Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

TTIM:

Shit Journalism.

Click on an ABC story about the Rugby League World Cup only to get a few lines in and giving up after they refer to it as "Rugby" (that's rugby union) and then refer to it as "the game they play in heaven" (rugby union again). 

Now I get that a Melbourne cabby wouldn't know or the care about the difference between these two games but when you have been paid to write about it surely you'd get your facts right? Also was the editor on holidays?

Unfortunately for the abc, readers outside of Melbourne will see this "article".

Are you talking about this article?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-27/richard-hinds-rugby-league-world-cup-do-fans-care/9089298

It seems to me the journalist is in fact referring to Union and not League. First paragraph refers to soccer fans, then union, then AFL fans attitudes. 

(TTIM: Shit readers?)

Edited by hedaik

6 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Are you talking about this article?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-27/richard-hinds-rugby-league-world-cup-do-fans-care/9089298

It seems to me the journalist is in fact referring to Union and not League. First paragraph refers to soccer fans, then union, then AFL fans attitudes. 

(TTIM: Shit readers?)

I am. Also I think i know who the shit reader is.

The article has rugby league in the title, it mentions rugby league about 5 times, it refers to the game of rugby league played last night, it has a picture of the Kangaroos (our national rugby league team since 1908). 

So who can't read articles properly?

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

I am. Also I think i know who the shit reader is.

The article has rugby league in the title, it mentions rugby league about 5 times, it refers to the game of rugby league played last night, it has a picture of the Kangaroos (our national rugby league team since 1908). 

So who can't read articles properly?

I think you're drunk

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hedaik said:

I think you're drunk

Lol.

look as you're from vic/wa I understand that you may not get (nor care) that rugby league and rugby union are two completely different games and have been for over a century, but if you were writing about them for a living I'd expect you to understand.

see the green jersey in the photo? That's a kangaroos jersey. Go to a wallabies game and you'll see our team play in gold.

In 1908 rugby league broke away from rugby union and they've been separate ever since. They are a bit similar though and that's why there are so many duel internationals.

have you wondered why we have both the Melbourne Storm and the Melbourne Rebels? They play two different games.

google is your friend.

6 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Lol.

look as you're from vic/wa I understand that you may not get (nor care) that rugby league and rugby union are two completely different games and have been for over a century, but if you were writing about them for a living I'd expect you to understand.

see the green jersey in the photo? That's a kangaroos jersey. Go to a wallabies game and you'll see our team play in gold.

In 1908 rugby league broke away from rugby union and they've been separate ever since. They are a bit similar though and that's why there are so many duel internationals.

have you wondered why we have both the Melbourne Storm and the Melbourne Rebels? They play two different games.

google is your friend.

Good thing about being from WA and avoiding concussions from not playing either league or rugby is I still have a few braincells left that allow me to comprehend a news article. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Good thing about being from WA and avoiding concussions from not playing either league or rugby is I still have a few braincells left that allow me to comprehend a news article. 

I am truly an ignorant mug and are embarrassing myself  with my posting.

Edited by Shahanga
Taking it like a man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Why are there references to rugby league through the article if they're talking rugby union? Or if they're talking about union why are there references to league? 

Hines is making a subtle reference that Union has a higher international status than League, I missed it.

34 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Lol.

google is your friend.

THEY ARE DIFFERENT???????

Who knew.

8 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

THEY ARE DIFFERENT???????

Who knew.

Until the rebels were founded I reckon your average footy fan didn't know. Anyway I made a fool of myself (not for the first time) but hopefully have made up for it by apologising to @hedaik.

hey I've been wondering how does a guy with South American heritage become a "new convert"? How did you escape being indoctrinated from birth?

The moniker was not in reference to football per se, it was to Australian football and the A-League. Back in the 70s with the old state leagues which were very ethnic so I didn't fit in and nor did I want to fit in so I turned to AFL and remained there. Went to a few Carlton games back in the late 80s or early 90s but did not enjoy the IRA jerks (yep back before the peace agreement) so I did not return. Then the A-League started and went to a few Victory games but walked away un-interested. Then when Heart started I added football to my weekly sport diet - hence I became a new convert to the A-League. Although by now the moniker is getting a bit worn.

And no I was not indoctrinated into football as the old man's sport was boxing.

