Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

Possibly the dumbest display by Heart/City that I have seen. Perth played exactly the same way again tonight as they did last time, and unsurprisingly scored three goals again, hit the bar, missed a couple of sitters, and despite all the criticism of him, had several shots well saved by Bouzanis.

Just as against Victory our ball transition was so painfully slow we just gave Perth aerobic recovery time. And were hit on the counter so quickly for two goals in succession I thought I was watching an Under-7 team.

Also we had no Plan B for penalties. A squad on salaries reaching $9m and we haven't got another penalty taker?

I vote this the worst display of coaching we have seen from JvS. I can't see the point in keeping him after this.

Just the same old crap from van 't Schip:

Melbourne City coach John van ’t Schip dismissed questions about his squad’s desire after failing to kill off Perth Glory in Tuesday night’s 3-3 draw at AAMI Park.

City coughed up leads on three occasions as their winless run stretches to four matches, leaving the early-season favourites 11 points adrift of leaders Sydney FC.

“I’m not going to say the effort wasn’t there. The effort was there,” van ’t Schip told Fox Sports.

“But we didn’t do certain things good that we know we have to if we want to play this kind of game. There I think we let ourselves down a bit.

“They had to run more than we actually wanted to because it was that open in the first half and that’s something we have to look at.

“It’s a disappointing result for us. We want to win, we need to win this game but in the end it is what it is and we have to move on.”

While frustrated with City’s inability to convert their chances, van ’t Schip did praise his side for gaining more control of the contest after half-time.

“We missed a big opportunity to go ahead 3-1 and then we were sleeping (on Perth’s) break, and instead of 3-1 it’s 2-2,” he said.

“The second half was a lot better, more organised. We were controlling the game more.

“You can still win the game 4-3 (through Fornaroli’s penalty). But still after that Perth looked very dangerous on the counter as well.”

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:38 AM, n i k o said:

Funny you think Muscat is condescending..anyway moving on. Maybe when your done answering @KSK_47 maybe we can try a different approach. Tell me what it is about our players that is the reason we are sitting in at 4th position. Your so adamant that JVS isn't the problem I'd like to hear your reasoning. Keep in mind Sydney is 9 points ahead, victory 2 points ahead with a game in hand and we have a full starting eleven list available (bar the derby with Jakobsen out). Also keep in mind of the last 5 games we have played we have won only 1. 

Feel free to pick and choose any player/s you feel aren't performing....

With the squad we have we should be performing better. No doubt, no disagreeing. Am I stirring the pot with my 'alternative thoughts'? Yes. Do I believe that JvS gets the rough end of the pineapple on here? Yes. Does he deserve it? Maybe, moving towards yes, based on results over the history of the club. I don't know if he is a good manager. I'm not involved in the club and have never had any involvement in a professional sporting organisation. I only trust that these multi-million dollar businesses employ the best people both on and off the field and that the City Group have enough really smart football people involved who will know what the best thing is. Call that blind ignorance maybe. Back to my earlier statement about if he is a good manager. The results tend to point towards no - something isn't working. I still strongly believe that a lot of the comments posted here are unreasonable in nature and that is one of the issues I have a problem with here. I'm clearly looking at the personable aspect of things and maybe I'm blind to the real issues? Christmas has made me reflective and hopefully rational and not condescending or sarcastic (:P).

How can we be so poor defensively one week with poor structure and decision making and strong the next? Players not consistent? Message not getting through for any of the fulltime staff they have? How the hell can 2 penalties be saved in one match? Why the hell did Bruno pick the same spot 3 times and why didn't Cahill take one to mix things up? That decision rests solely with the players.

Bouzanis was poor to say the least. 2 of the 3 goals should be regulation saves. That would've made it 3-1.

Bruno missed 2 pen's. Massive error.

Caceres seemed to lack penetration and confidence. Is that the reason he doesn't often start or is that a consequence of him not often starting?

For mine we missed Fitzgerald, Malik and Jakobsen.

When we a good - shit we're good. When bad - well........................ Probably a product of high pressing free wheeling football that entertains and get the bums on seats. Is that the backbone of TCG's business model? I just want to win the GF any way possible.  

