Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

Ok I'm not going to claim to know every football manager in the world, but considering our squad, our league & our challenges this is what i want.

A gaffer who:

• wants to play possession attacking football, with wide players (we have the squad for it) 
  • is a hard arse that demands 100% from his squad and makes sure he gets it
  • has had at least 3 seasons as head coach at a decent level, with a winning track record

• And someone who can put together a team on a budget/salary cap

• And someone who can put together a team on a budget/salary cap

I don't really see this as a prerequisite. The sports that I know the most about (both on and off the field of play) are basketball and Australian Rules. In those sports and really, in all the US sports, it's a general manager (US sports) or lis manager (AFL) that makes the decisions on the playing roster. Of course, the coach has to have some input with regards to the type of players that he needs, but I see no reason why JVS or our next manager needs to do the bulk of the work in that regard. And the players salaries should be well out of his jurisdiction.

I don't really see this as a prerequisite. The sports that I know the most about (both on and off the field of play) are basketball and Australian Rules. In those sports and really, in all the US sports, it's a general manager (US sports) or lis manager (AFL) that makes the decisions on the playing roster. Of course, the coach has to have some input with regards to the type of players that he needs, but I see no reason why JVS or our next manager needs to do the bulk of the work in that regard. And the players salaries should be well out of his jurisdiction.

Its not really the wage constraints, thats obviously someones job higher then JVS.

I was referring more to that the manager wil have to be able to manage a team of spuds due to the salary cap not allowing a team of Mooys. Because I'm certain even Pep couldn't manage CCM or Jets

Ok I'm not going to claim to know every football manager in the world, but considering our squad, our league & our challenges this is what i want.

A gaffer who:

• wants to play possession attacking football, with wide players (we have the squad for it) 
  • has had at least 3 seasons as head coach at a decent level, with a winning track record

Come to the conclusion, I should be manager. Young and want to be a coach when I'm older, would be the perfect fit!

As has been well articulated elsewhere, it would be very out of character for CFG to move a coach on before the end of the season. Maybe they would do it mid-way through the season around Christmas, if there was a disastrous run of results, but I expect any changes with the coaching staff (and other club staff) would happen at the end of the season. 

For what it's worth here's my top 3 preferences:

1. Ante Milicic - As assistant coach to Ange Postecoglou he won the Asian Cup with the Socceros this year, and he was with WSW when they finished 1st (12/13) and 2nd (13/14)

2. Josep Gombau - Produces an impressive 'pure' style of attacking football, and can get results, such as when Adelaide won the FFA Cup. Knows the A-league very well

3. Mike Mulvey - Finished 1st with Brisbane and won the grand final. Another good local choice who knows the A-League very well, and plays a decent style of football

IMO Milicic doesn't have a bad association with our club, as he left before things really became pear shaped during our 3rd season. Milicic has been apart of some very successful coaching teams, and he has A-League, ACL, Asian Cup and World Cup (assistant) coaching experience. I reckon if Milicic were to return it would be the best reunion this club has ever had, and I'd be confident with him at the helm as coach.

Anyway, as noted at the start, no upheaval is likely before season's end, so the question is how the team plays over the medium and short terms, starting Thursday against Adelaide.

As has been well articulated elsewhere, it would be very out of character for CFG to move a coach on before the end of the season. Maybe they would do it mid-way through the season around Christmas, if there was a disastrous run of results, but I expect any changes with the coaching staff (and other club staff) would happen at the end of the season. 

1. Ante Milicic - As assistant coach to Ange Postecoglou he won the Asian Cup with the Socceros this year, and he was with WSW when they finished 1st (12/13) and 2nd (13/14)

2. Josep Gombau - Produces an impressive 'pure' style of attacking football, and can get results, such as when Adelaide won the FFA Cup. Knows the A-league very well

3. Mike Mulvey - Finished 1st with Brisbane and won the grand final. Another good local choice who knows the A-League very well, and plays a decent style of football

IMO Milicic doesn't have a bad association with our club, as he left before things really became pear shaped during our 3rd season. Milicic has been apart of some very successful coaching teams, and he has A-League, ACL, Asian Cup and World Cup (assistant) coaching experience. I reckon if Milicic were to return it would be the best reunion this club has ever had, and I'd be confident with him at the helm as coach.

