Melbourne Football

Taking a while...

Sydneyheart

Is it just me who is taking longer than normal to adjust to the city tag over heart?

I have not been on the forum for a while but I'm still feeling a bit of a disconnect to the whole rebranding

If anything it feels like the red and white is being killed off slowly by the day with sky blue being brought in more and more over time, I mean look at the training gear in the last few days, not to mention the website.

I feel the away strips will be used very rearly and that within a season or two the red and white will be gone and lost forever.

Anyone else feeling like this?

• Like 1

Is it just me who is taking longer than normal to adjust to the city tag over heart?

I have not been on the forum for a while but I'm still feeling a bit of a disconnect to the whole rebranding

If anything it feels like the red and white is being killed off slowly by the day with sky blue being brought in more and more over time, I mean look at the training gear in the last few days, not to mention the website.

I feel the away strips will be used very rearly and that within a season or two the red and white will be gone and lost forever.

Anyone else feeling like this?

Red and white will always be our colour with the red cross at the heart of it, pardon the pun.

happy to have all colours, red, white and sky blue tbh, 

Perhaps something to get used to.

The club can try and destroy it but it'll remain in the stands.

Spot on.

This club will always be Melbourne heart to me regardless of how many times they change the name/colours

"But Melbourne heart were shit" People will say but guess what? They were my shit club! The attachment i had to Melbourne heart was quite different from any other club i have ever supported. We were constantly shit week in, and week out but guess what? I would still never miss a home game. That was due to the amazing works of yarraside plus the fanbase was amazing. Results are only a part of the reason i supported the club, i hope with 'Melbourne city' we don't get too many plastic supporters jumping onto the bandwagon (Might be a bit late to be saying this, just looking at the membership count, it looks like everyone has hopped on the bandwagon)

At the end of the day the club will always be Melbourne heart to me. I'll never wear a white and sky blue jersey always wearing red and white to games. We've lost some supporters in the process unfortunately, i just hope that they'll come back one day.

• Like 5

In 50 years nobody will look back and think "What a shame heart turned to city" because all that follows now is (hopefully) success.

In fact, I'm happy to be a part of the City family. Not only do we get financial security but we're now the biggest club in the A-League - just by being linked with City and thus will attract greater talent than other clubs in the HAL (Duff under the cap as an example). 

The official name, Melbourne City, now gives us a claim to this city which I like. 

Red and white is still a part of our badge (which honestly shits all over the heart one to be blunt) and I wouldn't be surprised if it is maintained as an away kit. 

• Like 2

The club can try and destroy it but it'll remain in the stands.

Spot on.

This club will always be Melbourne heart to me regardless of how many times they change the name/colours

"But Melbourne heart were shit" People will say but guess what? They were my shit club! The attachment i had to Melbourne heart was quite different from any other club i have ever supported. We were constantly shit week in, and week out but guess what? I would still never miss a home game. That was due to the amazing works of yarraside plus the fanbase was amazing. Results are only a part of the reason i supported the club, i hope with 'Melbourne city' we don't get too many plastic supporters jumping onto the bandwagon (Might be a bit late to be saying this, just looking at the membership count, it looks like everyone has hopped on the bandwagon)

At the end of the day the club will always be Melbourne heart to me. I'll never wear a white and sky blue jersey always wearing red and white to games. We've lost some supporters in the process unfortunately, i just hope that they'll come back one day. you are absolutely spot on mate! you just then said everything I would of said!

I really do struggle at times with all the changes. I hate the fact that our primary reason for existence is to be an offshore accounting exercise so that Manchester can rort the financial fair play laws.

We're also being used so Villa can play for minimum wage in the US.

We're also becoming a walking billboard to promote Manchester City. Every day the club seems more and more blue and more in line with the city image. The fact that the current home kit was meant to be an away kit makes it even worse for me.

Our plastic little club is suddenly a whole lot more plastic and it's a shame.

• Like 5

In 50 years nobody will look back and think "What a shame heart turned to city" because all that follows now is (hopefully) success.