12 hours ago, Donald said:

With the squad we have we should be performing better. No doubt, no disagreeing. Am I stirring the pot with my 'alternative thoughts'? Yes. Do I believe that JvS gets the rough end of the pineapple on here? Yes. Does he deserve it? Maybe, moving towards yes, based on results over the history of the club. I don't know if he is a good manager. I'm not involved in the club and have never had any involvement in a professional sporting organisation. I only trust that these multi-million dollar businesses employ the best people both on and off the field and that the City Group have enough really smart football people involved who will know what the best thing is. Call that blind ignorance maybe. Back to my earlier statement about if he is a good manager. The results tend to point towards no - something isn't working. I still strongly believe that a lot of the comments posted here are unreasonable in nature and that is one of the issues I have a problem with here. I'm clearly looking at the personable aspect of things and maybe I'm blind to the real issues? Christmas has made me reflective and hopefully rational and not condescending or sarcastic (:P).

How can we be so poor defensively one week with poor structure and decision making and strong the next? Players not consistent? Message not getting through for any of the fulltime staff they have? How the hell can 2 penalties be saved in one match? Why the hell did Bruno pick the same spot 3 times and why didn't Cahill take one to mix things up? That decision rests solely with the players.

Bouzanis was poor to say the least. 2 of the 3 goals should be regulation saves. That would've made it 3-1.

Bruno missed 2 pen's. Massive error.

Caceres seemed to lack penetration and confidence. Is that the reason he doesn't often start or is that a consequence of him not often starting?

For mine we missed Fitzgerald, Malik and Jakobsen.

When we a good - shit we're good. When bad - well........................ Probably a product of high pressing free wheeling football that entertains and get the bums on seats. Is that the backbone of TCG's business model? I just want to win the GF any way possible.  

A good coach should be able to.............ah forget it im only going to say something that has been said in the last 117 pages. #JVSOUT 

• Like 3

This is just another JvS season except that we have actually won something - the FFA Cup. We started with the usual unbalanced squad with known deficiencies and including rejects from other A-League clubs, made the assumption that our star striker could repeat last year's success (which was always very unlikely), and then unbalanced the squad further by signing a specific player so we can play in sky blue shirts next season, now have the usual mounting injury list, the inexplicable selections, the inept bench management, and the inexplicable promotion of one or two "favourite" youth team players in critical matches, the repetitive mantra of "still learning, still improving" (even though we're doing the opposite), and above all the rigid adherence to a game plan that all the other coaches worked out two months ago.

Happy New Year everyone!

• Like 5

At least heart management admitted they screwed up by appointing aloisi as a head coach and sacked him 18 months into his contract. 

People go on about magic of cfg, the money and "professionalism" of the group. I think too much fairy dust gets in your eyes. 

Surely there is a difference between what ja had to his disposal "mifsud" and what jvs has to work with.

why is this idiot still at the club is beyond me  

If they were serious about football here they would scrape the gangrene that jvs is and get a manager who can bloody manage!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jestr said:

At least heart management admitted they screwed up by appointing aloisi as a head coach and sacked him 18 months into his contract. 

People go on about magic of cfg, the money and "professionalism" of the group. I think too much fairy dust gets in your eyes. 

Surely there is a difference between what ja had to his disposal "mifsud" and what jvs has to work with.

why is this idiot still at the club is beyond me  

If they were serious about football here they would scrape the gangrene that jvs is and get a manager who can bloody manage!

I don't understand it either. I can't see that Melbourne City in it's present shambolic state on the playing field is helping the "brand image" one iota. In fact I'd say it's damaging it. 

IMO Petrillo ought to go along with JvS. His "talent management" has been absolute rubbish. If they had any decency they would resign. At least Merrick had the guts to do that at Phoenix.

TBH I'm surprised the senior players in our squad haven't rebelled against the game plan that we're using. I don't know the inside workings of the club, but perhaps Sorensen already has. Beginning also to think that Jakobsen isn't exactly busting a gut to get back on the field.

JvS has poisoned every squad he's had.

• Like 1

JVS SLAMS INCONSISTENT CITY

Melbourne City coach John van't Schip has slammed his side's display in their 2-2 draw with Central Coast.

City snatched a point away from home thanks to a late penalty from Bruno Fornaroli. But van't Schip did not hide his disappointment after the game, stating that his team "did not deserve to win".

The glamour side have yet to win a game since taking out the FFA Cup at the end of November.

"I was very disappointed about that ending," van 't Schip admitted.

