Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

6 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Waiting in the lounge now to fly to Berlin for the marathon. I find it so hard to drop weight when training. 

I figured you'd be on your skates soon, so here it is:

Best wishes in your first marathon fortress. You only get one first Mara, enjoy it! 

ps it's bloody hard to lose weight training for one, you get so hungry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I figured you'd be on your skates soon, so here it is:

Best wishes in your first marathon fortress. You only get one first Mara, enjoy it! 

ps it's bloody hard to lose weight training for one, you get so hungry.

I just look forward to the day my legs don't hurt. Forgotten that feeling. Good luck with your last few weeks before Melbourne, having just come off them I know they're the worst haha

• Like 1

TTIM : Bullshit double standard of the "right to self determination", where is Catalonia's right to self determination? If some Balkan country was sending tanks and ships full of police and arresting people over an independence referendum there'd be some UN resolution to bomb the fuck out of it right now.

• Like 3

On 9/28/2017 at 2:11 AM, Tesla said:

TTIM : Bullshit double standard of the "right to self determination", where is Catalonia's right to self determination? If some Balkan country was sending tanks and ships full of police and arresting people over an independence referendum there'd be some UN resolution to bomb the fuck out of it right now.

Shows the superiority of the Iberian mind. First, Madrid gives the regions the right to determine which footpaths get fixed (the autonomy bit), then they wait for Trump and Brexit. After that, the EU will say nothing.

TTIM: The fact that the universe is a simulation and not one individual matters in the grand scheme of things; emotions are just electrical signals firing in a certain way. Happiness doesn't exist, and the state of being happy is not real, it just means that your biology is working out correctly so your penis can continue to slot into moots so your descendants can do the same for no particular reason other than to recycle energy

8 hours ago, jeffplz said:

TTIM: The fact that the universe is a simulation and not one individual matters in the grand scheme of things; emotions are just electrical signals firing in a certain way. Happiness doesn't exist, and the state of being happy is not real, it just means that your biology is working out correctly so your penis can continue to slot into moots so your descendants can do the same for no particular reason other than to recycle energy

Should be a TTDIM tbh. Nothing matters do whatever the fuck you want :up:

• Like 1

TTIM: Nihilists.

What a depressing waste of time that is. It's almost never "nothing matters, I'll do whatever I want". What usually happens instead is "Nothing matters, so I'll a be mopey cunt and do nothing but bitch". Which gets people to the ironic position of living meaningless lives only because they think life is meaningless.

Another TTIM is how nihilism seems to be a growing trend, which is probably why Rick & Morty is so popular. I don't think it's a coincidence that this rise has coincided with a growing depression epidemic. I was raised without religion but I really fear the godless society we're becoming. That's if Islam doesn't take over to fill the moral void.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

TTIM: "Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people"... yea fair enough but give the guy in Las Vegas a stick or even a hand gun and see if he could inflict even close to the same amount of damage.

Or give him a truck and see. Or a homemade bomb. Over the top gun control doesn't stop shit like this from happening. 

TTIM: the usual 'Australia banned guns after a mass shooting and fixed everything herp derp' despite there being no statistical evidence to support the claim. 

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Or give him a truck and see. Or a homemade bomb. Over the top gun control doesn't stop shit like this from happening. 

TTIM: the usual 'Australia banned guns after a mass shooting and fixed everything herp derp' despite there being no statistical evidence to support the claim. 

Fair enough. I agree to an extent. But this doesn't include all the single, double, triple gun murders that happen everyday (and not reported internationally).

If this guy just snapped though, its much easier to grab your trusty automatic rifle  then to spend time to create a bomb or hire out a truck and take all that time to think about whats going on.   Terrorism is a whole other level, those guys spend majority of their days planning out to kill people, whereas guys like this and most school shooters are just people fucked in the head that just crack and a gun is the easiest thing to grab. 

Edited by haz

7 hours ago, haz said:

Fair enough. I agree to an extent. But this doesn't include all the single, double, triple gun murders that happen everyday (and not reported internationally).