In fact, I'm happy to be a part of the City family. Not only do we get financial security but we're now the biggest club in the A-League - just by being linked with City and thus will attract greater talent than other clubs in the HAL (Duff under the cap as an example). 

The official name, Melbourne City, now gives us a claim to this city which I like. 

Red and white is still a part of our badge (which honestly shits all over the heart one to be blunt) and I wouldn't be surprised if it is maintained as an away kit. 

See the badge pisses me off just as much as the sky blue tbh.

What was the point of involving the Melbourne flag in the badge when it means so little to the majority of Melburnians? In fact, did most people on here even know we had a flag? If they actually did their homework, they would've realised that their are much more noteworthy Melbourne icons they could've used to put on the badge (Flinder street station, Trams, yarra river ext.) And to make things even worse they bought out that bullshit explanation on why the badge was the way it is! Give me a break

But at the end of the day we're just a feeder club for Man city as Jimmy was saying so we should just shut the hell up and be happy with whatever we are given.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

What was the point of involving the Melbourne flag in the badge when it means so little to the majority of Melburnians? In fact, did most people on here even know we had a flag? If they actually did their homework, they would've realised that their are much more noteworthy Melbourne icons they could've used to put on the badge (Flinder street station, Trams, yarra river ext.) And to make things even worse they bought out that bullshit explanation on why the badge was the way it is! Give me a break

But at the end of the day we're just a feeder club for Man city as Jimmy was saying so we should just shut the hell up and be happy with whatever we are given.

To be fair, we did unfurl a massive flag prior to the end of the season.

To be fair, we did unfurl a massive flag prior to the end of the season.

The flag has been used numerous times by YS. Even long before the buy out. It was included in the badge to win fans over because they thought YS (and other supporters) had a strong connection with it.

• Like 3

But at the end of the day we're just a feeder club for Man city as Jimmy was saying so we should just shut the hell up and be happy with whatever we are given. To be fair, we did unfurl a massive flag prior to the end of the season.

The flag has been used numerous times by YS. Even long before the buy out. It was included in the badge to win fans over because they thought YS (and other supporters) had a strong connection with it.

That was my point.

Edited by Pete Heartspur

To say we are a feeder club of Manchester OR a way for them to get around fair play rules is utter crap. Where is the proof?

The flag was decided to be used on the logo based upon what Yarraside did with it (and I think that is a pretty important gesture) and I didnt hear anyone complaining that noone knew what the flag was then? Plus, people kept going on about how red and white were the colours of Melbourne which was based on this flag that noone knows about. 

• Like 1

To say we are a feeder club of Manchester OR a way for them to get around fair play rules is utter crap. Where is the proof?

The flag was decided to be used on the logo based upon what Yarraside did with it (and I think that is a pretty important gesture) and I didnt hear anyone complaining that noone knew what the flag was then? Plus, people kept going on about how red and white were the colours of Melbourne which was based on this flag that noone knows about. 

This would all be well and good if it actually was the MELBOURNE flag on our crest. It's not. It's a Melb-chester bastardisation. 

• Like 3

I'm still pretty disappointed that a red stripe wasn't added to the home kit (either alongside the sky and navy stripes, or in place of the navy). Just seems like such a simple thing they could have done to make a statement about the presence of red on the kit for the foreseeable future.

Just read this thread  and What a pack of whingers. Just be thankful we have a good team and a great stadium,who cares what colours are on the strip i certainly don't i just want to watch my team going all out to win, for gods sake grow up and get behind the club. Sick of all the nay sayers on this forum.

• Like 4

Just read this thread and What a pack of whingers. Just be thankful we have a good team and a great stadium,who cares what colours are on the strip i certainly don't i just want to watch my team going all out to win, for gods sake grow up and get behind the club. Sick of all the nay sayers on this forum.

I love this guy! You tell them johnno!

Seriously though, this is the truth. 3 cheers for johnocpfc.

These young whipper snappers need to learn a thing or two isnt that right johnno?

I really do struggle at times with all the changes. I hate the fact that our primary reason for existence is to be an offshore accounting exercise so that Manchester can rort the financial fair play laws.

We're also being used so Villa can play for minimum wage in the US.

