MCFC v NEW - Round 2.

mitchellmcleod

Sunday, 19 October 2014

Melbourne City FC v Newcastle Jets

AAMI Park, Melbourne

Kick-Off: 3:00 PM

Referee: Jarred Gillett

#MCYvNEW

Melbourne City FC Line-Up: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 5.Erik PAARTALU, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 9.David VILLA, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Damien DUFF, 14.James BROWN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (gk), 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 26.Marc MARINO, 27.Ross ARCHIBALD

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 10.Robert KOREN (promoted) 15.David WILLIAMS (promoted), 17.Jason HOFFMAN (returns from suspension)

Outs: 25.Jacob MELLING (not selected)

Unavailable: 4.Connor Chapman (glandular fever – ongoing), 13.Jonatan Germano (2-5 weeks), 19.Benjamin GARUCCIO (2-5 weeks), 21.Stefan Mauk (returning from Young Socceroos duty)

Big in.

4-0 win

Probably a simple question but I just want to make sure before I get to the ground. I just scan my members card at the gate on Sunday? Tried to contact the club to ask the same thing but they were obviously too busy which is understandable. 

thats right, scan the barcode on the membership card and go off and sit were your membership is allocated to. very simple. 

Probably a simple question but I just want to make sure before I get to the ground. I just scan my members card at the gate on Sunday? Tried to contact the club to ask the same thing but they were obviously too busy which is understandable. 

thats right, scan the barcode on the membership card and go off and sit were your membership is allocated to. very simple. 

haha cheers, knew it would be. just needed to ask. 

Edited by interstatefan

It might be worthwhile to not change the team too much going into this game, given the impressive opening round showing from the team.

I think it might be better to play Murdocca in midfield alongside Mooy and Paartalu. Maybe Koren can come off the bench, but there's no need to rush a touch-and-go player like him into the team, especially as the Paartalu-Mooy-Murdocca midfield did so well last week.

Although it's very hard to guess what Koren's fitness is like from the outside looking in. Koren did have a decent pre-season with the team, and he was playing 90 minutes just a few weeks ago. Overall I guess if the fitness experts say he's good to go, then play him. However if there's any doubt, play Murdocca instead for this one game. 

I wouldn't mind Archibald playing again, as his debut was pretty solid. So either play him at RB again, or perhaps return Hoffman to RB and give Archibald a run in the LB position.

I also wouldn't be against leaving Hoffman on the bench. It would be good to urge all players to really compete to get into the squad, and there is an argument that stability and continuity would bring the most out of the defence, including new-look fullbacks Archibald and Ramsay (and the end of the day, none of the 3 fullback options, Hoffman, Archibald, Ramsay, are great. So ATM I don't think it matters too much which 2 of those 3 get picked).

Villa should be good to start IMO. Play him for 45 to 60 mins. That change alone should be more than enough to significantly improve the team. I'm still undecided where it's best to play him, though. Villa did get a good goal last week from the LW position, and it was from the LW position that Villa terrorized the Socceroos at the World Cup and scored his classy back-heel. I guess it sort of matters what other options there are..

If Williams is fit, it might be best to play him as the striker, and Villa at LW. However, if Williams isn't fit, or if he isn't that fit, I'd be fine with Dugandzic starting as the striker again. His defensive pressing and intensity was solid last week (another reason why it's maybe better to play Villa at LW rather than striker: because, at least right now, he doesn't have the fitness to do a lot of pressing and defending), and Dugandzic is the most preferable option out of him, Brown and Marino ATM IMO. 

So all up, I'd start Villa at LW and drop Brown to the bench, drop Ramsay and shift Archibald to LB and play Hoffman at RB, and start Murdocca and Dugandzic, but maybe substitute them both with Koren and Williams respectively in the second half (pending fitness. However if either are properly fit, start them).

It might be worthwhile to not change the team too much going into this game, given the impressive opening round showing from the team.

I think it might be better to play Murdocca in midfield alongside Mooy and Paartalu. Maybe Koren can come off the bench, but there's no need to rush a touch-and-go player like him into the team, especially as the Paartalu-Mooy-Murdocca midfield did so well last week.

