Melbourne Football

MCFC v NEW - Round 2.

mitchellmcleod

Why is it called "pressing" rather than "pressuring"

as simple as it might seem, i've always thought of pressing as in "pressing" or pushing a button.  something that means simply you apply force in a forward direction to create an outcome as part of a machine (arguably a team could be a machine on the thought players are the different parts that make the machine work - or in some instances break down easy :) ).

when you looking at pressing in football, often incorporates the concept of pushing the opponent as far away from goal as possible and mostly up / towards the other end of the field (in other words, to push them as far back for attacking team / as far forward as for the defending team) and to create an eventual change of possession.  

i'm sure that teams would love to win the ball straight away when pressing, but often the focus comes across as get the opponents as far back to force a mistake / turnover as a means of poor play by the team working as a unit.  the better the team presses as a unit, the harder it is for the opponent to break through the different lines (ie defence, midfield)

pressuring on the other hand can be more individually focused, and not necessarily directed at getting an opponent as close to their own goal (ie pressuring in the penalty area for an immediate turn over to either score yourself or to clear).

I think the term comes from basketball parlance. When I used to play (in the last millenium mind you), we talked about "half-court" and "full court press". It means what is says. You get "in your opponents face" and mark them closely whether they have the ball or not. This then allows no "free" men anywhere on the park. Roar used to do it with excellence.

The word is an abreviation of pressure obviously, but it has been slangafied.

With regards to the basketball version though, what happens is if the other team has the ball in its defensive half (e.g. after you've just scored), you stack extra defenders in the area and put pressure on the ball carrier, double teaming them at every opportunity. The idea is you'll either take the ball off the carrier, or he'll panic and try to throw it over the press (since there might only be one defender on the other side of halfway), which becomes easy pickings for the next line of defenders, since it's usually pretty well telegraphed.

I guess the same philosophy can sort of be at play here, but the size of the field, number of players, presence of the goalkeeper, offsides rule, consequences of giving up an easy opposition score in the sports etc., make it a bit different in execution. Still the whole concept of swarming and suffocating the opposition, especially when they are in their own defensive half seems to translate pretty comfortably. Naturally, basketball teams take it to another level, because of the nature of the game.

as simple as it might seem, i've always thought of pressing as in "pressing" or pushing a button. something that means simply you apply force in a forward direction to create an outcome as part of a machine (arguably a team could be a machine on the thought players are the different parts that make the machine work - or in some instances break down easy :) ).

when you looking at pressing in football, often incorporates the concept of pushing the opponent as far away from goal as possible and mostly up / towards the other end of the field (in other words, to push them as far back for attacking team / as far forward as for the defending team) and to create an eventual change of possession.

i'm sure that teams would love to win the ball straight away when pressing, but often the focus comes across as get the opponents as far back to force a mistake / turnover as a means of poor play by the team working as a unit. the better the team presses as a unit, the harder it is for the opponent to break through the different lines (ie defence, midfield)

pressuring on the other hand can be more individually focused, and not necessarily directed at getting an opponent as close to their own goal (ie pressuring in the penalty area for an immediate turn over to either score yourself or to clear).

I think the term comes from basketball parlance. When I used to play (in the last millenium mind you), we talked about "half-court" and "full court press". It means what is says. You get "in your opponents face" and mark them closely whether they have the ball or not. This then allows no "free" men anywhere on the park. Roar used to do it with excellence.

With regards to the basketball version though, what happens is if the other team has the ball in its defensive half (e.g. after you've just scored), you stack extra defenders in the area and put pressure on the ball carrier, double teaming them at every opportunity. The idea is you'll either take the ball off the carrier, or he'll panic and try to throw it over the press (since there might only be one defender on the other side of halfway), which becomes easy pickings for the next line of defenders, since it's usually pretty well telegraphed.

I guess the same philosophy can sort of be at play here, but the size of the field, number of players, presence of the goalkeeper, offsides rule, consequences of giving up an easy opposition score in the sports etc., make it a bit different in execution. Still the whole concept of swarming and suffocating the opposition, especially when they are in their own defensive half seems to translate pretty comfortably. Naturally, basketball teams take it to another level, because of the nature of the game.

Someone ask silverdust to start a new thread for this

no Koren won't play

still sidelined with calf strain

inside source says maybe next weeks Derby

I agree with this.

Went and had a look at them train on Tuesday and he was not there. From memory, neither was Archibald. Said it all for me in terms of this weekend.

On the other hand, it was encouraging to see Willo and Germano train fully.

