Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

Speed is only a small part of the issue.

There are many European countries that have more drivers, high speed limits and lower road tolls.

They have to take a pretty intense driving course in many weather conditions before they get anywhere near a test. That's the difference. Driver skill and education (safe cars and better roads to a certain extent too.)

Last time I was in Europe I didn't see 1 idiot going slow in fast lane on the freeway, no burnouts (or even tire marks) on residential streets and no one speeding like a nut...

On the way back from melbourne airport to the s.e suburbs I saw all of those.

Edited by HeartFc

Last time I was in Europe I didn't see 1 idiot going slow in fast lane on the freeway, no burnouts (or even tire marks) on residential streets and no one speeding like a nut...

And all done by your taxi driver

• Like 1

TTIM: Speed cops

Great work you fuckheads making sure that people aren't 3 fucking km's over an 80km/h speed limit, a $180 fine and 2 demerit points is not an over reaction for something as fucking terrible as this.

There are cold cases that are still unsolved after 40 years, some fucking ice epidemic going on that seems to be nowhere near being solved but good thing we can sit in our cars and eat fucking donuts all day and book people for the real fucking Carl Williams-esq crime of going 3km/h over the speed limit.

Fuck off

Road accidents kill more people per year than ice

Road accidents is very broad though.

Doesn't take into account people driving under the influence, on drugs, bad weather ext.

I bet you more people die a year on ice then rebels going 3km/h over the speed limit.

I agree dickheads who are going 15/20km/h fine, their fuckheads, book them but 3? Fucken 3?

I'm still on my p's so now i'm going to have to drive fucken 10k's under the limit now just so Ken lay can get his beach house in Hawaii.

TBH I don't know the stats, but I am pretty sure the vast majority of road deaths are on rural roads. I'd say most of those would be people losing focus / falling asleep.

And when there are roads with 60 km/h speed limits that are better standard than most 80 km/h roads I don't see whats wrong with speeding 20 km/h.

Poorly set speed limits are a bigger problem than people getting fined for being 3 km/h over.

BTW, most people don't realise their speedo is made to overstate their speed, so fact is as far as you know you were probably like 8 km/h over and now you're being a bit of a cheeky cunt claiming innocence for being 3 km/h over :up:

I don't know what side of the city you live in mate but to get to work i drive along mickleham road to get to work in cragieburn.

It's a pretty notorious road for speed cameras (have always done the speed limit there) but there is litually a stretch of road lucky to be 100m's long in front of Westmeadows footy club where you have to go 70km/h but at the first set of lights the whole road goes into 80km/h.

The earlier part of the road is on a hill though so i reckon they must of fucking got me going downhill or some bullshit. To lose 2 demerit points for that just kills me. You would've thought going like 10km/h over the limit or around there would warrent such a severe punishment.

Agree with your assement on speed limits though

Serves you right for taking the shit route to Craigieburn.

And all done by your taxi driver

Haha ye I'll pay that.

@Malloy

I didn't deserve shit, the part of the road where i got done is a short stretch where you have to do 70. Generally the speed cops aren't on Micklehem road until it goes to 80 which is the notorious part for speed cameras. The part i got done too is on a hill, so now it makes it even more bullshit cause when you're going down hill surprise, surprise, your car goes faster for a little bit. Wheres the little lee-way for the driver?

@Hediak

Where the cut off point then mate? If you're happy for people to be fined for going 3km/h over the limit why not just fine people for going 1 or 2km/h over? I'm happy to concede that if you're going 5km/h or more over then you deserve to be done but why only fine people from 3km/h and onwards? Do the cops have some type of evidence to justify this cut off? Or did they just want a nice bonus on their next pay check?

@Malimate

I work in the newer part of Cragieburn so Mickleham rd is actually the quickest way to get there. Also has the total tools shop along there so i can get shit for work on the way if needs be.

@Hediak

Where the cut off point then mate? If you're happy for people to be fined for going 3km/h over the limit why not just fine people for going 1 or 2km/h over? I'm happy to concede that if you're going 5km/h or more over then you deserve to be done but why only fine people from 3km/h and onwards? Do the cops have some type of evidence to justify this cut off? Or did they just want a nice bonus on their next pay check?

The cut off point is the black number in the red circle. 

Vic Roads sets the limits, not the police. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

The cut off point is the black number in the red circle.

So, if you don't have cruise control, you're meant to pay more attention to your speedometer than the road to make sure you don't accidentally go 3 km/h?

It's quite justified to give a bit more leeway (eg 5 km/h).

And yes I know the two arguments that are coming up:

1. You should drive 5km/h under and that's your leeway. Well as the Soloman curve shows, driving slower than other drivers put you at greater danger, so that's not a good idea.