We're also becoming a walking billboard to promote Manchester City. Every day the club seems more and more blue and more in line with the city image. The fact that the current home kit was meant to be an away kit makes it even worse for me.

Our plastic little club is suddenly a whole lot more plastic and it's a shame.

And that puts the whole "financial security" into question because you can bet your life that the various football associations will look at exactly the Villa-type of loop hole thats being exploited right now and close it off.

There will be some sort of "arm's length" rule put in to place so that 10 game loan stints don't cost several million dollars,whilst the parent clubs pays the same player peanuts.

When that happens what good will Melbourne be to CFG?

The question is.

Do people who sign up with City this year for the first time, get an 'Inaugural Member' badge? (srs questions)

I think the answer to this question will show how much these new owners care about the history of this club and if they have taken it into account.

But i agree, it does feel like they are actively attempting to cull the red and white day by day.  Was disgusted at the Sky Blue membership envelope that arrived in my letter box yesterday. Give me strength.

The question is.

Do people who sign up with City this year for the first time, get an 'Inaugural Member' badge? (srs questions)

I think the answer to this question will show how much these new owners care about the history of this club and if they have taken it into account.

But i agree, it does feel like they are actively attempting to cull the red and white day by day.  Was disgusted at the Sky Blue membership envelope that arrived in my letter box yesterday. Give me strength.

nope, they get a "1st year" badge. 5 year members get the inaugural badge.

Just read this thread and What a pack of whingers. Just be thankful we have a good team and a great stadium,who cares what colours are on the strip i certainly don't i just want to watch my team going all out to win, for gods sake grow up and get behind the club. Sick of all the nay sayers on this forum.

These young whipper snappers need to learn a thing or two isnt that right johnno?

You betcha. I was a fan of Crystal Palace back when the Football league was split into 4 divisions and they played in the 3rd division south with a different strip to the one they use now and they were called "the Glaziers" then when they won promotion from the 3rd div they changed the colours and became the Eagles but everyone still loved them and i still do. You see when you are born in a country where football is the leading sport you grow up following one team and one team only for the rest of your life along with changes of strip and names in some cases, it is still your team and always will be.

Maybe it's the couple of scotches talking but you make a good case johnno.

I don't know much about Crystal Palace but can I ask who it was that has instigated the changes? I'm still trying to reconcile with the fact that we aren't red and white, and there are 2 particular reasons as to why I'm still smarting:

1) We were bought out by a group whose primary purpose for doing so was to grow and spread their "brand" globally. In other words, they didn't buy Heart because they love football and wanted to own and run a successful team in Australia. They bought it because they want to make more money.

and

2) We've been fed rubbish words like wanting to respect and represent the history of Melbourne Heart, and that they were not going to turn us into a Man City clone. There is mounting evidence which suggests that neither of these things are happening besides a portion of the city of Melbourne flag being used in the badge, a scarf which is half red & white and half sky blue, and an away top which would never even have been if CFG had gotten what they really wanted! Nearly all available merchandise is predominantly sky blue, even though sky blue is not the clubs predominant colour!

We are being used as a marketing tool!

At this point in time i'm not sure if any amount of success is going restore my trust or fill the void of feeling like my team has been taken away from me. I have my membership and I'll turn up with mates every week in the hope that it does, but I don't agree that people like me should be told to stop whinging and just accept what has happened. You may have lived with the idea that a change of colours is acceptable, but many people in melbourne were brought up watching AFL where such a change isn't.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are still a number of people who were attached to Melbourne Heart and the red & white and are still not completely happy with the state of things. I don't have a go at people for accepting the changes, that's their prerogative. Maybe fellow supporters should be happy and accepting of the fact that these people are still around trying to maintain their allegiance.

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 5

The question is.

But i agree, it does feel like they are actively attempting to cull the red and white day by day. Was disgusted at the Sky Blue membership envelope that arrived in my letter box yesterday. Give me strength.

