Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

Remember how dominant we were early on.  Teams fully parked the bus and gave us complete attacking freedom and movement of ball in our defensive area.

This allowed us to attack without fear and for the likes of Vandavere to have a free roll

What's changed since the Victory loss is that teams press us much better, especially on throw ins. This means we have to work a lot harder all over the pitch, but this has also opened up more opportunities for opponents to score.

To a degree this has been combated by playing two holding mids, but at the expense of attacking potential 

Early on in games we make chances still, but after about 15 or 20 minutes intensity levels even up and it becomes more of an arm wrestle

For the first half of the season we had to do less defending, so we've probably been lax in training for defending set pieces

All this coupled with injuries to key players means we've lost our air of invincibility  ... other teams have caught up and are finishing stronger

If like to see us be a bit more tactical at times and maybe try on occasion to set up for counter attacks 

I do think if JMac can find his touch again we'll finish top,but it's gonna be a close thing

Edited by Torn Asunder

5 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

I do think if JMac can find his touch again we'll finish top,but it's gonna be a close thing

It's looking like Adelaide is emulating victorys late season run from last season. Looking like if we finish top it'll only be by a couple points... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I reckon Vidosic should get fired, cannot have that result in a grand final and its the type of result which mentally I can't see the players coming back from

Not the CFG way I'm afraid. The mistake was to appoint him without waiting until the end of the season. Now he's there CFG will lose face if he's sacked.

Just like PK at Troyes...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Aleague podcast which had a live reaction mentioned potential coaching change at city... See if they add anything in their main show 

I highly doubt they are going to terminate him based off that absolutely horrendous grand final. Unless there is a lot of player discontent in the dressing room and they just don't want to play for the guy...

11 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I highly doubt they are going to terminate him based off that absolutely horrendous grand final. Unless there is a lot of player discontent in the dressing room and they just don't want to play for the guy...

The performance was worthy of a sacking!

• Like 3

On 04/06/2023 at 7:15 PM, Zanty said:

I reckon Vidosic should get fired, cannot have that result in a grand final and its the type of result which mentally I can't see the players coming back from

Despite my earlier post I agree that he has to go. We didn't just lose, we were humiliated.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Despite my earlier post I agree that he has to go. We didn't just lose, we were humiliated.

I don't think that we were humiliated. The scoreline certainly didn't reflect our season or even the relative season of the two teams, but we played our style, attacking football, in a one-off game. once we were behind, the bias in a one-off game would always be towards attacking football, leaving us open to a good counter-attacking team. I think we made selection errors, and that cost us, but " shutting up shop" and settling for a 2-0, or 3-0 defeat, would have been more humiliating.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I don't think that we were humiliated. The scoreline certainly didn't reflect our season or even the relative season of the two teams, but we played our style, attacking football, in a one-off game. once we were behind, the bias in a one-off game would always be towards attacking football, leaving us open to a good counter-attacking team. I think we made selection errors, and that cost us, but " shutting up shop" and settling for a 2-0, or 3-0 defeat, would have been more humiliating.

I don't agree. The defects in our style have been very evident in the past two seasons where we just cannot get good results against against other teams in the top 3-4. And if you look at the season just completed you will see how our defence started to leak goals as the season progressed. IMO Mariners did have a good season. It was Mariners who dealt with Adelaide when the latter looked as though they might just be premiers. And they came home with a wet sail. And history looks at the result, not what lay behind it.

I cannot subscribe to the view that somehow 6-1 is acceptable.

• Like 2

Was definitely out coached.

Unlike most of the Sydney media Silvera wankfest, i thought he was well beaten by Bos. Whether it was Monty or the forwards took it upon themselves, those wide midfielders/wingers switched sides and diver boy went to Bos's side and Silvera went to Reis and was then able to exploit a significant speed advantage.

Rado had no answer when the obvious was get Talbot on asap. Also had no answer to aggressive marking job Tom Bellend did on Leckie.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't agree. The defects in our style have been very evident in the past two seasons where we just cannot get good results against against other teams in the top 3-4. And if you look at the season just completed you will see how our defence started to leak goals as the season progressed. IMO Mariners did have a good season. It was Mariners who dealt with Adelaide when the latter looked as though they might just be premiers. And they came home with a wet sail. And history looks at the result, not what lay behind it.

I cannot subscribe to the view that somehow 6-1 is acceptable.

6-1 was a product of our two problems: the last two seasons, we have had a poor scoring efficiency (compared to our double-winning season); since Rado took over, the players have been given more creative license, but we've conceded more goals in return. Both those characteristics are always going to be exaggerated against better teams: we'll get fewer chances and concede more from the scoring opportunities we provide. Our philosophy is to play attacking football, and every tactical implementation of that will have strengths and vulnerabilities. Our philosophy will pay off over the season as we'll play more teams with less ability, but we'll always struggle against the better teams in one-off games. That's why we won the Premiership. It's also why teams like us and also Man City struggle in knockout or one-off competitions like our Finals or the UCL.

