Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Having spent many years of my life in the top end and Kimberley I know what you’re talking about re Aboriginal poverty. It’s all too real and the actual levels have to be seen to be believed. 

The only people who have easy solutions though are the ones who don’t know anything about it.

the main problem I have with positive discrimination for aboriginals is thst there is nothing stopping some middle class person in suburbia who considers themselves aboriginal claiming it. It needs to be reserved for the people who actually need the help. Thst happens I’m happy.

@Shahanga So do you think that there should be a formal definition of "aboriginality?" I must say that in terms of formal recognition (for the purposes of positive discrimination) that IMO there should be, but of course anyone is entitled to think that they are if that's what they want to do.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Shahanga So do you think that there should be a formal definition of "aboriginality?" I must say that in terms of formal recognition (for the purposes of positive discrimination) that IMO there should be, but of course anyone is entitled to think that they are if that's what they want to do.

No not really worried about identification, am thinking more that there needs to be a strong link to the disadvantage part of the equation not their blood line. That could be something as simple as a post code perhaps. 

What really worries me about this is that boffins  congratulate themselves they’ve achieved something but in truth they’ve haven’t helped the people the programme was designed for.

Look like @bt50 indicated it’s not easy to “fix” and generally the only people I’ve seen with easy and quick solutions didn’t have a clue about the actual situation.

15 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Racism or not, it's quite clearly a ridiculous double standard.

I don't think its fair to label Dutton racist based on the comments, but i agree with you that its a discriminatory statement.
The South Africa thing is obviously resonating closer to home here as its an English speaking country that is having 'people like us' being raped and murdered based purely on skin colour. It scares us more because it doesnt seem as far removed as the 'brown people in the middle east that prey 5 times a day and live nothing like us.' It's why when atrocities are committed in Western countries they are well publicised, but not so much when its countries with clear cultural differences.

But to be fair the same thing is happening to Kurds in Turkey and Syria, the Coptic Christians in Egypt and Jews in the Middle East. It's definitely a double standard and not one that we should be basing our refugee allocations on.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

Much like the "positive discrimination" discussion on aboriginal issues above, why cannot we at least have the discussion on helping various groups of people, whether white, brown, black, brindle etc. without this "racism" taunt being hurled every time it just happens to be people "like us" who may need the help? No, we can't take on the responsibility of solving all the world's problems, but surely our immigration policies can be inclusive?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TTIM: The media beat up of Steve smith and the Australian cricket team.

I think everyone can agree that yes that they have done the wrong thing but suggestions saying that Smith's career 'is over' and that their is a possibility of a 'life time ban' are just ludicrous.

Considering that South Africans test captain has been done for ball tampering TWICE and is still playing suggests that everyone needs to chill the fuck out and relax. 

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

I think everyone can agree that yes that they have done the wrong thing but suggestions saying that Smith's career 'is over' and that their is a possibility of a 'life time ban' are just ludicrous.

Considering that South Africans test captain has been done for ball tampering TWICE and is still playing suggests that everyone needs to chill the fuck out and relax. 

I just find it hilarious that once again football is the least tarnished sport in the country. Imagine if we had a competent FFA!

11 hours ago, haz said:

I just find it hilarious that once again football is the least tarnished sport in the country. Imagine if we had a competent FFA!

Maybe Smith should apply some A-League Ultras Mentality to his defense... using lines like "Committing a Crime is a Not a Crime" Defense or "Its Cricket Australia's fault for everything... they have ruined the sport ".

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I grew up loving cricket and idolising some of the players that I watched. But I lost interest in it years ago when all the sledging started. 

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I grew up loving cricket and idolising some of the players that I watched. But I lost interest in it years ago when all the sledging started. 

Been happening since the game started. You lost interest when the media started reporting about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

My favorite part of Cricket is the sledge but there is pretty basic line you dont cross... partners, children and close family being a major one.

Probably the reason why my interest really dropped away when Warney retired.

6 hours ago, cadete said:

My favorite part of Cricket is the sledge but there is pretty basic line you dont cross... partners, children and close family being a major one.

Probably the reason why my interest really dropped away when Warney retired.