Although it's very hard to guess what Koren's fitness is like from the outside looking in. Koren did have a decent pre-season with the team, and he was playing 90 minutes just a few weeks ago. Overall I guess if the fitness experts say he's good to go, then play him. However if there's any doubt, play Murdocca instead for this one game. 

I wouldn't mind Archibald playing again, as his debut was pretty solid. So either play him at RB again, or perhaps return Hoffman to RB and give Archibald a run in the LB position.

I also wouldn't be against leaving Hoffman on the bench. It would be good to urge all players to really compete to get into the squad, and there is an argument that stability and continuity would bring the most out of the defence, including new-look fullbacks Archibald and Ramsay (and the end of the day, none of the 3 fullback options, Hoffman, Archibald, Ramsay, are great. So ATM I don't think it matters too much which 2 of those 3 get picked).

Villa should be good to start IMO. Play him for 45 to 60 mins. That change alone should be more than enough to significantly improve the team. I'm still undecided where it's best to play him, though. Villa did get a good goal last week from the LW position, and it was from the LW position that Villa terrorized the Socceroos at the World Cup and scored his classy back-heel. I guess it sort of matters what other options there are..

If Williams is fit, it might be best to play him as the striker, and Villa at LW. However, if Williams isn't fit, or if he isn't that fit, I'd be fine with Dugandzic starting as the striker again. His defensive pressing and intensity was solid last week (another reason why it's maybe better to play Villa at LW rather than striker: because, at least right now, he doesn't have the fitness to do a lot of pressing and defending), and Dugandzic is the most preferable option out of him, Brown and Marino ATM IMO. 

So all up, I'd start Villa at LW and drop Brown to the bench, drop Ramsay and shift Archibald to LB and play Hoffman at RB, and start Murdocca and Dugandzic, but maybe substitute them both with Koren and Williams respectively in the second half (pending fitness. However if either are properly fit, start them).

Soooo this in the first half?

Redmayne

Archibald    -    Wieleart    -    Kisnorbo    -    Ramsay

Mooy      -      Paartalu      -      Murdocca

Damian Duff         -         David Villa     

Dugandzic

This in the second half?

Redmayne

Hoffman    -    Wieleart    -    Kisnorbo    -    Archibald

Mooy      -      Paartalu      -      Koren

Damian Duff         -         Williams     

Dugandzic

Subbed: Ramsay for Hoffman (or Duga for Brown depending on score), Murdocca for Koren, David Villa for Williams.

Its not my word, so I don't know why the term 'pressing' is commonly used. Perhaps it's because 'pressing' is more of an overall approach (hence why people speak of the 'pressing game'), whereas 'pressuring' or 'pressurising' is more suggestive of 'applying pressure' in more discrete or piecemeal fashion (so one could speak, for example, about the need to do more pressuring, without a team having to adapt a pressing game).

ATM, I wouldn't mind seeing this starting XI:

Redmayne

Hoffman    -    Wieleart    -    Kisnorbo    -    Archibald

Mooy      -      Paartalu      -      Murdocca

Damian Duff         -         David Villa     

Dugandzic

And then in the second half, Williams could replace Dugandzic, and Koren could possibly replace Murdocca.

Just my 2 cents ATM though, and a lot could potentially change before Sunday, as players like Koren and Williams could get much fitter in the lead up to kickoff on Sunday.

The good thing is with a number of players playing pretty well, and more good players nearing full fitness, is that there's a lot of options when it comes to setting up the team. So I reckon we'll see numerous different lineups, formations and tactical approaches this season.

Edited by Murfy1

Agree, as long as injuries don't dictate selection. If form and opposition are the main factors in team line up I think we'll be in a good place. I know we've only played 90 minutes but the balance and depth of the squad has gone through the roof this season and all of the new players have added to the team. I can't pinpoint any new guys being duds(so far), therefore if all things go well results should soon follow.

Note we haven't won since rd 21 last season.

We're massive favourites this week not sure what to make of that.

Quietly hopeful.

