Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

Good on him. Happy for him tbh.
Has copped a fair bit of flack over the years for one tiny stint at Roar, and is one of the leagues genuine nice guys.

Can't say we havent been playing some really good looking stuff attack wise over the last month or so either.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, haz said:

Eh I'm on the fence. 

We've just come off our worse results, and then had one big win. 

I would have preferred the club waited till the end of the season to make a decision. 

Interesting seeing how expectations change 3 draws in a row wouldn't be seen that bad in heart days but now its disappointing 

• Like 1

Never good to announce straight after a big win.

Should have waited till 10am Thursday. 

On the actual appointment. Makes sense and seems logical and it's for me a good choice.

Edited by Jovan
Obviously until we loose then its the worst appointment in A League history
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Good on him. Happy for him tbh.
Has copped a fair bit of flack over the years for one tiny stint at Roar, and is one of the leagues genuine nice guys.

Can't say we havent been playing some really good looking stuff attack wise over the last month or so either.

FWIW (nothing!) I'm comfortable with the decision. His comments on "football should be fun" are very pertinent, and while results may be everything in football there are different ways of getting those results and maybe the club is now satisfied that Rado's way is going to deliver over an extended period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

Interesting seeing how expectations change 3 draws in a row wouldn't be seen that bad in heart days but now its disappointing 

It was ridiculous, I’ve seen people calling for his head after these draws despite absolute bossing these games. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

It was ridiculous, I’ve seen people calling for his head after these draws despite absolute bossing these games. 

I think that more to the point, in the third of those matches we were 1-3 down but just kept at it and pulled it back to pretty much a last-gasp draw. I don't have all the stats in front of me but I'd be surprised if we've done that before (and if we have it wouldn't be too often).

Edited by jw1739

5 hours ago, haz said:

Eh I'm on the fence. 

We've just come off our worse results, and then had one big win. 

I would have preferred the club waited till the end of the season to make a decision. 

You weren't around during the Aloisi era?

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think that more to the point, in the third of those matches we were 1-3 down but just kept at it and pulled it back to pretty much a last-gasp draw. I don't have all the stats in front of me but I'd be surprised if we've done that before (and if we have it wouldn't be too often).

And as I said it before WSW were the first team to really park the bus and Macarthur to their credit did not. I am not sure whether we have developed yet to the point where we can break any bus parked.

2 hours ago, Tommykins said:

I don't hate or love the appointment, but I am baffled by the timing, you absolutely could have let the rest of the regular season play out to see if what Rado has done so far is sustainable 

Why? It’s nice to have that certainty for both employer and employee. 

Everybody can see what’s happening with the squad in a good way. It’s not like he’s relatively new to the organisation either, parties are well familiar.

Why wait to the end of the season, drive negotiations to a last point and then having to settle for some other choice.

50 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Everybody can see what’s happening with the squad in a good way. It’s not like he’s relatively new to the organisation either, parties are well familiar.

Why wait to the end of the season, drive negotiations to a last point and then having to settle for some other choice.

It also means that the coach can have input into recruitment/retention options for next season

• Thanks 1

CFG management have made it clear in their comments that they're looking at internal appointments rather than external. It appears very likely that Super Dario is being groomed to take over after Rado finishes up. Whilst that sounds nepotistic it's more that they want to retain the same playing style and culture whilst a coach not within their system will want to bring in his own ideas

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tommykins said:

I don't hate or love the appointment, but I am baffled by the timing, you absolutely could have let the rest of the regular season play out to see if what Rado has done so far is sustainable 

I also get the inkling that they are getting Rado on a cheaper contract as opposed to delaying. Signing him now as opposed to waiting for us to potentially take out silverware which in turn would give Rado more bargaining power... 

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I also get the inkling that they are getting Rado on a cheaper contract as opposed to delaying. Signing him now as opposed to waiting for us to potentially take out silverware which in turn would give Rado more bargaining power... 

Exactly. Bela also made a good comment on him now being here already for next season recruiting.