5 hours ago, NewConvert said:

The moniker was not in reference to football per se, it was to Australian football and the A-League. Back in the 70s with the old state leagues which were very ethnic so I didn't fit in and nor did I want to fit in so I turned to AFL and remained there. Went to a few Carlton games back in the late 80s or early 90s but did not enjoy the IRA jerks (yep back before the peace agreement) so I did not return. Then the A-League started and went to a few Victory games but walked away un-interested. Then when Heart started I added football to my weekly sport diet - hence I became a new convert to the A-League. Although by now the moniker is getting a bit worn.

And no I was not indoctrinated into football as the old man's sport was boxing.

What Carlton club are you referring too?

The one I remember I was the attempt by the AFL Club to get a replacement for Brunswick Juventus up and going in the late 90's... I know that a fair few Carlton fans ended up becoming fairly active with the early North Terrace but why were IRA songs being sung?

(Am I missing something?)

Also what IRA songs were being sung, as a Celtic fan and a Brunswick Juventus fan (I grew up in West Brunswick) I really cant picture blokes singing Wolfe Tone songs at a NSL game at an Italian Football Club.

Edited by cadete

43 minutes ago, cadete said:

What Carlton club are you referring too?

The one I remember I was the attempt by the AFL Club to get a replacement for Brunswick Juventus up and going in the late 90's... I know that a fair few Carlton fans ended up becoming fairly active with the early North Terrace but why were IRA songs being sung?

(Am I missing something?)

Also what IRA songs were being sung, as a Celtic fan and a Brunswick Juventus fan (I grew up in West Brunswick) I really cant picture blokes singing Wolfe Tone songs at a NSL game at an Italian Football Club.

It was the AFL Carlton and it wasn't the terrace and it wasn't the IRA it was the UDF (my mistake). Basically went to two games and these dicks in the general sitting area started doing the fist salute and shouting UDF. That was enough for me.

20 hours ago, NewConvert said:

It was the AFL Carlton and it wasn't the terrace and it wasn't the IRA it was the UDF (my mistake). Basically went to two games and these dicks in the general sitting area started doing the fist salute and shouting UDF. That was enough for me.

Um, that's a hell of a mistake... And as someone who has attended VFL since 1988 the most political thing I have ever heard of happening at a match. 

Once a fellow Geelong supporter tried to start up Sectarian on me about being a Celtic fan and the Bogans around him (Who knew him better than me) told him to shut the fuck up and go outside if he wanted to talk about Religion.

TBH sounds like you were pretty unlucky to encounter these blokes on two occasions. (And I have been to a lot of Carlton games due to my father... who I know he would have walked out in even more disgust than probably you).

I mean I can list which VFL sides were traditionally seen as Catholic or Protestant in the 50's but by the 1980's most the of that shit was pretty much had become Non Existent.

For example Carlton were seen as a Blue Blood Protestant team but then they also became the Italian team due to migration.

Likewise Essendon originally had a strong Mason influence once upon a time but is now the easily the area of Melbourne that contains the most Catholic residents.

In saying that you are always going to hear some fucken dumb shit said if you chose to stand at an AFL game... likewise at any Sporting Match watched by the masses.

Edited by cadete

2 hours ago, cadete said:

Um, that's a hell of a mistake... And as someone who has attended VFL since 1988 the most political thing I have ever heard of happening at a match. 

Once a fellow Geelong supporter tried to start up Sectarian on me about being a Celtic fan and the Bogans around him (Who knew him better than me) told him to shut the fuck up and go outside if he wanted to talk about Religion.

TBH sounds like you were pretty unlucky to encounter these blokes on two occasions. (And I have been to a lot of Carlton games due to my father... who I know he would have walked out in even more disgust than probably you).

I mean I can list which VFL sides were traditionally seen as Catholic or Protestant in the 50's but by the 1980's most the of that shit was pretty much had become Non Existent.

For example Carlton were seen as a Blue Blood Protestant team but then they also became the Italian team due to migration.

Likewise Essendon originally had a strong Mason influence once upon a time but is now the easily the area of Melbourne that contains the most Catholic residents.

In saying that you are always going to hear some fucken dumb shit said if you chose to stand at an AFL game... likewise at any Sporting Match watched by the masses.

So far it is the only time I have heard religious sectarian crap at any sporting event. I have heard the ethnic shit which I am not a fan of either. And yes there are always dicks who jsut say dumb shit.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

So far it is the only time I have heard religious sectarian crap at any sporting event. I have heard the ethnic shit which I am not a fan of either. And yes there are always dicks who jsut say dumb shit.