2. People will just take the leeway as an addition to the speed limit and drive right up to it. True, I would, but most people will just follow what's in the circle regardless of the leeway so I don't think it makes a difference.

I constantly drive 2/3km above the speed limit (which includes driving the whole length of the Eastern Freeway plus the tunnel every fortnight) without cruise control and I havent been done for speeding for 14 years. So I'm assuming these people getting picked up for driving 2/3kmh over the limit actually are doing 5kmh over on their speedo. 

And Id be surprised if 1% of people on the roads have ever heard of Solomons Curve. Its the type of thing people use to justify their speeding, rather than WHY people speed. And if you really did follow the curve, youd probably be doing well below the speed limit as Im usually the fastest on the road even by following the limit. 

Edited by hedaik

I constantly drive 2/3km above the speed limit (which includes driving the whole length of the Eastern Freeway plus the tunnel every fortnight) without cruise control and I havent been done for speeding for 14 years. So I'm assuming these people getting picked up for driving 2/3kmh over the limit actually are doing 5kmh over on their speedo.

Well yeah if someone is caught doing 2/3km over the speed limit they're probably doing like 6/7km over on their speedo. But if you know how much your speedo overstates it (not too hard as there are those speed measuring things on a couple of the freeways heading out of town), you're obviously going to adjust for that so you actually are going at the speed you want to. Just because speedos generally overstate speed doesn't mean that should be factored into the leeway. The leeway should be on top of the actual speed.

Edited by Tesla

For me, based on my driving ability, the conditions around me, the knowledge I have of the capabilities of my car, and speed limits that have not been updated in decades during a time when drum and basic disc brakes were the norm I know I can drive anywhere up to 20kmh above the speed limit safely.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

TTIM: Those waving Greek flags watching the Groth v Kokkinakis match at the Aus Open. The bloke is born and bred here has always represented Australia but for some reason there's a certain few still trying to claim him. I spose not to much else positive to claim at the moment.

As a kid I remember asking my Grandpa why they did the same for a young Pete Sampras... but it seem to faze out once he became the biggest name in tennis and represented the USA at the Olympics.

Edited by cadete

TTIM: Those waving Greek flags watching the Groth v Kokkinakis match at the Aus Open. The bloke is born and bred here has always represented Australia but for some reason there's a certain few still trying to claim him. I spose not to much else positive to claim at the moment.

I'm not saying this is the case with Kokkinakis nor am I advocating it but a number of professional sportsman grow up within their local cultural communities and associate with them. To that cultural community that sportsman will always represent them.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

kingofhearts, until recently there was 10 km/h lee-way for down hill but it was costing too much revenue so they got rid of it.

Fucken of course lol. How bout that for timing?

I'm tempted to challenge it considering this is my first time getting a speeding fine ever, i'm hoping my good reckon might help me get out of it.

kingofhearts, until recently there was 10 km/h lee-way for down hill but it was costing too much revenue so they got rid of it.

I'm tempted to challenge it considering this is my first time getting a speeding fine ever, i'm hoping my good reckon might help me get out of it.

If it's your first then you should get out of it. A lot of people don't know that, but your first you can get out of and if you haven't had a fine for 3 years or 5 years (I forget) you can get out of it.

I'm tempted to challenge it considering this is my first time getting a speeding fine ever, i'm hoping my good reckon might help me get out of it. That works. Do it.

If it's your first then you should get out of it. A lot of people don't know that, but your first you can get out of and if you haven't had a fine for 3 years or 5 years (I forget) you can get out of it.

It's no more than 3 years, may even be 2.

The only speeding fine I have ever had to pay was for doing 45 in a 20 zone. Knox City shopping centre carpark at 11:40pm after finishing work. No one was around and the only dangers present at that time were the cops sitting in the dark waiting to ping people! The only grace I will give them is that I was most likely doing 3-5kms/hr more, and that if the more cunty of the two had dealt with it I probably would have been done for 'hooning' and lost my licence! I was furious, but decided it was probably in my best interest to shut the fuck up and just cop it on the chin.

So yeah, quit complaining til you have something like this happen to you.

I'm tempted to challenge it considering this is my first time getting a speeding fine ever, i'm hoping my good reckon might help me get out of it. That works. Do it.

Yeah do it Kaiser and report back! :up:

I'm tempted to challenge it considering this is my first time getting a speeding fine ever, i'm hoping my good reckon might help me get out of it. If it's your first then you should get out of it. A lot of people don't know that, but your first you can get out of and if you haven't had a fine for 3 years or 5 years (I forget) you can get out of it.

I'll have to ring them after work today then.

i'll keep you updated on the king vs Vic police