Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

Murfy1 you have made a strong case. I even had a look at the Melbourne Rebels average attendance figures and Heart were below them. SM should be released.

Why would he be let go when the club overall is on the up, it doesn't make sense.

I do agree with Murfy1 that a Melbourne club has enormous potential, but you need some investment to break into the market, especially given how established Victory were. Melbourne Heart were never going to achieve its potential under the owners it had.

Basic, I don't think SM did a bad job with Melbourne Heart, and with more resources, Melbourne City as a club are doing better overall. I really don't think it's the time to be calling for SM to go.

Murfy1 you have made a strong case. I even had a look at the Melbourne Rebels average attendance figures and Heart were below them. SM should be released.

The rebels have no competition. If you like Union, the only team you can support in Melbourne is the rebels!

You should be comparing the storm with rebels - one club one market.

Compare apples with apples.

Next will you be comparing Citys attendances with AFL clubs?

Exactly. When entering a market place you need to fulfill a missing need. For the Rebels simply existing is enough because it covers the gap in the market. Us on the other hand need to do more than simply exist to attract people.

Regards to Munn I don't think he has done a particularly great job, but all things considered I don't think he should be put on the block. Not yet anyway. As the club (hopefully) grows the pressure for him to keep up will too. But for now I think we have more pressing issues that need to be addressed.

Which is a nice way to get this thread back on track...

Laurentiu Reghecampf might be in need of a job soon...

I was quite impressed the way he had Al Hilal playing

Me too.I'd never head of this guy, but his team got robbed by the ref.

Ultimately I would think City would see Champions of Asia as their goal.  Looking at some of the top coaches in Asia is soemthing we should look at.  

Why would he be let go when the club overall is on the up, it doesn't make sense.

I do agree with Murfy1 that a Melbourne club has enormous potential, but you need some investment to break into the market, especially given how established Victory were. Melbourne Heart were never going to achieve its potential under the owners it had.

Basic, I don't think SM did a bad job with Melbourne Heart, and with more resources, Melbourne City as a club are doing better overall. I really don't think it's the time to be calling for SM to go.

JVS was the highest paid coach in the League in his first stint.

The playing roster was never the worst in the league.

We play in the best football pitch in Australia (unlike Newcastle, Mariners and Perth, all of whom have played in Grand Finals).

I don't know about the training facilities, people say the were poor, but were they any worse than what they get in central and Sth America, and their players seem to do OK.  The wheelie bins get mentioned, but ice is ice, whatever the container it comes in.

Football is a simple game.  IMO these are the last 5 percenters.  Doesn't explain 4 going on 5 years of utter failure.

FWIW I remember being around when a mate asked Munn off the record what he thought of JVS prior to JA's first game in charge at the club and JVS had moved on to Mexico.

Munn basically indicated that he had a very high opinion of JVS as a manager and wished JVS could have stayed on but he did not begrudge the man for going due to the money on offer in Mexico.

Edited by cadete

Pim Verbeek is available. He was watching Sydney FC yesterday.

He withdrew his interest in the Sydney job when he found out his good friend Graham Arnold was interested.

Pim Verbeek got the Socceroos ranked 14th. in the world! We're now 94th.

Pim Verbeek had the Socceroos playing within their limitations, and built a game plan based upon firstly having a solid defence and being hard to beat, unlike the leaky Socceroos defence we have today and the very leaky defence we have at City.

Verbeek is of course famous for saying it was better to train in Europe than play in the A League, and when asked how the A League can improve said something along the lines of how many hours do you have.

However, recently he has been full of praise for the A League, saying it has now developed into a very good competition.

FWIW I remember being around when a mate asked Munn off the record what he thought of JVS prior to JA's first game in charge at the club and JVS had moved on to Mexico.

Munn basically indicated that he had a very high opinion of JVS as a manager and wished JVS could have stayed on but he did not begrudge the man for going due to the money on offer in Mexico.

So not only does he have a track record of poor results, he will also leave you high and dry if someone offers more money. Obviously that's not really an issue anymore but it says a lot about him.

I understand that's modern football, theres no loyalty anymore etc but it's a two way street. You don't want to give loyalty or time to grow the club fine. But don't expect it back.

Any reorganisation at Latrobe HQ is going to depend on what objectives have been set for the parties concerned.

I'm one who expected some major changes as soon as last season finished, but these did not eventuate. Given that our PR seems intent on trying to portray City as a new club rather than a metamorphosis of Heart, CFG may be more circumspect with change than most of us bolted-on and long-suffering Heart supporters would like.

However, I can't see them being happy with looking at the table and seeing their "City" name languishing towards the bottom and being well off the pace of the leaders.

