Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

10 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

How many germans does It take to change a lightbulb?

One.

Germans are efficient and have no sense of humour.

Get It?

You forgot the 6 forms that would needed to be filled out beforehand and then the other six afterwards.

11 hours ago, Jimmy said:

TTIM: How you can't get real beer anywhere these days. Pussy hipster girly men who should stick to cider have fucked the market and everything is light and fruity now. Gtfo. 

Honestly would rather drink VB tins than 75% of the craft beers I've tried over the last 12 months.

Everything to me seems to be IPA which I wouldnt say is light and fruity. Im not a big fan of most of the craft beers either, but I can usually find a lager on tap. I'd prefer to be spending a couple of bucks less though and drink a Fosters or something though which tastes the same as any other good lager imo. 

14 hours ago, Jimmy said:

TTIM: How you can't get real beer anywhere these days. Pussy hipster girly men who should stick to cider have fucked the market and everything is light and fruity now. Gtfo. 

Honestly would rather drink VB tins than 75% of the craft beers I've tried over the last 12 months.

Was in Tassie recently. Trying to get a normal beer that doesn't taste like mandarin or some bullshit was near impossible

21 hours ago, hedaik said:

Everything to me seems to be IPA which I wouldnt say is light and fruity. Im not a big fan of most of the craft beers either, but I can usually find a lager on tap. I'd prefer to be spending a couple of bucks less though and drink a Fosters or something though which tastes the same as any other good lager imo. 

TTDIM: Craft beer on tap everywhere

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hedaik said:

I love trying craft IPAs. I never seem to see them on tap though. I need to drink where you are.

TTIM: The NBN. Had the occasional service interruption from iinet when on the old copper network, but nothing like I've experienced since being connected to the NBN. Loss of internet and of course VOIP on a regular basis. I can't detect any increase in speed for the uses I have, and of course I've had to replace all my previous telephone equipment inside the house. The physicals of the connection are amateurish - crappy plastic junction boxes on the western wall of my house aren't going to last many summers.

Pleased to see dissatisfaction with the NBN getting a political airing today. What a waste of money it is.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM: The NBN. Had the occasional service interruption from iinet when on the old copper network, but nothing like I've experienced since being connected to the NBN. Loss of internet and of course VOIP on a regular basis. I can't detect any increase in speed for the uses I have, and of course I've had to replace all my previous telephone equipment inside the house. The physicals of the connection are amateurish - crappy plastic junction boxes on the western wall of my house aren't going to last many summers.

Pleased to see dissatisfaction with the NBN getting a political airing today. What a waste of money it is.

I've not had a single problem, fibre optic all the way to the house and co axial cable from there

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Welcome to the government interfering in things that should be handled by the private sector.

Seriously one of the biggest disasters ever by the government 

Edited by Tesla

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

People have been very critical of the change of direction of the NBN for a long time (myself included). People are only caring more now due to the fact that they are being connected to the piece of junk. 

Abbotts legacy. 

Edited by hedaik

14 minutes ago, hedaik said:

People have been very critical of the change of direction of the NBN for a long time (myself included). People are only caring more now due to the fact that they are being connected to the piece of junk. 

Abbotts legacy. 

Precisely. I didn't care either, because in my ignorance I didn't realise that connection would ultimately be compulsory because the old copper network will in due course be removed. I have no need for extra internet speed, therefore no need to change from what provided me with a perfectly adequate and reliable internet and telephone service. Now I have neither.

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Precisely. I didn't care either, because in my ignorance I didn't realise that connection would ultimately be compulsory because the old copper network will in due course be removed. I have no need for extra internet speed, therefore no need to change from what provided me with a perfectly adequate and reliable internet and telephone service. Now I have neither.

FTTN is actually still using the existing copper network for the 'last mile' which is what the NBN was supposed to be replacing due to majority of the copper network in Australia being completely shot and past its use by date....to achieve speeds only slightly better than what one could already get off ADSL. (And also adding nodes in every 3rd street of the country which means more devices to look after and more things to go wrong)

Still not sure who is more to blame, Liberals for turning the NBN into a tier 20 network or Labor for starting the whole mess. Leaning to Labor TBH, it was inevitable such a big, long, and expensive project would be politicised, precisely why government shouldnt undertake projects like this and leave it to the private sector instead.

By now the private sector would have already hooked up metropolitan areas to FTTP while charging less and the government could have subsidised rural areas if they were so inclined at a much lower cost than under the NBN.

Of course the issue with that is that the government always prefers to sneakily subsidise rural areas rather than directly because if people knew how much money goes to propping up unsustainable bumpkin towns they'd be mad af, but the government has to keep doing it because rural areas have greater political power.