If this guy just snapped though, its much easier to grab your trusty automatic rifle  then to spend time to create a bomb or hire out a truck and take all that time to think about whats going on.   Terrorism is a whole other level, those guys spend majority of their days planning out to kill people, whereas guys like this and most school shooters are just people fucked in the head that just crack and a gun is the easiest thing to grab. 

The bloke emassed an arsenal, drove hours and hired out a hotel room. I'm pretty sure he spent some time thinking through what he was going to do.

20 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The bloke emassed an arsenal, drove hours and hired out a hotel room. I'm pretty sure he spent some time thinking through what he was going to do.

But it was with his guns. Not the car he drove

• Like 1

This guy had 15+ guns... What was he trying to "defend" himself against? I'm all for the Americans following the 2nd amendment but being able to legally(!) own that many guns including high powered rifles is mind boggling.

11 hours ago, Tesla said:

Because of your youth you have conveniently overlooked ( or simply just don't know about them) all the other mass shootings that occurred before Port Arthur . I reckon there was at least 3 in Melbourne alone and due to our propensity to adopt all things Yank, I would expect we'd have had quite a few since if not for the gun laws.

Relevant stats you are overlooking:

Gun massacres since gun laws were tightened = zero.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, haz said:

But it was with his guns. Not the car he drove

What? I was responding to your "other methods take longer so he would've thought it through" argument.

2 hours ago, haz said:

This guy had 15+ guns... What was he trying to "defend" himself against? I'm all for the Americans following the 2nd amendment but being able to legally(!) own that many guns including high powered rifles is mind boggling.

Defending yourself from the state is enough of a reason to own a gun imo.

30 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Because of your youth you have conveniently overlooked ( or simply just don't know about them) all the other mass shootings that occurred before Port Arthur . I reckon there was at least 3 in Melbourne alone and due to our propensity to adopt all things Yank, I would expect we'd have had quite a few since if not for the gun laws.

I'm pretty sure that gun violence just dropped off at the same rate it already was and the laws didn't have any great effect on crime from a purely statistical significant stand point. Could be wrong it's been a while since I read up on this stuff.

Meh, whilst I think our gun laws are a great thing and would not want them loosened, it's more than just the second amendment that causes these American massacres. Guns are just a weird part of their culture. Canada has a comparable gun ownership rate to the US but has nowhere near as much violence. The laws will never change and neither will their culture unfortunately. Recommend watching Bowling For Columbine as it provides a pretty good insight into this stuff.

*EDIT* inb4 "Michael Moore lefty cuck scum"

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Can I ask what age bracket you're in Jimmy? Im early 20s, Im not left or right wing, just pissed that someone can gun down 400+ people killing 50+ Men, Women with legally owned assault rifles.

So from Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution (I know its not a perfect source), the 2nd Amendment was written in 1791, 226 years ago. At the time it was written there were no Ak47s, AR15, Bushmasters etc. since then we have had WW1 WW2 Vietnam war etc. The reason the 2nd Amendment was made was to let civilians have enough power to overthrow a rouge government, but once again this was 200 years ago.  

Im not an United States citizen so I respect their amendments but I think its absurd that you can buy and own dozens of assaults rifles etc.  A hand gun and single-shot hunting rifle should be the maximum allowed.

As @GreenSeater its part of the American culture it will never change particuly while a government is in charge which is pro-guns. The only chance of any sort of change would be if one of Trumps kids gets gunned down by a white United States Citizen.

Also how did this guy get all these guns into his hotel room unnoticed?

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Not sure that argument in particular carries much weight these days. Lets be honest, if a full scale civil war broke out, guns aint saving anyone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

That's not how statistical evidence works, there have been studys done that show the only significant effect that the post port arthur gun laws have had is on gun related suicides.

Anyway, point is I dont see why every time this stuff happens the whole of Australia need to go on about US gun laws when the US is a separate country, a strong democracy, can choose their laws themselves, and when our own gun laws arent even proven to be effective.

TBH I dont get why people in Australia care so much in the first place, if everyone is so sure that our gun laws stop this from happening here then it might as well be classified with all the deaths in the middle east and africa that we dont care about because they cant happen here.

46 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Not sure that argument in particular carries much weight these days. Lets be honest, if a full scale civil war broke out, guns aint saving anyone.