So IMO it's going to be a delicate balancing act. I'm afraid that I'm not getting my hopes up too high at this stage.

Edited by jw1739

Popovic won the Asian Champions League with a starting 11 including; Shannon Cole, Topor-Stanley, Golec, Mark Bridge, Labinot Haliti, Appiah and Santalab. On paper, that is a pretty terrible side. Imagine JVS with that squad.. we would seriously struggle to wine one game all year in the A-League, let alone the ACL.

The sign of a good manager is getting the best out of players- not matter how good or bad they are. It's the man-management/motivation aspect of coaching that I think JVS lacks strength. That is what is so important and all great managers have it - Mourinho and Ferguson are prime examples. They don't spend that much time 'coaching', but rather, set tactics and manage players personalities and mentalities to get them playing at the best.

• Like 2

Popovic won the Asian Champions League with a starting 11 including; Shannon Cole, Topor-Stanley, Golec, Mark Bridge, Labinot Haliti, Appiah and Santalab. On paper, that is a pretty terrible side. Imagine JVS with that squad.. we would seriously struggle to wine one game all year in the A-League, let alone the ACL.

The sign of a good manager is getting the best out of players- not matter how good or bad they are. It's the man-management/motivation aspect of coaching that I think JVS lacks strength. That is what is so important and all great managers have it - Mourinho and Ferguson are prime examples. They don't spend that much time 'coaching', but rather, set tactics and manage players personalities and mentalities to get them playing at the best.

I don't disagree with your theme, but that WSW side included Ante Covic.  Swap him for Andrew Redmayne and what happens in both legs?

Now you may well ask, why did we sign Redmayne instead of Covic then?  That question would be best answered by the likes of JA and JD, who were in charge of recruitment at that point.

I don't disagree with your theme, but that WSW side included Ante Covic.  Swap him for Andrew Redmayne and what happens in both legs?

Now you may well ask, why did we sign Redmayne instead of Covic then?  That question would be best answered by the likes of JA and JD, who were in charge of recruitment at that point.

While I dont disagree that Covic is a better keeper, its not like he won the Asian champions league for them single handedly. He was not exactly Mr Clean sheet during his stint at Victory was he?

The rebels have no competition. If you like Union, the only team you can support in Melbourne is the rebels!

You should be comparing the storm with rebels - one club one market.

Compare apples with apples.

Next will you be comparing Citys attendances with AFL clubs?

Actually sport comes under discretionary spending/entertainment. So the competition is not only the other team in the league of your choice but all discretionary spending, hence economists can compare attendance to football with attendance to tennis or attendance to the NGV (and certainly the ABS does). Secondly, having been around for 50 years, I had only ever met one person in Melbourne whose passion was Union but had met a few who were keen on League.  And the Rebels just like Heart and Storm were formed from scratch. I am surprised that the Rebels had tapped into a hitherto (at least to me) market gap. Given that the AFL dominates Victoria, both the Rebels and Heart have to be eating into the AFL market dominance, and how successful they are in doing so. Then there is the additional group of people who don't attend or follow AFL but are willing to go to Union or Football matches.

Finally it is possible to compare the rate of growth for the AFL and other codes. Two years ago the statisticians found that all four codes were growing healthily but that the growth of football was outstripping the others. The biggest loser was cricket that had shrunk by 6%.

Redmayne was initially signed in January 2012 while JvS was still in charge. His contract was extended by two years in June 2013 by JA.

Redmayne was initially signed in January 2012 while JvS was still in charge. His contract was extended by two years in June 2013 by JA.

And Redmayne was the No. 2. when signed in January 2012, where he should have stayed.

And Redmayne was the No. 2. when signed in January 2012, where he should have stayed.

He was signed to take over when Bolton retired

JVS was the highest paid coach in the League in his first stint.

The playing roster was never the worst in the league.

We play in the best football pitch in Australia (unlike Newcastle, Mariners and Perth, all of whom have played in Grand Finals).

I don't know about the training facilities, people say the were poor, but were they any worse than what they get in central and Sth America, and their players seem to do OK.  The wheelie bins get mentioned, but ice is ice, whatever the container it comes in.

Football is a simple game.  IMO these are the last 5 percenters.  Doesn't explain 4 going on 5 years of utter failure.

Given the results I dare say that Heart/City do have a crappy playing list. And certainly last season they were the worst. The results are there for all to see. And as far as South and Central America, their top clubs definitely do have top notch facilities - countries that have poor football club facilities don't get far, when was the last time you heard of a gun player from Bolivia? or Nicaragua?

Also the number of boys playing football in those countries exceeds those that play here simply because football is their only sport (well the rich private schools play union as well).

