Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

Bench was Berenguer who Rado said is still suffering the effects of his hamstring, Galloway, Reis who had a headknock from last week, Hall, Hogan who is a NPL forward but I don't think is a start up and Period who is a NPL midfielder. Flo and Scotty came on then Reis. Hall's a defender so there's only the two kids.

1 hour ago, heart1011 said:

There wasn't too many other options to bring on. We should get a few of the younger boys back this week now that they unfortunately got knocked out. 

We were definitely depleted with the recent injuries and under the 20s national duty. Should be a few more options for the bench against Macarthur... 

18 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

I'd love to know the rush to sign Rado. 

Yeah I said the same thing when it happened. He inherited a ripper squad who was on a good run of form. When Rado first took over we continued to play the way we were playing under PK. Fast flowing high possession, high pressure football. The only difference the first few games was Rado would actually make subs! The last 4 games or so we have honestly started to play exactly how we played under Joyce. Come out the blocks firing the first 10-15 mins but fail to capitalise. Then we go a goal down and struggle to peg one back.. I really hope we can turn this run of form around and bounce back after the break!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, heart1011 said:

Yeah I said the same thing when it happened. He inherited a ripper squad who was on a good run of form. When Rado first took over we continued to play the way we were playing under PK. Fast flowing high possession, high pressure football. The only difference the first few games was Rado would actually make subs! The last 4 games or so we have honestly started to play exactly how we played under Joyce. Come out the blocks firing the first 10-15 mins but fail to capitalise. Then we go a goal down and struggle to peg one back.. I really hope we can turn this run of form around and bounce back after the break!

To be fair, Leckie, VdV have sustained injuries and Nabbout, JMac, Berenguer, Good have all had injuries or are playing with injuries.

• Like 1

But we've got an academy that's producing players. Rado is doing exactly the same as PK - has young players on the bench but almost never do they get on the field. So when the shit hits the fan and we have injuries we do not have the replacements ready.

But on the subject of injuries, sometimes I do wonder. Berenguer has a "minor niggle." In my terminology "niggle" is minor in the first place, so "minor niggle" is minor-minor. Worth sacrificing a Premiership for?

Yeah, I only played village football. Half the team carried so much strapping they could barely walk onto the field.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

But we've got an academy that's producing players. Rado is doing exactly the same as PK - has young players on the bench but almost never do they get on the field. So when the shit hits the fan and we have injuries we do not have the replacements ready.

But on the subject of injuries, sometimes I do wonder. Berenguer has a "minor niggle." In my terminology "niggle" is minor in the first place, so "minor niggle" is minor-minor. Worth sacrificing a Premiership for?

Yeah, I only played village football. Half the team carried so much strapping they could barely walk onto the field.

I tend to agree with you. As I have said, unless Rafa was not available for other reasons, I would have had him on the bench and most likely playing a good 20 minutes. In previous games he should have had at least 10. The mid-field maybe a little harder but in defence I would have had Stokes as well. Actually, instead of Reis, I would have moved Talbot to play alongside Good and Calloway on the right. Reis on the bench and to come on as a sub. Stokes may play 10 minutes or so.

If we did away with our yips in front of goal we'd have won that game 3 times over ... especially if we scored first.

They parked the bus, and welded up shop like in Mad Max 2.  

Our issue at the moment is not tactics.  Its squad depth and player availability through injury, and like i said ... the yips in front of goals!!  The big problem is that these problems could cost us the plate as Adelaide and WSW look to be on a hot streak ... the tards are also on the mend, so our catch up game against them could be difference (so it becomes the only thing they have to play for ... gonna be huge).

Be great is we grabbed a proven striker on an injury loan ... 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

If we did away with our yips in front of goal we'd have won that game 3 times over ... especially if we scored first.

They parked the bus, and welded up shop like in Mad Max 2.  

Our issue at the moment is not tactics.  Its squad depth and player availability through injury, and like i said ... the yips in front of goals!!  The big problem is that these problems could cost us the plate as Adelaide and WSW look to be on a hot streak ... the tards are also on the mend, so our catch up game against them could be difference (so it becomes the only thing they have to play for ... gonna be huge).

Be great is we grabbed a proven striker on an injury loan ... 

The problem, at the moment, is that Leckie, Berengeur and Van der Venne are out; that's quite some loss of attacking power and experience. Florin is struggling to stay fit long enough to regain his form of last season. JMac is carrying an injury and is down on pace and accuracy so just isn't scoring regularly. 

The coaching issue though is that the balance of the team has shifted; we are now committing more players forward so are vulnerable to counter-attacking teams. We seem particularly vulnerable on the second ball in attacking transition, this is always when good opponents counter-press and force a turnover, and by this stage, our backline is easy to overload. This also is a problem defending set pieces, again, the second pass is often when we lose possession.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO the club acted too hastily to appoint Rado on a "permanent" basis. He should have continued as "interim" until the end of the season and then assessed on our League performance and AFC qualification result.

He's now caught in a familiar manager's dilemma - persist with a squad that is not producing the desired returns in the hope that he can eke out enough points to deliver, in our case, the Premiership and ACL qualification, or risk changing the starting line-up and substitution policy and play young players that don't have many minutes at the top level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO the club acted too hastily to appoint Rado on a "permanent" basis. He should have continued as "interim" until the end of the season and then assessed on our League performance and AFC qualification result.

