Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

• 7 months later...

Whoever we sign as a manager will likely have its pros and cons.

Judging by some of the struggles it appears Adelaide are experiencing since they had their managerial transition at the start of the year, going down the Spanish path isn't alwats paved with gold either :)

Getting a manager that can work with a salary capped squad is also hard work at times. 

Whoever we sign as a manager will likely have its pros and cons.

Judging by some of the struggles it appears Adelaide are experiencing since they had their managerial transition at the start of the year, going down the Spanish path isn't alwats paved with gold either :)

Getting a manager that can work with a salary capped squad is also hard work at times. 

Interestingly the two clubs that have had succession planning, CCM and AU with Moss and Amor respectively, bombed after the transition. Also both had dour personalities. JVS is not a barrel of laughs but has survived without a spectacular record. Arnold can be dour but confrontational. Popovic I find dour as well but since the first couple of seasons he is having difficulties. So perhaps not only do they need to be good coaches but also their personality has to come into the equation.

I note that JvS keeps referring to "moving to the next level." Fairly clear to me that that's the expectation being handed down from Manchester. I'm fairly sure that as and when JvS goes, whenever that is, our new man will have been carefully chosen to match what is required both for CFG and for the A-League - and for Asia. Doubt that we will see a recycled A-League manager.

• Like 2

Lel. Im far from pro-JVS, but only on this forum could you win 3-1 and have bulk traffic on the 'Sack the Manager' thread

Tend to agree on this. At least mute the tone. I think if he were to be replaced it would be no big deal but until this post I was keeping my opinions to myself. Of course if he gets the club to one or two pieces of silverware this season (missed out on the first) then I will have to review my opinion.

The way I see it is another manager could have got that very same result with the players we have. One win against a team we should beat is hardly reason to change the point of view of an underperforming manager. 

Haha. Exactly! Only on this forum could you have people say to ease up on the "sack the manager stuff" and not discuss the years of garbage served to us because of a win against Central Coast.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 5

Interestingly the two clubs that have had succession planning, CCM and AU with Moss and Amor respectively, bombed after the transition. Also both had dour personalities. JVS is not a barrel of laughs but has survived without a spectacular record. Arnold can be dour but confrontational. Popovic I find dour as well but since the first couple of seasons he is having difficulties. So perhaps not only do they need to be good coaches but also their personality has to come into the equation.

Sorry mate but that's just straight wrong, whether you think a coach is"dour" has nothing to do with their coaching ability.  Look at that clown Nth Qld had, he was hopeless (but jumped around a lot).  

We need a football manager not "a media personality". It was thinking like that that got as saddled with the "anti-John Lee Hooker" (ie Mr Unlucky).  The manager should be signed purely on their ability to lead the team to success.  

Sorry mate but that's just straight wrong, whether you think a coach is"dour" has nothing to do with their coaching ability.  Look at that clown Nth Qld had, he was hopeless (but jumped around a lot).  

We need a football manager not "a media personality". It was thinking like that that got as saddled with the "anti-John Lee Hooker" (ie Mr Unlucky).  The manager should be signed purely on their ability to lead the team to success.  

Actually all senior positions will have a "personality" component - after all they have to motivate people and people want to work with them. The most successful corporate managers that I have worked with have all had a good personality. The worst ones are the ones that got there through arse kissing or were promoted because that was an easy solution for the boards - and they didn't have personality. Of course they need to know what they are doing technically and they need to have a clear vision of what they want on the field and how to extract that from the players. I did not say otherwise, all I said that a component of being a senior coach is that they need have their personality considered. And BTW I did not say anything about being a "media personality".

Actually all senior positions will have a "personality" component - after all they have to motivate people and people want to work with them. The most successful corporate managers that I have worked with have all had a good personality. The worst ones are the ones that got there through arse kissing or were promoted because that was an easy solution for the boards - and they didn't have personality. Of course they need to know what they are doing technically and they need to have a clear vision of what they want on the field and how to extract that from the players. I did not say otherwise, all I said that a component of being a senior coach is that they need have their personality considered. And BTW I did not say anything about being a "media personality".

Ok I do see what you are getting at now, but their "personality", is not necessarily the persona you see in front of the camera or on the sideline.  

IMO the confusion here is over the use of the term "manager" as in British football,  where the incumbent reports to the Chairman of the Board and is actually in charge of the the running of the whole club, and the use of the term "coach" pretty much everywhere else, where that is not the case and the "coach" seems to the somewhat lesser role of dealing with the technical aspects of playing the game itself.

I suspect that that's one of the problems in Australia, and IMO we'd be better off actually having a "manager" along the British lines. It makes the accountabilities quite clear. Whereas at Heart/City it's unclear to me just where the boundaries are for John Didulica, JvS, and now Michael Petrillo.