Anyway, as noted at the start, no upheaval is likely before season's end, so the question is how the team plays over the medium and short terms, starting Thursday against Adelaide.

Mark Hughes we sacked in December 2009

They don't always wait until the end of the season Murfy. It all depends on how results and performances go.

Mark Hughes we sacked in December 2009

They don't always wait until the end of the season Murfy. It all depends on how results and performances go.

Correct. And heres some quotes at the time from the media:

"When we sat in front of Hughes at Eastlands after a deserved win against Chelsea and listened to him speak with such force about the club's future direction, it was nigh-on impossible to imagine he would be shown the door inside 14 days.

It appears the sands shifted fatally beneath Hughes after the 3-0 defeat at Spurs on Wednesday, his fate decided even before the 4-3 win against Sunderland that at least allowed him to end his reign with dignity and victory."

I have seen Milicic as a guest commentator on SBS. Knows his stuff but for me he is too quiet. I think we need a stronger personality.

Gombau would be great but if his reasons for leaving Adelaide were true (he wanted to be closer to his family in Spain) then why would he come back. Then there is the new vacancy at NYCFC.

Mulvey is a reasonable candidate. But I still don't know why he was sacked and whether there was a dispute with the players. And somehow given the amount of money that the club owners have invested I don't see why other candidates should not be considered. Sadly I don't know too much about football in other countries where there may be available candidates that I've not heard of. There may even be a possible candidate at Man City that could be looking at a move.

A gaffer who:

I actually think this is pretty close to the mark. In "management speak" these would be my "musts" - non-negotiables. In other words, we shouldn't even look at any candidate who does not meet these criteria.

A gaffer who:

Yes yes yes and Yes !!!

Of the list of A-League managers (matches, %wins) I would suggest only two should be considered:

Arnold (136, 52.67%);

Mulvey (61, 47.54%).

Josep Gombau (57, 43.86%) probably has a reasonable record, but I don't know enough about him to know whether he is sufficiently hard-arsed to pull our squad into shape.

I'd also suggest that an assistant coach from Manchester should be added, because IMO the group mentality problem at City is too deep-rooted for one man to handle all on his own.

• Like 1

Worth noting that New York have sacked their manager after just one season in charge. 

True, he was in charge for one season, but as NYCFC also made clear in their statement they feel they gave him 2 years to build the team and compete for success:

Speaking of the decision, New York City FC President Tom Glick, said:

“The decision to part company with Jason and his team after two years of working together has not been taken lightly and this is a difficult announcement for all involved.   

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/11/02/jason-kreis-leaves-post-new-york-city-fc-head-coach

So whilst CFG don't always wait until the end of the season for coaching changes, it does seem that they try to give their coaches a significant amount of time to prove what they can do, especially with regards to their expansion club teams. So IMO it would take a catastrophic run of results for CFG to take a punt on a new coach mid-season.

Another thing worth noting is that CFG consciously selected coaches for Melbourne City and NYCFC, Kreis and JVS, who were experienced in their respective leagues. I'd say any new coach for us would likely have ample experience with the A-League, such as Milicic, Gombau and Mulvey.

With regards to Milicic, rather like Luciano Trani, he has a reputation for being able to fire up players on the pitch. So I wouldn't take much notice of how he looks in front of TV cameras, fielding questions from journalists and so on. He is known to be a capable man manager, as you'd expect from the no. 2 coach at WSW between 2012 and 2014 and the Socceroos during the 2015 Asian Cup.

I still think we need a coach who has proven himself as a head coach/manager at a senior level. Kreis already had done that, JvS had not. Milicic has not to my knowledge been a head coach at the level I think is required to kick arse at an A-League level.

True, he was in charge for one season, but as NYCFC also made clear in their statement they feel they gave him 2 years to build the team and compete for success:

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/11/02/jason-kreis-leaves-post-new-york-city-fc-head-coach

So whilst CFG don't always wait until the end of the season for coaching changes, it does seem that they try to give their coaches a significant amount of time to prove what they can do, especially with regards to their expansion club teams. So IMO it would take a catastrophic run of results for CFG to take a punt on a new coach mid-season.