I would consider the conflict in the Middle East as partly Sectarian...

And at one stage your own club in MHFC had a former Capo bringing in Palestinian Banners he made into games and trying to force them on the rest of the Terrace. 

Then alongside this Anti Semitic comments were being made regularly on this forum by one of his follow Supra members.

MVFC have also had fans who constantly displayed Palestinian Banners and made Anti Semitic statements at and away from games.

Sydney FC have made Tifos with hints alluding to them being in support of a British Rule ending in Northern Ireland more than once.

Whilst at one stage some self proclaimed Adelaide Casuals were constantly posing for snaps making Pro Serbian Hand Signals... Which Croatians consider highly offensive and Sectarian.

All of this occurred in a three year period when I paid greater attention to the A-League.

Most of this is particularly lame when you think about how fans have been given generic templates for clubs...

Meaning it's been the fans themselves who have gone out to push these messages rather than them being systematic traditions being passed down through the generations.

TBH sadly early on even I have dabbled in this unnecessary stuff however the flags I brought to matches for a short period were for regional independence movements with no Sectarian content. (Basque and Breton). 

And technically the Wallonia Flag which we adopted as the now longstanding flag/emblem of the Old Rooster Kop.

As for the state Leagues, I have heard comments about Refs being Catholic Priests at Heidelberg and South more than once.

I have seen Serbian and Greek supporters wearing Orthodox Brotherhood jumpers at matches.

And I really don't need to go on about some of the political yet still Sectarian themed things that have occurred at Somers Street or at Sydney United.

Edited by cadete

6 hours ago, cadete said:

I would consider the conflict in the Middle East as partly Sectarian...

And at one stage your own club in MHFC had a former Capo bringing in Palestinian Banners he made into games and trying to force them on the rest of the Terrace. 

Then alongside this Anti Semitic comments were being made regularly on this forum by one of his follow Supra members.

MVFC have also had fans who constantly displayed Palestinian Banners and made Anti Semitic statements at and away from games.

Sydney FC have made Tifos with hints alluding to them being in support of a British Rule ending in Northern Ireland more than once.

Whilst at one stage some self proclaimed Adelaide Casuals were constantly posing for snaps making Pro Serbian Hand Signals... Which Croatians consider highly offensive and Sectarian.

All of this occurred in a three year period when I paid greater attention to the A-League.

Most of this is particularly lame when you think about how fans have been given generic templates for clubs...

Meaning it's been the fans themselves who have gone out to push these messages rather than them being systematic traditions being passed down through the generations.

TBH sadly early on even I have dabbled in this unnecessary stuff however the flags I brought to matches for a short period were for regional independence movements with no Sectarian content. (Basque and Breton). 

And technically the Wallonia Flag which we adopted as the now longstanding flag/emblem of the Old Rooster Kop.

As for the state Leagues, I have heard comments about Refs being Catholic Priests at Heidelberg and South more than once.

I have seen Serbian and Greek supporters wearing Orthodox Brotherhood jumpers at matches.

And I really don't need to go on about some of the political yet still Sectarian themed things that have occurred at Somers Street or at Sydney United.

Well I didn't and don't sit near the terrace so I missed that. And glad to read that you got rid of the sectarian.:)

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Well I didn't and don't sit near the terrace so I missed that. And glad to read that you got rid of the sectarian.:)

My point is that considering that most AFL clubs are as old as the world's most famous Soccer Clubs... Often older in a lot of cases.

When it comes to supporters of particular clubs  being apolitical and non devisive if anything it's the Sport that really is leading the way.

You see people from all walks of life supporting all of the clubs. Litterally all types of people will support any of the sides. The sport has always been particularly good at welcoming different waves of immigration and not creating ethnic tension when doing so...

Alongside this the game is easily the code of Football in the world most attended by females. This is obviously helped by how It's also a game where PPL can sit next to opposition fans pretty much in complete safety.

If anything the main problem that Soccer encounters with the Media and FFA Administration in Australia is due to AFL being able to do all of the above so effectively.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cadete said:

My point is that considering that most AFL clubs are as old as the world's most famous Soccer Clubs... Often older in a lot of cases.

When it comes to supporters of particular clubs  being apolitical and non devisive if anything it's the Sport that really is leading the way.