Edited by Tesla

Also worth noting the current major issues with the NBN aren't due to the technology used, it's down to it being too expensive. ISPs are massively overselling / not buying enough bandwidth, because it's the only way they can deliver the service at the price the market is willing to pay. Hence why people are getting slow and unreliable internet.

The best part is that despite being effectively given a monopoly with competition being banned, the NBN can never actually hope to make a profit with the way things are going, they need ISPs to buy more bandwidth and start charging customers more (the NBN CEO basically said thats what their business plan relies on just a few days ago).

So we've basically got a network so expensive that the only way people can afford it is by buying a shitty oversold service that is slow and unreliable, and the NBN still wont make a profit despite if effectively being a monopoly.

Now imagine if Labor's more expensive NBN was deployed, sure it would be better in the long term, but even more financially fucked in the short term than what is already a disaster.

Edited by Tesla

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

Also worth noting the current major issues with the NBN aren't due to the technology used, it's down to it being too expensive. ISPs are massively overselling / not buying enough bandwidth, because it's the only way they can deliver the service at the price the market is willing to pay. Hence why people are getting slow and unreliable internet.

The best part is that despite being effectively given a monopoly with competition being banned, the NBN can never actually hope to make a profit with the way things are going, they need ISPs to buy more bandwidth and start charging customers more (the NBN CEO basically said thats what their business plan relies on just a few days ago).

So we've basically got a network so expensive that the only way people can afford it is by buying a shitty oversold service that is slow and unreliable, and the NBN still wont make a profit despite if effectively being a monopoly.

Now imagine if Labor's more expensive NBN was deployed, sure it would be better in the long term, but even more financially fucked in the short term than what is already a disaster.

So much this.  

Majority of complaints revolve around the ISPs conduct (ACCC have even gone to court with them over it), shit would have been considerably worse if it was all fibre to the home.

5 hours ago, Tesla said:

Still not sure who is more to blame, Liberals for turning the NBN into a tier 20 network or Labor for starting the whole mess. Leaning to Labor TBH, it was inevitable such a big, long, and expensive project would be politicised, precisely why government shouldnt undertake projects like this and leave it to the private sector instead.

By now the private sector would have already hooked up metropolitan areas to FTTP while charging less and the government could have subsidised rural areas if they were so inclined at a much lower cost than under the NBN.

Of course the issue with that is that the government always prefers to sneakily subsidise rural areas rather than directly because if people knew how much money goes to propping up unsustainable bumpkin towns they'd be mad af, but the government has to keep doing it because rural areas have greater political power.

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

Now you are stepping on my turf. Across Europe, including the UK under both the Labour and Tory governments, Singapore and Japan the next generation networks have been procured by governments. The USA is to my knowledge the only major economy where this has not happened. The reasons are extensive as to why this is the case. However all cases have the issue that regional or low income areas do not get the service, which is why fibre is incredibly rare in the Appalachians (as an aside I remember asking an American engineer whether I could go and visit some these localities and his emphatic answer was no because it was so dangerous). Also if you have a large monopoly (natural or otherwise) there is no driver to actually deliver the service. Then there is the question of finance; projects that take a long time mean that there is less access to finance and it usually comes in the form of a consortium lending money, even for mining. If the returns are way into teh future and unknown risks crop up, things are decidedly more difficult. Even when my employer made a bid to install an optical network in Saudi Arabia, one of teh preconditions was to provide finance for 20 years. So no, the private sector would not have stepped in and definitely there is no incentive to provide services to regional or rural areas. For evidence see the UK and contrast that with teh USA.

Other factors that increase risk are eminent domain, archeological finds (when working in Rome we had to use the already full conduits because TI refused to dig anything for fear of finding more ancient Roman artifacts), and in countries like Australia, the geology comes into play as well as the distances.

I fully agree that regional and rural areas get far more funding than is generally acknowledged.

The technology of keeping copper alive is a major cost driver. It certainly was 10 years ago and I expect that to get worse. Why on earth did this government force NBN to buy the HFC network from Optus I will never know. The cost of copper is very high and continues to climb, replacing this network is proving costly.

I'll be stuffed why the ALP spends so much money on regional and rural areas when the they never vote ALP.

On 16/10/2017 at 4:44 PM, jw1739 said:

Disagree completely. I've written innumerable articles and reports, and two books, using it. I'll concede that earlier versions were easier to use than the latest one I have, but I put that down more to having to eventually give up Windows XP than anything else. I still have XP and various discontinued Microsoft programs on a stand-alone PC.

Meant to reply sooner but have been busy sorry.

I use google docs more myself. I find one of the best things about it is the fact you can actually save documents in google docs in other word document programs (such as microsoft word) due to the fact where I study (plus the fact people i work with have apples, which are just not compatible with anything) we still don't have a centralised word program we use ffs. 

