Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

4 minutes ago, haz said:

Throw the money at Popa?

TBH I don't know what we should do. If we're going to bring in a new manager then surely we have to do it quickly, or otherwise muppets at Latrobe like Didulica will sign or re-sign players for next season without the new man having any input, and so once more we will have a couple more seasons of mediocrity while the squad is adjusted again.
I think I would prefer someone already within CFG because I'd be more confident that he would have had some say in the signings and re-signings that we have already made - Muscat, Retre, Chapman, Melling and Clisby.
I'm beginning to hate the off-season already.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Brian Kidd is favourite.

Not a bad resume for managing in the A league to be honest.

Pep probably wanted to bring his own team so they offered this opportunity to Brian and he has taken it.

Managerial experience as stated is pretty extensive:

image.png

2 minutes ago, Melburnian said:

Not a bad resume for managing in the A league to be honest.

Pep probably wanted to bring his own team so they offered this opportunity to Brian and he has taken it.

Managerial experience as stated is pretty extensive:

Are you saying it is Kidd, or are you guessing?

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I thought about Kidd, but he's 66 and coming to Australia might be a bit much at that age. I also noted this:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pep-guardiola-wants-brian-kidd-10835127

Yeah. I wondered if it might be Kidd when I thought it was just a signing to steady the ship, but the more the stories talk about him being groomed to replace, the more it's obvious that Kiddo is not the man we are talking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I think they will just appoint the next manager as an 'assistant' and JVS will just be manager in name only. Because what is the point of JVS being in control if he is leaving. 

But the inverse of that is what is the point of JVS staying for the season if he's not in control?

I can only think this assistant will be inexperienced.

The whole thing strikes me as crazy and is odds on to end in tears.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

But the inverse of that is what is the point of JVS staying for the season if he's not in control?

I can only think this assistant will be inexperienced.

The whole thing strikes me as crazy and is odds on to end in tears.

I'll make the point that CFG is still learning on how to own and manage a team in both Australia and the USA. Players (e.g. Harry Kewell) have consistently made the point that non-Australian players coming to the A-League underestimate what is required, and I suggest that's true for managers also. Managers have to be across all the FFA rules, and whereas in most leagues around the world you can buy and sell players as you wish without the encumbrances of the caps etc., but here you can't.

The rumour is that the new assistant is from overseas and has EPL experience (which I take to mean as experience of a coaching position in an EPL club) but will have a season to get familiar with FFA and the A-League.

IMO it doesn't have to end in disaster at all.

3 hours ago, perthheart said:

Isn't Harry Kewell at Watford? Inb4 Harry being our next manager after a season of yoof coaching. Continuing the glorious heart traditions forever.

Would also continue the tradition of our manager providing broken English media interviews 

Edited by Jake
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Not sure if this is the best thread for it but Joe Montemuro will be moving from W-league head coach to one of the vacant assistant roles

Does that mean that he will remain the women's team coach as well or that the club would be looking at a new coach for the women's team?

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly not what various media articles had suggested. My initial reaction is disappointment and that pretty much all we've done is re-arrange the deckchairs on the Titanic.
So far a bland off-season with nothing to excite.

Edited by jw1739

Just now, belaguttman said:

Presumably we couldn't sign the person that CFG allegedly had in mind. Now all we need is the announcement for the crippled pensioner marquee signing and we can re-run last season again

and another Damien Duff recommendation that doesnt play for the season

40 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-secure-assistant-coaches/1np3l4j3u10p51nek71gv2g8i0

What happened to our EPL experienced assistant?

Also @AntiScum if this doesn't clearly say that JVS is staying, what will?

They cant exactly say JVS is on his way out can they? Any manager who comes out and says he is building a team then a week later come out and say he wont be coaching beyond his next contract says it all. Why the hell would a club keep a coach who wont be around?

30 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

They cant exactly say JVS is on his way out can they? Any manager who comes out and says he is building a team then a week later come out and say he wont be coaching beyond his next contract says it all. Why the hell would a club keep a coach who wont be around?

Hangon. They've just appointed 3 not 1 assistants. If a new guy was coming in he would definitely bring in his own/new assistants.

AntiScum from now on you'll be known as Anticlimax.

What at absolute joke.

• Like 4

This is such shit news. FFS this has left me bereft of any hope for next season - not even a hint of an illusion that things may work out. The only reason anyone would bother watching MelbCity next season is to see some magic from Fornaroli but without Mooy he is unlikely to be able to produce the goods on a regular basis.

41 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

That is really clutching at straws. They specifically talk about how excited they are to work with JVS and how the new assistants will be working with JVS. If he was leaving it would definitely be done before the assistants were finalised.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

This is such shit news. FFS this has left me bereft of any hope for next season - not even a hint of an illusion that things may work out. The only reason anyone would bother watching MelbCity next season is to see some magic from Fornaroli but without Mooy he is unlikely to be able to produce the goods on a regular basis.

TBH I honestly think Montemuro is a potential head coach for when the Schip finally sinks.