Never played cricket before, but started to play indoor cricket. Was playing Mens and ofcourse everyone were cricket players in their off season. FMD ive never been sledged before that, but think of the comparison between 'professional' sledging and 'pub team' sledging.

On 3/26/2018 at 8:48 PM, kingofhearts said:

Whatever the case, could Cricket Australia be handling the situation any worse?

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Whatever the case, could Cricket Australia be handling the situation any worse?

I don't think so IMO.

Everybody wanted an answer before due process was taken.

Thats just not how it works. And just because news sights like fox sports have been pumping out over 40 articles in 3 days about the issue (!) doesn't mean that answers were going to be found sooner.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I don't think so IMO.

Everybody wanted an answer before due process was taken.

Thats just not how it works. And just because news sights like fox sports have been pumping out over 40 articles in 3 days about the issue (!) doesn't mean that answers were going to be found sooner.

I like the memes

• Like 1

16 hours ago, haz said:

Havnt pressed in the article but Im surpised a guy with that last name is making that statement

Maybe in the wrong thread. Probably should be in the I wonder thread, but I wonder how many of his cars this bloke has offloaded over the years?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

Maybe in the wrong thread. Probably should be in the I wonder thread, but I wonder how many of his cars this bloke has offloaded over the years?

Or more importantly I would be concerned how he names his parties

• Like 1

TTIM: The cost of printer ink.

Went to refill the parents printer ink for them the other day and could not believe how ridiculously expensive it was.

$140 bucks to replace 4 cartridges when you can buy a new laser printer for $80. Anyone work in the industry or know why that shits so expensive?

7 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Went to refill the parents printer ink for them the other day and could not believe how ridiculously expensive it was.

$140 bucks to replace 4 cartridges when you can buy a new laser printer for $80. Anyone work in the industry or know why that shits so expensive?

This belongs in Thrillhouse's Tightarse Thread

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I have seen printer ink referred to as "the most expensive liquid in the world."

4 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

When I was last in Japan I stocked up because in even the not cheap places it was a third of the price here in Oz.

BTW the why ink is expensive is that once you buy the printer then you are a captive market. Its not like you can replace a Canon cartridge with a Brother. I tried substitite brands and the quality was just fucking awful.

I have a Brother combined scanner/colour laser printer. Bloody near $400 for all four genuine Brother replacement cartridges and they don't seem to last as long as they should. Taking the bloody thing for service is a nightmare - you need to be a weightlifter to carry it.

Seems like there's no escape with printers.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I have a Brother combined scanner/colour laser printer. Bloody near $400 for all four genuine Brother replacement cartridges and they don't seem to last as long as they should. Taking the bloody thing for service is a nightmare - you need to be a weightlifter to carry it.

Seems like there's no escape with printers.

Give it a few years and everything will be done online

TTIM: Somehow when I open the tab of this forum when I'm using Spotify on my phone the music cuts out. But...it only happens if I've received a notification on here. Is there some notifications 'tone' linked to this forum or something that would cause it to cut out...??? One of life's many unanswered questions

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, n i k o said:

TTIM: Somehow when I open the tab of this forum when I'm using Spotify on my phone the music cuts out. But...it only happens if I've received a notification on here. Is there some notifications 'tone' linked to this forum or something that would cause it to cut out...??? One of life's many unanswered questions

Yea there is, on chrome you can see the little sound symbol on the tab when the page is 'live'. That cuts out other media playing. (https://www.pcworld.com/article/3141544/software/a-new-chrome-feature-automatically-mutes-multiple-tabs.html )

Theres an add-on to change it here

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mutetab/acofndgbcimipbpeoplfjcapdbebbmca?hl=en

EDIT: Saw this was on your phone, but im sure there would be an addon for it

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, haz said:

Yea there is, on chrome you can see the little sound symbol on the tab when the page is 'live'. That cuts out other media playing. (https://www.pcworld.com/article/3141544/software/a-new-chrome-feature-automatically-mutes-multiple-tabs.html )

Theres an add-on to change it here

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mutetab/acofndgbcimipbpeoplfjcapdbebbmca?hl=en

EDIT: Saw this was on your phone, but im sure there would be an addon for it

Well there you go. By "life's" I meant my life lol. Thanks 

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Used to do it on my iPhone but not now that I have a Huawei