Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

Oh well we are stuck with him a bit longer, what's troubling is how quiet we are. Other teams are making announcements of new signings, especially WSW who are already making good progress.

We could have done with Jamieson. :(

All in good time Moops. Since the takeover the vast majority of signings have been spot on. We're not the heart anymore. We're actually an appealing destination that's making strides on and off the field. I have complete faith in the CFG to eventually get it right.

Don't think I agree with the highlighted statement at all. The star signing - Mooy - was actually initiated before the takeover and while JA was still coach. The two-season extensions to Hoffman and Williams I regard as misguided, and I'm not impressed by either Koren or Kennedy. And I think we released Safuwan prematurely.

While I think at this stage your "all in good time" comment is appropriate, history suggests to me that van 't Schip is indeed tardy in making new signings, whether as Heart or City, and I do share that  unease that Moops is expressing with his comment.

So what are your thoughts on Melling, Chapman, Duff? And the injury replacements in Jaliens and Novillo? And teh contract extension to Velaphi?

Oh well we are stuck with him a bit longer, what's troubling is how quiet we are. Other teams are making announcements of new signings, especially WSW who are already making good progress.

We could have done with Jamieson. :(

All in good time Moops. Since the takeover the vast majority of signings have been spot on. We're not the heart anymore. We're actually an appealing destination that's making strides on and off the field. I have complete faith in the CFG to eventually get it right.

Don't think I agree with the highlighted statement at all. The star signing - Mooy - was actually initiated before the takeover and while JA was still coach. The two-season extensions to Hoffman and Williams I regard as misguided, and I'm not impressed by either Koren or Kennedy. And I think we released Safuwan prematurely.

While I think at this stage your "all in good time" comment is appropriate, history suggests to me that van 't Schip is indeed tardy in making new signings, whether as Heart or City, and I do share that  unease that Moops is expressing with his comment.

So what are your thoughts on Melling, Chapman, Duff? And the injury replacements in Jaliens and Novillo? And teh contract extension to Velaphi?

We could of had a home final if Velaphi had been played from day dot instead of a Keeper who was already in a terrible slump from the Season prior.

Also Novillo was clearly a CFG signing and Jaliens was simply good luck due to the shit storm at Newcastle and we needed a bloke that could play as a Full back in some capacity another issue that also costs us a number points in the first half of the year.

Granted Meiling and Chapman were good signings, but its pretty obvious that being younger players they came for the club's CFG connections and not to play under JVS.

Melling and Chapman were good signings. But both are young and need to learn how to control their aggression. Jaliens surprised me, and despite his age I thought he might even get an extension into next season. Velaphi's extension was a sound one because Redmayne went downhill last season. But he's still not what I would like to see between the sticks for City.

I am not as enamoured of Novillo as others are. I'm on record as saying make him an offer, but if he doesn't like it then "bye-bye" because there's plenty of players like him running around in the European second leagues.

I know I'm in a minority on Duff, but on his performances I just would not have picked him as a player who had come directly from the EPL. No way.

I don't resile from the view that the "spot on" signings since the takeover do not constitute a "vast majority."

Melling and Chapman were good signings. But both are young and need to learn how to control their aggression. Jaliens surprised me, and despite his age I thought he might even get an extension into next season. Velaphi's extension was a sound one because Redmayne went downhill last season. But he's still not what I would like to see between the sticks for City.

I am not as enamoured of Novillo as others are. I'm on record as saying make him an offer, but if he doesn't like it then "bye-bye" because there's plenty of players like him running around in the European second leagues.

I know I'm in a minority on Duff, but on his performances I just would not have picked him as a player who had come directly from the EPL. No way.

I don't resile from the view that the "spot on" signings since the takeover do not constitute a "vast majority."

I follow your thinking on Novillo

flashes of brilliance, can do some good things, I'll give him the thumbs up for taking it to the opposition and having a shot, but goes down when someone breathes on him and doesn't chase his own man back , ie the overlapping fullback

• Like 1

IMHO Melling and Chapman have been our best signings since the previous season started, Valaphi made a claim to be on the books, Jaliens is better than we had, but we could do better.

Novillo showed he could be good for us, yet he had a tendency to be selfish. I don't think he trusted other players around him that much,the only player he would consistently pass to was Mooy, you could see his reluctance when passing to anyone else. But because of our capped league, he has to sign for the right money.

Duff was good, but he was on his last legs, it was disappointing to see him get injured.

• Like 1

I would want more of a look at Melling and Chapman before making up my mind.

Both need to stem their aggression. Let's see how Melling recovers from his injuries as well. It is a fine line between being controlled aggressive and Muscat aggressive. For me the jury is out.

With Novillo, I have stated elsewhere, he is not what we need. He is more intent on rolling his shorts up and displaying his big thighs than putting them in the back of the net!

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/32980980

No chance but live in hope

It may sound naive but is Viera ready for a senior Job? Being in charge of the EDS team (youth) how would that transfer to being the main guy. Our next manager I hope has have won a title somewhere as a senior coach as a bare minimum. Edited by Jovan

Both need to stem their aggression. Let's see how Melling recovers from his injuries as well. It is a fine line between being controlled aggressive and Muscat aggressive. For me the jury is out.

With Novillo, I have stated elsewhere, he is not what we need. He is more intent on rolling his shorts up and displaying his big thighs than putting them in the back of the net!

I know this will be unpopular opinion but Muscat was a successful footballer, his aggression obv hurt parts of his career but the guy was a Socceroo for years and played at a fairly high level at Wolves for seasons. He even won a treble with a good Rangers side in the twilight of his European Career who were competing with a Celtic side who were doing well in Europe at the time with blokes like Larsson on their books. 

Also even I as a noted Muscat hater even I cannot discount his physical presence as playing a major role in winning MV championships as a player and now as a Manager.