"First half we were OK, we came up 1-0. It was a great goal. In the second half when we started we just lost control. They won every ball, we couldnt keep the ball. They had more passes. In saying that we had one of the biggest opportunities to go 2-0 up, with Brucey Kamau one on one with the keeper.

"But then he decided to cross it instead of keep on running it in and have a shot. We got a corner out of that situation and they scored on the break from that corner. So... instead of going 2-0 up it was 1-1. And after that we just lost control.

"It was again a moment of not being sharp on the break. In the end we could have won it. But, to be honest, we didn't deserve to win today. We expected to play better and we didn't.

"That's credit to the Mariners but also that we didn't deliver the way that we played in the first half, we didn't continue that in the second half. We helped them into the game. For our standards we're not happy of course."

City sit in fourth spot on the ladder, 13-points off league-leaders Sydney FC, and van 't Schip said he wanted more consistency from his star team in the second half of the season.

"We're happy about the win in the FFA Cup but that's gone," he said.

"That's part of the season. Looking now at what we've achieved in the last games, it's not what we're happy about.

"We dropped too many points. We had four draws and a loss. Too many games we play one half good, the other half not.

"This game we were good in the first half and not in the second half. In the other games it was the other way round. It's not consistent and just not good enough."

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/jvs-slams-inconsistent-city-446159

Seriously fuck off! It's your job to manage this shit.

• Like 2

With the team he has, he should just resign. Our under-performance has everything to do with his failure in every single aspect of management.

Take some responsibility you moron, don't you know that speaking publicly like this effects the team morale. 

You just proved again you are not only a shit coach, but you are a shit person.

Do something honourable for once and pack your bags and go, you have no place here anymore.

• Like 2

JVS blames the players for the lost when it was his dumbass decision to press the defenders high and his dumbass decision in all games to play attacking for the whole 90 minutes and his dumbass decision to sub to late or sub stupid hacks. And wtf is Kamau doing. If that was Fitzgerald he would have had confidence to take an easy shot from that range.

Edited by xXCiTyZeNXx
  • Like 1

Trying to be as objective as I can (probably because of the knowledge we are finally coming to the home stretch of JVS reign) the guy is probably not a shit person. He has ideologies of the way, in his mind, football should be played. He clearly has football philosophies dating back to the old Total Football days heavily influenced by Cruyff. In his mind I'm sure he knows exactly what he wants in terms of the teams performances but reality is when your confronted with modern day thinking managers and man management decisions it's not as simply as applying your philosophy and it working. I don't think he has evolved enough as a manager to succeed in almost any league and is probably too old to change his philosophy either. 

The sign of any good coach is one that evolves and continues to learn. Unfortunately he doesn't seem like he has tweaked his tactics to suit his philosophy of coaching. IMO it's the single most reason why he will more than likely never be a successful coach. 

As much as we would all want him to quit I can't see it happenning. We know our results aren't good enough but winning the FFA Cup and still sitting in fourth position isn't shit enough for a coach to want to quit. Everyone believes they can turn things around and I'm sure JVS thinks he can as well. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Trying to be as objective as I can (probably because of the knowledge we are finally coming to the home stretch of JVS reign) the guy is probably not a shit person. He has ideologies of the way, in his mind, football should be played. He clearly has football philosophies dating back to the old Total Football days heavily influenced by Cruyff. In his mind I'm sure he knows exactly what he wants in terms of the teams performances but reality is when your confronted with modern day thinking managers and man management decisions it's not as simply as applying your philosophy and it working. I don't think he has evolved enough as a manager to succeed in almost any league and is probably too old to change his philosophy either. 

The sign of any good coach is one that evolves and continues to learn. Unfortunately he doesn't seem like he has tweaked his tactics to suit his philosophy of coaching. IMO it's the single most reason why he will more than likely never be a successful coach. 

As much as we would all want him to quit I can't see it happenning. We know our results aren't good enough but winning the FFA Cup and still sitting in fourth position isn't shit enough for a coach to want to quit. Everyone believes they can turn things around and I'm sure JVS thinks he can as well. 

Agree with all that. Wont go before the end of the season since he issnt coming back anyway. Only way I can see that changing is if they have identified and signed his replacement. 

• Like 1

We are on track to cop a similar 7-0 hiding that NYCFC copped in the MLS playoffs. Because that's the scoreline we would have been hit for last night if we were playing Sydney or victory. Now if CFG are happy to further damage there brand by keeping jvs on so be it, they are fast losing credibility though.