Good and logical move from the club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I really don't think "bargaining power" of the Head Coach of a club of the status of Melbourne City would cut anything with CFG.

The current annual salaries of Manchester City players alone total 180 million GBP.

As I understand it we are given a budget by CFG and we work within that. If anyone wants a salary that would cause us to exceed that budget we would either ask CFG for approval or go and find someone else.

On 08/02/2023 at 8:53 AM, Mr MO said:

Rado has done very nicely in the last game, but the Brisbane and Sydney games were the worst we've played by a long margin this year, I'm not sure there was a long line of suitors who were going to pick him off us. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 8:53 PM, Tommykins said:

Rado has done very nicely in the last game, but the Brisbane and Sydney games were the worst we've played by a long margin.

I disagree, it’s very easy to forgot how poor we’ve played many games under PK too.

We’ve also played the best football since PK is gone, players are a lot happier too. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I disagree, it’s very easy to forgot how poor we’ve played many games under PK too.

We’ve also played the best football since PK is gone, players are a lot happier too. 

Mate what agenda do you have against Kisnorbo? 

2 hours ago, haz said:

Mate what agenda do you have against Kisnorbo? 

No agenda from me, everybody knows my opinion - he’s just an overrated coach.

But you are the one driving it with your stats right? Calling Rado out etc….

Rado might be an average coach but I like how the team has brought the joy back in the game. Any coach can do well at our club and we will win a lot more silverware. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

An half time outburst like in his All Access episode? 

I wasnt a fan of everything PK did but the guy did win multiple trophies for us. You may not like how he went about it but it worked. You may be in favour of some of Rados qualities but im concerned that I'm already seeing a bit of a soft underbelly with him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

I wasnt a fan of everything PK did but the guy did win multiple trophies for us. You may not like how he went about it but it worked. You may be in favour of some of Rados qualities but im concerned that I'm already seeing a bit of a soft underbelly with him.

Fully agreed on being soft, I can see what you mean though and I can see that too. Having a soft underbelly is certainly the case. He’s been open about giving players more freedom. I’m not here to defend Rado but I’m supporting a change which is positive in my opinion.

With PK, it worked because those were the foundations of Eric Mombearts, that team won the double. We shouldn’t pretend that we never dropped a game under PK. 

Last season we’ve managed not to win a single game against the full 4 top also got our asses whipped by Victory a lot worse than last night! Short memory for some (not you).

Grown up players like Berisha, VDV and Leckie don’t need to be barked on from the sideline. Leckie has a lot more freedom if you’ve noticed and it works beautifully. We are more dominant and playing better football on the eye. I’m convinced we can still win silverware but yes we will drop games here and there - such is football.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

Probably we could have this discussion in a number of threads, but I could see no valid reason for dropping Berisha to the bench last night in favour of Berenguer - these two players are just chalk and cheese - and with Berisha just notching his first goal for the club I thought he was an obvious starter.

I also do not understand what Rado is trying to do with the defence, because we've conceded 9 goals in the past four matches.

Up front we're shot-shy, and I can't work that out either. Leckie is turning out to be our main man at the moment, and after discounting penalties he can't be far behind JMac in goals scored?

I don't have a problem with Rado's philosophy, but you still have to win matches to satisfy both players' and supporters' ambitions, and losing to our Melbourne rivals when they are bottom of the league isn't a good look.

9 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Fully agreed on being soft, I can see what you mean though and I can see that too. Having a soft underbelly is certainly the case. He’s been open about giving players more freedom. I’m not here to defend Rado but I’m supporting a change which is positive in my opinion.

With PK, it worked because those were the foundations of Eric Mombearts, that team won the double. We shouldn’t pretend that we never dropped a game under PK. 

Last season we’ve managed not to win a single game against the full 4 top also got our asses whipped by Victory a lot worse than last night! Short memory for some (not you).

Grown up players like Berisha, VDV and Leckie don’t need to be barked on from the sideline. Leckie has a lot more freedom if you’ve noticed and it works beautifully. We are more dominant and playing better football on the eye. I’m convinced we can still win silverware but yes we will drop games here and there - such is football.