I like the templates and their are some nice features on word, and as you said and i agree with the earlier versions were easier to use. The newer version i use however, just has many problems with it like fuck, even when inserting bullets and numbering into word I've had the whole program crash on me multiple times. And theres no scarier thing then having your 8000 word essay crash on you for something so small lol.

7 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Now you are stepping on my turf. Across Europe, including the UK under both the Labour and Tory governments, Singapore and Japan the next generation networks have been procured by governments. The USA is to my knowledge the only major economy where this has not happened. The reasons are extensive as to why this is the case. However all cases have the issue that regional or low income areas do not get the service, which is why fibre is incredibly rare in the Appalachians (as an aside I remember asking an American engineer whether I could go and visit some these localities and his emphatic answer was no because it was so dangerous). Also if you have a large monopoly (natural or otherwise) there is no driver to actually deliver the service. Then there is the question of finance; projects that take a long time mean that there is less access to finance and it usually comes in the form of a consortium lending money, even for mining. If the returns are way into teh future and unknown risks crop up, things are decidedly more difficult. Even when my employer made a bid to install an optical network in Saudi Arabia, one of teh preconditions was to provide finance for 20 years. So no, the private sector would not have stepped in and definitely there is no incentive to provide services to regional or rural areas. For evidence see the UK and contrast that with teh USA.

Other factors that increase risk are eminent domain, archeological finds (when working in Rome we had to use the already full conduits because TI refused to dig anything for fear of finding more ancient Roman artifacts), and in countries like Australia, the geology comes into play as well as the distances.

I fully agree that regional and rural areas get far more funding than is generally acknowledged.

The technology of keeping copper alive is a major cost driver. It certainly was 10 years ago and I expect that to get worse. Why on earth did this government force NBN to buy the HFC network from Optus I will never know. The cost of copper is very high and continues to climb, replacing this network is proving costly.

I'll be stuffed why the ALP spends so much money on regional and rural areas when the they never vote ALP.

The private sector has actually tried to connect areas to their own fibre networks and the government does everything it can to stop them to protect NBNs monopoly, so I don't think it's an unreasonable suggestion that without the NBN and with a deregulated industry that significant portions of metropolitan areas would be on some form of fibre right now. Plus there are of course wireless services which are a good substitute for most uses, so much so that now the NBN is scared of that competition and wants the government to start making mobile networks pay a levy for competing with the NBN. 

As for regional areas, like I said they would still most likely need to be subsidised, but it still wouldn't be anything like the cost of the NBN. 

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

The private sector has actually tried to connect areas to their own fibre networks and the government does everything it can to stop them to protect NBNs monopoly, so I don't think it's an unreasonable suggestion that without the NBN and with a deregulated industry that significant portions of metropolitan areas would be on some form of fibre right now. Plus there are of course wireless services which are a good substitute for most uses, so much so that now the NBN is scared of that competition and wants the government to start making mobile networks pay a levy for competing with the NBN. 

As for regional areas, like I said they would still most likely need to be subsidised, but it still wouldn't be anything like the cost of the NBN. 

As you point out the real issue is how to subsidise the non-viable regions - as an aside Ferny Creek in 2007 could not even get ADSL2 due to not being economically viable. So yes, other companies have wanted to enter the market by selecting the most economically viable areas. If NBN is tasked with providing equivalent service to 95% of the population then it would have to be subsidised in some way. Your method is to increase general taxes (or divert taxes away from other expenditure) or as is the current model (which has been in existence since 1921) people pay higher prices throughout the telecommunications sector. The former will not fly politically as teh National Party would block teh coalition from implementing it as they know that any reduction in expenditure will lead to a loss of subsidies. The ALP won't contemplate it because it would become a point of attack and our TVs will be filled with weeping farmers saying how dastardly evil city people are. Interestingly, I am not aware of a single jurisdiction where government subsidises the economically unviable areas - they all do it through higher prices.

12 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Meant to reply sooner but have been busy sorry.

I use google docs more myself. I find one of the best things about it is the fact you can actually save documents in google docs in other word document programs (such as microsoft word) due to the fact where I study (plus the fact people i work with have apples, which are just not compatible with anything) we still don't have a centralised word program we use ffs. 

I like the templates and their are some nice features on word, and as you said and i agree with the earlier versions were easier to use. The newer version i use however, just has many problems with it like fuck, even when inserting bullets and numbering into word I've had the whole program crash on me multiple times. And theres no scarier thing then having your 8000 word essay crash on you for something so small lol.