Quoting Jim Jeffries, "Dont bring a gun to a drone fight" Ha+ 

• Like 3

The argument isn't that an armed citizenry would be able to beat any military in conflict. I don't think that's ever been true. 

But an armed citizenry will be able to do enough damage and any conflict would be so bloody that it's sufficient to act as an effective deterrent to tyranny.

North Korea haven't been developing nuclear weaponry for decades because they think they'll win armed conflict. The regime is simply self interested and nuclear capability is a great deterrent for the kind foreign intervention undertaken by the US in the middle east. Plus people tend to treat you with a bit more respect when you have such capabilities. It's the same thing on a different scale.

2 hours ago, haz said:

Can I ask what age bracket you're in Jimmy? Im early 20s, Im not left or right wing, just pissed that someone can gun down 400+ people killing 50+ Men, Women with legally owned assault rifles.

I'm just a humble 62 year old Camel milker.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

That's not how statistical evidence works, there have been studys done that show the only significant effect that the post port arthur gun laws have had is on gun related suicides.

Anyway, point is I dont see why every time this stuff happens the whole of Australia need to go on about US gun laws when the US is a separate country, a strong democracy, can choose their laws themselves, and when our own gun laws arent even proven to be effective.

TBH I dont get why people in Australia care so much in the first place, if everyone is so sure that our gun laws stop this from happening here then it might as well be classified with all the deaths in the middle east and africa that we dont care about because they cant happen here.

Come on you are not actually serious?

A significant amount of innocent people who live a very similar lifestyle to us Australians just got massacred... and you wonder why people care about this cases in America?

TBH I am kind of sacred you need to ask such a question?

Its called being Human, if you just try to even think about when "Mass Genocide" became something that was "News Worthy" to Humans god knows where u would start.

In regards to other it being News Worthy to PPL on earth from a similar type of civilisation then you would be going back to Probably before the written word to when such tales would have been pasted on only verbally.

That is a fucken long time... For Human Beings to show a particular emotion to a certain type of news.

I mean if this shooting is not News Worthy then what fucken is more News Worthy? Daniel Andrew's wasting money on a new bridge?

Edited by cadete

TTIM: The Zippy bloke who is the last in the list of the Midfield Rotations (Including Running HB's and High HF's) in the Flag Winning Side on GF Day.

Every year some spud plays their best game of the year because the opposition cannot afford to be accountable to every player in the opposition's midfield stocks if they want to win the game... and then we have to hear about it for a whole year before the Media decide the may have gone early. Houli now joins the ranks of Jetta, Langford, Johansson and of course Travis Varcoe.

TTDIM: Of course Dusty was bloody MOM and not Houli... one bloke had a whole opposition minding him and the other had nobody.

3 minutes ago, cadete said:

TTIM: The Zippy bloke who is the last in the list of the Midfield Rotations (Including Running HB's and High HF's) in the Flag Winning Side on GF Day.

Every year some spud plays their best game of the year because the opposition cannot afford to be accountable to every player in the opposition's midfield stocks if they want to win the game... and then we have to hear about it for a whole year before the Media decide the may have gone early. Houli now joins the ranks of Jetta, Langford, Johansson and of course Travis Varcoe.

TTDIM: Of course Dusty was bloody MOM and not Houli... one bloke had a whole opposition minding him and the other had nobody.

I think you're both right and wrong there. Of course the media will overrate him as a player based on that game, but for me there's no doubt Houli was best on ground on the day. He did the most damage, who was playing on who doesnt mean shit imo. I still dont think he's that good a player, but he had the best game of his career on the day and good luck to him.

As a comparative, Johannisen had heaps of it last year, but was nowhere near the most damaging player on the park. Boyd and Picken, and even Kennedy had far greater influence on the outcome.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think you're both right and wrong there. Of course the media will overrate him as a player based on that game, but for me there's no doubt Houli was best on ground on the day. He did the most damage, who was playing on who doesnt mean shit imo. I still dont think he's that good a player, but he had the best game of his career on the day and good luck to him.

As a comparative, Johannisen had heaps of it last year, but was nowhere near the most damaging player on the park. Boyd and Picken, and even Kennedy had far greater influence on the outcome.