IMO the confusion here is over the use of the term "manager" as in British football,  where the incumbent reports to the Chairman of the Board and is actually in charge of the the running of the whole club, and the use of the term "coach" pretty much everywhere else, where that is not the case and the "coach" seems to the somewhat lesser role of dealing with the technical aspects of playing the game itself.

I suspect that that's one of the problems in Australia, and IMO we'd be better off actually having a "manager" along the British lines. It makes the accountabilities quite clear. Whereas at Heart/City it's unclear to me just where the boundaries are for John Didulica, JvS, and now Michael Petrillo.

There is only one manager in the EPL JW and that is Wenger. Him and Ferguson were the last of that sort of manager in the top league. It is now a more European style set up. Even in the Championship there are more and more European style management teams.

Personally I think that is the best way to do things, because if a new manager brings his own players, then if things don't go the way you expect, you are then left with players who the next manager may not want. I believe the manager should identify what type of players he needs, and then it is up to the scouting network to come up with players who he can choose from.

• Like 1

Lel. Im far from pro-JVS, but only on this forum could you win 3-1 and have bulk traffic on the 'Sack the Manager' thread

Mate.

We won 3-1 at home against a team comprising of State League players and British backpackers. Seriously, look at their squad. Even when they tried to be a bit exotic and went ahead and signed a Portuguese bloke, they got probably the only Portuguese footballer that can say he has played in the lower leagues of England and the State Leagues in Australia. It's almost as if there is a prerequisite that had to be ticked off before they can sign a player :droy: 

Edited by Tesla

Mate.

We won 3-1 at home against a team comprising of State League players and British backpackers. Seriously, look at their squad. Even when they tried to be a bit exotic and went ahead and signed a Portuguese bloke, they got probably the only Portuguese footballer that can say he has played in the lower leagues of England and the State Leagues in Australia. It's almost as if there is a prerequisite that had to be ticked off before they can sign a player :droy: 

dont disagree with any of that, just saying the traffic on the sack the manager thread is a bit stupid.

im not in the keep jvs camp, but im not sharpening the knife and standing over him either. Que sera 

• Like 1

Ran out of likes but would be perfect. Not only has he shown he can build up a good team with limited resources, everyone loves him. Kind of like a class manager and a name marquee in one

Its probably the only time he might be willing to come here as well, given his recent history. 

I'd personally prefer a coach that reports to a GM, that reports a CEO, that reports to the board/owners. I'd be honestly frightened what the club would be capable of if its members happened to elect as Chairman/President some 'personality', that may or may not have the first clue about the sport, like Jeff Kennett, David Koch, or Eddie McGuire. We've seen what can happen in the A-League when you've got some psychopath running a franchise as its owner. Remember when Kennett suggested that Alastair Clarkson should leave Hawthorn at the start of 2013, because the Hawks had just lost their tenth straight game against Geelong (and because that streak made Kennett look like a bit of a dill, because it was widely-regarded as 'The Kennett Curse')?

Angry at the Hawks' seven-point loss to Geelong at the MCG on Monday - their tenth-straight defeat to the Cats - and an inability to claim a premiership since 2008, Kennett said it was time for change.

"I think so. I had a discussion with Alastair some time ago. I have always believed six to eight years was as long enough as any coach should stay at any club," he said on radio station 3AW.

"Alastair has got some wonderful personal values, he has done great service at the club but he has been in charge of one of the best groups of young men going around in footy now for a number of years, certainly since 2008.

"There was an excuse in 2009 for our performance because of injury but 2010, 2011 and 2012, we have underperformed. Someone has to take responsibility for that."
Hawks chief executive Stuart Fox said Kennett's comments do not ''warrant a response''.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clarkson-should-leave-says-kennett-20130401-2h33r.html#ixzz3q7Szg2f7 

Wow. No-one else has won a flag since.

Fortunately (for Hawthorn), because of the way our clubs are structured, even if Kennett had still been President at the time, he wouldn't have had the power to sack Clarkson.

It's a fair point that the structure below Munn is unclear to most (if not all) of us. But as long as there is a CEO (that understands business and sports administration) as well as a GM (that has an excellent understanding of the sport, as well as business) below the CEO that are willing to roll up the sleeves and make the tough decisions with regards to the coaching staff and players, I think the basic hierarchy of professional Australian sporting clubs works pretty well. That way, you have football people looking after the football stuff and business people looking after the business.

Ok I'm not going to claim to know every football manager in the world, but considering our squad, our league & our challenges this is what i want.

A gaffer who:

• wants to play possession attacking football, with wide players (we have the squad for it) 
  • is a hard arse that demands 100% from his squad and makes sure he gets it
  • has had at least 3 seasons as head coach at a decent level, with a winning track record

• Like 2