No I got a membership for my daughter for the first time it said first year I've been a member from hearts start mine says inaugural but really is colour an issue? If so then go support atletico Madrid, maybe Sunderland or even Southampton. Don't worry about supporting Melbourne city who's core supporters will always be those who supported heart. If the sky blue is not for you then just don't support. Alternatively accept our colour has changed stand side by side with those who you had in heart days and cheer on our city boys because as a club our goals have not changed win the league beat the tards that's what we came for :) Edited by drewmelbcity
  • Like 3

Can't believe i read all the posts. 

Anyhow, i'm a rusted on 5 year member with the inagural keyring etc

Loved the club before , love it even more now.     The new home strip is great , the away strip is great ...  Modern day teams change strips every 2 years. Who cares... Will still wear red & white away as will the team.

So they are splashing more sky blue around than we expected. Its training gear , next we will be complaining if they wear fluro pink bibs    

I still call it heart occasionaly - most people still are...   City probably works better and i'm liking that change to - just sounds better once you get used to it. 

Anyhow as much as every one is saying how much the club has changed, From my dealings with the club which there are many nothing else has changed apart from a bit of colour and better resources.

Every other aspect of the club is identical to last year, from staff to community programs to facilites(upgraded)

Also don't beleive what you read about us being a rort for Viila to beat the cap at NYCFC.

Whatever they have disclosed as his payment is for this year Which the team isnt even playing.   Wait till next year when they disclose his 2015 wage before judgement is made. 

These young whipper snappers need to learn a thing or two isnt that right johnno?You betcha. I was a fan of Crystal Palace back when the Football league was split into 4 divisions and they played in the 3rd division south with a different strip to the one they use now and they were called "the Glaziers" then when they won promotion from the 3rd div they changed the colours and became the Eagles but everyone still loved them and i still do. You see when you are born in a country where football is the leading sport you grow up following one team and one team only for the rest of your life along with changes of strip and names in some cases, it is still your team and always will be.Maybe it's the couple of scotches talking but you make a good case johnno.

I don't know much about Crystal Palace but can I ask who it was that has instigated the changes? I'm still trying to reconcile with the fact that we aren't red and white, and there are 2 particular reasons as to why I'm still smarting:

1) We were bought out by a group whose primary purpose for doing so was to grow and spread their "brand" globally. In other words, they didn't buy Heart because they love football and wanted to own and run a successful team in Australia. They bought it because they want to make more money.

I'd have to disagree there. I believe they love football as much as any other owner of a football club, maybe more? And they do want to run a successful team in Australia and also Asia. So yes in turn this will make them more money, but show me a football club or business that doesn't want to do this.

Jesus, flash about of marquee bling around and it's amazing how many people forget things like symbolism and pride.

Heart have been gutted, the only thing city wants to keep is the A-league licence, with a decent existing core base of fans if possible.

I agree that superficial changes to a club are nothing, however this is much more than that, entire values and beliefs have been changed. We are no longer a small club representing Melbourne, we are now a small club representing the City group. It all just feels a little too plastic.

Edited by AyeCee
  • Like 4

Niko, they probably do have a vested interest in the game. I went a bit over the top with a couple of things I said. I get a bit fired up when I hear people tell others to stop whinging about issues such as this. I don't sunscribe to the "true supporters support the club and should never say a bad word against it" idea.

It may seem trivial, but it also didn't help seeing the video murph posted about the birth of the derby where 'Heart' was replaced with 'City' when scores were put up.

And also hearing that people were prevented from referencing anything 'Heart' at the family day.

People have to realise that there are a few of us who still haven't fully accepted what has happened, but who have also helped push membership numbers to a record level for the club or are just still trying to remain as supporters. Surely that's better than losing them altogether?

And yes, given a bit of time I'm hoping I do love City as much as I did 'Heart. It might take 50 years, 5 years, or 1 home game in 2 weeks time, but as of October 5th 2014, I don't.

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 3

Just read this thread  and What a pack of whingers. Just be thankful we have a good team and a great stadium,who cares what colours are on the strip i certainly don't i just want to watch my team going all out to win, for gods sake grow up and get behind the club. Sick of all the nay sayers on this forum.