Still it happens every Season...

Also the AFL Season is now a farce and if you list its attributes reads exactly for what it is which is a "Betting Schedule" with Minor Relevance to the Eventual Premier.  (I know I always make similar points on this front but a lot more pointless games in or out of finals is just overkill for me.)

Just look at the features of the AFL Home and Away Season:

1. Despite there being 18 teams all teams play 23 rounds as selected by the League.
  2. All 23 weeks featuring a rolling schedule of matches play as often as possible after each another... sounds like Sky Racing One.
  3. After the 23 weeks - 8/18 clubs get a Finals Berth... so what was the 23 long weeks for?
  4. After the 23 weeks the Minor Premier who played best of that insanely long Season as decided by the AFL receives often the same advantages of the Fourth placed Side. 
  5. Another beauty of 23 weeks of footy is that sides can never go at 100% in all of them so they put the cue in the rack for certain game before or even during... which is a perfect unpredictable game odds changer for anyone offering odds on a game.

If we want to talk like we have a Professional Game then make it Everyone plays each once and has the same amount of Home Games. Then as importantly we should go back to a Final Five where the Minor Premier get a reward above everyone else, three and second get a decent reward and fourth and fifth deserve to be there. (Plus you still get Four Weeks of Finals).

An easy to understand system like the above would also improve recruiting because its become even more apparent of late (ESP in 2017) in the State League's that due to the Two Expansion Clubs necessary emphasis on Youth when initially recruiting has damaged the quality of play.

Even more so than usual we have a flood of High Draft Picks who are not up to the grade being left in the Professional Arena taking Seasons away from more capable players who should be Professionals but did not get recruited at 18 and so have to knock the door through at State Level for recognition from AFL Scouts.

(This also happened in the past with an influx of players from WA and then SA in the early 90's when Victorian Clubs worried about the Colossal State Zones that the WCE and then the Crows had saw some pretty average players from these states picked up a lot earlier than they should... the effects being felt in the 1997, 1998 Seasons.)

NOTE: Sorry should prob be in the AFL thread... but still relevant to an TTIM Thread. :P

Edited by cadete

8 minutes ago, cadete said:

Still it happens every Season...

Also the AFL Season is now a farce and if you list its attributes reads exactly for what it is which is a "Betting Schedule" with Minor Relevance to the Eventual Premier.  (I know I always make similar points on this front but a lot more pointless games in or out of finals is just overkill for me.)

Just look at the features of the AFL Home and Away Season:

1. Despite there being 18 teams all teams play 23 rounds as selected by the League.
  2. All 23 weeks featuring a rolling schedule of matches play as often as possible after each another... sounds like Sky Racing One.
  3. After the 23 weeks - 8/18 clubs get a Finals Berth... so what was the 23 long weeks for?
  4. After the 23 weeks the Minor Premier who played best of that insanely long Season as decided by the AFL receives often the same advantages of the Fourth placed Side. 
  5. Another beauty of 23 weeks of footy is that sides can never go at 100% in all of them so they put the cue in the rack for certain game before or even during... which is a perfect unpredictable game odds changer for anyone offering odds on a game.

If we want to talk like we have a Professional Game then make it Everyone plays each once and has the same amount of Home Games. Then as importantly we should go back to a Final Five where the Minor Premier get a reward above everyone else, three and second get a decent reward and fourth and fifth deserve to be there. (Plus you still get Four Weeks of Finals).

An easy to understand system like the above would also improve recruiting because its become even more apparent of late (ESP in 2017) in the State League's that due to the Two Expansion Clubs necessary emphasis on Youth when initially recruiting has damaged the quality of play.

Even more so than usual we have a flood of High Draft Picks who are not up to the grade being left in the Professional Arena taking Seasons away from more capable players who should be Professionals but did not get recruited at 18 and so have to knock the door through at State Level for recognition from AFL Scouts.

(This also happened in the past with an influx of players from WA and then SA in the early 90's when Victorian Clubs worried about the Colossal State Zones that the WCE and then the Crows had saw some pretty average players from these states picked up a lot earlier than they should... the effects being felt in the 1997, 1998 Seasons.)

But the important thing was that i had an onion on my belt.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1