A few photos of training today: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/gallery-villa-trains-at-aami-park/1c3lh6ijewgpo190aq9c6rcjh0

david-villa-trains_1vmgc5sstc06h1fk3aloz

Villa looks ready for Sunday.

Good to see Germano actually moving around in training with the rest of them.

Surely photoshopped or from the archives.  Failing that he may have found a double?

A few photos of training today: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/gallery-villa-trains-at-aami-park/1c3lh6ijewgpo190aq9c6rcjh0

david-villa-trains_1vmgc5sstc06h1fk3aloz

Villa looks ready for Sunday.

Good to see Germano actually moving around in training with the rest of them.

Surely photoshopped or from the archives.  Failing that he may have found a double?

He's just there to translate Villa's trashtalk to Redders.

• Like 1

as simple as it might seem, i've always thought of pressing as in "pressing" or pushing a button. something that means simply you apply force in a forward direction to create an outcome as part of a machine (arguably a team could be a machine on the thought players are the different parts that make the machine work - or in some instances break down easy :) ).

i'm sure that teams would love to win the ball straight away when pressing, but often the focus comes across as get the opponents as far back to force a mistake / turnover as a means of poor play by the team working as a unit. the better the team presses as a unit, the harder it is for the opponent to break through the different lines (ie defence, midfield)

pressuring on the other hand can be more individually focused, and not necessarily directed at getting an opponent as close to their own goal (ie pressuring in the penalty area for an immediate turn over to either score yourself or to clear). I think the term comes from basketball parlance. When I used to play (in the last millenium mind you), we talked about "half-court" and "full court press". It means what is says. You get "in your opponents face" and mark them closely whether they have the ball or not. This then allows no "free" men anywhere on the park. Roar used to do it with excellence.

Someone ask silverdust to start a new thread for this

whats going on? i only got here. what kind of thread would you like? something about football, afl , politics? 

Anyone else a bit worried about how our active support will go this weekend.... I feel the People on this forum in the active are in a good position but the ones who are not maybe need some youtube videos or audio on the app with lyrics... I understand how hard it is

Should be taking notes from the RBB.

They have a Youtube account dedicated to uploading audio clips of a few of their main lads chanting with lyrics on screen.

And Not just one capo but several to coordinate the support!  

The chants are simple and not to complex and a good mix of old and new. I will make sure we are not overloading everyone but making enough noise as we can.

I agree about the extra capos and really think this needs to be considered. Not forever but at least for the first few home games. The main capo can lead some secondary ones in each bay. We have so many new(and first time) active supporters that we really need them to feel included right from the first game to overcome their nerves about being so vocal, and that it's ok not to know all of the chants straight away. These "extra" capos could promote the Melburnians app and point people in the right direction to find out more about our active group. I'm happy to pitch in and help in any way if it's needed.

Is this match going to be on any Australian channels? I'm looking around but I don't think BT Sport is showing it, which probably means I'll have to find an Aussie stream to watch it on.

Also, 5am is a despicable time and I hate myself for wanting to do this. It's not even 11pm on a Friday and I'm about to go to bed. Who on earth even invented 5am?

Edit: freakin' lol. Just found why I couldn't find it on any schedules. The game is on Sunday. Thank the heavens I didn't actually wake up at 5am Saturday morning to find I'd got the wrong day.

Yes, for the record. I'm an idiot.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 6

Is this match going to be on any Australian channels? I'm looking around but I don't think BT Sport is showing it, which probably means I'll have to find an Aussie stream to watch it on.

Also, 5am is a despicable time and I hate myself for wanting to do this. It's not even 11pm on a Friday and I'm about to go to bed. Who on earth even invented 5am?

Edit: freakin' lol. Just found why I couldn't find it on any schedules. The game is on Sunday. Thank the heavens I didn't actually wake up at 5am Saturday morning to find I'd got the wrong day.

Its on our pay TV service and its called Fox Sports 1 (well thats what the channel is called anyway. 

Its on our pay TV service and its called Fox Sports 1 (well thats what the channel is called anyway. 

Turns out it is on BT Sport here. I was just looking at the wrong day. I have no idea how I convinced myself the game was a Saturday match, but I was absolutely adamant.

Anyway, cheers for the heads-up.

I bought a membership early this morning and I'm wondering what to do to get my ticket for tomorrows game?

When I spoke to the membership line yesterday the bloke said I just take proof of identity to the venue and someone can issue me a ticket to get to my seat?

Does anybody know the process for sure? I don't wanna buy another ticket just for tomorrow.

