Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

14 hours ago, NewConvert said:

No different to GoldFM when they have the top 1000 songs of all time. Its not like you don't have a choice not to listen and not to vote.

Actually it is very different... because Gold FM is a commercial station whose customers (From a chosen particular demographic) dictate the music played on the station not like at JJJ where one unaccountable bloke has had most of the control over the music played on "his station" since back in the days of the NSL.

So even though Gold FM can obv play some poor music (and some good FWIW at times too) the reality is that the songs they do play and particular those PPL vote for in a Top 1000 (Or Whatever) actually are songs that all had at least some degree commercial success. This is of course emphasized by the age of many of the songs chosen for such lists and the fact they are played on a major Commercial Radio Station.

Now I am the last person to think commercial success in the Music World is a measurement of Songs quality but its better indicator of a songs worth than the fact that it has been selected to be played on Public Broadcaster with a license to promote music of its own personal choice.

And your right - I dont really listen to JJJ anymore and I def dont listen or vote in the Hottest 100... however I do support the concept of JJJ in how it supports Independent Australian Music and its Regional Reach but you cant equate the "Commercial Success of GOLD FM" as the same as "Richard Kingmills' personal taste on JJJ" as the same thing.

Edited by cadete

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd be interested to know how you rate the "worth" of music.

TBH I look at Modern Music (Early Rock and then onwards) usually from a Historical Prospective where I usually factor in highly how influential an Artist/Band has been on the progression of Modern Music that came after them... which I wont deny that I also do with my own heavy personal bias.

1 hour ago, cadete said:

TBH I look at Modern Music (Early Rock and then onwards) usually from a Historical Prospective where I usually factor in highly how influential an Artist/Band has been on the progression of Modern Music that came after them... which I wont deny that I also do with my own heavy personal bias.

It was a genuine question BTW - I wasn't being a smartarse.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It was a genuine question BTW - I wasn't being a smartarse.

Yeah I know...

Also its a fun question to ask/answer because nobody has the same opinion, for example I have meet PPL with very similar taste in music to myself but still ended up debating the merits of one Beatle over another for half an hour.

8 hours ago, cadete said:

Actually it is very different... because Gold FM is a commercial station whose customers (From a chosen particular demographic) dictate the music played on the station not like at JJJ where one unaccountable bloke has had most of the control over the music played on "his station" since back in the days of the NSL.

So even though Gold FM can obv play some poor music (and some good FWIW at times too) the reality is that the songs they do play and particular those PPL vote for in a Top 1000 (Or Whatever) actually are songs that all had at least some degree commercial success. This is of course emphasized by the age of many of the songs chosen for such lists and the fact they are played on a major Commercial Radio Station.

Now I am the last person to think commercial success in the Music World is a measurement of Songs quality but its better indicator of a songs worth than the fact that it has been selected to be played on Public Broadcaster with a license to promote music of its own personal choice.

And your right - I dont really listen to JJJ anymore and I def dont listen or vote in the Hottest 100... however I do support the concept of JJJ in how it supports Independent Australian Music and its Regional Reach but you cant equate the "Commercial Success of GOLD FM" as the same as "Richard Kingmills' personal taste on JJJ" as the same thing.

On this I fully agree and he certainly is unaccountable.

TTIM: http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/other-industries/salvation-army-hits-back-at-donations-dropping-calls-out-people-trying-to-sell-instead/news-story/76650a4517996a414525ac0b43f740ef

Seriously wtf did I just read. Have a bigger sook that you can't get people's shit for free anymore because they have a better alternative. They don't even have to pay tax unlike their competitors. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tesla said:

TTIM: http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/other-industries/salvation-army-hits-back-at-donations-dropping-calls-out-people-trying-to-sell-instead/news-story/76650a4517996a414525ac0b43f740ef

Seriously wtf did I just read. Have a bigger sook that you can't get people's shit for free anymore because they have a better alternative. They don't even have to pay tax unlike their competitors. 

Lel.

37 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Wants free stuff. Gets free stuff but pissed off its not stuff they can profit from. Gets pissed off. People sell stuff of their own free will. Gets pissed off. Talk about having a huge sense of entitlement. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 11:44 PM, kingofhearts said:

TTIM : The waste of money that is the women's afl league. 

Jesus this shit is terrible, can we just all admit that it's shit and invest more in the men's side tyvm. 

We can still have women involved in afl though dw,  such as being cheerleaders. 

Its bloody retarded, three quarters of the year the Paper are giving Women's Footy a Double Page Spread and when Port Melbourne preform one of the greatest back against the wall stories throughout last years final series to win the VFL Flag and all they got one page when they won the whole League.

The club (One of Australia's Oldest) almost went bankrupt prior to Round One and the players all decided to forgo their pay for the first round. 

