Melbourne Football

MERCHANDISE

silverdust

Look I agree with your sentiments about branding being important and that the brands themselves may try to get players to change clubs, but that's not really adding anything to your theory that VIlla is going to the MLS because of the kit maker. Do you think that article is accurate and not in any way fabricated because a journo was bored?

I really don't think we're at the point yet where players move clubs because of branding. Sure, it's a money driven game but I would be surprised if branding had any more influence than playing style/intended playing style/lifestyle/culture and straight up cold hard cash.

In Villa's case I would imagine that New York seemed like a good fit for all the reasons above.

Brands have an enormous influence on clubs. A player wearing your branded top is worth far more than wearing their shoes.  It is not necessarily a coincidence that Beckham went from Man United to Read (Adidas) and then on loan to AC Milan (Adidas).  Yes he did sign for a short period with PSG (nike) however this was after he signed a long term deal with Adidas.

Balotelli was highly linked with Arsenal (both sponsored by Puma). But the transfer fee could not be agreed

Villa - Adidas     Lampard - Adidas.

Look at the national teams. Ronaldo wears Adidas for Real but in order for Nike to get him to wear a nike top they sponsor Portugal.  Ribery the same.  Germany, Englan, Brazil, Dutch, Spain etc You need your player wearing your top. That's the money shot!

It helped NYC and Adidas that Villa and Lampard are associated with Adidas.  In sponsorship terms, as a player this had added at least 4 years of additional apparel sponsorship at a rate higher than had they continued to play in Europe.    

Money controls clubs - and apparel sponsorships are the highest income generators for clubs.  

A nike Melbourne city top would easily outsell a Kappa Melbourne City top.

hi-res-9dfccef78627b3ac7eeaed2ed952ec2b_

Who is his apparel sponsor?

Look I agree with your sentiments about branding being important and that the brands themselves may try to get players to change clubs, but that's not really adding anything to your theory that VIlla is going to the MLS because of the kit maker. Do you think that article is accurate and not in any way fabricated because a journo was bored?

I really don't think we're at the point yet where players move clubs because of branding. Sure, it's a money driven game but I would be surprised if branding had any more influence than playing style/intended playing style/lifestyle/culture and straight up cold hard cash.

In Villa's case I would imagine that New York seemed like a good fit for all the reasons above.

Brands have an enormous influence on clubs. A player wearing your branded top is worth far more than wearing their shoes.  It is not necessarily a coincidence that Beckham went from Man United to Read (Adidas) and then on loan to AC Milan (Adidas).  Yes he did sign for a short period with PSG (nike) however this was after he signed a long term deal with Adidas.

Balotelli was highly linked with Arsenal (both sponsored by Puma). But the transfer fee could not be agreed

Villa - Adidas     Lampard - Adidas.

Look at the national teams. Ronaldo wears Adidas for Real but in order for Nike to get him to wear a nike top they sponsor Portugal.  Ribery the same.  Germany, Englan, Brazil, Dutch, Spain etc You need your player wearing your top. That's the money shot!

It helped NYC and Adidas that Villa and Lampard are associated with Adidas.  In sponsorship terms, as a player this had added at least 4 years of additional apparel sponsorship at a rate higher than had they continued to play in Europe.    

Money controls clubs - and apparel sponsorships are the highest income generators for clubs.  

A nike Melbourne city top would easily outsell a Kappa Melbourne City top.

hi-res-9dfccef78627b3ac7eeaed2ed952ec2b_

Who is his apparel sponsor?

I think the issue with that is that in almost all of the club cases (international kits are pretty irrelevant, since a player is never going to refuse to play for his national team just because it isn't sponsored by his preferred brand), it would probably be easier for the giants like Adidas and Nike to let the player go wherever he wanted and just blow the club away with an offer to align with them as soon as possible, than it would be to worry about getting that player to a club that already has a deal with this or that apparel brand. It seems like clubs change brands almost as regularly as they change players

• Like 1

This is a bit strange: NYC has announced that it will be wearing Adidas.

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2014/11/10/new-york-city-fc-adds-adidas-official-partner

Wonder what Manchester City's deal with Nike is and whether City will be changing to the three stripes in the near future, as well?

From memory, MLS signed a deal with Adidas for their kits similar to our inaugural A-League season when Reebok sponsors all clubs' kits. So this is something they can't do anything about.

We seriously need better merchandise, the designs are horrible!!

They sell some crap don't they. Then the players run out with some of the best gear in the league. Not for sale.

Bloody idiots.

Surely they understand what profits they could be making if they make more merchandise available.

Not only do they need more merchandise, they also need some proper art direction. The stuff available looks horrid and as if they have gone to supplier that makes small business polo shirts and stuck a logo on it. 

Western Sydney are still the best looking team in the A-League

has anyone here used/worn macron before?

Have some West Ham Macron stuff, Not too bad. Sponsor iron ons were rubbish and fell of fairly quickly on one of my shirts (Avoidable if known about tho). Material is thicker than say your Nike/Adidas stuff but still fairly breathable. TBH better quality than the Adidas kits we currently have, would say below my nike england kit.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

All the current merch (except home kit and now the new caps) has FFAs fingerprints all over it.

I'm guessing that sort of poor merch is the minimum a club can offer and is driven by the FFA (I'm hoping anyway) and the reason is probably due the whole "nike is slow to get gear out for new clubs" mantra.

with any luck the new caps are the thin edge of the wedge and the nike driven merch train is about to pull into station like a fat football club santa on Christmas eve.

mixed metaphors brought to you at no extra cost

• Like 1

Literally just got off the phone from the club.

No new kits, home or away, until January.

that's fucking shocking if true, waiting for december has been bad enough

Ive ben told by someone else that they were advised that they expect the away kits to be ready before the Derby.

It seems like the story changes every week.

FFS. Surely if nothing else greed would make they want to bring it out before Christmas?

Heard that they dont want to release the away kit by itself before official merch so it doesnt get a free run

But there is already merch?

FFS. Surely if nothing else greed would make they want to bring it out before Christmas?

Heard that they dont want to release the away kit by itself before official merch so it doesnt get a free run

But there is already merch?

Official nike merch