Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Pascoe Vale 23/9/14

InMyHeart

PREVIEW: Melbourne City FC vs. Pascoe Vale

Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Melbourne City FC will face Pascoe Vale SC on Tuesday night as the pre-season nears the all-important Round 1 clash with Sydney FC.

Pascoe Vale will be the final local side Melbourne City FC will play this pre-season with only 18 days remaining until the Hyundai A-League season opener against Sydney FC.

Melbourne City FC will head into the clash looking to test the full depth of its squad as players fight for positions at this late stage of the pre-season. The Club will also be playing a friendly against Perth Glory behind closed doors on Friday, with match time and recovery playing into the equation.

The Victorian National Premier Leagues side finished mid-table in the regular season, proving to be one of the best defensive sides in the league. Pascoe Vale are lead by Head Coach Vitale Ferrante and include former Hyundai A-League players Michael Ferrante and Carl Recchia.

Although the NPL season is over for Pascoe Vale, they will have a point to prove against an A-League opponent, using the match as a learning experience going forward and potentially as a dress rehearsal for next year’s Westfield FFA Cup.

Match Details

Pre-Season Friendly

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Melbourne City FC vs. Pascoe Vale SC

Epping Stadium

Entry is FREE

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/preview-melbourne-city-fc-v-pascoe-vale/a8elq6hikion15grx3qrnjyt6

Does anyone think that matches of this kind are worth anything other than getting players fit?

Matches against local sides (that is, state league or NPL sides), or pre-season matches in general? Either way, my answer to the question is not really. I think these matches are simply about getting players fit and ready for the season, where there's proper games where wins and losses actually count for something.

So IMO, all these matches are good for is getting players fit, and 'getting minutes into the legs' of as many players as possible. It's also a chance to test tactics, formations, fringe players and players in different positions. But still, just because some players or tactics worked well in pre-season that is no reason to persist with them long into the season. IMO pre-season experiments only offer hints at how players and tactics might go in the season, and such pre-season experiments can't be relied upon to accurately predication how players, teams and tactics will perform throughout the season.

I think at this club the pre-season results get analysed a lot because for whatever reasons the club hasn't actually beaten an A-League opponent in a pre-season match, out of the dozen or how ever many matches the club has played against A-League teams in 5 pre-seasons now, and it looks like a continuation of the negatives of Melbourne Heart with Melbourne City not winning any of its 4 matches this pre-season against A-League opponents. I'm not of the opinion though that 'nothing has changed', but still, if only to settle nerves (and to re-pay long suffering supporters), it would do a lot of good if Melbourne City could beat Perth Glory on Friday.

As for this game, and one's like it, I just want to hear that there were no injuries, that important/starting players (like, e.g., Paartalu) got of minutes into the legs, and that the team played the style of football that the coaching staff is aiming to produce with the senior team.

I think this particular match is all about individual performances. Seeing if there are any young players good enough to step up and play a role in the senior team. Also, the individual performances of Paartalu (first game), Hoffman (returning from injury) and Brown, Retre and Melling (fringe players) will be closely looked at. 

I reckon most of these triallists will probably end up in the NYL team.

Starting players are probably being rested for the Friday match against Perth as well.

I agree with JW. This is much more of a Melbourne City XI side than a Melbourne City side.

I think this particular match is all about individual performances. Seeing if there are any young players good enough to step up and play a role in the senior team. Also, the individual performances of Paartalu (first game), Hoffman (returning from injury) and Brown, Retre and Melling (fringe players) will be closely looked at.

I reckon most of these triallists will probably end up in the NYL team.

Starting players are probably being rested for the Friday match against Perth as well.

I agree with JW. This is much more of a Melbourne City XI side than a Melbourne City side.

Spot on me thinks, especially with the bigger game on Friday coming up.

You can't draw any parallel whatsoever between this game and what we'll see in round 1.

Not a bad game none the less. Nice seeing Brown start to get involved.

• Like 1