You see people from all walks of life supporting all of the clubs. Litterally all types of people will support any of the sides. The sport has always been particularly good at welcoming different waves of immigration and not creating ethnic tension when doing so...

Alongside this the game is easily the code of Football in the world most attended by females. This is obviously helped by how It's also a game where PPL can sit next to opposition fans pretty much in complete safety.

If anything the main problem that Soccer encounters with the Media and FFA Administration in Australia is due to AFL being able to do all of the above so effectively.

Probably because Australian Football is uniquely Australian. So you couldn't bring old animosities to the game, and even if you tried you would be highly unlikely to succeed. Soccer's problem was that the game here was set up along ethnic/sectarian lines, and so the handful of morons who wanted to bring those old animosities to their new home found a ready place in which to continue them.

1 hour ago, cadete said:

Problem or uniqueness? From an ethnic and NSL point of view yes it is a problem. But from an aleague point of view having that tribalism is what does seperates and make our games unique atmospheres.* Personally wouldn't have it any other way.

*Excluding areas regarding small percentage of 'hooligan' behaviour 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Probably because Australian Football is uniquely Australian. So you couldn't bring old animosities to the game, and even if you tried you would be highly unlikely to succeed. Soccer's problem was that the game here was set up along ethnic/sectarian lines, and so the handful of morons who wanted to bring those old animosities to their new home found a ready place in which to continue them.

Soccer was not set up on Ethnic Lines in Australia.

It was set up in a very similar fashion to AFL with clubs formed along Suburban Lines.... it took well over 50 years for the Ethnic clubs to be formed and then emerge as the dominant clubs only after WW2 in the 1950's. Gradually their larger supporter bases then enabled them to buy the best players and become the dominant clubs and replace those from the Pre-War Era... most of the early stars of Interstate Soccer were Anglos playing for these clubs for cash.

5 hours ago, n i k o said:

Problem or uniqueness? From an ethnic and NSL point of view yes it is a problem. But from an aleague point of view having that tribalism is what does seperates and make our games unique atmospheres.* Personally wouldn't have it any other way.

*Excluding areas regarding small percentage of 'hooligan' behaviour 

What Tribalism does the A-League really have? 

Clubs singing the exact same "Chants of The Week" stolen from Youtube?
"Cmon you team in... "

Or how almost every "Sub Group" at a majority of A-League clubs use the same ANTIFA Images for stickers, not realising that the ANTIFA Movement in Europe that they are mimicking is just a renaming of the advocating of Socialism than a Movement against Fascism.

(Let alone the fact that there is no need to even worry about any Fascist Movement getting traction on the Australian Political Landscape... if anything there is more danger of Totalitarian policy coming from the Left considering the popularity of the Greens Party compared to any well organised Right Wing Party.)

Then there is the bunch blokes of in $30 Weekend Offender Tees and $25 JD Sport FILA Bucket Hats rocking up at the Imperial to throw chairs at People because they support a side that is from the same City and shares the same home ground but has the audacity to have been formed a few years later and wear Sky Blue instead of Navy Blue.

All of that sounds like a great meaty topic on Tribalism to thrash out for somebody's Anthropological Doctorate there.:rolleyes:

Edited by cadete

19 hours ago, jeffplz said:

1. We already know you are, no need to go into defense

2. Why did you feel the need to bring that up in this thread?

I swear on my life he's not, he's just a mate of mine. A few people on here know what I look like/who I am, if anyone sees me in the terrace he'll be the bloke right next to me, feel free to come and say g'day to both of us

32 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

I swear on my life he's not, he's just a mate of mine. A few people on here know what I look like/who I am, if anyone sees me in the terrace he'll be the bloke right next to me, feel free to come and say g'day to both of us

Look seriously nobody here gives a fuck... 

Edit - Look I'm not trying to be a dick but sometimes on a forum crap pointless posting from younger posters needs to be put to rest for educational purposes.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, cadete said:

Look seriously nobody here gives a fuck... 

Edit - Look I'm not trying to be a dick but sometimes on a forum crap pointless posting from younger posters needs to be put to rest for educational purposes.

Understand that mate, I'm just tired of people making that mistake

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Not sure. Both groups were full of evil dickheads who thought violence on innocents was the answer to everything.

More alike than different.

I meant if u had said something to these people.

But FWIW the Original Irish Army won a war of Independence... can't remember the UDF ever doing anything similar.