I also dont think either Meiling or Chapman are ever going to be as dangerous footballers as Muscat (This would be a pretty hard feat to match) so I dont see their aggression being such a problem. In fact our club(s) have always had need for such a player and this was demonstrated by when we lost Shroj and how much better the side became when Meiling's aggression was added to the team last Season.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 5

I know this will be unpopular opinion but Muscat was a successful footballer, his aggression obv hurt parts of his career but the guy was a Socceroo for years and played at a fairly high level at Wolves for seasons. He even won a treble with a good Rangers side in the twilight of her European Career who were competing with a Celtic side who were doing well in Europe at the time with blokes like Larsson on their books. 

Also even I as a noted Muscat hater even I cannot discount his physical presence as playing a major role in winning MV championships as a player and now as a Manager.

I also dont think either Meiling or Chapman are ever going to be as dangerous footballers as Muscat (This would be a pretty hard feat to match) so I dont see their aggression being such a problem. In fact our club(s) have always had need for such a player and this was demonstrated by when we lost Shroj and how much better the side became when Meiling's aggression was added to the team last Season.

true Cadete, I can dislike he guy, but he made a career out of being an average player who was a hard nut, and did very well for himself. 

cadets I agree with you. Despite his significant character flaws he was the key to the visitors success through both his organisation on the field and his ball distribution out of defence that helped make the visitors such a good counter-attacking team. As he got slower though he just became more violent on the field and undermined his playing reputation (or enhanced it depending on which part of his reputation you look at). We have never had a player that organises the field and imposes himself on the game. JVS had that when he played in the Dutch national team (Cruyff) but he was never that sort of player himself.

cadets I agree with you. Despite his significant character flaws he was the key to the visitors success through both his organisation on the field and his ball distribution out of defence that helped make the visitors such a good counter-attacking team. As he got slower though he just became more violent on the field and undermined his playing reputation (or enhanced it depending on which part of his reputation you look at). We have never had a player that organises the field and imposes himself on the game. JVS had that when he played in the Dutch national team (Cruyff) but he was never that sort of player himself.

Hmmm I thought JvS played with Marco van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard and that era, not Cruyff.

Thought Cruyff was done by the time JvS played for Holland. 

But anyway, yeah get the point you're making!

Hmmm I thought JvS played with Marco van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard and that era, not Cruyff.

Thought Cruyff was done by the time JvS played for Holland.

But anyway, yeah get the point you're making!

Maybe Jordi Cruyff haha. Cruyff Snr retired early from international football. Would have been at least ten years between JVS and Cruyff's NT careers. Reckon JVS might have got a season or two with him at Ajax though when he was starting out and Cruyff was finishing up.

Comparing Cruyff to Muscat in any sense is the worst thing I've ever read.

The Ideal Solution for me is that Meiling stays largely injury free and reaches his peak at an Archie Thompson like level where he is on the NT fringe but stays playing in the A-League with us as a highly CFG paid Aussie Marquee.

He has already shown a lot of the qualities listed above hence why I refer to him as: Gazza.

Edited by cadete

The Ideal Solution for me is that Meiling stays largely injury free and reaches his peak at an Archie Thompson like level where he is on the NT fringe but stays playing in the A-League with us as a highly CFG paid Aussie Marquee.

He has already shown a lot of the qualities listed above hence why I refer to him as: Gazza.

Hopefully he matures and doesn't finish with any issues like the one you have named him after.

Yes the name change is good (whoever did it, wasn't me), the reason the thread was 2014-2015 edition was to distinguish from previous calls for JVS to be sacked, during his previous tenure. I never saw him being here for the upcoming season so I thought the thread would only apply for the 14-15 season. But here we are, another season, JVS still in charge.

We're going to sack the coach who took us on our most successful run in club history last season? He's our most successful coach in our history, some of you blokes got NFI :droy:

We're going to sack the coach who took us on our most successful run in club history last season? He's our most successful coach in our history, some of you blokes got NFI :droy:

hahahahahahaha

hilarious LOL, mr 33% as aopposed to Mr JA 20% 

Yes, you are both right, the coach who has taken us on our most successful run in our history is Mr 33%. That just underlines how unsuccessful we have been.

• Like 1

Who wants to chip in for a hit on this bloke?pass the hat around, see what we can do.

I reckon the Greek construction worker will do it on the cheap, as long as we pay him cash in hand

I'm sure if we just opted for a kidnapping we would be able to get a better price

Who wants to chip in for a hit on this bloke?pass the hat around, see what we can do.

I reckon the Greek construction worker will do it on the cheap, as long as we pay him cash in hand

I'm sure if we just opted for a kidnapping we would be able to get a better price

This is a form of bullying! Can a report this to one of the moderators cheers.

My sources at the club confirmed he is staying on because CFG are more interested in developing youth then the team's performance, and JVS does a good job bringing through the youth.

They hope to have one player come through to the Man City first team within the next 5 years to justify their investment.

• Like 1

I know a few Chaps who could do it on the cheap  ;)

• Like 1

My sources at the club confirmed he is staying on because CFG are more interested in developing youth then the team's performance, and JVS does a good job bringing through the youth.

They hope to have one player come through to the Man City first team within the next 5 years to justify their investment.

I sincerely hope that CFG have higher aspirations for Melbourne City than that. Otherwise, we will rightly be justified in asking "Whatever happened to '...a Melbourne club for Melbourne people'"?

• Like 1

Who wants to chip in for a hit on this bloke?

pass the hat around, see what we can do.

tasteless

Eat a dick :up:

tasteless

you know what a dick tastes like?

or wasn't that a culinary observation?

Only my own....because I can.

wow, must be a bit like a self saucing pudding.

sorry, in poor taste myself :)