Melbourne Football

World Cup 2018 - Russia

raw10

• 2 years later...
45 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

For some reason I'm ridiculously pumped about this, what are our early predictions? 

Can't wait for those late-night sessions watching the games with the old man in front of the fire, brilliant.

Thats if we even qualify

I'd put my money on France, Belgium or Germany

Edited by haz

11 hours ago, haz said:

Thats if we even qualify

I'd put my money on France, Belgium or Germany

I would like to see Belgium deliver. With their current crop of players there really is no excuses. They have elite to world class players in just about every position now, hopefully they don't underwhelm like they did at the Euro's

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

We were one minute away from beating Belgium away, drew twice with Bosnia, beat everyone else.

Last 3 games draws. Everyone else? Yeah those powerhouses Gibraltar Cyprus and Estonia. 

Belgium are the main team and its out of Greece and Bosnia. 

• 3 months later...

Poland being 6th in the FIFA world rankings will probably mean a POT A seeding. 

Looks like a huge opportunity with lots of strong teams missing out.

Europe: Netherlands, Czech Rep, Wales (hopefully the few more after the playoffs)

Africa: Ivory Coast 

CONACRAP: USA

Asia: Australia*

17 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Poland being 6th in the FIFA world rankings will probably mean a POT A seeding. 

Looks like a huge opportunity with lots of strong teams missing out.

Europe: Netherlands, Czech Rep, Wales (hopefully the few more after the playoffs)

Africa: Ivory Coast 

CONACRAP: USA

Asia: Australia*

All those countries that didn't qualify is for a reason. They are currently shit. They have been replaced by higher quality and Poland is up there with a great current group of players but judging teams on past histories is dangerous. Being seeded is a big advantage but you have to earn it. 

It's an interesting time in the game at the national level as several traditional powers are struggling in paticular Netherlands Argentina and to a lesser degree USA.

Ye I was meaning to pop Chile is there. Thats huge. 

South America looks really weak this time around. Argentina don't play as a team. Uruguay are beatable despite their beast strike force. Columbia are ok. Peru are shit. Only Brazil look good. 

Germany/Belgium/Spain will have a field day this world up. 

Iceland the dark horses again. 

Even the traditionally strong Asian teams are pretty shit this time around. This is probably the worst Japan side I've seen in a while, South Korea almost didn't qualify directly, and then there's us, if we qualify. The strongest Asian team is definitely Iran, and they probably have the best chance of advancing from the group stage.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Nate said:

all this doesn't really matter anyway, the 31 teams who qualify that aren't Germany are just making up the numbers tbh

Not so sure about that. Along time until the Word Cup starts and alot can happen. Germany definitely are in a good space but there a several others that will have a say. Brazil and Spain and then some outsiders like Belgium Poland and you can't ignore individual like Messis Argentina or Ronaldos Portugal. 

I'm hoping for a Balkan resurgence and hopefully Serbia and Croatia can get out of the group stage. 

59 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Just booked my seat for whatever game is on 22 June at St Petersburg. Fingers crossed its Australia or Iceland... I wanna join in on the Viking clap 

I hope you bring your fighting gloves for the russian ultras

• Like 1

• 6 months later...