Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

20 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Neil Young has left the club with Jeff Olver replacing him as GK coach for the next bit.

Nothing on the club website. Do you have any further details - why, where's he gone? Our GK coaching position has always seemed to me to be a bit of an "also" position and no-one stays very long.

• 1 year later...

Preference for me would be someone in the CFG system. Des Buckingham the obvious choice but he has Mumbai City in second with no losses and I can't see CFG moving him until after their season is finished. From Melbourne you might have thought Petr Kratky as the assistant but Rado has taken over, maybe they're thinking Dario from next year, following PKs footsteps. I'm not sure who is available from CFGs overseas stables but I can't see Pep releasing anyone from Manchester. And I can't see Muscat coming back from Yokohama. God I hope not. The obvious current ALeague managers I would accept would be Pappas, Talay, or Montgomery. Left field would be Kewell, Pros and Cons there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Preference for me would be someone in the CFG system. Des Buckingham the obvious choice but he has Mumbai City in second with no losses and I can't see CFG moving him until after their season is finished. From Melbourne you might have thought Petr Kratky as the assistant but Rado has taken over, maybe they're thinking Dario from next year, following PKs footsteps. I'm not sure who is available from CFGs overseas stables but I can't see Pep releasing anyone from Manchester. And I can't see Muscat coming back from Yokohama. God I hope not. The obvious current ALeague managers I would accept would be Pappas, Talay, or Montgomery. Left field would be Kewell, Pros and Cons there.

Good post. Yes, I think I'd like to see Des Buckingham given the opportunity, because he seems to get on well with the developing players. Likewise Papas. I can't see Kewell quitting Celtic for us. From within the club itself, have no idea really, but I'm a bit wary of a father/son dynasty appointment. However, it seems that I regularly become aware of someone at the club who I had no idea is or was there, so there may be other internal candidates.

The only ex a league player currently coaching at City is I believe La Rocca. But he's doing Juniors I understand. There may be some of the other's doing their coaching badges. You'd think someone like Jameson, maybe Leckie might be doing that as something to do once retired. Or maybe Griff over in India. I think those sort of guys would be ideal coaching material in 5 years or so but obviously not now

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Preference for me would be someone in the CFG system. Des Buckingham the obvious choice but he has Mumbai City in second with no losses and I can't see CFG moving him until after their season is finished.

Hmmmm they didn't have much hesitation moving around another manager they had in the stable who was also undefeated and on top of the table.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

The only ex a league player currently coaching at City is I believe La Rocca. But he's doing Juniors I understand. There may be some of the other's doing their coaching badges. You'd think someone like Jameson, maybe Leckie might be doing that as something to do once retired. Or maybe Griff over in India. I think those sort of guys would be ideal coaching material in 5 years or so but obviously not now

Dario Vidosic is now in charge of our NPL squad.

40 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Hmmmm they didn't have much hesitation moving around another manager they had in the stable who was also undefeated and on top of the table.

Precisely this.

Thats why I'm thinking its already done/decided. And announced 10am Thursday.

An overseas appointment. 

Imagine the backlash taking an existing contracted A League coach mid season. Just not worth it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Can't see it happening. Arnold is the antithesis of CFG football philosophy.

I don’t really understand this point of view, why are people so against him? I’m neutral as I’ve never paid enough attention to him as a club coach, only recalling him winning lots with Sydney.

He’s seems to be able to get best out of this on international level average squad.

Mind you we have Kevin Muscat in our ranks now too.

I get that people can feel a little annoyed at times when it comes to City players as Arnold has a clear preference for players who are better on the ball.

Imagine having PK, Muscat, Arnold and Ange (working closely with) all working within the CFG.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I don’t really understand this point of view, why are people so against him? I’m neutral as I’ve never paid enough attention to him as a club coach, only recalling him winning lots with Sydney.

He’s seems to be able to get best out of this on international level average squad.

Mind you we have Kevin Muscat in our ranks now too.

I get that people can feel a little annoyed at times when it comes to City players as Arnold has a clear preference for players who are better on the ball.

Imagine having PK, Muscat, Arnold and Ange (working closely with) all working within the CFG.

Arnold is successful as the records show. However, his style of play has always been very defensive. IIRC the style of play CFG wants is free flowing from the back and high scoring. This is not the style that GA has, even when he was at Sydney FC he played slow tempo defensive football and he had the cattle to create a more flowing style of game.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Hmm, I must say I too have never paid enough attention to him. But his results at both Central Coast and Sydney speak for themselves. And now he is producing probably the best we can expect of him in Qatar. I get the impression that he does bond well with the squads at his disposal, or those results would not be there.

18 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Arnold is successful as the records show. However, his style of play has always been very defensive. IIRC the style of play CFG wants is free flowing from the back and high scoring. This is not the style that GA has, even when he was at Sydney FC he played slow tempo defensive football and he had the cattle to create a more flowing style of game.

Yes and no. I think that under PK we have seen more long ball from the back style football than we were seeing under Mombaerts and in PK's first season. 

But I doubt that Arnie would be coming here. After this World Cup I would think he'd receive a few offers at a national level. 

I would like to see Des Buckingham back with us

Edited by jw1739

• 1 month later...

I don't think we'll be getting Des Buckingham.....

Des Buckingham Signs Contract Extension With Mumbai City

Mumbai City FC are delighted to announce that Des Buckingham has signed a contract to extend his tenure at the club and within the City Football Group.

Having put pen to paper on a two-year extension, the Islanders’ Head Coach has reiterated his commitment to the club until the end of the 2024-25 season.

https://www.mumbaicityfc.com/news/des-buckingham-signs-contract-extension-with-mumbai-city

At this point, it looks like the bus pretty much drives itself.

We've looked great and tbh I don't see the need to bring in someone who will inevitably have his own ideas and may well disrupt our terrific form. Happy to have Rado until the end of the season.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Nate said:

At this point, it looks like the bus pretty much drives itself.

We've looked great and tbh I don't see the need to bring in someone who will inevitably have his own ideas and may well disrupt our terrific form. Happy to have Rado until the end of the season.

From the inside word I have, he will see out the season. 

• Like 2

On 05/01/2023 at 10:09 PM, malloy said:

Rado will be made permanent coach unless we turn to shit...

I do not think he will tbh, he is the clubs technical director and in terms of tactically driving the club forward he is not the guy but he is good at keeping the team as a steady ship

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We need a ball playing center forward.

Lol, I was gonna wait till after game to quote my previous post about JMac being weak link.

He plays as a second striker n positions himself (by peeling off n sitting behind the CB furthest from the ball) to pick off the scraps that present themselves in a two striker formation. But that doesn't happen as much when you play a front three and you need your CF presenting to receive the ball and attacking the ball when it comes into box.

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Mostly clear individuals errors, is that the coach his fault?

Generally no, but the coach generally is the one who has to take accountability, whether rightly or wrongky.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, malloy said:

Lol, I was gonna wait till after game to quote my previous post about JMac being weak link.

He plays as a second striker n positions himself (by peeling off n sitting behind the CB furthest from the ball) to pick off the scraps that present themselves in a two striker formation. But that doesn't happen as much when you play a front three and you need your CF presenting to receive the ball and attacking the ball when it comes into box.

Generally no, but the coach generally is the one who has to take accountability, whether rightly or wrongky.

Well summarised.

There’s been several occasions where the team thought about to play him in but he’s either behind the CB, runs off and we turned it over.

Credit to JMAC he knows that he doesn’t posses skills to hold the ball up but it’s frustrating as times you play with an attacker less.

Edited by Mr MO