Johnno, I don't see the original post or the subsequent comment and discussion as whinging at all, not do I see it, as some others do, as re-opening the discussions on badge, name, colours etc. If you're on the forum every day you follow the various minutiae of the club's activities - "Have we signed Archibald?", "When's the next pre-season match?", "WTF is wrong with Germano this time?" and so on and so forth. When you're not reading the forum every day, and come back after an absence, it's rather different and IMO you tend to look at the bigger picture.

I interpreted Sydneyheart's OP as an introspective question along the lines of "Now that the various changes have taken place, how do I feel emotionally about Melbourne City and are my feelings the same as they were for Melbourne Heart?"

The question resonated with me, because when I went overseas in August I had limited access to the internet and therefore did not follow the forum for three weeks. When I returned I found myself asking the same questions about my attachment to Melbourne City.

Attachment to a football club for most people is not determined by the stadium the club plays in, the training facilities, success or otherwise on the field, or by anything that is logical or rational. It is determined by an unexplainable connection in the brain. People all around the world continue to support small clubs that exist in the very shadow of the big glossy stadiums of the premier clubs.

As has been suggested, the proof of the Melbourne City pudding will be in the eating. The next couple of seasons will determine whether City can incorporate and build on what was Melbourne Heart or have changed just a little too much too soon.

I like the red and white, but I didn't like not winning for 20 games, finishing last after finishing second last, dwindling resources and that sinking feeling when the attendance was announced at home games with the number 5 at the start. I'm still going to go with the same friends (and maybe some new ones), I'm cheering on most of the same players, at the same stadium, and maybe we'll even be able to attend a final for once! I barrack for Richmond, so I am quite happy to enjoy some success over my summers, even if it's because the Sheikh is kicking in the cash to make us the best team in Asia.

I do think it's funny that our club song now takes on a somewhat different meaning now...

I like the red and white, but I didn't like not winning for 20 games, finishing last after finishing second last, dwindling resources and that sinking feeling when the attendance was announced at home games with the number 5 at the start. I'm still going to go with the same friends (and maybe some new ones), I'm cheering on most of the same players, at the same stadium, and maybe we'll even be able to attend a final for once! I barrack for Richmond, so I am quite happy to enjoy some success over my summers, even if it's because the Sheikh is kicking in the cash to make us the best team in Asia.

I do think it's funny that our club song now takes on a somewhat different meaning now...

I like the part were you said Richmond :)

• Like 2

Niko, they probably do have a vested interest in the game. I went a bit over the top with a couple of things I said. I get a bit fired up when I hear people tell others to stop whinging about issues such as this. I don't sunscribe to the "true supporters support the club and should never say a bad word against it" idea.

It may seem trivial, but it also didn't help seeing the video murph posted about the birth of the derby where 'Heart' was replaced with 'City' when scores were put up.

And also hearing that people were prevented from referencing anything 'Heart' at the family day.

People have to realise that there are a few of us who still haven't fully accepted what has happened, but who have also helped push membership numbers to a record level for the club or are just still trying to remain as supporters. Surely that's better than losing them altogether?

And yes, given a bit of time I'm hoping I do love City as much as I did 'Heart. It might take 50 years, 5 years, or 1 home game in 2 weeks time, but as of October 5th 2014, I don't.

Regarding family day I don't know what that was about but I saw heaps of people wearing heart merch, and no one was told they couldn't as far as I knew.

I feel where your coming from because I feel the same uneasiness about the direction the club is taking regarding the colours and being a mini man city. And while I don't like accepting these things at the same time the reality of the situation keeps coming back to my mind. I can't explain how difficult it is for me to say this but melbourne heart was going under and going under big time, and while it's not easy to accept some of the new changes it is this fact that keeps coming back to me. Don't get me wrong though because my first preference was to keep the name, keep the colours and rebuild the club into what it is now forming to be. But new owners also have their preferences and they are what they are.

I am, amongst yourself and many others, one of those supporters that you mention that haven't totally accepted the changes but have helped push membership numbers to their highest.

Unfortunately though until the club is fully accepted for what it is and doesn't have the stubborn supporters who are still attached to the old melbourne heart, melbourne city cannot progress properly.