The modern IRA of course is obviously as much of a Criminal Organization as it is about Irish Independence.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cadete said:

Soccer was not set up on Ethnic Lines in Australia.

It was set up in a very similar fashion to AFL with clubs formed along Suburban Lines.... it took well over 50 years for the Ethnic clubs to be formed and then emerge as the dominant clubs only after WW2 in the 1950's. Gradually their larger supporter bases then enabled them to buy the best players and become the dominant clubs and replace those from the Pre-War Era... most of the early stars of Interstate Soccer were Anglos playing for these clubs for cash.

What Tribalism does the A-League really have? 

Clubs singing the exact same "Chants of The Week" stolen from Youtube?
"Cmon you team in... "

Or how almost every "Sub Group" at a majority of A-League clubs use the same ANTIFA Images for stickers, not realising that the ANTIFA Movement in Europe that they are mimicking is just a renaming of the advocating of Socialism than a Movement against Fascism.

(Let alone the fact that there is no need to even worry about any Fascist Movement getting traction on the Australian Political Landscape... if anything there is more danger of Totalitarian policy coming from the Left considering the popularity of the Greens Party compared to any well organised Right Wing Party.)

Then there is the bunch blokes of in $30 Weekend Offender Tees and $25 JD Sport FILA Bucket Hats rocking up at the Imperial to throw chairs at People because they support a side that is from the same City and shares the same home ground but has the audacity to have been formed a few years later and wear Sky Blue instead of Navy Blue.

All of that sounds like a great meaty topic on Tribalism to thrash out for somebody's Anthropological Doctorate there.:rolleyes:

Fuck me dead I got 4 lines in and starting thinking geez you like the sound of your own voice or you just like to try and impress us with your vast knowledge. Compare the way aleague supporters are segregated or organised in general, away bays, home bays, and you only have to watch a game to see the majority of casual aleague fans tend to gravitate toward their own supporter group. AFL supporters dont share that same level of need to segregate themselves during games. That's the form of tribalism I was speaking of as by the definition and that's all I meant, not talking about antifa connections or totalitarian policies or what tshirts some cunts wear to games. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Fuck me dead I got 4 lines in and starting thinking geez you like the sound of your own voice or you just like to try and impress us with your vast knowledge. Compare the way aleague supporters are segregated or organised in general, away bays, home bays, and you only have to watch a game to see the majority of casual aleague fans tend to gravitate toward their own supporter group. AFL supporters dont share that same level of need to segregate themselves during games. That's the form of tribalism I was speaking of as by the definition and that's all I meant, not talking about antifa connections or totalitarian policies or what tshirts some cunts wear to games. 

You see the funny thing is that your the person who started going on about how strong and appealing the Tribalism in the A-League is when compared to the AFL.

All I did was try to work out what the fuck you could be talking about... I should have just put it down to you often biting at the word "AFL" (Or Yarraside it's seems if I ambare honest.)

I did not realize that somebody could draw so much enjoyment purely over clubs having to follow FFA directives on Segregation at games with enforced designated Away Bays and Active Home Bays.

Which leads me to two points: 

1. I have been standing and chanting in the same area, with the same ppl (basically strangers) at Geelong games well before MHFC.

Likewise at Port Melbourne VFL games I stand in a similar place which has organically has become the place where a certain type of supporter will watch the match over decades.

2. Sadly my post that was mocking your comments about A-League Tribalism litterally now makes a better argument for its existence than your own about the power and glory of FFA designated Active and Away Bays.

Edited by cadete

You can be honest but you're making yourself look like a fool in doing so. Sometimes the best thing to do is bite your toungue. My comments had absolutely no form of resentment or dislike about AFL in any way shape or form (which I don't have anyway) nor did they have any reference to Yaraside whatsoever. If you see it this way it's your problem not mine. Off the back of your comment about 'sitting in safety' (more commonly sitting next to each other) it was merely a comment about how fans tend to gravitate and segregate themselves during A-League games in comparisons to the AFL (and not due to 'safety' reasons). I made mention of home and away bays as a point of reference as to where they tend to prefer to sit and general supporters gravitate towards, irrespective of FFA directives. 

If anything I should have used another word other than tribalism as well as  being a common word used amongst AFL supporters to describe their fan base so it's prob not the right word but I would have hoped you'd get my meaning. Being politically correct wasn't my intention in a casual comment over the forums. 

• Like 1