I do agree with you though that facilities albeit important is not the most critical component.

I don't get the "on paper" concept. The results are what matters and the results point to that those players, team and manager are better than City. And right now we are seriously struggling to win one game this season. Mourinho and Ferguson could sack players and hire players during the transfer window at will. The A-League with its salary and player cap discourages this. And certainly Ferguson was a great man-manager but he also built a great team of coaches around him to ensure that the skill and fitness levels were top notch.

He was signed to take over when Bolton retired

Actually, looking at the details, when Redmayne was signed in January 2012 the club had Clint Bolton, Nikola Roganovic and Sebastian Mattei on the books, so it's not even clear that Redmayne was the no 2.

As for this: 'He was signed to take over when Bolton retired', ,no player has a right to walk straight into a team. Many people across the Australian football community in 2012 thought Redmayne was a top goalkeeping prospect: he was the goalkeeper in the Australian U-20 and U-23 sides, he trialed with Arsenal and it was assumed that only because Brisbane Roar had the excellent keeper Michael Theo in the starting XI that Redmayne was not getting game time.

So Redmayne was worth taking a punt on, and signing up as one of the club's goalkeepers, but it was not decided in January 2012 that Redmayne would be, or had to be the club's no 1 goalkeeper (of course, it was hoped that young Redmayne would live up to his much vaunted potential, and that he could in the future become a good no 1, but it's not like he was contractually obligated to play as the club's no 1).

Only in the 2012/13 season, when Aloisi out of desperation dropped Clint Bolton mid-season because results were going south and the team looked flat, did Redmayne get played as the club's no 1 goalkeeper (Bolton wasn't even really putting in bad performances. And at very least Colosimo and Matt Thompson were much better candidates to be dropped). Then Aloisi thought Redmayne looked decent over the remaining half season (even though the team fizzled over the remaining season and finished 9th) and signed him on a contract until 2017, and then didn't sign another keeper who could comfortably walk in to the number 1 position, and instead signed Tando Velaphi (who's had a very mixed career) to be the no 2 behind Redmayne in the 2013/14 season.

So there was nothing fated about Redmayne becoming the club's no 1. And who knows, maybe if Aloisi didn't randomly drop Bolton in the middle of the 2012/13 season, perhaps Bolton would have played on (Bolton is, after all, only 39 and the same age that Ante Covic currently is). But instead Aloisi turned Redmayne into the club's no 1, helped pushed the club's (and JVS') no 1 goalkeeper Clint Bolton out of the club, and then didn't sign another GK capable of being a no 1 last season. 

And that's how Redmayne ended up being the club's no 1, and courtesy of John Aloisi the club is stuck with Andrew Redmayne until 2017.

Edited by Murfy1

He was signed because Bolton was going to retire and Redders was being groomed to take over. You can speculate all you want.

No, you're speculating that JVS or Milicic would have played Redders over Bolton in 2013/14, or in 2014/15. 

Just because a player was signed (like I said, whilst there were 3 other GKs in the team) it doesn't mean they are destined for 1st team selection.

Coaches sign players, especially young players, all the time with the hope that they'll be good (or become good) enough for regular first team action, and then realise the players are shit (or don't fit in the team or W/E) and don't select them.

It was JA than ensconced Redmayne in the 1st team as the No 1, in the same way that JA got rid of all our fullbacks and replaced them with Ramsay and Hoffman, and didn't sign any capable strikers (instead he punted for the likes of Macallister, Mebrahtu and Mifsud). It's quite clear if you look at the issues properly that a lot of the weaknesses in the squad can be traced back to JA's poor squad building, that left complete vacuums of player quality in the positions of GK, LB, RB and ST, and sadly next to none of those vacuums have since been filled.

Murf, as you know I have a huge respect for you and although our opinion on certain things often differ I still think there is a great deal of merit in what you have to say.But if you think any of those other keepers had a sniff (at least in the short term) you are kidding yourself.

I do agree that there were some poor signings under JA and yes those positions have yet to be addressed.

Anyway. We have been over this again and again. I can't be bothered anymore.

Murf, as you know I have a huge respect for you and although our opinion on certain things often differ I still think there is a great deal of merit in what you have to say.But if you think any of those other keepers had a sniff (at least in the short term) you are kidding yourself.

I do agree that there were some poor signings under JA and yes those positions have yet to be addressed.

Anyway. We have been over this again and again. I can't be bothered anymore.

Have to agree with you KSK. As we lurch into our fifth season of poor results I just long for the day when we are winning and that this forum will be discussing positives and not what has gone wrong in the past. Do the supporters of other clubs churn over this sort of stuff over and over again? I doubt it.

