, they're both as despicable and murderous as each other.

Ultimately i think most people would somewhat agree with the last statement you make there; they just dont want it to happen at the expense of individual sovereignty.

I agree with your point on certain people accepting things from very left leaning media outlets, yet make stupid statements when elements of the more conservative media say things no even near as bias.

In saying that I dont think its just the media... its very abundant that the Conservative part of the Liberal Party is very out of touch with Modern Australia and I think a major reason for this is that they have become too insular stuck trying to maintain the past rather than appeal to electorate.

Its like how the US the Democrats on the other hand have the other problem of being so annoyed by Trump that they have become so insular that they attempting to force change and thus to progressive for their electorate. In both cases each party in needs to try be elected, which means becoming more relevant to the people.

But my point I feel still remain that "Western Values" have been changing since the dawn of time so trying to prevent a societies "Values" from changing in a futile cause. 

This is evident from trying to provide a definition of what "The West" itself is and what "Western Values" even are as the values from all Societies including Western European have made massive deviations since the dawn of time.