He's now caught in a familiar manager's dilemma - persist with a squad that is not producing the desired returns in the hope that he can eke out enough points to deliver, in our case, the Premiership and ACL qualification, or risk changing the starting line-up and substitution policy and play young players that don't have many minutes at the top level.

I really can't understand why we jumped to sign him so quickly,after what was it 5 games in charge at the time? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

Am I wrong or does this show that, despite who we have as a manager, the best we can expect is to win 50% of our games

😂😂

I believe only Pierre Littbarski (which is a name I hadn't heard in fucking yonks) has a better PPG than Paddy K and Eric M.

39 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

I believe only Pierre Littbarski (which is a name I hadn't heard in fucking yonks) has a better PPG than Paddy K and Eric M.

https://www.ultimatealeague.com/statistics/manager/?show=msm

I think that table is A-League matches only, but if you look at those who have coached a reasonable number of matches - say 20+ - then PK is the best ever in terms of wins.

Edited by jw1739

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

https://www.ultimatealeague.com/statistics/manager/?show=msm

I think that table is A-League matches only, but if you look at those who have coached a reasonable number of matches - say 20+ - then PK is the best ever in terms of wins.

How does it look when we take out the season when we were the only full strength squad in the comp?

Edited by Mr MO

30 minutes ago, marn11 said:

Hey, Rado makes substitutions and isn't demonstrative on the sidelines! He's just what you all wanted!

The Kinsnorbo hate was always well OTT; he's clearly not Pep Guardiola but he's a good manager at A-League level. 

I would have said that he was an "effective" manager at A-League level. His style might resonate better in Australia than overseas.

It would be an interesting experiment to have Guardiola managing in the A-League and see how he goes for a season, where he doesn't have "unlimited" funds to spend and can't buy up promising young players and loan them out so that competing clubs can't get them.

Interesting statistic that 13 out of 20 EPL managers have left their clubs this season...

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

How does it look when we take out the season when we were the only full strength squad in the comp?

Well just minus 15 wins 4 draws and 7 losses and you will have... 

Games coached 34. Wins: 18 Draws: 9 and losses: 7 for a win percentage of 52.9%

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marn11 said:

Hey, Rado makes substitutions and isn't demonstrative on the sidelines! He's just what you all wanted!

The Kinsnorbo hate was always well OTT; he's clearly not Pep Guardiola but he's a good manager at A-League level. 

Explain that to the Europeans!

Wheels fell off for PK as well with only a couple of key injured players last season. Will be the same for any team in this salary capped league when your key players are unfit or injured.

Edited by Mr MO

23 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Explain that to the Europeans!

Wheels fell off for PK as well with only a couple of key injured players last season. Will be the same for any team in this salary capped league when your key players are unfit or injured.

The drop off started before Leckie and VDV got injured, even without them we still have a Nabbout, Maclaren, Tilio frontline which is still probably the best in the league on paper.

45 minutes ago, Zanty said:

The drop off started before Leckie and VDV got injured, even without them we still have a Nabbout, Maclaren, Tilio frontline which is still probably the best in the league on paper.

No, our style of play has changed, which I don’t mind. 

On your second comment, see my comment above!

Edited by Mr MO

PK's strength is connecting with and motivating players to buy into the vision and the system. That is effective if you already have the players, as we have. Rado is a better tactician but not as good at motivating the players, or at keeping the team cohesive.

PK is all at sea in France because he doesn't have the players to be competitive, and also I wonder if the language and culture issue is impeding his connection with the players

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zanty said:

Rado record is W-7 D-5 L-3, that is not good enough imo

Its not just that or as simple as that imo. Its how we win. How we lose. Look at the goals conceded over the last 2 months. We win but need 3 or 4 goals to do so. And sometimes that isn't enough. I don't want to air my thoughts on the following season but I'm just praying we can scrape through and finish top. No team has ever gone 3 back to back top of the table titles before. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Its not just that or as simple as that imo. Its how we win. How we lose. Look at the goals conceded over the last 2 months. We win but need 3 or 4 goals to do so. And sometimes that isn't enough. I don't want to air my thoughts on the following season but I'm just praying we can scrape through and finish top. No team has ever gone 3 back to back top of the table titles before. 

That's quite correct. Would you say it's for the same reasons? I sought of sense that perhaps a club becomes too self-satisfied with itself and starts to look backwards at what it's done and not forwards to what it needs to do?

It is hard how to select a team. You first want a stable line up and then if a player misses a week another player steps in without missing a beat. You also want a player that can come off the bench and change the game if required.

This season, like most seasons, we have lost a forward line (Leckie, VDV) and injuries to Nabbout & JMac. Our backline has been inconsistent with injuries to Good, suspensions to Lam, Reis continuous issues with soft tissue injuries. Then there is the loss of Berenguer and the not quite right Berisha.

So who should have been given more time when the things were doing well? Caputo, Rafa up forward. Galloway at the back. And someone else for the middle. The question will always be when to sub them on.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That's quite correct. Would you say it's for the same reasons? I sought of sense that perhaps a club becomes too self-satisfied with itself and starts to look backwards at what it's done and not forwards to what it needs to do?

I don't know if I could say that the club is too self satisfied. If anything could happen it could be that they lose that little edge/focus they had to win. But I have no doubt they all want more success. I just hope they have the desperation needed to get over the line.