Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

So the people that have allowed this to happen are also charged with rectifying the situation. 

Unlikely. 

Joyce deserves all the criticism that comes from all the footballing decisions but whoever put him in and allowed this shit show to continue for over 2 seasons needs to be looked at. Is it Marwood, Pearce that Feran dude I got no idea, but some of them if not all have completely botched it. 

Can it be fixed ? Absolutely,  will it be? That's the real question. 

There is only one person who can fix this shit show and that`s Ange. Slate me for saying but he knows the league to a T, can work with a salary cap, can attract the right players and fix the nazi culture problem that ole mate Joycey has created and most of all wont take a backward step to those above him!! Sign him up, get rid of the useless pricks above him and let him fix whats been broken for too long!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

IMO we had comfortably the best side that year too, but still ultimately walked away with nothing and threw away a host of games we should have won against crap sides (Newy x 2 comes to mind), and had the trinity and a CB pairing of Wilko and Kisnorbo. If that doesnt scream bad management i dunno what does.

There's def a case he was our best manager, but ultimately that isnt saying much at all.

Besides those players you’ve mentioned we also had heaps of average fringe players who are far less quality then we have now in our squad. Didn’t Wilkinson only join later in the season? Kisnorbo was taped together. I would argue that our squad was the best in league besides Mooy, Novillo and Bruno. 

You can call him a bad manager all you want but we played entertaining football, the crowd numbers were upwards, fan moral was up and there was an excellent atmosphere at our home games. I loved going to games then.

I remember this crazy home game against Perth some years back with red cards and missed penalties. Some of my casuals I brought along then are still talking about it....we had a vibe and were talk of the town for entertainment those seasons.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We had a vibe and were talk of the town for entertainment those seasons.

This is the point. A League football attracts a minority. In Melbourne, the minority have grown used to the Victory winning ways. If you are like me and were not wanting to buy in (when I chose) to a pre existing successful club but wanted to support a growing one with plans towards being a success then City was the obvious choice. I also follow underdogs for reasons unknown to myself.

The club era of 14-16 was so great because it developed faith in supporters that we were growing into a club to be feared. We had obvious weaknesses, namely defense and lacking a winning mindset, but we were taking the steps towards mitigating these and continuing to build on our strengths whist attracting great players to exciting play and entertaining football.

All that is gone. All of. Overnight it became obvious it was solely here to develop youth. We cared not to become the best club in Australia anymore. All that is gone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

....we had a vibe and were talk of the town for entertainment those seasons.

Indeed we were. I'd forgotten how good it was. I have a couple of friends who had never been before or since, but they went to a couple of home matches especially the derbies and didn't stop talking about them for a long time.

You're all mad.

Of the thousands of coaches out there who value attacking football, why on earth would you want the one who has been here twice before and failed both times.

Look deeper folks, those 'glory' year memories aren't due to JvS, but rather the players we had at the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

There is only one person who can fix this shit show and that`s Ange. Slate me for saying but he knows the league to a T, can work with a salary cap, can attract the right players and fix the nazi culture problem that ole mate Joycey has created and most of all wont take a backward step to those above him!! Sign him up, get rid of the useless pricks above him and let him fix whats been broken for too long!!

Ange unfortunately will never come to us. Ex wife situation. 

I’m no advocate of getting JVS back but to label him as a poor manager for us (with the best squad ever) that I don’t fully agree with as he giving me lots of joy and fun to go to games. Besides Bruno and Novillo weren’t even marquee players to start with.

51 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Indeed we were. I'd forgotten how good it was. I have a couple of friends who had never been before or since, but they went to a couple of home matches especially the derbies and didn't stop talking about them for a long time.

Same....we were a group of 5 blokes (all big football fans in general) and everybody besides myself has lost interest. It’s concerning.

58 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

But wasn’t that an issue with the previous board? 

Yes, it was an issue with the previous Chairman, Peter Sidwell, who led the Heart syndicate. IIRC Sidwell together with all the other members of the Board at the time of the sale to Manchester City are life members of MCFC. I don't know who else is a Life Member and I don't know whether you can apply - I suspect it's reserved for "notable" people.

On the subject of people associated with the club, does anyone know whether the "ambassadors" are still working on behalf of the club. Shane Delia, chef, was one, but IIRC there were others.

Does anyone know the process for selecting coaches? Does CFG have a panel of people who review/interview prospective candidates and the expertise that those individuals have for selecting coaches?

I can see Ange forming part of such a committee unless he himself is a candidate. But I certainly wouldn't mind if CFG approached other Australian codes to provide input to ensure that the prospective coach has a decent handle on the Australian psyche.

41 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Does anyone know the process for selecting coaches? Does CFG have a panel of people who review/interview prospective candidates and the expertise that those individuals have for selecting coaches?