Another thing worth noting is that CFG consciously selected coaches for Melbourne City and NYCFC, Kreis and JVS, who were experienced in their respective leagues. I'd say any new coach for us would likely have ample experience with the A-League, such as Milicic, Gombau and Mulvey.

With regards to Milicic, rather like Luciano Trani, he has a reputation for being able to fire up players on the pitch. So I wouldn't take much notice of how he looks in front of TV cameras, fielding questions from journalists and so on. He is known to be a capable man manager, as you'd expect from the no. 2 coach at WSW between 2012 and 2014 and the Socceroos during the 2015 Asian Cup.

Just having a look at the Man City coaching positions since CFG took them over: they kept Hughes to see what he could do, then was replaced by Mancini who in turn was replaced by Pelligrini, neither having had EPL experience. So I don't think that the new coach would necessarily have experience in the A-League. it is possible but right now I would think unlikely.

Just having a look at the Man City coaching positions since CFG took them over: they kept Hughes to see what he could do, then was replaced by Mancini who in turn was replaced by Pelligrini, neither having had EPL experience. So I don't think that the new coach would necessarily have experience in the A-League. it is possible but right now I would think unlikely.

Apples and oranges. The MLS and the A-League are both salary capped leagues, with various other strange rules and more that make local knowledge more valuable than usual. The EPL is one of Europe's big leagues, and broadly speaking it is interchangeable with La Liga, the Bundesliga and Serie A.

For what it's worth I think a quality coach with no A-League experience could come into the A-League and do well, even though there would almost inevitably be a significant learning curve (just like there was with Gombau, who was pretty unsuccessful for his whole first season, finishing 6th and being knocked out in the first week of the finals). But going off CFG's previous coaching appointments to NYCFC and us, where they signed 2 coaches in Jason Kreis and JVS who had spent multiple seasons coaching in their respective leagues, I'm rather sure CFG want local knowledge/experience with their appointments to NYCFC and Melbourne City. Also their admin appointments support this view, with Scott Munn being retained in our case and Tim Pernetti being the first president and Claudio Reyna being the director of football in NYCFC's case.

A gaffer who:

I just want someone who will get results.

I don't care if our tactics are Melling breaking cunts legs and then someone hitting a long ball to Bruno, as long as we win games.

• Like 1

I just want someone who will get results.

I don't care if our tactics are Melling breaking cunts legs and then someone hitting a long ball to Bruno, as long as we win games.

I feel substance (not tan) is also important but I certainly understand how you currently feel. Our current current manager has poor results and football with 10 minutes of substance and the rest a mixed bag from poor to under 12's level.

Apples and oranges. The MLS and the A-League are both salary capped leagues, with various other strange rules and more that make local knowledge more valuable than usual. The EPL is one of Europe's big leagues, and broadly speaking it is interchangeable with La Liga, the Bundesliga and Serie A.

For what it's worth I think a quality coach with no A-League experience could come into the A-League and do well, even though there would almost inevitably be a significant learning curve (just like there was with Gombau, who was pretty unsuccessful for his whole first season, finishing 6th and being knocked out in the first week of the finals). But going off CFG's previous coaching appointments to NYCFC and us, where they signed 2 coaches in Jason Kreis and JVS who had spent multiple seasons coaching in their respective leagues, I'm rather sure CFG want local knowledge/experience with their appointments to NYCFC and Melbourne City. Also their admin appointments support this view, with Scott Munn being retained in our case and Tim Pernetti being the first president and Claudio Reyna being the director of football in NYCFC's case.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. My thoughts are that CFG tried the local product as a starting point but then can easily source another coach from any other league. If I were in their shoes, I would be making a shadow appointment right now and getting the prospective coach swatting on the team and the league.