Ok so that leaves us where exactly. I think we agree on many things.I kept the losses to victory out of it for that reason because PK didn't have the best results against them lay season. I agree we are better on the eye. Very similar to JVS. Scoring for fun. And, copping a bag full of goals as well. 9 goals in the last 4 games to be precise.  

I gave it some thought before positing and the best way I can sum what I'm saying is I would like to see a bit of both PK and Rados styles to take charge of this team. That its not all PK style is bad. Rados is good. That's what I'm getting at. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Ok so that leaves us where exactly. I think we agree on many things.I kept the losses to victory out of it for that reason because PK didn't have the best results against them lay season. I agree we are better on the eye. Very similar to JVS. Scoring for fun. And, copping a bag full of goals as well. 9 goals in the last 4 games to be precise.  

I gave it some thought before positing and the best way I can sum what I'm saying is I would like to see a bit of both PK and Rados styles to take charge of this team. That its not all PK style is bad. Rados is good. That's what I'm getting at. 

Agree. I like to put PK & Rado in a blender to eliminate each other's deficiencies.

• Like 1

Complete and utter rubbish going on in this thread.

Rado is twice the manager that Kisnorbo is. Just because he doesn't carry on, on the sidelines like a dickhead, doesn't mean that he's not "tough" and doesn't hold people to account.

He just approaches things in a different way. The guys lost two games all season under his coaching and yet we're still critical, as always. Some people will just be grumpy and complain for the sake of it.

• Like 6

The hills people are willing to die on here is just absolutely bananas. 

Thought there was a nice tactical wrinkle last night with VdV and Berenguer rotating a bit on the left wing. I'm not entirely sure it works from a pressing point of view, but going forward it made Grant look decidedly average last night

39 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

The hills people are willing to die on here is just absolutely bananas. 

Thought there was a nice tactical wrinkle last night with VdV and Berenguer rotating a bit on the left wing. I'm not entirely sure it works from a pressing point of view, but going forward it made Grant look decidedly average last night

Good point.

I've always thought Grant is a 'cheat' type of player. I.e. would rather go forward,  defend narrow and no respect for his opponent. When he eas younger, he could get back and those last ditch tackles look heroic. Now he's older and he can't do that as effectively and is getting way more exposed. 

On 24/02/2023 at 12:34 PM, kingofhearts said:

Complete and utter rubbish going on in this thread.

Rado is twice the manager that Kisnorbo is. Just because he doesn't carry on, on the sidelines like a dickhead, doesn't mean that he's not "tough" and doesn't hold people to account.

He just approaches things in a different way. The guys lost two games all season under his coaching and yet we're still critical, as always. Some people will just be grumpy and complain for the sake of it.

Interesting take. I don't think anything was said of the equivalent opposite to him being 'twice the manager PK is.' Which is rubbish in itself. Nothing was said about him being a bad manager. Just some opinions and observations, the observations being true. Since your post we conceded another two goals against Sydney. This is not a bash the result. Just looking at a pattern and whether it has any significance down the track for us. I hope not. 

Edited by n i k o

40 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Interesting take. I don't think anything was said of the equivalent opposite to him being 'twice the manager PK is.' Which is rubbish in itself. Nothing was said about him being a bad manager. Just some opinions and observations, the observations being true. Since your post we conceded another two goals against Sydney. This is not a bash the result. Just looking at a pattern and whether it has any significance down the track for us. I hope not. 

If we keep on conceding at the rate we are then it could be very significant in terms of the Premiership.

• Like 1

On this we are missing Curtis Good and Reis & Jamieson seem to have slowed from last season (or at least that is the way it looks like to me). Also he has tweaked the game plan a bit with Bos being able to go forward a lot more meaning that someone has to cover the left flank. Hence in the last two matches most of the attacks on City's goal were coming down the left where Reis just didn't seem to have the pace. I am all for Bos to keep pushing up high but that means that the team needs someone with a bit more speed to provide cover.

• Like 2