I can see Ange forming part of such a committee unless he himself is a candidate. But I certainly wouldn't mind if CFG approached other Australian codes to provide input to ensure that the prospective coach has a decent handle on the Australian psyche.

Massive difference btw European coach's and Aussie coaches. I don't think any coach who has coached in Europe long term could handle the A-League. Handed a team with no input (excluding visa players, and in city's case would have NO say with the "extensive scouting network") 

If not Ange I'd take a punt on Kewell (unless Ante or Rudan became available) 

15 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Massive difference btw European coach's and Aussie coaches. I don't think any coach who has coached in Europe long term could handle the A-League. Handed a team with no input (excluding visa players, and in city's case would have NO say with the "extensive scouting network") 

If not Ange I'd take a punt on Kewell (unless Ante or Rudan became available) 

I think any new appointees will inherit players. I have not heard of a newly appointed manager coming in and dismissing an entire side. Over a number of years they may turn over the whole squad but that means they have been there for several seasons.

I am not sure whether CFG will impose a player on the team. And in any case if they did, they would not impose 5 visa players.

Of Australian contenders I would take Ange, Ante, Kisnorbo. I like what Rudan is doing at WP but I would prefer for him to have another season or two.

Of international coaches the only one that I have discovered that would fit the bill is the Argentinian Eduardo Berizzo who as manager won the the Chilean championship with O'Higgins (their only trophy in their history) as they are a small cash strapped club, then took Celta Vigo in the Spanish La Liga to the Europa cup where they were eliminated by Man U in the semis. He then went to Sevilla where he did not enjoy success and was dismissed. Ditto Bilbao. So he is not good enough for the big clubs of Europe but he can do with small clubs that have tight budgets. Unfortunately on February 18 he was named the Paraguayan national coach until Qatar. The good thing is that the current coaches are not lasting very long.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

So far the process has been an appointment by CFG in the shape  of Brian Marwood. I'd say that only personnel within CFG knows exactly what the process is, but IMO it is not like the conventional advertisement/applications/shortlist/interviews/offer.

There are applications when various people know there is a vacancy, and almost certainly when unemployed coaches know that a coach's contract is about to expire, just like there are players' agents continually contacting the club.

With CFG my own assumption is that it's who you know rather than what you know.

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So far the process has been an appointment by CFG in the shape  of Brian Marwood. I'd say that only personnel within CFG knows exactly what the process is, but IMO it is not like the conventional advertisement/applications/shortlist/interviews/offer.

There are applications when various people know there is a vacancy, and almost certainly when unemployed coaches know that a coach's contract is about to expire, just like there are players' agents continually contacting the club.

With CFG my own assumption is that it's who you know rather than what you know.

I have no doubt CFG would head hunt coaches rather than advertising 

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

product_100684_1_orig.jpg

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Based on the outcomes I’m pretty confident the process is that the committee go out and hit the town hard, when the clubs shut they return to the office and use a random name generator programme they had the work experience kid develop one year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 03/03/2019 at 5:16 PM, citypool said:

Noticed patty is doing a lot of a coaching today 

On 03/03/2019 at 6:30 PM, AntiScum said:

Noticed this 

I would not be averse to PK being offered the job. He was a great player for us, and there's no doubt that he gives everything he's got for the club. He's been on the coaching staff, even if not directly for the men all the while, under both JvS and WJ and has seen what works and what does not, and I think he'd have the respect of all the players, both the senior players and the younger ones coming through. With JP in charge of the Academy and PK the seniors I reckon we'd be in good shape.

13 hours ago, CityHeart said:

yea but 'what is the point of moving him on now' etc.

Seriously - the ONLY bad decision we could make at this point is keep him. The only one. 

And no doubt, true to form we will balls it up in ways only we can.

TBF I can think of a few more bad ideas.... contract extension comes to mind..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I would not be averse to PK being offered the job. He was a great player for us, and there's no doubt that he gives everything he's got for the club. He's been on the coaching staff, even if not directly for the men all the while, under both JvS and WJ and has seen what works and what does not, and I think he'd have the respect of all the players, both the senior players and the younger ones coming through. With JP in charge of the Academy and PK the seniors I reckon we'd be in good shape.

I dont know PK but Im not he`d have the toughness to be a senior coach. He comes across to me as more a mate than a coach.

Wouldnt be any harm in giving a go until the end of the year to see how he goes tho. Anything to get rid of ol mate wazza!!

6 hours ago, AntiScum said:

I dont know PK but Im not he`d have the toughness to be a senior coach. He comes across to me as more a mate than a coach.

Wouldnt be any harm in giving a go until the end of the year to see how he goes tho. Anything to get rid of ol mate wazza!!

did you ever watch him play?  He was a total c*** on the field, sure hed be like that in the dresser if he was allowed