Why is it called "pressing" rather than "pressuring"

as simple as it might seem, i've always thought of pressing as in "pressing" or pushing a button.  something that means simply you apply force in a forward direction to create an outcome as part of a machine (arguably a team could be a machine on the thought players are the different parts that make the machine work - or in some instances break down easy :) ).

when you looking at pressing in football, often incorporates the concept of pushing the opponent as far away from goal as possible and mostly up / towards the other end of the field (in other words, to push them as far back for attacking team / as far forward as for the defending team) and to create an eventual change of possession.  

i'm sure that teams would love to win the ball straight away when pressing, but often the focus comes across as get the opponents as far back to force a mistake / turnover as a means of poor play by the team working as a unit.  the better the team presses as a unit, the harder it is for the opponent to break through the different lines (ie defence, midfield)

pressuring on the other hand can be more individually focused, and not necessarily directed at getting an opponent as close to their own goal (ie pressuring in the penalty area for an immediate turn over to either score yourself or to clear).

Edited by mattyh001

Why is it called "pressing" rather than "pressuring"

as simple as it might seem, i've always thought of pressing as in "pressing" or pushing a button.  something that means simply you apply force in a forward direction to create an outcome as part of a machine (arguably a team could be a machine on the thought players are the different parts that make the machine work - or in some instances break down easy :) ).

when you looking at pressing in football, often incorporates the concept of pushing the opponent as far away from goal as possible and mostly up / towards the other end of the field (in other words, to push them as far back for attacking team / as far forward as for the defending team) and to create an eventual change of possession.  

i'm sure that teams would love to win the ball straight away when pressing, but often the focus comes across as get the opponents as far back to force a mistake / turnover as a means of poor play by the team working as a unit.  the better the team presses as a unit, the harder it is for the opponent to break through the different lines (ie defence, midfield)

pressuring on the other hand can be more individually focused, and not necessarily directed at getting an opponent as close to their own goal (ie pressuring in the penalty area for an immediate turn over to either score yourself or to clear).

I think the term comes from basketball parlance. When I used to play (in the last millenium mind you), we talked about "half-court" and "full court press". It means what is says. You get "in your opponents face" and mark them closely whether they have the ball or not. This then allows no "free" men anywhere on the park. Roar used to do it with excellence.

The word is an abreviation of pressure obviously, but it has been slangafied.

• Like 1

Wow! I'm glad you wouldn't want to change too much! :lol:

VILLA SET TO START FOR MELBOURNE CITY

AAP

17 OCT 2014

Villa's arrival and first training session last week with Melbourne City were amazingly low key.

On the park he was the star attraction in round one, but didn't exactly feel the love with sections of the Sydney FC crowd booing him.

That will change this weekend.

Villa, who has scored goals and won titles in the world's premier competitions, will face Newcastle at AAMI Park in front of a crowd expected to nudge 15,000.

That's not a daunting prospect for a player who called the Camp Nou home during three seasons with Barcelona.

But in relative terms, it would be three times the number of people that watched the corresponding fixture in 2013-2014.

Everybody may be talking Villa, but City coach John van 't Schip does not hear a word they're saying.

Van 't Schip confirmed on Friday the 32 year-old would start, having come off the bench to score the equaliser against Sydney FC.

But the Dutchman grew tired of the focus on the Spanish FIFA World Cup winner during his pre-match press conference.

"I don't want to talk too much about David. I understand everyone wants to talk about David, but it's about the team," he said.

"That's the big thing with him coming in, he integrated very well.

"We have the game against Newcastle ... he's just one of the team and we knew that from the beginning."

Van 't Schip is hoping to regain the services of another man to have scored a goal at a World Cup, former Slovenia captain Robert Koren.

Koren tweaked his calf and missed round one.

The 34 year-old was slated to train behind closed doors on Friday, with the club to make a call the following day.

"Hopefully he can be with us. Otherwise, he will be with us next week," van 't Schip said.

David Williams is also set to return from injury, while defender Jason Hoffman is back from suspension and could take Ross Archibald's spot in the starting side.

"We're getting the team back to complete strength and that's a good thing," van 't Schip said.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/10/17/villa-set-start-melbourne-city

Edited by Murfy1