Seriously, this club has got to jerk itself out of the rut it is in and learn how to deal with the "now" situation. That's why I want to see changes made, because all I can see is management that makes the same mistakes over and over again.

It was always clear, at least to me, that Redmayne was signed to take over from Bolton. I don't think that necessarily a bad thing. He was an available player, who was rated as a good prospect, and the club didn't know what would be available a year down the track. It wasn't a bad move, and football clubs make these sort of longer term signings all the time, all over the world, because you can't rely on the right player being available at the right time. You need to plan ahead.

At the same time, when an obvious deficiency in the squad appears, most football clubs are going to react and look at what players are available now to make an immediate impact to the squad. This is where the club failed. When it became obvious Redmayne wasn't of A-League standard, and there has been at least one offseason since that became clear, a signing should have been made to remedy the situation.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 4

I have given JVS time to try and show what he can deliver but the cracks are getting larger by the week.

He claims that the players lack the mental toughness, but the missing element in this is that he is the manager and it's his job to instill that.

It's been an issue for the entire history of our club, with mental lapses far too common on each season.

What I see is a manager that now has an idea of how he wants to play but just can't get the most out of his team to make it work. He either has the players to do it or he needs to quickly adapt to a system that will bring results.

My issue though is where the CFG style of football plays into his decision making? Is he persisting with this because of a directive, hoping it clicks at some point soon?

I'm concerned that what we are doing is ruining out chance to maximise this opportunity for us to build a solid fan base. Even those like me and many others who have remained strong through the crap we continue to be dished up are losing interest.

Seriously can't be bothered dealing with more disappointment and investing energy in a club that just can't perform. Get it right City and do it fast, or next year it won't be gloating about 10k members, as it will free fall.

Vent over..

Edited by Heart_fan
  • Like 1

I was also under the impression that Redmayne was signed to take over Bolton who was going to retire. Then watching SBS at the end of the season Bolton was asked what his plans for the future were and he responded that since he had not had an offer from the club he had to start at looking at his options. Fell of the couch at that point because the impression the club gave me was that Bolton was willingly retiring and that clearly said no. And yes JA was in charge.

I also though that Redmayne was signed until the end of this season, that is until 2015 not 2017 as you Murfy just mentioned. WTF!!?!!.

The other thing is that if some people thought that Redders had potential, what happened? If I assume that that potential was real then the club is obviously failing to develop it; alternatively if his talent is furtive and he was given such a long contract then the club talent spotters are not doing their job right.

Finally I recall that after the first season when Peter Zois retired, JVS said in an interview that the club was looking for a decent back up goal keeper but were finding that task difficult. It seems that it is still difficult.

It was always clear, at least to me, that Redmayne was signed to take over from Bolton. I don't think that necessarily a bad thing. He was an available player, who was rated as a good prospect, and the club didn't know what would be available a year down the track. It wasn't a bad move, and football clubs make these sort of longer term signings all the time, all over the world, because you can't rely on the right player being available at the right time. You need to plan ahead.At the same time, when an obvious deficiency in the squad appears, most football clubs are going to react and look at what players are available now to make an immediate impact to the squad. This is where the club failed. When it became obvious Redmayne wasn't of A-League standard, and there has been at least one offseason since that became clear, a signing should have been made to remedy the situation.

Too logical. Can apply the same reasoning to half a dozen other players. Some random rants needed though :)

I also though that Redmayne was signed until the end of this season, that is until 2015 not 2017 as you Murfy just mentioned. WTF!!?!!.

Yes, I'm sure that Redmayne is out of contract at the end of the present season. Not sure where Murfy gets 2017 from, but I don't think he's correct on that one.

Apparently Manchester city are looking to replace pelegrini. Hopefully they show that ruthlessness here after this weeks loss

The stories say "at the end of the season", which isn't exact high ruthlessness. And they say that CFG want Diego Simeone, which makes the story nonsense, because Simeone is a highly combustible manager who argues and fights with his players, which is exactly what they supposedly decided they were never going back to after Mancini got sacked for falling out with every single member of the playing staff, board room and a large number of the administrative staff.

Edited by Falastur

Apparently Manchester city are looking to replace pelegrini. Hopefully they show that ruthlessness here after this weeks loss

The stories say "at the end of the season", which isn't exact high ruthlessness. And they say that CFG want Diego Simeone, which makes the story nonsense, because Simeone is a highly combustible manager who argues and fights with his players, which is exactly what they supposedly decided they were never going back to after Mancini got sacked for falling out with every single member of the playing staff, board room and a large number of the administrative staff.

Well ruthless compared to us waiting 19 games or what ever it was and doing untold damage to the players that were there in the squad before finally ending it all. 

Edited by Dylan