Certainly agree that the newer version I have (Office 2013) is inferior to what I had originally. I hate the bloody ribbon, and found the old drop-down menus so much more logical and easier to use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewConvert said:

As you point out the real issue is how to subsidise the non-viable regions - as an aside Ferny Creek in 2007 could not even get ADSL2 due to not being economically viable. So yes, other companies have wanted to enter the market by selecting the most economically viable areas. If NBN is tasked with providing equivalent service to 95% of the population then it would have to be subsidised in some way. Your method is to increase general taxes (or divert taxes away from other expenditure) or as is the current model (which has been in existence since 1921) people pay higher prices throughout the telecommunications sector. The former will not fly politically as teh National Party would block teh coalition from implementing it as they know that any reduction in expenditure will lead to a loss of subsidies. The ALP won't contemplate it because it would become a point of attack and our TVs will be filled with weeping farmers saying how dastardly evil city people are. Interestingly, I am not aware of a single jurisdiction where government subsidises the economically unviable areas - they all do it through higher prices.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't see why people who choose to live in the bush should expect to have precisely the same services as people who live in metropolitan areas.

• Like 2

Old-fashioned perhaps I am, but I never crammed on the day of an exam. Just relaxed. Kicked a ball, smelled the roses. If you don't know your stuff the day before, you don't really know it at all. You might get lucky with some last-minute reading, but IMO you're more likely to go into a panic when you see the paper and realise that all that last-minute stuff you looked at just isn't there.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Old-fashioned perhaps I am, but I never crammed on the day of an exam. Just relaxed. Kicked a ball, smelled the roses. If you don't know your stuff the day before, you don't really know it at all. You might get lucky with some last-minute reading, but IMO you're more likely to go into a panic when you see the paper and realise that all that last-minute stuff you looked at just isn't there.

My best results were achieved by smelling the roses all year up until a couple days prior to exams. Nothing like the sheer pressure, drug cocktails (caffeine, noopept etc) and pre workout to get you in that tunnel vision, laser focus mode of thought. 

Traditional studying is dying, there are far more efficient ways to go about VCE success (and even beyond). And this is coming from a future teacher lol. 
Oh you're gonna read a book? Lols I'll listen to the audiobook while falling asleep and retain information better. 

FWIW I got an ATAR in the high 80s by being true to myself. Alternative psychology is a beautiful thing. 

I would not be surprised if the ATAR entry system is abolished within the next two decades. In fact there are already talks about a portfolio entry system into Universities. 

My brother is 18 and doing VCE and I'll give you all the same advice I gave him: Don't stress, this is not the start or beginning of anything. You are 18, you can barely wipe your own arse and you want to choose what you wanna do for the rest of your life? I'm 25 and I've changed industries 3 times. Not because I had to, because I got bored and wanted to. Life's easy. Unless you're retarded, fat and ugly.

Keep smellin the roses u nerdy virgins

• Like 5

On 26/10/2017 at 11:32 AM, strider said:

My best results were achieved by smelling the roses all year up until a couple days prior to exams. Nothing like the sheer pressure, drug cocktails (caffeine, noopept etc) and pre workout to get you in that tunnel vision, laser focus mode of thought. 

Traditional studying is dying, there are far more efficient ways to go about VCE success (and even beyond). And this is coming from a future teacher lol. 
Oh you're gonna read a book? Lols I'll listen to the audiobook while falling asleep and retain information better. 

FWIW I got an ATAR in the high 80s by being true to myself. Alternative psychology is a beautiful thing. 

I would not be surprised if the ATAR entry system is abolished within the next two decades. In fact there are already talks about a portfolio entry system into Universities. 

My brother is 18 and doing VCE and I'll give you all the same advice I gave him: Don't stress, this is not the start or beginning of anything. You are 18, you can barely wipe your own arse and you want to choose what you wanna do for the rest of your life? I'm 25 and I've changed industries 3 times. Not because I had to, because I got bored and wanted to. Life's easy. Unless you're retarded, fat and ugly.

A few truths about studying (trust me I spent 23 years studying):

1.Cramming works. 

2. It's never too late to learn something 

3. You can make all the excuses you like for bludging, but in the end it's just bludging, so get over yourself 

As an aside Queensland have a very similar system to the ATAr which they abandoned whilst the rest of the country adopted it. Go figure.

• Like 2

Learnt the whole of constitutional law in 3 days locked in my apartment with modafonil 

• Like 2

I 100% agree, achieved 93 ATAR cruising the entire 2 senior years and doing past papers two weeks before exams. The one thing that I rode on was having a good writing style.

• Like 2

TTIM:

Shit Journalism.

Click on an ABC story about the Rugby League World Cup only to get a few lines in and giving up after they refer to it as "Rugby" (that's rugby union) and then refer to it as "the game they play in heaven" (rugby union again). 

Now I get that a Melbourne cabby wouldn't know or the care about the difference between these two games but when you have been paid to write about it surely you'd get your facts right? Also was the editor on holidays?

Unfortunately for the abc, readers outside of Melbourne will see this "article".

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1