I bought a membership early this morning and I'm wondering what to do to get my ticket for tomorrows game?

When I spoke to the membership line yesterday the bloke said I just take proof of identity to the venue and someone can issue me a ticket to get to my seat?

Does anybody know the process for sure? I don't wanna buy another ticket just for tomorrow.

Go to the membership tent out the front of the stadium with Id and ask them. They give you a ticket. I had to do that a few years ago Edited by Dylan

Go to the membership tent out the front of the stadium with Id and ask them. They give you a ticket. I had to do that a few years ago

Awesome. Thanks mate!  :D

I purchased my membership on Tuesday and the club e-mailed me a Temporary e ticket that I could print out and use. Possibly ask them to send you one, will save waiting in the queue.

I see this game as a "must win" for us if we have ambitions for a top 4 finish.   Granted we have a few blokes out, however that will surely be the case every week. 

We are at home to one of the pre-season favourites for the wooden spoon, on top of that we are in our "Villa window".

The little I saw of Newcastle last week just left me cold, granted Flores didn't start, but even so if they reach mid table they will have done well.

3-1 win to the Hearts.  

• Like 1

Go to the membership tent out the front of the stadium with Id and ask them. They give you a ticket. I had to do that a few years ago

Where exactly is the membership tent? lol

As in, which street is the main entrance? Terrible question I know  :lol:

I purchased my membership on Tuesday and the club e-mailed me a Temporary e ticket that I could print out and use. Possibly ask them to send you one, will save waiting in the queue.

Thanks bud but I think it may be too late just gonna head to the tent to pick it all up on matchday. Appreciate the response though!

Where exactly is the membership tent? lol

As in, which street is the main entrance? Terrible question I know :lol:

Swan street. Inbetween the two main staircase entrances. Very hard to miss. Normally they put it infront of the storm and victory merch store

Newcastle are trying to pile pressure on Melbourne City: [coach Phil Stubbins:] 'They're going to be under the pump there's no doubt about that. There's all the expectations that go with them bringing the first game at home with Manchester City the new owners and all the millions that go with that.'

Also, interestingly Stubbins said 'we want to be proactive' : 'If we get in a mode where we do what we have to do when we don't have the ball and that's to press and to be very diligent about going about our roles I don't think it really matters who names are on the back of their shirt," he said'. I guess we'll see whether that's just bravado and they sit back and defend, or if they're sincere and they actually take the game to City.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-18/jets-confident-heading-into-melbourne-clash/5823714?&section=news

Melbourne City embrace A-League pressure

October 18, 2014

Rob Forsaith

Having won two titles with Brisbane Roar, Massimo Murdocca has a fair idea of what constitutes pressure in the A-League.

And the dynamic midfielder can only agree with recent statements by Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold and Newcastle Jets mentor Phil Stubbins - the heat is on at Melbourne City.

"The build up to that first game, it was probably the most pressure I've felt in my career," Murdocca, who has played in all 10 A-League seasons, told AAP.

"You know everyone's looking at the club - whether it's for David Villa or Damien Duff.

"Everyone wanted to know how we'd cope with the tag and the pressure.

"The boys responded quite well. Everyone stepped up. It's a great sign for the things we want to achieve, but it's only one game."

Nine months after shock revelations of Manchester City's investment in Melbourne Heart, the club's transformation is stark.

The City Football Group has delivered Spain's all-time leading goal scorer Villa on loan, while Irishman Duff and former Slovenia captain Robert Koren have brought a wealth of international experience.

High-profile Australian signings Erik Paartalu and Aaron Mooy, part of successful sides at Brisbane and Western Sydney respectively, impressed in round one.

It's paved the way for a season of great expectations at the reigning wooden spooners, and will bring no shortage of new fans to AAMI Park.

On Sunday, City host Newcastle and a crowd of approximately 15,000 is expected for Villa's first home game.

That would be three times as many that attended the corresponding fixture in 2013/14.

"That paints a picture of just how far this club has come in a short space," Murdocca said.

For all the buzz off the park, Murdocca knows his side must deliver on it.

"If we want to achieve and win things, you've got to be able to deal with that sort of pressure," the 30-year-old said.

"Both Erik and I did that at Brisbane.

"It's those moments of very high pressure that really separate you from good to great.

"At Brisbane we were great for a while there, and that's the standard we want to get to here."

Koren could make his A-League debut on Sunday, having missed the draw with Sydney FC due to a calf injury, while Villa will start.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/melbourne-city-embrace-aleague-pressure-20141018-3ic4m.html

• Like 1