The scale of it was exacerbated by a poor team selection and in-game subs.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

6-1 was a product of our two problems: the last two seasons, we have had a poor scoring efficiency (compared to our double-winning season); since Rado took over, the players have been given more creative license, but we've conceded more goals in return. Both those characteristics are always going to be exaggerated against better teams: we'll get fewer chances and concede more from the scoring opportunities we provide. Our philosophy is to play attacking football, and every tactical implementation of that will have strengths and vulnerabilities. Our philosophy will pay off over the season as we'll play more teams with less ability, but we'll always struggle against the better teams in one-off games. That's why we won the Premiership. It's also why teams like us and also Man City struggle in knockout or one-off competitions like our Finals or the UCL.

The scale of it was exacerbated by a poor team selection and in-game subs.

So you're saying that it's OK to keep struggling against good teams? I just can't agree. Sorry. No point in qualifying for Asia if you're content to lose when you get there.

• Like 1

No, I'm not saying that it's OK; it's a product of our higher-risk style of play. In other Leagues, you get around it by spending more money to buy better players; that's not possible here with a salary cap. We can improve our recruiting, but that will only take us so far. There's always going to be a compromise with every playing style or strategy though.

I don't like it any more than you. We can play more conservatively like we did under Wazza but that was very ugly football, and didn't win us anything at all

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Domenec Torrent who used to manage NYCFC in the City Group and most recently with Galatasaray has become a free agent.

Would be a good pickup 

Be nice but doubt he be interested in A League, he is a higher level. 

Bloke left New York by mutual consent, (he walked) then went to Flamengo got sacked after 18 months. Then went to Galatasaray and got sacked June 2022, been out since.

I reackon he is at a level between MLS and top 5 League in Europe. 

Regardless Rado is going nowhere, there is very little chance he will be replaced. 

On 07/06/2023 at 12:09 PM, Jovan said:

Be nice but doubt he be interested in A League, he is a higher level. 

Bloke left New York by mutual consent, (he walked) then went to Flamengo got sacked after 18 months. Then went to Galatasaray and got sacked June 2022, been out since.

I reackon he is at a level between MLS and top 5 League in Europe. 

Regardless Rado is going nowhere, there is very little chance he will be replaced. 

my comment is about the last line, if you think  about it we are a city club after all. Kisnorbo hardly won a game at Troies (pardon the spelling)  but he is still there and we have the ACL to think about before next season.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, haz said:

Manchester City charges incoming so CFG are about to sell us? 

I don't think we're worth that much...peanuts in terms of their overall business! However, conversely, it would never surprise me if we were sold precisely on that basis - we're only nuisance value. It's the sort of thing a business does when it restructures - sticks to its core business, and sells off all the bits it doesn't really need.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think we're worth that much...peanuts in terms of their overall business! However, conversely, it would never surprise me if we were sold precisely on that basis - we're only nuisance value. It's the sort of thing a business does when it restructures - sticks to its core business, and sells off all the bits it doesn't really need.

Just out of curiosity, apart from Man City, how much have the other clubs contributed to the brand (I am not sure that talking about profits matter to the Sheik).

55 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Just out of curiosity, apart from Man City, how much have the other clubs contributed to the brand (I am not sure that talking about profits matter to the Sheik).

@NewConvertI'm struggling to answer that. I don't recall ever seeing a headline such as "City Football Group's (insert name of club) wins (insert name of competition)" but that doesn't mean that there hasn't been one. What's the "brand" anyway? I couldn't care a toss about the other CFG clubs - would have to look them up to give you the full list - and in terms of the flagship club I'm a Foundation Member of the "Please, anyone but Manchester City" organisation...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting question. I regard three of our coaches as significant in the history of the club - JvS, Mombaerts, and oddly enough for most on here I think, Joyce.

I liked JvS, a gentleman through and through, and I liked his style - the suit on the touchline and his thoughtful approach to the game, and of course he gave us our first trophy the FFA Cup. Joyce hardened the club up, and gave a lot to our younger players, but fell out of favour with "joyceball." Mombaerts had style again - who can forget him rocking up to the club in his Homburg and overcoat - and it can be argued that he was architect of the way we play today. But again he didn't win a trophy for us and I feel that he under-performed after the hype.

I guess as a nostalgic Foundation Member I'm influenced by the good old days of red and white, Yarraside, Christmas Derbies wearing Mario hats and all that stuff, and the anti-septic feelings that I have about the club these days, and the ownership by CFG, so for me it's JvS.

• Like 2