Edited by Geo400
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, n i k o said:

The problem is that they are delaying inevitable which is an unsuccessful season with JVS a manager. 

So they either write off the season, which results in losing their opportunity to grow the fan base, lose the player's and member's faith in the club, and then need to spend the first half of next season developing on-field success. Rather than getting rid of JVS and spending the remainder of the season developing a game plan that can be successful and having players and members back on board.

The way I see it is the players are again showing signs of losing faith, and this needs to stop before there is irreversible damage.

The demoralising effects of the game plan being flawed, the lack of plan execution due to the unreal expectations placed on the players, and the JVS's continual deflection of the responsibility away from himself and putting blame on the players smells rotten.

Everyone is smelling the putrid stench of this failure.

Get rid of JVS now CFG. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The problem is that they are delaying inevitable which is an unsuccessful season with JVS a manager. 

So they either write off the season, which results in losing their opportunity to grow the fan base, lose the player's and member's faith in the club, and then need to spend the first half of next season developing on-field success. Rather than getting rid of JVS and spending the remainder of the season developing a game plan that can be successful and having players and members back on board.

The way I see it is the players are again showing signs of losing faith, and this needs to stop before there is irreversible damage.

The demoralising effects of the game plan being flawed, the lack of plan execution due to the unreal expectations placed on the players, and the JVS's continual deflection of the responsibility away from himself and putting blame on the players smells rotten.

Get rid of JVS now CFG. 

I would also add the question what was the point of bringing Cahill into the team if CFG are going to squander the publicity with an under performing manager? Plus the tide of fans Yoshi brought along...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I would also add the question what was the point of bringing Cahill into the team if CFG are going to squander the publicity with an under performing manager? Plus the tide of fans Yoshi brought along...

We signed Cahill to get concessions from FFA, one of which is that we will play in all-sky-blue home jerseys from next season onwards. FFA created the "guest marquee" rule specifically for Cahill, and we were the only ones prepared to sign him. The publicity was for FFA, not for Melbourne City. Any benefit for us is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Get rid of JVS now CFG. 

Multiple likes. The trail of wreckage left by JvS is astonishing - players, assistant coaches, results, fans.

Edited by jw1739

6 hours ago, playmaker said:

Get rid of JVS now CFG. 

I agree with what you've said. My point, and one that isn't really discussed much on here objectively, is to understand JVS coaching style/philosophy.

Thinking objectively again we could sack JVS and instate an interim manager at this point in time. However a potential outcome that could happen is that manager could cause more instability and we could even drop outside the top 6. Not playing finals would be the worst result that could happen. I'd imagine CFG would tread carefully here because they may just believe JVS is good enough to keep us in the top 4 which in turn would garuntee us a home final again. It's not ideal but these are the questions they'd be asking without doubt. 

Just to make it clear with the above should our results continue on this path that they have been on recently will be the exception to the above. Right now we are 6 points ahead of Perth but 7 points from being outside the top six. Should we look as though we will drop outside the six then that'd be the time CFG would act I'd say. 

A question, has any interim manager within the A-League actually been able to turn a teams results for the better? 

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

I agree with what you've said. My point, and one that isn't really discussed much on here objectively, is to understand JVS coaching style/philosophy.

Thinking objectively again we could sack JVS and instate an interim manager at this point in time. However a potential outcome that could happen is that manager could cause more instability and we could even drop outside the top 6. Not playing finals would be the worst result that could happen. I'd imagine CFG would tread carefully here because they may just believe JVS is good enough to keep us in the top 4 which in turn would garuntee us a home final again. It's not ideal but these are the questions they'd be asking without doubt. 

Just to make it clear with the above should our results continue on this path that they have been on recently will be the exception to the above. Right now we are 6 points ahead of Perth but 7 points from being outside the top six. Should we look as though we will drop outside the six then that'd be the time CFG would act I'd say. 

A question, has any interim manager within the A-League actually been able to turn a teams results for the better? 

When Ian Crook resigned, Frank Farina was appointed interim manager and he made a huge difference. Due to those results, Farina was given a contract but the following season results did not ensue. Then of course, when Aloisi was sacked, JVS was appointed interim manager and he stated he was not interested in the job long term BUT he changed his mind when CFG took over.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

We're due for our mini-run of wins before the inevitable end of season collapse