Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

22 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Is it a coincidence that Hiddink is in the country when we're are struggling with results? I think not, there's something going on that's for sure. And lucky for Hiddink that while he's here in talks with us he can attend the ten year aniversary of qualifying for the World Cup. 

Its not a coincidence as he's here for a long standing reunion for the 10th anniversary of our qualification for the 2006 World Cup. It was organised ages ago.

His post 2006 record hasn't been much better that JVS's 

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Its not a coincidence as he's here for a long standing reunion for the 10th anniversary of our qualification for the 2006 World Cup. It was organised ages ago.

His post 2006 record hasn't been much better that JVS's 

You are talking different levels. And in any case, if talks are happening (which I pray that they are - and that is coming from an atheist) then it could be as caretaker coach till the end of the season. Guus Hiddink is a well known, respected coach that should certainly grab the attention of the players.

Chances are Chelski might recall him after they sack Maurinho until they can find someone else. Thats what he has done lately , i.e. being an interim manager, and will always do. But no harm in asking. He can be our interim manager until we find someone permanent next season.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

You are talking different levels. And in any case, if talks are happening (which I pray that they are - and that is coming from an atheist) then it could be as caretaker coach till the end of the season. Guus Hiddink is a well known, respected coach that should certainly grab the attention of the players.

The Russian League isn't at such a stratospheric level

I still think a number of people need to go from the Football Department. Not just van 't Schip. People tend to overlook the number of changes that we have seen there already - the latest being the addition of Michael Petrillo, who is basically in charge of "list management." You don't make such an appointment if you think that the list is already being well-managed. None of these changes so far seem to have made any dent in the malaise that is gripping the club. van 't Schip is but one of the common factors who have been there from the beginning; there's more to the malaise than just him.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tommac said:

I think that is JVS gets the boot, then Gombau is the most likely candidate. We know CFG like to keep it all in the family (Vieira to NYCFC) and he doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would want to be out of actually coaching/managent for too long. 

Gombau doesnt work for New York City. He went there to start his own academy. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Was Mulvey a good coach or did he just inherit a great team? :rolleyes:

I think both although I mostly say that because his win record is one of the highest in the league. Also, I think from remembering his interviews etc. he has a lot of, for want of a better word, cuntinessin him which we are desperately missing as a team. Its pretty thin evidence to go by I know, but to me it just seems to be a good match. 

11 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I think both although I mostly say that because his win record is one of the highest in the league. Also, I think from remembering his interviews etc. he has a lot of, for want of a better word, cuntinessin him which we are desperately missing as a team. Its pretty thin evidence to go by I know, but to me it just seems to be a good match. 

Agree. Would probably be on top of a short list of local coaches to potentially appoint.

9 hours ago, belaguttman said:

He lost both the Board and the dressing room

Not sure if that's the whole truth. Not defending him but there were a number of other issues going on surrounding his role as coach. 

Franjic said:

"Obviously I don’t really know what’s going on down there, there must be more to it, but (it’s) definitely disappointing to see Mulvey go,” Franjic told FourFourTwo. "I had a good relationship with him last year and we won the double so it was a bit of a surprise, but at the end of the day football’s football. If the results aren’t there things can change quickly.”

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

Not sure if that's the whole truth. Not defending him but there were a number of other issues going on surrounding his role as coach. 

Franjic said:

"Obviously I don’t really know what’s going on down there, there must be more to it, but (it’s) definitely disappointing to see Mulvey go,” Franjic told FourFourTwo. "I had a good relationship with him last year and we won the double so it was a bit of a surprise, but at the end of the day football’s football. If the results aren’t there things can change quickly.”

Well he has come to a club that doesn't change quickly enough although everyone is screaming that it needs to change.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Still hoping for Gombau at the end of the season. You would think that having Guardiola at Manchester would create an even bigger carrot to land him. Just makes too much sense for it not to happen

Yes, #GombauWow for the lols

https://www.facebook.com/thebleaguesamjules/videos/607130749399264/?comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22O%22%7D

JVS has copped a lot of flak from some on this forum labelling him nothing more than a youth coach. Now I am not about to defend JVS but to me it raises an interesting conundrum. I note that a lot of coaches in the EPL, La Liga, etc don't seem to train youth (they have other coaches for that) and basically purchase players as required, usually a finished product. In effect these coaches are strategists and man managers. The A-League is a different proposition because one of the criteria for the league is to develop youth talent, and this is reinforced because talented players move through the system and then are sold to overseas clubs. So to me the conundrum is how much weight we should give to the ability to coach youth players?

As an example the CCM under Arnold were reknowned for their ability to develop elite youth talent but in the same period I cannot remember a Sydney coach capable of doing the same. Gombau, Ange, and JVS also come to mind in spotting and developing raw young talent. Whereas Lowe does not, neither does JA.

So although Benitez and Mourinho are available would they be able to develop these younger players? Somehow I think not. Having Dutch friends, they have also told me that Louis van Gaal is actually quite good at developing young players - in spite of his travails at Man U at the moment.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone on here suggests that we shouldn't attempt to develop young players. What many of us feel is that our current Head Coach does this at the expense of a hard-nosed approach to winning A-League and FFA Cup matches and hence winning silverware and participating in the Asian Champions League. There is sufficient evidence from this half-season alone to indicate that van 't Schip promotes youth players to the senior squad on a regular basis while overlooking more experienced players in the squad. I'm not suggesting that he does this to deliberately throw away points, but it could be argued that that might be the outcome of some of his decisions. 

• Like 1