As many have pointed out the ranks of experienced, successful quality coaches in the A-League are rather thin. In reality the only successful coach waiting in the wings is Mulvey. Kosmina, Farina, Culina and GVE have all coached but been unsuccessful. Alistair Edwards did not coach long enough for anyone to make a proper assessment and his man management was lacking somewhat.

Taking a punt on a new coach that is familiar with the A-League you have Trani (current assistant), Chris Greenacres at WP (assistant to Merrick) and maybe Clayton Zane. Of course there is Milicic and he has been discussed already.

I will also add that Scott Millar is doing pretty well at the Jets right now, so I am not sure how critical local knowledge really is.

And on a side note, there is no reason why JVS could be dismissed soon and an interim coach appointed for the remainder of the season with no commitment by either side for next season whilst CFG look for a new manager. The obvious candidate would be Trani but if Hiddink does not replace Mourinho at Chelsea he may be tempted to spend the remainder of the season in Oz.

Grella believes had Hiddink been at the helm, the Socceroos of '97 would have been on their way to France and the Golden Generation label would have been bestowed upon them instead.

“If they'd had Hiddink I think they would have made the World Cup because the team at his disposal, even though they were missing Paul Okon, were, for me, just as strong as we were," he said.

“Guus brought a certain tactical awareness to our country that wasn't there before. His attention to detail was spot on and in the end that made the difference. He was the right man at the right time for us.

“The team he inherited was identical to the one which hadn’t done well at the Confederations Cup the year before (losing all three games)  - there were no massive changes.

“So why was there such a big change in performance and results? The reality is when you bring in a coach of Guus' stature, they bring stuff to the table that isn't there before.

"He gave us a no fear mentality against any opposition ... a lot of it was down to us being more tactically prepared and to have a coach of his level in our corner who believed in us."

Guus had repeatable structures that the players were drilled and disciplined at. You don't need great players to succeed at this, but you need a great manager to provide clarity and leadership to know exactly when to implement tactical change and for the players to be drilled and disciplined to execute the tactic.

Another great example is in 2006 ( I think) where the Greeks suffocated the great teams of Europe with there structure and discipline.

I would be more than happy to see a Drill Sargent type coach at MC.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A gaffer who:

• has had at least 3 seasons as head coach at a decent level

Roy Keane

Guus had repeatable structures that the players were drilled and disciplined at. You don't need great players to succeed at this, but you need a great manager to provide clarity and leadership to know exactly when to implement tactical change and for the players to be drilled and disciplined to execute the tactic.

Another great example is in 2006 ( I think) where the Greeks suffocated the great teams of Europe with there structure and discipline.

That was the German fella. He had a name for that tactic. Shit to watch but he won a European Championship and a few Bundesliga's

edit: found his name , Otto Rehhagel. 

Edited by Tonyboozeadams
i'm a sped
  • Like 1

Roy Keane

That was the German fella. He had a name for that tactic. Shit to watch but he won a European Championship and a few Bundesliga's

edit: found his name , Otto Rehhagel. 

Precisely my feelings , this is what our players need, we have to be able to PLAY 90 minutes of good football for goodness sake this half a game crap has to stop.

We only play 27 games after all not like in Europe where they play sometimes up to three games a week, yes i do know they have larger squads and are not salary capped but they play out the full 90 mins not fold their tent at half time and then forget to turn up for the second half.

Euro 2004 bro.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Guus Hiddink in the stands at Allianz watching Smurfs vs Tards. Seems at a loose end ATM  :up:

Wow, that's a pleasant surprise. I suppose then it's now okay for me to say that I was told about a week and a half ago from a source within the club that we've been in touch with Hiddink just putting the fellers out.

Seems like the talks have progressed to a far more formal stage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Wow, that's a pleasant surprise. I suppose then it's now okay for me to say that I was told about a week and a half ago from a source within the club that we've been in touch with Hiddink just putting the fellers out.

Seems like the talks have progressed to a far more formal stage.

Jimmy pls stop talkin shit cuz

Is it a coincidence that Hiddink is in the country when we're are struggling with results? I think not, there's something going on that's for sure. And lucky for Hiddink that while he's here in talks with us he can attend the ten year aniversary of qualifying for the World Cup. 

Edited by n i k o