Not only did they beat a Richmond side that had only two Non-AFL listed players playing but to put the thing into context if Richmond had one that day they would have won everything: The AFL Flag, The Brownlow, The Norm Smith and the VFL Flag... surely the "Tiger Army" would have received three pages of coverage.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Jesus this shit is terrible, can we just all admit that it's shit and invest more in the men's side tyvm. 

It's a reflection of all this "gender" crap that has taken over the media since the gay marriage debate. 

• Like 1

I dont really have anything against the AFL putting money into it, I see it as a good investment for the game overall. One of the reasons the AFL gets a better TV deal than NRL is because of the high female audience. 

But the quality of the game itself is pure trash, and if anything its probably condescending to women that the only reason it gets an audience is because its women playing it rather than a men. Probably applies to all women sport actually. 

Edited by hedaik

1 hour ago, hedaik said:

I dont really have anything against the AFL putting money into it, I see it as a good investment for the game overall. One of the reasons the AFL gets a better TV deal than NRL is because of the high female audience. 

But the quality of the game itself is pure trash, and if anything its probably condescending to women that the only reason it gets an audience is because its women playing it rather than a men. Probably applies to all women sport actually. 

Women's tennis is probably the only sport I can think of that attracts an audience predominantly due to the skill of the players rather than the gender of the players

6 hours ago, hedaik said:

Pretty much my issue as well.

If the quality warranted the coverage I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they don't even charge entry to these games do they? Is that not a sign that in the second season of this so called 'professional' competition that it is still not a quality product?

The fact that they have to bring in so many ring ins from other sports also begs the question the seriousness of the league. I know this happens in other male sports as well, but the degree that it is happening in this league is ridiculous.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's a reflection of all this "gender" crap that has taken over the media since the gay marriage debate. 

Definitely sounds like it.

Just sick of having to constantly hear about it in the paper (such non issues as "a male hosting the WAFL show is sexist" are now headline news)

5 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Women's tennis is probably the only sport I can think of that attracts an audience predominantly due to the skill of the players rather than the gender of the players

Women tennis sucks, but it definitely has the hottest female athletes i'll give it that (y)

• Like 1

Plus Channel 7 now covers the VFL now so and instead of hearing about how the Borough players are pumping the Preston Blues by 30 pts...

We get some bogan female commentator only talking about the Carlton listed duds like “Billie Smedts” chances for Carlton Selection.

TTIM the afl telling the carlton aflw team they need to play more expansive football. Fuck off I'm no carlton or aflw fan, but its sport if they have worked out a tactical advantage then why the fuck should they be stopped? The afl is an absolute joke of an organisation, shame most average footy fans are knuckle daggers who don't show dissatisfaction in the right ways and let them get away with this shit. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

TTIM the afl telling the carlton aflw team they need to play more expansive football. Fuck off I'm no carlton or aflw fan, but its sport if they have worked out a tactical advantage then why the fuck should they be stopped? The afl is an absolute joke of an organisation, shame most average footy fans are knuckle daggers who don't show dissatisfaction in the right ways and let them get away with this shit. 

Been happening for years, even in the mens comp. The only reason we have rule changes tbh...

20 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Some of Unprofessional nature of the AFL baffles me... Why are coaches are not recycled /in fact why coaches have to be former AFL players really for a Professional supposedly Tactical game?

Why are players not selected when the first reach draft age basically deemed updraft worthy from there on (unless they completely kill it in a State Comp)?

Likewise why are players who are picked up early in the draft and show an obvious inability to play at the highest level pretty much instantly then usually given three/four years at their first club and another two at another club? (And I am not just talking about developing Tall Players)

Then most of all: Why dont clubs take the reward of their players being severely overrated in the marketplace to cash in on the trade table like as I mentioned on here before the Bulldogs could have traded Stringer, Johannisen, Tom Boyd after the 2017 Flag and gotten three times what they worth now and would have def played finals in 2018.

Edited by cadete

13 minutes ago, Tesla said:

TTIM: That while ctrl + z is often the shortcut for undo in programs, the shortcut for redo is always something different, whether ctrl + y, or ctrl + shift + z, or some other convoluted combination.

Try using a German keyboard, the 'Y' and 'Z' keys are switched

4 hours ago, jeffplz said:

TTIM: Procrastination.

I have a 500 word essay due in 25 minutes that I haven't started because it's 500 words.

I remember my first ever essay for uni being 500 words and i thought it was such a big deal. Seeing as my last essay was 5750 or there abouts, I can completely relate to doing it in 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, haz said:

TTIM: Is every kid on the 'Autism Spectrum' these days?

Pretty much "yes." I find that the word "Autism" is usually dropped, so that the child is "on The Spectrum." I also think that many parents use "The Spectrum" as some sort of "Badge of Honour" for their child, and it is used as an excuse for allowing the little bugger to misbehave and throw tantrums.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

TTIM; Signing up for Food Technology as an Elective, thinking it would be a bludge, then being informed my mate and I are solely responsible for catering an open morning and after school concert

It's 3pm. Shouldn't you be baking?

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2